Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

twistedmentat posted:

There kept being squads of soldiers at the first and land landing spots before getting on the jet ski. Eventually I got it, but it was way more annoying than it should have been.

I'm doing Treasure Hunts because i still haven't found the MG42 or M1911.
MG42 just doesn't feel as awesome as in previous games, but I kept mine modded for explosive rounds for dealing with choppers - that is until I learned about EMP rounds. The 1911 was my go to headpopper when I wanted to be all stealthy sneaky like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah, the timer seems to reset when you reload the game. They also stack when they shouldn't, so you should just go to the cantina and unlock one, fast travel away and back so it sticks, and repeat until you have all of them.

Super nice having a permanent speed, ammo, collectibles etc boost

Do you really get all the boosts? It seems to me that the icon in the cantina is bugged and you can "select" all the different foods but if you look inside the main UI you will only see a single meal being active no matter how many icons are selected in the cantina.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

exquisite tea posted:

I just finished the Maduraga storyline and I want to recap how ridiculous this closing cinematic is.

Dani and Espada corner Jose Castillo, who gives the boilerplate "you cannot stand against Castillo" dying bad guy monologue before Espada shoves a grenade in his mouth. The heroes walk away with their backs turned in slow motion, not looking at the explosion like the cool guys they are. In the VERY next scene we cut to Anton Castillo and his son at a church in front of Jose's coffin. Giancarlo Esposito gives a stock "we are the lions, they are the lambs" speech as he throws his cigar to the ground, which somehow IGNITES the entire church floor like he had it covered in gasoline the whole time(?) and THEY walk away from the blaze in slow motion with their backs turned. Why did Anton even bother with having a casket made for his nephew and delivered to a church if he was just going to burn the whole thing to the ground? Monologuing with a lit cigar all around an apparently flammable floor seems kind of dangerous for the President of Yara to be doing, don't you think? It's like the writers couldn't decide if it would be cooler to have the heroes walk away slowly from Jose Castillo's corpse or the villains, so they left them both in.

It's SO completely stupid that I kind of love it. I was laughing for a solid minute after.

Not saying that it isn't dumb, but there were clearly soldiers milling around the church pouring gasoline on the floor during the speech. Maybe you were blinded by the incredible writing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Do you really get all the boosts? It seems to me that the icon in the cantina is bugged and you can "select" all the different foods but if you look inside the main UI you will only see a single meal being active no matter how many icons are selected in the cantina.

I can confirm that you do get all the boosts.

When you eat a new meal then you get set to only get that buff, but as soon as you fast-travel all the other ones come back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The game has an option to disable those obnoxious zone transition messages. Nice. Except that it still fades out the HUD on transitioning, it just hides the location text. loving Ubisoft. :psyduck:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Lone Badger posted:

I can confirm that you do get all the boosts.

When you eat a new meal then you get set to only get that buff, but as soon as you fast-travel all the other ones come back.

Oh sweet, I guess I played most of the game with all bonuses then. Probably why it felt kinda easy, not that I'm complaining though, I just wanted to shoot guns and blow poo poo up anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, holy crap, whatever performance issues (the copy protection in) Far Cry 6 is causing here, that oil rig in the north west, everything is like 20x worse there.

And I don't think the game doesn't really make proper use of RAM, anyway. Maybe this is related to random bad textures? Game's using 2.7GB of RAM right now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's likely Vmprotect again as that's what Ubi tends to use and VMP is pretty known for causing performance problems.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'll have to try to resist abusing the buff stacking bug since the game is easy enough as it is. I'm happy with just having the extra gadgets but it sounds like I may also have the defense buff on from earlier.

Speaking of bugs, the NPC who hosts the cock fights seems to have disappeared from my game. Perhaps PETA took him out. I don't really care as I already have the trophy and probably would never have touched it again anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ZombyDog posted:

MG42 just doesn't feel as awesome as in previous games, but I kept mine modded for explosive rounds for dealing with choppers - that is until I learned about EMP rounds. The 1911 was my go to headpopper when I wanted to be all stealthy sneaky like.

I just want all tht guns, but yea I've modded the m60 with blast rounds for choppers and planes because unless they're really close and low, the blooper and bow is hard to hit with.

And oh God the location transitions are annoying as gently caress, especially when you're on the boarder of two zones and it's constantly giving you the message.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
there's at least one stretch of highway where you hit 3 or 4 back to back and it's caused me to miss my turn multiple times

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Play posted:

For the gear swapping, it's not too bad for me because I just never swap gear since the game is too easy anyways I don't find a need to do that.

Yeah I have like, run speed, more stamina, and just some basic all around defense and I haven't felt any need to change anything in many hours of gameplay. As you say, game is easy enough as is. Where my hard difficulty at?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The game has an option to disable those obnoxious zone transition messages. Nice. Except that it still fades out the HUD on transitioning, it just hides the location text. loving Ubisoft. :psyduck:

Hah, yeah, I turned that off because it was just obnoxious enough, I'd be looking at my minimap and it would go away just to tell me I'm entering whatever region, but yeah it still fades out, wtf.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

i must compose posted:

I bought this stupidly and am gonna start playing tomorrow. Far cry is stupid easy what can I do to make it harder? Turn off the enemy highlights? Turn off the HUD? People on reddit say things but it's Reddit so I don't know what to believe. Also is it worth listening to the radio or should I just blast my own music (take me baby by Jimi tenor)

I left all highlights off, yeah. You can use weaker guns, that would be a big handicap. And I suppose you could also keep your original clothing on which brings no benefits. Don't play with any amigos.

It sucks that there isn't just a hard mode because handicapping yourself mostly involves just refusing to engage with certain elements of the game. That's not optimal but it will work.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, holy crap, whatever performance issues (the copy protection in) Far Cry 6 is causing here, that oil rig in the north west, everything is like 20x worse there.

And I don't think the game doesn't really make proper use of RAM, anyway. Maybe this is related to random bad textures? Game's using 2.7GB of RAM right now.

It seems to be very bad at properly utilizing multiple cores on the CPU.

Or something like that. I'm not very smart

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Yara story to get the Rooster Amigo is by far my favorite thing I've done so far.

Dani just talking to herself about the absurdity of the whole thing is the icing on the cake.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's all the same tired Ubisoft formula.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

AcidCat posted:

Hah, yeah, I turned that off because it was just obnoxious enough, I'd be looking at my minimap and it would go away just to tell me I'm entering whatever region, but yeah it still fades out, wtf.

I swear to god there’s a few areas on the map where borders of 4 or 5 little provinces meet close together and if you’re flying over one of those areas, crossing all those borders, these obnoxious screens just go full seizure mode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I was talking to my buddy at Ubisoft and i mentioned the complaints I've been seeing here, and he said that the spawning thing is being looked at. I literally died in a mission when one of the SpecOps Hummers spawned right on top of me.

Having the rooster as an amigo is hilarious because Dani is always acting scared around it. Also I always loved how Far Cry games have never be afraid to have legit supernatual stuff going on. I found a spooky house, but no aliens yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does the massive loving cat I just killed count as supernatural? That thing stood like 5 feet tall at the shoulders.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hilarious to discover that the HUD disappearing bug I've been experiencing is tied to the region announcements I had disabled.

Ubisoft always do a great job with HUD customisation, but there's always these sorts of issues too. Another thing I'd like to disable is the tutorials popup, but for some reason the indicator that tells you whether the vehicle you're in has been collected is classed as a tutorial. If you turn them off, you get nothing.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It does baffle me that the zone change thing taking your hud away got to retail. How did the testers not break down some devs door over this nonsense? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to cover up YOUR MAP during a situation that by definition only happens when YOU'RE TRAVELING?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone else have a hyperactive right-click button whenever you're trying to set waypoints on the map? I have the click on the icons at least 3-4 times to get the waypoints to stick.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq43rNsV1WQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fast cars loose anus posted:

It does baffle me that the zone change thing taking your hud away got to retail. How did the testers not break down some devs door over this nonsense? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to cover up YOUR MAP during a situation that by definition only happens when YOU'RE TRAVELING?

Also it's kind of pointless, because I can't think of a situation where you need to know if you've entered a new zone when you have a Mao you can set way points on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The internet angers me. I just want a list of all weapons and their stats, and all Google answers me is sites with useless info about the unique guns and poo poo.

--edit:
Also, considering the Madrugada end mission, why am I still seeing the place overrun by soldiers?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 23, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler question on the McKay on a ship mission

they tell you to leave him but instead I shot him in the head and then the butt and the mission seemed to end ok. What happens if you walk away like it tells you to?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Spoiler question on the McKay on a ship mission

they tell you to leave him but instead I shot him in the head and then the butt and the mission seemed to end ok. What happens if you walk away like it tells you to?

Not much, I think you get 5k yara bucks instead of the wrist thing.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm getting bad stutters or fps drops when driving, especially with RTX on. Is there any fix for this? Is driving a really big thing other than getting from one place to another? I don't want RTX off, it looks good.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm having similar issues. I'm blaming their copy protection. Every other games works just fine, including FC5 and New Dawn. So this should just as well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i must compose posted:

I'm getting bad stutters or fps drops when driving, especially with RTX on. Is there any fix for this? Is driving a really big thing other than getting from one place to another? I don't want RTX off, it looks good.

Enable FidelityFX Super Resolution. Unfortunately, you need to do this every play session because the setting doesn't save.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I did! Even at the ultra performance mode or whatever it's called it didn't make a difference. Ultra quality, ultra performance, same.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh cool what am i going to get at the end of this treasure hunt? Some of the gear I'm missing? A unique weapon? Oh Sumpremo Bond. thanks not like i have like 40 of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

i must compose posted:

RTX shadows honestly don't look that great in this game, I'd switch those off for the baked-in lighting. Reflections can stay though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There is next to zero difference between RTX on and off for 99% of the scenes in this game. Only rarely, when there's puddles on the ground after a rain, do the reflections get slightly better. It's a very small difference though. The shadows are the same both on and off, just ever so slightly softer with RT on, and only when it comes to sun shadows. There are parts where the shadows actually degrade in quality with RT on though. It's such a laughably bad implementation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wouldn't say that exactly, ray-traced reflections look quite nice on the surface of vehicles, glass, metallic objects, and mirrored surfaces, which end up comprising a lot of the game. I agree that shadows are barely noticeable and rather grainy looking though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The ray traced shadows and reflections offer very little benefit for the performance hit and the AMD DLSS equivalent is terrible (at least on my Nvidia card at an ultrawide resolution - maybe AMD cards handle it better?).
The latter makes everything noticeably fuzzy for next to no performance increase at any setting.
I'd recommend switching a few of the other settings from ultra to high too, as there's not any noticeable change for stuff like terrain and you'll gain a few FPS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

i must compose posted:

I did! Even at the ultra performance mode or whatever it's called it didn't make a difference. Ultra quality, ultra performance, same.
I guess you're definitely having the same issues as me. What CPU and what operating system?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This game looks like rear end on the PS5. Constant screen tearing and there's audio glitches and graphical glitches.
Why has this Far Cry game not thrown hundreds of weapons at me? All these weapons are so samey and it's been a while since I've gotten a resolver weapon or a supremo that would be better than the double jump jetpack

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't just throw the weapons at you, it throws them at you quickly

You'll have everything you'll ever need before you leave the first mainland area. This is the worst game design i've seen in a long time, certainly the worst designed far cry game. Even worse than the respawning checkpoints of 2 and forced kidnapping of 5. They have removed any real progression from the game. I assume this was some suit telling them to make the ultimate accessible game so it can't have actual challenge or progression gating with the idea that you can have fun 'playing your way!!!!' only the environment and map design don't really let you do anything. So you just kinda collect weapons and RESOLVER equipment like pogs in the first 3 hours of the game and then never use 90% of them because why bother? Environmental interactivity has seemingly gone backwards. Fences, AA guns and some trees can be destroyed. Such a dead static world. It's weird that we got games like Mercenaries and Red faction: Guerrilla and have been going backwards ever since in terms of affecting environments. This game is distilled modern ubisoft. This game is SO. loving. BAD.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

It doesn't just throw the weapons at you, it throws them at you quickly

You'll have everything you'll ever need before you leave the first mainland area. This is the worst game design i've seen in a long time, certainly the worst designed far cry game. Even worse than the respawning checkpoints of 2 and forced kidnapping of 5. They have removed any real progression from the game. I assume this was some suit telling them to make the ultimate accessible game so it can't have actual challenge or progression gating with the idea that you can have fun 'playing your way!!!!' only the environment and map design don't really let you do anything. So you just kinda collect weapons and RESOLVER equipment like pogs in the first 3 hours of the game and then never use 90% of them because why bother? Environmental interactivity has seemingly gone backwards. Fences, AA guns and some trees can be destroyed. Such a dead static world. It's weird that we got games like Mercenaries and Red faction: Guerrilla and have been going backwards ever since in terms of affecting environments. This game is distilled modern ubisoft. This game is SO. loving. BAD.

Acquiring weapons too quickly and the complete lack of difficulty are problems; but I absolutely do not think they’re worse than the forced kidnappings. That poo poo ruined 5 for me.