Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stratdax posted:

The grips could have pointed a light at a character's face every now and then, would have been nice.
Fremen spend most of their time in the dark, so the movie should be dark too. :colbert:

Uncle Enzo posted:

Favorite part of the movie was, surprisingly to me, the Atreides sign language. It makes me wonder if it's... real? Like obviously it's not a language that people sign every day or whatever, but "real" like how Tolkein's Elvish is real in that you can actually learn to read and speak it if you wanted to. It has rules and spelling and pronunciation. It's synthetic but it's still "real".

Like, did they actually have someone knowledgeable about signing invent a lightweight one-handed sign language for them? Don't rule it out, it was done for spoken languages for the Na'vi, for the Dothraki, Elves, Klingon, and probably more.

Or poo poo did they just use one-handed signs from ASL and call it good. Cause god that was so cool.
I'm decent at Danish Sign Language, and can do some ASL, and I'm pretty sure they just made up some stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Enzo posted:

Favorite part of the movie was, surprisingly to me, the Atreides sign language. It makes me wonder if it's... real? Like obviously it's not a language that people sign every day or whatever, but "real" like how Tolkein's Elvish is real in that you can actually learn to read and speak it if you wanted to. It has rules and spelling and pronunciation. It's synthetic but it's still "real".

Like, did they actually have someone knowledgeable about signing invent a lightweight one-handed sign language for them? Don't rule it out, it was done for spoken languages for the Na'vi, for the Dothraki, Elves, Klingon, and probably more.

Or poo poo did they just use one-handed signs from ASL and call it good. Cause god that was so cool.

The battle language was such a welcome surprise, and so well done. :swoon:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah the sign language, and the different house battle languages were all super cool. Loved that. I liked how they all sounded harsh af too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm curious for all the people saying it was too dark if you saw it in 3D.

I don't care what anyone says it makes the movie darker

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

kiimo posted:

no, I would never.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The TV I saw it on is already completely hosed so I might not have a representative experience. Either it's totally screwed or my eyes and ears are. Maybe both.

The worm being almost pitch black was something that jumped out

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The way data compression algorithms work is by dropping details it thinks you're unlikely to notice. The first of these is the difference between shades of black in dark scenes. If your stream was throttled in any way and they had to lower your bitrate even further than the already mediocre level allowed at the maximum quality, it's not surprising you'd find dark scenes the hardest to pick out detail in. That's not even going into the absolute poo poo black levels of a lot of TVs, and the absolutely execrable default settings of almost any consumer-grade TV out-of-the-box. A brighter picture usually reads as 'better' to the eye on the floor of a flourescent-lit big box store, so almost all TVs are wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too bright with hosed up contrast by default.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 23, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'm glad they got rid of the suspicion that Jessica might be a spy, and of Duncan's drunken slurred slut-shaming. If they still want to have Gurney be suspicious of Jessica when they cross paths again he can come to suspect her on his own.

I liked Jessica's seeming lack of makeup. I'm 100% confident that Rebecca Ferguson had professionally applied makeup on, right, but it didn't look like it. Like, that's not as much a thing for women of her status in that culture. I also liked how it played her down as a sex object and weighted more as a near-psychic hyper-competent fighter and speaker of 4+ languages who has the Duke's trust.

Also did anyone else catch the throwback to 1984 Dune with the Harko translucent plastic clothes for people around the Baron? Straight out of the heartplug scene.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Nah, I saw it IMAX. It's darker than it was in the trailer. The scene def happens at night, like it's described in the book, I think Herbert even describes it like the worm blocks out all moonlight.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I saw it on a very large television and it never seemed too dark to me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm glad they got rid of the suspicion that Jessica might be a spy, and of Duncan's drunken slurred slut-shaming. If they still want to have Gurney be suspicious of Jessica when they cross paths again he can come to suspect her on his own.

I liked Jessica's seeming lack of makeup. I'm 100% confident that Rebecca Ferguson had professionally applied makeup on, right, but it didn't look like it. Like, that's not as much a thing for women of her status in that culture. I also liked how it played her down as a sex object and weighted more as a near-psychic hyper-competent fighter and speaker of 4+ languages who has the Duke's trust.

Also did anyone else catch the throwback to 1984 Dune with the Harko translucent plastic clothes for people around the Baron? Straight out of the heartplug scene.

yea I enjoyed this take on Jessica, less dancing around ~who does she really serve~ and much more direct 'she's part of a hosed up religious system but she is loyal to her family above all'.

Also as hilariously 'tune in for part 2!!!!' the end was I actually really liked the amtal scene. After so many graceful and massive fights it was really fitting for Paul's first real one to be 'lol you're literally a pampered little rich boy who's never killed anyone before' vs a guy just pissed off said pampered little rich boy and his mom were being let into their tribe so easy, just a really almost flailing at times fight.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TV calibration is an entire minefield of technical details and snakeoil salespeople that's best avoided unless you're extremely nerdy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Or you just look up the setting https://www.rtings.com/ used for whatever model you have. :shrug:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Saw this in theatre Thursday and at a friends house Friday. The big screen was better in every way except for the sound mixing. I swear there was dialogue where all that happens is a character's lips move and a subwoofer vibrates my inner ear, but the talking was all clear when watching from home. At first I thought Paul's vision scenes on spice were incredibly well done and haunting but during the rewatch I realized they were merely ok and the fact I was tripping on spiceacid added the extra oomph.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah this is a highly :2bong: compatible movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah this is a highly :2bong: compatible movie

paul had at least one terrible horrible no good very bad trip

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

Or you just look up the setting https://www.rtings.com/ used for whatever model you have. :shrug:
My TV isn't listed on there, so I think it's a pretty tall order to assume they cover every single TV.
Plus, there's always the possibility that a panel gets interchanged with another during a production cycle, invalidating whatever results are listed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Uncle Enzo posted:

Unless some maniac invented an entire signing conlang whole cloth for this movie nope. The whole point of their little gesture code in the book iirc is that it's a secret signal a non-initiate could totally miss, masked as incidental gestures, and it doesn't even get mentioned in basically any other adaptation I can think of. Also unlike elvish or Klingon or whateverthere's no explication of what it actually looks like in the original story

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Buller posted:

Im not even sure if the USA numbers even matter looking at this. The world loved Dune https://imgur.com/a/nFyuU25

Releasing on HBOMAX means that they don't have to give even the slightest cut to the theaters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This movie definitely wasn’t too dark to see anything and if you think so, your tv/local theater is probably poo poo. If anything it wasn’t dark enough. Only the night battle bits in Arrakeen really scanned as being in the dark. The desert sky should probably have been a lot darker with stars visible and such. I get that they have two moons but still.

I found this movie enjoyable but, as with Lynch Dune, mostly in relation to the book. It’s cool to see things realized from the page and re-realized from Lynch Dune (loved the floating fat man, for example). Theater was almost entirely empty. I’m not sure it has enough going on to capture the attention of someone who is not already into Dune. Also the intro with the Zendaya monologue is quite bad, weakest scene of the movie imo. Best is bagpipe attack

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skasion posted:

Theater was almost entirely empty.

Wild. 450 seat IMAX was completely filled where I am. Guessing state to state it's going to be very different.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, showings in san mateo were filled to the gills while showings in san bruno like 10 miles away were empty

i really dont know what goes on there

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Wild. 450 seat IMAX was completely filled where I am. Guessing state to state it's going to be very different.

Yeah idk. I’m gonna see imax next weekend on the other side of the country so we’ll see

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
If the movie looked too dark, you were watching on a poo poo screen. I was at a dolby theater and had no problems with the dark scenes and discerning details in them.

And the movie was great as a Dune fan, but the pacing felt off enough that I don't think it's an awesome movie as a movie. Might be different with a directors cut that's hours long, but as it is now, it's just an okay movie that's exceptional if you have any knowledge of Dune.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Film good. I was slightly impaired by having to piss several times and the theater being as far away from the pissoir as possible, but that's the fortunes of war.

I saw it in 2D and IMAX and I had no trouble making out details and seeing things in the night/dark scenes, though I could tell that, yes, they were genuinely dim. I suspect this is either theater adjustment or people being blinded by their trust in the Harkonnens.

There was a change that seems likely to be meaningful in the second film and the finale, which is that the "Shield Wall" was presented as a literal barricade that was protecting Arrakeen from the outer desert. This is very visually efficient, but I think it would weaken the eventual conclusion unless it's supposed to demolish Arrakeen outright.

The Baron was very intimidating.

I noticed that the dialogue was for the most part very... casual, or at least it was clearly the same ideas but being expressed in more conversational, modern language. I wonder how that will hold up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The most interesting “modernized” thing to me was Paul’s doubts about his position as the heir and Leto’s warm fuzzy dad response to it from all the trailers. I get the effect they’re going for and they got it, it’s still just kind of funny to think about in a Herbert context

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

The most interesting “modernized” thing to me was Paul’s doubts about his position as the heir and Leto’s warm fuzzy dad response to it from all the trailers. I get the effect they’re going for and they got it, it’s still just kind of funny to think about in a Herbert context
Yeah they very efficiently got across Leto's character without layering it on too hard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

i liked it as a translation of the duke's 'taht... is my son' musings

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

pnumoman posted:

If the movie looked too dark, you were watching on a poo poo screen. I was at a dolby theater and had no problems with the dark scenes and discerning details in them.

And the movie was great as a Dune fan, but the pacing felt off enough that I don't think it's an awesome movie as a movie. Might be different with a directors cut that's hours long, but as it is now, it's just an okay movie that's exceptional if you have any knowledge of Dune.

IMAX = poo poo screen I guess.

edit: plus I'm skipping through the movie on my 4k oled right now. The cinematography is still grueling, dull, and monochrome, which was more my overall criticism anyway rather than just "too dark". Especially during desert scenes. And nobody has any interior lights.

ANYWAY I'm curious about what people thought of Dave Bautista. Normally I think he's a fine actor for the roles he takes but here I thought his line readings kind of missed the mark. Especially when he shouts. Other than that I thought the casting was *chef's kiss*.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 24, 2021

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

stratdax posted:

edit: plus I'm skipping through the movie on my 4k oled right now. The cinematography is still grueling, dull, and monochrome, which was more my overall criticism anyway rather than just "too dark". Especially during desert scenes. And nobody has any interior lights.

ANYWAY I'm curious about what people thought of Dave Bautista. Normally I think he's a fine actor for the roles he takes but here I thought his line readings kind of missed the mark. Especially when he shouts. Other than that I thought the casting was *chef's kiss*.

IMAX alone isn't indicative of quality, it just means something (actually very little) about the projection tech being used. There was one theater near me that was billed as IMAX and all that but noone liked going there because the image was always dark as gently caress. And if you go to a digital projection IMAX, you're not even getting the actual IMAX experience with 70mm film and a legit dangerous light bulb, instead you're getting some bullshit retrofit. But they're all called IMAX so you have to do your research.

And while I kinda agree with you on the cinematography, I'm reserving judgement because I'm waiting for the sietch scenes. If they're not a riot of color, I'll probably be inclined to agree with you.

Bautista was great, I just took his speech to be part of the whole "Harkonnen be weird" thing

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

stratdax posted:

I thought he was a clever bit of casting since his character is called "the beast", and at one point the Baron even calls him a "muscle-minded tank brain". So clueless brutal meathead fits. The Baron's plan is to deliberately have a governor on Arrakis so oppressive and unpopular that when he replaces him with his chosen successor, his nephew Feyd-Rautha, the people of Arrakis will supposedly welcome him.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you're gonna watch the Lynch movie, watch the Alternative Edition Redux - it's a fan-edit made out of segments of both editions of the movie (both theatrical and home-video), as well as a bunch from the directors cut as well as extras.
It also changes the movie to be more in line with Frank Herberts message, instead of making Paul have literal magic powers.

thanks we will watch this. Do they remove the part where he makes it rain? Ive only read the one book but that part seems stupid

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Vashro posted:

thanks we will watch this. Do they remove the part where he makes it rain? Ive only read the one book but that part seems stupid

Like several other elements of the Lynch movie (sonic weapons) it's taking a seed of something that was inspired by something similar in the books (i.e. The Voice, terraforming Arrakis 'with a wave of his hand' as Emperor), but then made stupidly literal in the movie.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
one thing i will say about the color is i was really interested in the old ecological station scene. They had extremely green and nice plants!

that whole part was pretty cool imo.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I watched it on a nearly ten years old 1080p LCD screen that was cheap and lovely even when it was brand new and it looked fine to me.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Watched this in IMAX and later at home: I didn't feel either approach had any issues with brightness in my experience. I thought the desert landscapes were gorgeous, personally. However, I will say that in the IMAX, some of the abrupt shifts from darker scenes to light scenes would make my eyes hurt briefly.

Overall, I really liked this, but I would have liked to have seen Thufir, Yueh, Piter, and Gurney have more screentime and I hope they do en up having meaningful roles in part 2 (other than Piter). I found it interesting that nearly every "joke" in the movie was represented in the trailers, and beyond that the movie was relatively humorless (which I don't mean as a detraction.) I think they could have benefited showing the trip from the landing field to the palace structure on ground, maybe, rather than air to give a closer, more personal view of city. They probably could have bundled some of the scenes of the Madhi worshippers in this part. I was impressed with the depiction of Salusa Secundus and the Sardukar. Jamis' death and Paul's vision of the jihaad in the tent were moving scenes to me.

I'm anxious to see how the Emperor is portrayed in part 2 and would like to see more Guild stuff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Vashro posted:

Yes. The fan edit cant polish the turd that is the WEIRDINGMODULEZ but it does a great job of making the lynch version much more coherent and a better adaptation of the book. It even includes the “Book 2: Dune” and Princess Irulan quote interludes.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Do sandworms have buttholes?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dunite posted:

short answer no. longer answer no. They most likely have a cloaca. like most worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Dunite posted:

Yes, and they are extremely spicy.

Children of Dune posted:

But the excesses of the creature's heat-transfer system still churned up a cyclone oven behind him in the quickening storm. Fremen children learned the dangers of this position near the worm's tail with their earliest stories. Worms were oxygen factories; fire burned wildly in their passage, fed by the lavish exhalations from the chemical adaptations to friction within them.