Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you're the actual richest man in the world, why would you build such a boring yacht?

Build something stupid, like this, go all out:

presumably if half a billion dollars gets you his boring yacht then its because something like that thing isn't possible for all the money in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you're the actual richest man in the world, why would you build such a boring yacht?

years and years and tens of thousands of dollars to go to architecture and design school just to have some rich idiot micromanage you into filling up 20% of the deck with a loving parking lot ahahaha

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does the helicopter pilot have to take off and fly circles around the yacht every time you want to play tennis?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1451919195562815488?s=20

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pretty sure they'd be fine with legalizing child labor regardless of anything else buddy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GotLag posted:

Does the helicopter pilot have to take off and fly circles around the yacht every time you want to play tennis?

dont be silly, the helicopter is stored on the helicopter yacht, it only goes to the prime yacht when the owner is going on shore

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Raising the minimum wage is good when you have a surplus of workers and you want to make sure those working aren’t exploited for pennies.

We should raise the minimum wage, but Now the problem is that we have a labor shortage and minimum wage jobs can’t get people at minimum wage, or $10 or sometimes $15 an hour.

Capital needs to accept that some lovely businesses that don’t want to offer $20 an hour for decent workers are just gonna get driven out of business to those that can, but no better expand the labor pool with literal children working till 11:00 on a school night instead.

Funny enough we could plug the labor shortage with immigrants but chud small business owners aren’t desperate enough to give up their racism yet

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

Raising the minimum wage is good when you have a surplus of workers and you want to make sure those working aren’t exploited for pennies.

We should raise the minimum wage, but Now the problem is that we have a labor shortage and minimum wage jobs can’t get people at minimum wage, or $10 or sometimes $15 an hour.

Capital needs to accept that some lovely businesses that don’t want to offer $20 an hour for decent workers are just gonna get driven out of business to those that can, but no better expand the labor pool with literal children working till 11:00 on a school night instead.

Funny enough we could plug the labor shortage with immigrants but chud small business owners aren’t desperate enough to give up their racism yet

It's scary how much this parallels parts of Volume 1 of Capital.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there really a shortage of labor or a shortage of laborers who want to deal with fuckwits?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Neither. There are enough laborers to fill all jobs, and they are actively applying for jobs. But they are mostly all competing for the best jobs available. Once those are filled, they will compete for the next-best jobs available, and so forth. The small business tyrants trying to get by paying minimum wage will eventually have their jobs filled, if they can survive that long. Could be a year or even more.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for this to be some kind of thing where society has discovered a cheat code to decentralized general strikes or something, but we haven't, there's just a lot of jobs to fill, and it takes time to fill them. Some businesses are realizing that they need to raise their wages to be serviced faster and some refuse. The results will probably be a net good for workers, but I don't think it will be anything world changing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

that must have a seakeeping ability of “lol”

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

whatever happened to those seasteading libertarians

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

whatever happened to those seasteading libertarians

Claimed by the sea

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

these billionaires have such boring taste. give me a yacht fitted out like a sailing flagship. 1000 hand carved life scale wooden mermaids lining the outside. a cannon i can shoot for fun

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a yacht is a sign that you spend money to keep up w the billionaire joneses, not an autonomous want

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sylink posted:

Is there really a shortage of labor or a shortage of laborers who want to deal with fuckwits?

For my entire life up until about a year ago business owners and hiring managers (often correctly) operated under the assumption that there was an unlimited pool of workers champing at the bit to pick up any minimum
Wage job. Now that’s not the case so instead of adjusting their wages to reflect the market conditions they cry about “WHY DOESNT ANYONE WANNA WORK ANYMORE??!?” Some will learn and maybe hire some 3rd rate employees for more then they’d like to pay and some will just end up closing their doors.

But I don’t think we’re ever going back to $7.50 an hour again regardless of what the federal minimum wage is

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Oct 24, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a yacht is a sign that you spend money to keep up w the billionaire joneses, not an autonomous want

im gonna shoot my cannon at billionaire jones

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why they stick missile defense poo poo on there if you ask nicely and pay 8 figures

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42NFeAyxSE0

DON'T, shoot your landlords.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Nastier Nate posted:

If you raise the minimum wage enough you can pull workers back into the labour pool. Folks who don't even show up in the unemployment statistics because they aren't looking for work. A parent staying at home looking after a small child may return to work if the job pays enough to cover childcare with a meaningful amount left over. Students and NEETs who are wholly dependant on parental support may take a part time job if it will make a noticeable improvement in their standard of living.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you raise the minimum wage enough you can pull workers back into the labour pool. Folks who don't even show up in the unemployment statistics because they aren't looking for work. A parent staying at home looking after a small child may return to work if the job pays enough to cover childcare with a meaningful amount left over. Students and NEETs who are wholly dependant on parental support may take a part time job if it will make a noticeable improvement in their standard of living.

that sound nice but here me out for a second: what if instead we kept min wage same or lower, so as to force people back to work or starve! then they would be basically obligated to keep working for crap conditions, and nothing else would ever possibly happen but that outcome haha im a genius

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bezos' yacht isn't for doing yacht stuff. Like having parties, swimming, sunning, all that. Bezos' yacht is to distract the press, bystanders, people with camera drones, and others.

When Bezos has the urge to do yacht things he rides his yacht into a harbor, checks out the other boats, and picks one he likes. Then he has a private security team sieze it, kick off anybody who is using it, and Bezos transfers over from his own yacht in a tiny invisible minisub. THEN he does yacht stuff there.

Eventually the yacht is returned to its original owner. Probably.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Facebook Aunt posted:

i dunno thats like saying you have a whole bunch of people who arent working but would be willing to for lets say $15 an hour, and they know it would only be profitable to make at least that amount but they are waiting for the government to set the minimum wage at $15 rather then going out and applying for jobs that pay $15 an hour right now (which is a lot more jobs then ever before given a labor shortage)

raising the minimum wage is important but i dont think it does anything to address the issue of a "labor shortage" if thats something we wanted to address in a method other then telling businesses who can't attract workers with good pay and conditions on their own accord, to gently caress off and shut down, and let the ones who can take over

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Nastier Nate posted:

raising the minimum wage is important but i dont think it does anything to address the issue of a "labor shortage" if thats something we wanted to address in a method other then telling businesses who can't attract workers with good pay and conditions on their own accord, to gently caress off and shut down, and let the ones who can take over

:capitalism:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
late to the work pre employment drug test chat but you can get novelty urine for 20$. They arent entitled to your real piss don't give it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I give away my piss for free because I believe in helping people :colbert: most people just slap the bottle out of my hand and call the police though

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Most people have the taste to prefer fresh over bottled.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Danaru posted:

I give away my piss for free because I believe in helping people :colbert: most people just slap the bottle out of my hand and call the police though

as the old saying goes, dont look a piss horse in the mouth

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Actually people are really into aged urine these days, buy yourselves some nice oak barrels and you'll have people lining up for a taste

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vashro posted:

late to the work pre employment drug test chat but you can get novelty urine for 20$. They arent entitled to your real piss don't give it

what's novelty about it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

what's novelty about it

not much, what's novelty about you?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Failed Imagineer posted:

what's novelty about it

It's how it has to be marketed. In most states you can't just slap "pass your drug test!" on the packaging so it has to be labeled as novelty synthetic urine.

I bought one once called Golden Shower, generic rear end packaging. I passed my drug test though.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

youre a good friend no matter what they say

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if anyone is feeling scared, i have some leftover grandson pee i can give you

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

God Hole posted:

if anyone is feeling scared, i have some leftover grandson pee i can give you

Ew that's gross

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BigHead posted:

Ew that's capitalism

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

No one pointed out the funniest part of this, the criminal background check required of people already employed at the place, required to do free work for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There is an argument to be made that Scandinavia has increased labour supply by having near universal child- and eldercare, because women are participating in the formal economy.