Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KinkyJohn posted:

Hey GBS covid-19 thread, how safe and totally not dumb is it to put a 1 year old baby without a mask on a 3 hour plane ride?

kid's gonna get sick as poo poo

I had moderna 3 back in September and am planning moderna 4 ("1") in January. loving endlessly juice me because I'm not getting this goddamned virus as long as I possibly can hold out against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Safety: 0/10

It’s a fundamentally unsafe activity.

Dumbness: 3/10

The majority of people would do it at this point. It just isn’t exceptionally dumb.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Purgatory Glory posted:

Oh I thought the vials were the 3 vaccines. I could what looks like pfizer and j and j.

You and I have very different definitions of what a vial is

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KinkyJohn posted:

Hey GBS covid-19 thread, how safe and totally not dumb is it to put a 1 year old baby without a mask on a 3 hour plane ride?

Might be fine, might get sick, will probably just sleep the entire time if you time it for nap time. Bring your car seat and keep it there on the window seat for the duration. If you didn't buy an extra seat I'd recommend doing so.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

We had to do this last summer on a 6 hour plane ride, but numbers were lower and we had no choice. Don't travel if you can avoid it.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Well, some combo of the Pfizer booster, flu shot, or the fact that I had them on the same day hosed my poo poo UP this week. Fever and chills and body aches for three full days and a lot of general malaise the last two. Holy hell.

Anyway it's way, way better than actually getting sick with either of those things. One billion times better than getting intubated.

Flu vaccine this year messed my wife and myself up for 36 hours. Worse than either of us had with Pfizer/AZ for Covid.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Might be fine, might get sick, will probably just sleep the entire time if you time it for nap time. Bring your car seat and keep it there on the window seat for the duration. If you didn't buy an extra seat I'd recommend doing so.

Open the window to get some fresh air in and you'll be fine.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

kid's gonna get sick as poo poo

I had moderna 3 back in September and am planning moderna 4 ("1") in January. loving endlessly juice me because I'm not getting this goddamned virus as long as I possibly can hold out against it.

Hell yeah team #gigavaxx

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KinkyJohn posted:

I know people are already chiming in, but I'd say to really answer the question we'd need to know more information: Why is the trip being made? Are there other options beside air travel? Where is the trip being made to and from?

It's hard to give a good answer on relative safety and dumbness without knowing a little more.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know people are already chiming in, but I'd say to really answer the question we'd need to know more information: Why is the trip being made? Are there other options beside air travel? Where is the trip being made to and from?

It's hard to give a good answer on relative safety and dumbness without knowing a little more.

I get what you're saying but I think you're saying it kinda roughly: it's the same dumbness and risk regardless of why where and how, it's the reasonability of doing it that then comes into play.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m a thread lightweight it is known and even I am saying gently caress no.

Unless you are literally moving countries for good then don’t travel by air - long rear end road trip if it’s really important but here’s the thing, baby is too old to have had the benefit of having mum vaccinated while pregnant so you 100% want them under a rain cover to keep them safe from mouth breathing chud morons out in public, and you can’t do that on a plane.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
place babby in checked baggage

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The kind of person who thinks it's okay to get up in a stranger baby's face and touch it and breathe all over it and say ooh and ahh give me a kiss *mwah* is probably the kind of person to refuse a vaccine

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I get what you're saying but I think you're saying it kinda roughly: it's the same dumbness and risk regardless of why where and how, it's the reasonability of doing it that then comes into play.

In a sense I'm just saying it is hard to estimate risk/reward or potential cost/benefit without knowing more about the situation. And the level of risk aversion the person in question has - acceptable risk is going to be an individual variable.

For instance, "flying to Florida to meet healthy but unvaccinated grandparents" is going to be a different calculation than "flying to Oregon to meet vaccinated but dying grandparents," or at least it should be a different calculation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's basically no way to mask a 1 year-old, so how safe would you feel walking around unmasked in an airport right now?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In a sense I'm just saying it is hard to estimate risk/reward or potential cost/benefit without knowing more about the situation. And the level of risk aversion the person in question has - acceptable risk is going to be an individual variable.

For instance, "flying to Florida to meet healthy but unvaccinated grandparents" is going to be a different calculation than "flying to Oregon to meet vaccinated but dying grandparents," or at least it should be a different calculation.

Nah OP wasn't asking for a full cost/benefit analysis, the question was way simpler than that and only asked about risk in a vacuum:

KinkyJohn posted:

to which the correct response is "very not safe, totally dumb". There can be specific situations that may lead one to decide to ignore the risk and do it anyway, but that has nothing to do with the risk itself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Nah OP wasn't asking for a full cost/benefit analysis, the question was way simpler than that and only asked about risk in a vacuum:

to which the correct response is "very not safe, totally dumb". There can be specific situations that may lead one to decide to ignore the risk and do it anyway, but that has nothing to do with the risk itself.

I'd say that's where the individual variation in risk aversion comes up, as well as how significant you consider the "where" and "why" of the question. Personally I find the initial question terms too vague to give a more specific answer to.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say that's where the individual variation in risk aversion comes up, as well as how significant you consider the "where" and "why" of the question. Personally I find the initial question terms too vague to give a more specific answer to.

When you say "risk aversion" that's the response to the risk. The risk should be assessed separately from that. Although the "where" and the "why" do play a factor here, since the origin and destination airports may matter (but imo when it comes to major airports in the US I doubt the differences are significant)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dumb is a value judgment though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Scarodactyl posted:

Dumb is a value judgment though.

Suspiciously sweaty dude in a maga hat sat behind your infant who just coughed and lifted his mask to wipe his mouth does not know what that means.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
What are you basing your "hell no" answers on? From what I've read, planes are extremely well ventilated and you're only really sharing air with a few people in the seats around you. Have airplanes been linked to outbreaks more than I'm aware of? Of course being in the airport in crowded lines is a different situation but I feel like the risk is reasonable, wearing N95s or equivalent, and getting covid tests before, after and during travel. And the risk to kids, while real, is significantly less than the risk to adults.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

why though? the baby is being put at risk either way. the grandparents don't matter because we're concerned about the baby, not the grandparents.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why though? the baby is being put at risk either way. the grandparents don't matter because we're concerned about the baby, not the grandparents.

Because in the former case I would say it was significant risk and very dumb, while in the latter case I would say it was lower risk (relative to Florida) and much less dumb. Going to see meemaw and pawpaw in their chud retirement community in Florida between them hopping on cruises versus taking the risk so responsible grandparents in a state with much better covid numbers can see their grandchild for the first and perhaps only time are very different scenarios to my mind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

boquiabierta posted:

What are you basing your "hell no" answers on? From what I've read, planes are extremely well ventilated and you're only really sharing air with a few people in the seats around you. Have airplanes been linked to outbreaks more than I'm aware of? Of course being in the airport in crowded lines is a different situation but I feel like the risk is reasonable, wearing N95s or equivalent, and getting covid tests before, after and during travel. And the risk to kids, while real, is significantly less than the risk to adults.

Getting on an airplane involves spending time in an airport. Planes may be well ventilated but airports are the same as they ever were. Most airports have people eating and drinking, and you aren't required to mask up while eating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We should allow smoking on airplanes once again if modern airliners are so well-ventilated.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the covid death rate for a baby (assuming no other major health issues) is negligible -- like there have been fewer than 1000 covid deaths total in the US in the under 14 age group since the start of the pandemic, and even if there's organ damage, the baby organs start to fall out and get replaced by adult organs at age 6.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

the covid death rate for a baby (assuming no other major health issues) is negligible -- like there have been fewer than 1000 covid deaths total in the US in the under 14 age group since the start of the pandemic, and even if there's organ damage, the baby organs start to fall out and get replaced by adult organs at age 6.

:hmmyes:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

We should allow smoking on airplanes once again if modern airliners are so well-ventilated.

From what I heard that is actually related to why they think airplanes haven't been implicated like cruises and such. The air conditioning systems were designed to handle cigarette smoke, and with smoking bans taking effect the airlines dialed back on the air conditioning since it could save a little bit of fuel not running them at full capacity. With covid they turned the AC back up to a higher level, which improves the ventilation.

In my anecdotal experience this makes sense, since I remember back in the cigarette days the overhead air jets were way more powerful, and then in the early 2000s were totally anemic by way of comparison.

A quick search suggests that maybe the ability to control air conditioning is not universal, but not totally outside the bounds of reason for some planes.

https://askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplanes-ventilation-study-covid-19/index.html
https://www.dw.com/en/how-safe-is-flying-during-the-covid-pandemic/a-57284835

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

loudog999 posted:

Day two of Moderna booster. I got a small case of the chills last night and that was fine, but it seems like my arm pain is much worse than last time. I was back at work the day after both of the first ones, not sure I could work this time. Thankfully Saturday is one of my normal days off.

I just have pain around the shot, but as a completely novel symptom the lymph nodes on the shot side armpit and groin are swollen. Headache as well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

lymph nodes on the shot side armpit and groin are swollen

nicki minaj was right :stare:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I just have pain around the shot, but as a completely novel symptom the lymph nodes on the shot side armpit and groin are swollen. Headache as well.

Yep, armpit is super achy too. At this point, it hurts more than the actual injection site. I think this happened after my second one as well, my lymph nodes in my neck were also swollen for quite awhile afterwards. I read that it was a common thing?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

The Spleen Fairy only gave me a drat quarter

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

liz posted:

Yep, armpit is super achy too. At this point, it hurts more than the actual injection site. I think this happened after my second one as well, my lymph nodes in my neck were also swollen for quite awhile afterwards. I read that it was a common thing?

Those are actually buboes. You've been injected with the Plague, sorry. Common mistake.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

Oh, are we back to only talking about death rates, and pretending like long covid doesn't exist?

Sure, we are detecting a 7-fold increase in myocarditis among healthy athletes after a positive covid-19 test but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, are we back to only talking about death rates, and pretending like long covid doesn't exist?

Sure, we are detecting a 7-fold increase in myocarditis among healthy athletes after a positive covid-19 test but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about

You may have slightly misinterpreted the tone that post you quoted. :ssh:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You may have slightly misinterpreted the tone that post you quoted. :ssh:

Could be I am just so loving sick of assholes on the internet making that exact argument, "oh hardly any babies have died at all!" so it's hard to tell whether some unfunny person is trying to do it ironically

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Could be I am just so loving sick of assholes on the internet making that exact argument, "oh hardly any babies have died at all!" so it's hard to tell whether some unfunny person is trying to do it ironically

Sounds like someone still has their baby organs.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Typical demonrat. Worried about the baby after it's birth but not before :rolleyes:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I got my booster like 9 hours ago and I haven’t felt anything yet.

My second shot put me down for three days. Maybe they gave me a placebo. I don’t even have pain at the injection site. Feeling ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moderna booster is a small dose, but Pfizer booster is a regular dose. Regular Moderna seems to last longer than regular Pfizer, but the regular Moderna is a larger shot than regular Pfizer. Should the booster for Moderna be better or is the regular shot's longevity due to its size?