Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FISHMANPET posted:

You don't want to install LTSC branches on desktops, the official word is that Windows 10 LTSC is for, like, aircraft control computers. I think there are some technical limitations why certain apps won't work on LTSC, but also I think it's a ploy by Microsoft (that I happen to agree with) to make LTSC as painful to use as possible, otherwise every enterprise would just install LTSC and do big fleet-wide upgrades every 5 years like they did with XP/Vista/7/8/ etc instead of sticking with the rolling releases.

I manage ~1500 LTSC systems. Instrument control machines, mass spectrometers, MRIs, plate reader robots, liquid chromatographs (we've got someone who figured out how to do 2D liquid chromatography). And that number is going up as the Win7 systems get migrated.

All pets, no cattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but a second virtual nic doesn’t make any sense.

ohhh I didn't see that, I thought i meant adding a second physical NIC and then using that for management purposes for the hosts/vms. Both things are dumb though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Counterpoint: LTSC on desktops is fine and good, and there are no hidden catches or gotchas. The only real stumbling block is that as a release gets old, it’s CPU support will lag behind releases and it will flip out on newer kit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please don't use LTSC. :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Explorer posted:

Please don't use LTSC. :(
Seeing LTSC means someone somewhere has chosen to use Windows wrongly. Sometimes in cases like mllaneza mentions it's the hardware vendor and you're stuck with it, but using it should be considered a last resort.

If your use case can not tolerate automatic updates, it shouldn't be running Windows 10 desktop edition and probably shouldn't be running Windows at all.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 25, 2021

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Seeing LTSC means someone somewhere has chosen to use Windows wrongly.
Seriously, unless a vendor is specifically telling you "You must use LTSC because ..." then you should almost universally reject using it.

Yes, it works.

But you know what also "works"? Half the bullshit that everyone here has seen when they walk into a new job and make this face: :catstare:

Do future you a favor and save us all a "I hate this job" post; don't do this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Note that Microsoft doesn’t actually give many concrete reasons not to use it.
I don’t want to die on this hill but other than hardware support, there’s not much reason it will ever cause you an issue.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

it's literally the "nuclear option" operating system. As in, nuclear subs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just off the top of my head, you're not going to get access to the Windows Store and you're going to make Azure AD Hybrid Join a lot more of a pain in the rear end.

I'd argue that there's no good reason to use it outside of the already discussed very specialized use cases.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
About once a year, someone yeets into a call with the Windows client team and says, "Hey, have you thought about LTSC?"

We don't even have a prepared statement for them, unless you count, "everyone goes off mute simultaneously and groans into their microphones while our product owner says 'NO'" to be a statement.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Note that Microsoft doesn’t actually give many concrete reasons not to use it.
I don’t want to die on this hill but other than hardware support, there’s not much reason it will ever cause you an issue.

As I understand it, non LTSC versions of Office will Soon :tm: no longer run on Windows 10 LTSC. This means no connecting to O365 services from Office on those desktops.
Microsoft's statements have long been if it's a user's "daily driver" machine LTSC is not appropriate. I would expect them to get more "forceful" about this as time goes on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wolrah posted:

If your use case can not tolerate automatic updates, it shouldn't be running Windows 10 desktop edition and probably shouldn't be running Windows at all.

Ask me about vendor Linux systems. I was hands on with a Fedora 10 system earlier this month.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
I was guilty of putting LTSB/LTSC on workstations when Win10 first came out. A lot of my unwillingness to use the normal builds was a misunderstanding of how the shorter-term-supported releases would be supported: I thought we'd be doing the equivalent of a "service pack" update to the OS twice a year. And given how temperamental some of the software we run is, it sounded like a recipe for bi-annual scheduled-unscheduled outages.

But yeah, that's not the support cycle on the releases. Once the department had time to dig into it we realized you can still stay on a short-term build for a good long time, and we got to switching. Fortunately you can do in-place upgrades of LTSC to standard editions without the need to re-install the OS. And the new builds have caused far fewer side-effects and software glitches than I expected.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is it possible to add a Microsoft 365 account to a local group via unattend file?

Edit: that probably could've been clearer. I mean an Azure AD user in an enterprise setting.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not 100% certain what you’re asking, but I think you at minimum need azuread p1 and to set up group write-back

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Sorry, I'm running on a couple hours of sleep. Basically, I'm trying to find a way to compensate for deficiencies in an MECM task sequence that I'm not in a position to change. By the end of the task sequence, the target computer has been reformatted and mostly configured, but it's not domain-joined, and the only available accounts are the built-in Administrator account and an unused local standard account. Since the "add a work or school user" option appears to be unavailable from these accounts, I'm supposed to manually run sysprep to trigger the OOBE. During the OOBE, I sign in with Azure AD credentials, from which I can add other users as needed.

I'm not interested in going through the OOBE manually every time, so I've made an unattend file. The only part of the OOBE that I haven't been able to automate away yet is that initial AzureAD sign-in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just to make sure I understand what you're asking, Azure AD Hybrid Join, or normal Azure AD Join? Azure AD user, or hybrid user that is also in AD?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Just to make sure I understand what you're asking, Azure AD Hybrid Join, or normal Azure AD Join? Azure AD user, or hybrid user that is also in AD?

Hybrid Identity* for users, non-hybrid Azure AD Join for the computers in question.

*In case that term is narrower than I realize, what I mean is that users are synced between on-prem AD and Azure AD via Azure AD Connect.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Hybrid Identity* for users, non-hybrid Azure AD Join for the computers in question.

*In case that term is narrower than I realize, what I mean is that users are synced between on-prem AD and Azure AD via Azure AD Connect.

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't remember the term for that. So I am pretty sure you can do what you're asking. I assume you don't need these laptops on the domain, so legacy AD just kind of exists for backend infrastructure and you're not using Kerberos auth for anything? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your use case, but yes, you should be able to do it. This article mentions Azure AD users specifically.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-localusersandgroups

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

all your users should be sync'd between your prem AD and Azure ad. You might be thinking about white-glove (now called pre-provisioning) autopilot.

Basically takes your unattend.xml and puts it the cloud. (That is, if you have a tpm 2.0 chip and your devices are enrolled into intune...which you should do for all your AzureAD devices) Full zero-touch provisioning and no need to login at OOBE.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't remember the term for that. So I am pretty sure you can do what you're asking. I assume you don't need these laptops on the domain, so legacy AD just kind of exists for backend infrastructure and you're not using Kerberos auth for anything? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your use case, but yes, you should be able to do it. This article mentions Azure AD users specifically.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-localusersandgroups

incoherent posted:

all your users should be sync'd between your prem AD and Azure ad. You might be thinking about white-glove (now called pre-provisioning) autopilot.

Basically takes your unattend.xml and puts it the cloud. (That is, if you have a tpm 2.0 chip and your devices are enrolled into intune...which you should do for all your AzureAD devices) Full zero-touch provisioning and no need to login at OOBE.

Yeah, the use-case seems weird because the situation is kinda dumb.

• The laptops in question are loaners. Sometimes they're reserved in advance, and sometimes they're handed over to users on demand during walk-up requests. When the laptops are returned, they're formatted and re-imaged on-prem via ConfigMgr.
  • The laptops aren't joined to the on-prem domain to simplify pandemic-related scenarios where the machine might be off-site for weeks or months. This way, users who don't otherwise need VPN don't have to worry about connecting occasionally just to let the computer phone home.
  • For in-person on-the-fly requests, having the user go through the OOBE slows things down, so it's useful to have laptops on hand that have already gone through that step and just need the walk-up user's AD/AzureAD account added as a local admin.
  • I'm not a domain admin. I've got local admin rights on most domain-joined computers, but my access to most of MECM, Group Policy, Intune, etc. is read-only.
  • The guys who do have the necessary access are unlikely to make any changes I suggest in a timely fashion, so instead of doing any of this the right way, I'm stuck trying to do the best I can with the access I've got—hence the unattend file.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone every gotten this weird error when importing an application into SCCM?

“Specify a valid UNC path and a compressed (.zip) file with read permission for importing.”

I already checked the permissions and if the file got mangled but it all looks good but it all seems good to go. Our whole team is stumped by this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seeing some extra information in the sign-in audit logs in Azure AD which is very nice to have now :3:

Not sure how long it's been like this for, but having the context is welcome.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Woof Blitzer posted:

Anyone every gotten this weird error when importing an application into SCCM?

“Specify a valid UNC path and a compressed (.zip) file with read permission for importing.”

I already checked the permissions and if the file got mangled but it all looks good but it all seems good to go. Our whole team is stumped by this.

Isn't that the normal prompt for importing an application?

I'm no expert, but that's the same thing I see. Compare to the create new application operation where you'd point to an msi file.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Seeing some extra information in the sign-in audit logs in Azure AD which is very nice to have now :3:

Not sure how long it's been like this for, but having the context is welcome.

I really, really miss having Azure AD for identity. Going from having it to not is like taking a step back to the stone age.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I briefly looked at Google Cloud Identity and :laffo:

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Is there a definitive need to use Microsoft's name servers with your Azure AD tenant configuration or is it more of a convenience feature for managing DNS within the Azure portal?

Currently, DNS is handled via Network Solutions, but I'm wondering if there's a need for their name servers to make AAD/Intune work better in some way.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not really unless there is a windows admin center plug-in for azure dns zones or something. Dns is dns.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No need to use them, but Azure DNS is cheap and more than likely better than whatever Network Solutions does.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

2008 \ R2 is getting an extra ESU year (if you're in azure, that is!). What a dangle of a fuckin carrot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the first things to check with DHCP leases not showing up in DNS? Same server, it's an AD setup.

We have Cisco WiFi AP's, they were in there but a bunch were missing. I removed the leases, A and PTR records and restarted them all, they all got new leases but no DNS records were created. I made sure all the obvious settings for the scopes to register dns were set, but no luck.

The other scopes with workstations and phones work just fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the Windows DHCP server still need to have a service account defined to do the DNS updates?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

What's the first things to check with DHCP leases not showing up in DNS? Same server, it's an AD setup.

We have Cisco WiFi AP's, they were in there but a bunch were missing. I removed the leases, A and PTR records and restarted them all, they all got new leases but no DNS records were created. I made sure all the obvious settings for the scopes to register dns were set, but no luck.

The other scopes with workstations and phones work just fine.

Is it just one device? Have you tried running "ipconfig /registerdns"? Have you tried restarting the DNS service (on the one server, not on the DNS server) or the server itself? Is there an existing, corrupt DNS entry for the device in the DNS server?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the Windows DHCP server still need to have a service account defined to do the DNS updates?

Yes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Is it just one device? Have you tried running "ipconfig /registerdns"? Have you tried restarting the DNS service (on the one server, not on the DNS server) or the server itself? Is there an existing, corrupt DNS entry for the device in the DNS server?

I removed all the entries that existed

It's a whole subnet of devices (it's own dhcp scope)

The other scopes work fine

Can't run ipconfig on an access point

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I checked a bunch of other non-domain devices, and then I created a dhcpupdate service account. this must have been it because now they are showing up.

I saw this yesterday, but figured it wasn't it because the devices were in DNS before I started messing with it. I wonder if they were static records? Why would the MSP create static records for devices that get DHCP addresses?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

I removed all the entries that existed

It's a whole subnet of devices (it's own dhcp scope)

The other scopes work fine

Can't run ipconfig on an access point

Does the switch the device is connected to have that VLAN configured? Is the port a trunk port or an access port configured with the wrong VLAN?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Does the switch the device is connected to have that VLAN configured? Is the port a trunk port or an access port configured with the wrong VLAN?

They were getting the right addresses in the right scope and on the right vlan, they just weren't registering in DNS. Working now, just bouncing all the AP's so my LibreNMS doesn't have any more red lights

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What is the point or the difference of the LDAP feature role in windows server vs AD Directory Services?

AD DS is built upon the LDAP protocol so regular LDAP binds work directly to AD.

I tried googling but didn't find much to really tell me the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Are you referring to Active Directory Lightweight services? That is a standalone LDAP role that is seperate from Active Directory. It allows you build a directory service independent of Active directory but use all the code that's active directory and LDAP friendly, say if you wanted a custom schema and attributes and didn't want to mess with Active directory. (spoiler: don't mess with active directory schema!)

Mostly used as an identity store to not keep usernames and passwords in your SQL database. Can be used as a identity source for AD FS. Also can sync data from Active Directory.