Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's not even a weird order. Jessica needs to calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It is absolutely weird for someone to ask for an extra creamy piña colada, there’s no cream in there in the first place.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I mean there's coconut cream. It seems reasonable to say one with more of that ingredient is extra creamy?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

prayer group posted:

It is absolutely weird for someone to ask for an extra creamy piña colada, there’s no cream in there in the first place.
They're asking for it to be creamy, not asking for cream. They want extra coconut cream, or at least that's what they're getting, and a little less ice. If the bar doesn't have coconut cream they're just getting an extra splash of mix and less ice. If that's not what they want they can use their words and explain what they want on the next one.

No this will not be a good drink but that's not what they asked for.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
cum

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

I see someone hasn’t had Malort!

Or Cynar

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cynar is delicious

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wearin' jorts and drinking Malort

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Drinkin' Cynar
With Damar

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Had a guy I used to work with ask me "How can you sleep at night after you just abandoned your restaurants to die? They're all closed now!" I sleep like a loving baby now Gary, thanks for asking. I'm only physically exhausted because I jogged too many miles not because I pulled two clopens in a row. Also because I rearranged my office for the fourth time because I got bored at my piss easy job again. IT'S GREAT AND I LOVE IT.

Trying to guilt the person who jumped out of a sinking ship first is so embarrassing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fizzymercury posted:

Had a guy I used to work with ask me "How can you sleep at night after you just abandoned your restaurants to die? They're all closed now!" I sleep like a loving baby now Gary, thanks for asking. I'm only physically exhausted because I jogged too many miles not because I pulled two clopens in a row. Also because I rearranged my office for the fourth time because I got bored at my piss easy job again. IT'S GREAT AND I LOVE IT.

Trying to guilt the person who jumped out of a sinking ship first is so embarrassing.

unless you own the place, it's not your restaurant lmao

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Poohs Packin posted:

Cynar is delicious

I love cynar. Recently I've been digging the Don Ciccio & Figli line for amaro.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
We switched to sysco because the local suppliers didn't have enough workers, and now even loving sysco can't find enough people to load the trucks.

Like we're going to the nearest restaurant depot every week and local grocery stores to get most of our poo poo right now.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

fizzymercury posted:

Also stab this guy in his loving eye socket

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Almost every restaurant I've left or been fired from is closed or failing, and every one deserves it

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

taking a quick posting break because uh....

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

starfoxgoodluck

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Lol my old boss keeps texting me trying to get me to come work with less than 24 hrs notice and man do I love saying no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just put in my "two weeks".

Feels loving good, man.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I moved to Australia a few years ago after getting married. 'Straya has really strict immigration and work laws. Even though I had applied for a permanent visa they wouldn't let me work for 3 months. However, as a chef, I was able to find work for cash relatively quickly.

I worked for a caterer. The job was good as far as hospo jobs go, probably about as good as it gets. I had autonomy, got to work in a different environment everyday (relatively small caterer, high end, superyachts), and generally enjoyed my crew. The location was nice and central and I could catch a train to and from work. There were other benefits as the company was based out of a theatre. I could sometimes catch live shows, and the bar and production staff were all super friendly. I made a lot of friends. I got signed on for what I thought was a pretty decent salary after I could stop working under the table and they took me on full time.

Of course Christmas was insane, catering around the holidays is an absolute slog, but I thought hey there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Turns out that light was me getting fired.

"Not enough work, economic downturn, etc".

The owner made a modest effort to find me hourly shifts around the city, but most of these were places that REALLY needed the help. I've never been one to play captain save a kitchen and most of these places wouldn't last 2 years the way they were going (owners partying behind the bar, chefs harassing waitstaff, no control of food cost). Eventually work picked back up with the caterer and they brought me on again. It wasn't enough money for the hours I was pulling, so I went and worked for another place as a salary guy (sous chef) for about 4 months. I gave it my all but it just wasn't a good fit. Eventually I came back to the caterer on the proviso I'd be paid for the hours I worked, no salary, just bring me in for the hours you need and I was going to try and study or do something else.

Welp, fast forward to October and I'm back on salary, back where I was a year before. The guy convinced me to go back on salary mere WEEKS before the silly season picked back up. I was driving out to the country, working weddings, driving back to the city and cooking brunches. Sometimes I had 4 hours between shifts and was working 16 hours some days. Oh well, I'm putting in hard yards here but there's no way he's gonna fire me AGAIN right?

Wrong! The guy brought me in to have a chat about January, told me there wasn't work etc.

I absolutely sprayed him. I laid out the timeline I had just experienced. from cash worker, to salaried employee, to fired, to hourly worker to salaried employee, to fired. He tried to handwave and say that its just the nature of the business, and that he's trying to scrape things together, pleading poor, etc. He was planning on spending a month in France, poor my rear end.

My very excellent wife sort of saw this all playing out and had been recording the hours I had worked. I handed him timesheets, I showed him the 70 hours weeks I had been pulling for the past 2.5 months. I showed him the ridiculous turnarounds I had to do. I called him out for getting me absolutely stranded at events in the middle of nowhere when I had to be back in the morning through sheer disorganization. I gave him a figure of something around $4500 in free labor he had gotten out of me. I laid it out simply:

"I would have never worked these hours, busted my rear end on these shifts, without the promise of guaranteed employment, that's the whole loving point of being on salary, its the consistency. Lets just say that we don't calculate all of this time as OT. Even at my hourly rate this comes out to around $3500. How are you going to make this right?".

The guy honestly started tearing up and getting all agitated like a toddler who won't eat its veggies. I held steady and just stared him down. I vaguely mentioned that I would be leaving the culinary industry entirely, and wasn't really worried about burning bridges or being a troublemaker. I told him I felt hard done by, and that I'd probably get in touch with Fair Work if he didn't pay me.

It worked. A month later the guy deposited $4500 in my bank account. I saw him a few months later and we hugged it out. No hard feelings, just business. Don't let people walk all over you in this business because even the best of them will.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Good post, glad you got what you were owed and got out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wait what? Is it April Fool's Day already, that's not how poo poo works!

In all seriousness, glad you were able to stand your ground and get what you were owed.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It tends to be how things work in Australia because more than a few big name head chefs have felt the bite of the fair work ombudsman over the last couple of years even before COVID hit. Turns out quite a few of the top chefs weren't paying correctly and its massively tarnished their reputation. I've been out for 8 years now but working in Sydney was definately worse than working in the mountains where I came from. In the city a trade certificate is key and theres plenty of dodgy training orgs that will sort you out with one so you can get permanent residency. In the mountains they'll pay you as a qualified chef even if you aren't which makes things much easier.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It tends to be how things work in Australia because more than a few big name head chefs have felt the bite of the fair work ombudsman over the last couple of years even before COVID hit. Turns out quite a few of the top chefs weren't paying correctly and its massively tarnished their reputation. I've been out for 8 years now but working in Sydney was definately worse than working in the mountains where I came from. In the city a trade certificate is key and theres plenty of dodgy training orgs that will sort you out with one so you can get permanent residency. In the mountains they'll pay you as a qualified chef even if you aren't which makes things much easier.

Yeah i know guys who hide behind the staging system to keep labor low. The place I was at for four months would constantly staple some kid to me who couldnt speak english or french. It was usually a huge surprise and there was no possible way to assess the persons skills. Just:

"Good morning heres a Nepalese kid put him to work, hes a stage"

It was just a day of free labor because nobody else really wants to peel onions or roll arranchini. If I was lucky I could get them to blanche fries. I would have loved to have given these kids more but it just wasn't possible given long prep lists and tight timeframes.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I ended up boned the other way where I'd run multiple kitchens in the mountains moved to sydney and becuase I didn't have my chef papers got boned wages wise. There was always some import who out ranked me and was in charge of the kitchen despite having less than half my experience and not really knowing how to run a kitchen properly. The other side of the coin was I couldn't compete with the speed that some of them would do poo poo in cause while I'd keep up I couldn't produce as much as them no matter how hard I tried.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I never had a "ticket" or whatever in AUS but had a good 12 years experience before I moved here and present very professionally so people were generally happy to bring me on as a Sous. The problem is that people's definition of Sous typically means "slurp up whatever poo poo sandwich we decide to hand you".

The place where it didn't quite work out mentioned above had 3 Sous(lol) at one point, with the owner being the head chef. He did very little active time in the kitchen and would show up 15 minutes before service and tell you to scrap the special you'd prepped because he wanted to do this other thing. He'd describe it and then say poo poo like, "so you'll have that ready before service?"

I look at my watch, "Service in 10, Chef".

"Alright good".

(To give credit where credit is due he was a very competent chef and cook, but just a bit "touched" and didn't understand the dynamics in his own kitchen).

gently caress though, some of those Nepalese kids could BANG out prep. I could deffo clean up and portion a fish faster than them but I'm dead meat when it comes to chopping onions or peeling taters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eight more shifts. Likely six more times I have to get up at 0430 of those eight (including today).

Then I'm loving FREE. No more loving getting up at 0430. No more having to listen to the CHUDs at a table rant about whatever they want.

It will be glorious.

(I would have bailed earlier but a coworker wanted to go on vacation, and I owe a comrade that much)

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

I never had a "ticket" or whatever in AUS but had a good 12 years experience before I moved here and present very professionally so people were generally happy to bring me on as a Sous. The problem is that people's definition of Sous typically means "slurp up whatever poo poo sandwich we decide to hand you".

The place where it didn't quite work out mentioned above had 3 Sous(lol) at one point, with the owner being the head chef. He did very little active time in the kitchen and would show up 15 minutes before service and tell you to scrap the special you'd prepped because he wanted to do this other thing. He'd describe it and then say poo poo like, "so you'll have that ready before service?"

I look at my watch, "Service in 10, Chef".

"Alright good".

(To give credit where credit is due he was a very competent chef and cook, but just a bit "touched" and didn't understand the dynamics in his own kitchen).

gently caress though, some of those Nepalese kids could BANG out prep. I could deffo clean up and portion a fish faster than them but I'm dead meat when it comes to chopping onions or peeling taters.

I think every Nepalese guy I worked with was top shelf. Smash out prep and then no matter how in the weeds things got they'd be calm as gently caress and just get poo poo done. They'd also pile into things at the end of service to make sure everyone got out at the same time.
I was kinda glad when I moved back to the mountains cause it went back to being the same that I'd known starting out and I landed in a good kitchen where I went back and helped them out even after I left the industry just cause they where good people to work for. They sold the business to some catering mob from Sydney who plan to turn the whole thing into a wedding reception place that massively extends the venue.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

whos that broooown posted:

We switched to sysco because the local suppliers didn't have enough workers, and now even loving sysco can't find enough people to load the trucks.

Like we're going to the nearest restaurant depot every week and local grocery stores to get most of our poo poo right now.

I'm imagining when I would get asked to run to the grocer one block away for [X] every now and then in the middle of a shift

but like it's a whole truck manifest, cubic yards of veg or meat

rolling 3 grocery carts down the road back to work

lmao

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm getting shorted on the dumbest poo poo from every purveyor. Spinach, pickle chips, basil, fuckin corn tortillas

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I ran into an old Sous today (now working at a different somewhat less lovely place). He asked if I wanted to come back to cooking. I asked if he wanted to pay me $23/hr minimum. I am still happily not a cook.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

pile of brown posted:

pickle chips

Our poor prep cook has to bread our fried pickle chips because nobody can stock the pre-made ones. Found a case at a local US Foods store a couple weeks ago and ordered more but oops never on the truck.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mithross posted:

I ran into an old Sous today (now working at a different somewhat less lovely place). He asked if I wanted to come back to cooking. I asked if he wanted to pay me $23/hr minimum. I am still happily not a cook.

On a scale of one to 'Gammon', how red in the face did they get when you asked that?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We got new knives last week, they are CutCo brand and cost $700. Everyone is terrified of them and we already had one person stick them back into their plastic sheathes wrong, causing the extremely sharp brand new knife to get stuck. We got it freed eventually and people went happily back to slicing cabbage on the meat slicer.

The slicer has not yet drawn blood, the knives (and associated vegetable peeler) have.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

No one pointed out the funniest part of this, the criminal background check required of people already employed at the place, required to do free work for them

lmbo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine 132 untrained civilians in a kitchen

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

evilpicard posted:

Anyone who would do this to the cooks deserves to have to work in it.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

evilpicard posted:

I would pay good money to watch footage of that poo poo show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

angerbeet posted:

We got new knives last week, they are CutCo brand and cost $700. Everyone is terrified of them and we already had one person stick them back into their plastic sheathes wrong, causing the extremely sharp brand new knife to get stuck. We got it freed eventually and people went happily back to slicing cabbage on the meat slicer.

The slicer has not yet drawn blood, the knives (and associated vegetable peeler) have.

Isn't CutCo a pyramid scheme? I had a friend in high school who briefly sold them and years later he revealed that it cost him (or more likely his parents) more money than he made selling them. My parents let him pitch them because he also mowed the lawn (this makes it sound like he was the gardener or something, no I refused to mow the lawn at a certain point because my parents bought a loving push mower and my friend had a gas powered self propelling one and a van he could transport it in, or rather his parents did, we were very much in the same socio-economic class, my parents just wouldn't buy proper tools for lawn maintenance.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Skwirl posted:

Isn't CutCo a pyramid scheme? I had a friend in high school who briefly sold them and years later he revealed that it cost him (or more likely his parents) more money than he made selling them. My parents let him pitch them because he also mowed the lawn (this makes it sound like he was the gardener or something, no I refused to mow the lawn at a certain point because my parents bought a loving push mower and my friend had a gas powered self propelling one and a van he could transport it in, or rather his parents did, we were very much in the same socio-economic class, my parents just wouldn't buy proper tools for lawn maintenance.).

CutCo isn't a pyramid scheme, just look at their own blurb

quote:

Vector Marketing is a multi-level marketing subsidiary company and the domestic sales arm of Cutco Corporation, an Olean, New York-based cutlery manufacturer.

See, not a pyramid, just a multi-level marketing plan. Like a triangle!