Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

My plan is to gather the East London goon massive in my palatial house and form a heavily armed commune. I probably have the skills and enough servos to make some robotic death turret guns too.

The ultimate GoonMeet.

:gooncamp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is the gist of Plan B? Do you know?

Mandatory masks in public and working from home. So basically enough to slow things down until just before Christmas when they'll have to do a full lockdown again.

Too little too late as ever.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So some Newcastle fans are being investigated by the police for unfurling an anti-Saudi banner because it features a man in 'Arabic clothing' but the fans dancing in the street celebrating the takeover with tea towels on their heads were fine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

JoylessJester posted:

So some Newcastle fans are being investigated by the police for unfurling an anti-Saudi banner because it features a man in 'Arabic clothing' but the fans dancing in the street celebrating the takeover with tea towels on their heads were fine.

The offending banner:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
selective outrage, colour me shocked

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Mandatory masks in public and working from home. So basically enough to slow things down until just before Christmas when they'll have to do a full lockdown again.

Too little too late as ever.

I wonder what compliance will be like now that people have been able to live and act "normally" for months.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The mirror article doesn't say anything about next week. It features the word immediate and talks of canvassing opinion for such a timescale. It also refes to plan B as the 'winter plan', which suggests its coming at some point regardless.

They should absolutely do it though. What sensible person gives a flying gently caress about wearing a mask and the infrastructure for working from home is surely in place now for every viable role.

Sorry youngsters but I can't even be bothered to mention nightclubs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Has anyone got some proper info on this spiking stuff going on? The news today has exeter police saying 3 people who reported being injected and put in hospital had no drugs in their system at all when tested.

But then Nottingham police have arrested 2 people who did like they had ghb falling out their pockets.

It's all a bit bizarre.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't the obvious solution here just to show up early to the roaming cannibal recruitment drives?

Increasingly relevant by the day

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

RockyB posted:

This is the crux of it honestly. I've always approached life in a slightly pessimistic way because, as they say, a pessimist is rarely disappointed and often pleasantly surprised. As such I've run into no end of people of the 'cheer up it may never happen' bent that would rather blithely ignore a potential problem than do a modicum of planning for it. People like radmonger who can look at the Finland report and come to the conclusion that it's optimistic, when the understated sarcastic bottom line is actually:

We just need a magical new battery tech that's just around the corner and it'll all be fine!

I don’t see what is so particularly unrealistic about that prospect that it needs to be ruled out with sarcasm

The report is talking on a timescale of 50 years or so, assuming every country in the world in the world being as rich as Finland, with everyone who wants a car owning one, stuff delivered by trucks and container ships, and so on.

In that circumstance , it turns out you would need to either find new deposits, recycle lithium, or improve current battery designs. If you think all of these are objectively impossible, then maybe you are a world expert in three separate areas and hold that as a justified belief. Or maybe the part of your brain that does that thinking is broken and tells you ‘this is never going to happen’ even when the question is ‘should I go down the shops and get some food’?

If that best case doesn’t happen, some countries remain (or become) poor enough so the average person doesn’t own a car, the way the whole world was before 50s America, and half or more is today. So maybe they have an electric scooter, and travel longer distances by train. Maybe they still live and die the way they do now. In the true worst case, they become even poorer, wars are fought over bottle neck resources, and all those other 20C evils remain or return.

The point is, the range of known possible outcomes is wide, and largely dependant on what is in effect luck. What technologies work out and which don’t, what wars start and what don’t, the timing, location and severity of environmental catastrophes, and what political movements succeed and what ones fail.

Anyone claiming to be sure of the answers to all those questions is unlikely to have sound justification for their belief. So everyone is free to be optimistic, pessimistic or uncertain as best works for them psychologically. It’s just that there is no requirement, or excuse, for trying to impose those coping strategies on other people as if they were objective fact.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Has anyone got some proper info on this spiking stuff going on? The news today has exeter police saying 3 people who reported being injected and put in hospital had no drugs in their system at all when tested.

But then Nottingham police have arrested 2 people who did like they had ghb falling out their pockets.

It's all a bit bizarre.

They probably got spiked in a more "normal" fashion (through drinks) and did the conspiracy association thing with an insect bite or other wound.

You can't inject someone without it being really, really obvious since it's very painful and it's not like the drug is going to work like in the movies where you drop down 2 seconds after being hit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I put together a graph based on data my employer have been putting out about number of 'very ill'* people with covid in hospital.
It's Sunday, and I'm slightly hungover, so :effort:

* - not the phrase they use, but my interpretation of it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

It's all a bit bizarre.

ghb is a club drug so there could be some confusion there, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the whole media hysteria has got a few copycat needle psychos actually going out to do it even if it wasn’t real in the first place

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

ghb is a club drug so there could be some confusion there, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the whole media hysteria has got a few copycat needle psychos actually going out to do it even if it wasn’t real in the first place

I really don't think there is a surreptitious way to inject someone with enough drugs to achieve the required effect. But yeah now that the concept is in the public consciousness I guess some idiots might be getting ideas

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kingturnip posted:

I put together a graph based on data my employer have been putting out about number of 'very ill'* people with covid in hospital.
It's Sunday, and I'm slightly hungover, so :effort:

* - not the phrase they use, but my interpretation of it.

yeah most hospitals have a few in ICU and several dozens hospitalised, and the sick ones are very much middle aged

most other countries would be reporting this as a total disaster but our media just shrugs

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

I really don't think there is a surreptitious way to inject someone with enough drugs to achieve the required effect. But yeah now that the concept is in the public consciousness I guess some idiots might be getting ideas

oh i mean that people take it “legitimately “ as a club drug themselves, and these guys could be dealers caught up in the whole thing

or just actual rapists

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's not a common way of using it, but some people do inject GHB recreationally, so there's probably been a crossed wire somewhere along the line.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuctifino posted:

It's not a common way of using it, but some people do inject GHB recreationally, so there's probably been a crossed wire somewhere along the line.

oh i didn’t know that, that sounds nuts when you can just add a drop to your own drink, especially that it’s a cheap drug you can buy by the litre

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

oh i didn’t know that, that sounds nuts when you can just add a drop to your own drink, especially that it’s a cheap drug you can buy by the litre

Yeah, never underestimate what people are willing to inject into their bodies. I tried to find an article that I came across a while back about it, but instead came across a study where scientists gave 10 baboons the tools to intravenously self administer GHB laced with cocaine.

Conclusion: Primates get the best drugs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I had my third primary Pfizer on Friday afternoon and it sucked a lot more than the other two, but thankfully only a day of complete fatigue and cramps. Just warm now.

Failed Imagineer posted:

There was also a variant that one of them had their sleeve soaked in chloroform which sounds like an updated version of the ether filled perfume samples hoax which itself became the chloroform soaked masks hoax and the whole thing seems like people not knowing how anesthetics work and somehow nobody else noticing the guy sat at the bar stinking like a 60s rubber factory and getting more lightheaded himself than anyone else.

The needle bit has possibly become like the 'phantom slasher' hoax in East Asia, where there was a huge moral panic about lurking slashers with razor blades that led to both 1) people reporting minor scratch injuries as attacks and 2) some idiots doing copycat attacks with razors.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah most hospitals have a few in ICU and several dozens hospitalised, and the sick ones are very much middle aged

most other countries would be reporting this as a total disaster but our media just shrugs

Because we've had actual disaster peaks before, and in comparison this isn't that huge.

47,000 people died in the UK in September, about 4000 of those of covid, and the majority of those 4000 are unvaccinated by choice. If you've kept covid under control those are scary numbers, but when you've already had mismanagement lead to the majority of deaths some months being covid, it's just not a big deal.

If the NHS wasn't so underfunded, run down, and ran by a government who was actively hostile to the idea of paying medical staff, it wouldn't be a issue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Any amount of IV anaesthetic that'd subdue someone through a needle stick quick enough that they didn't notice would also likely just outright kill them. Given how many of us have received injections recently, we're all aware that even a small shot takes a good 10-20 seconds of sitting pretty still to administer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also literally a repeat of this, even if it isn't.

My "not the needle stabber" pin badge has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my badge.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

people not knowing how anesthetics work

tbf even anaesthesiologists don't really know how most anaesthesia works

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if this is all just propaganda from Patel's office, just so that she can have an easier ride implementing new laws to counter this new 'threat'....

e: vvv Ah, another Pointless Letters fan? I was just about to post the same :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 24, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

There were 4 reported injection spikings at one club here last week at a student night. Two of the students spoke to me about it. Apparently they attended hospital and were told that it was consistent with ketamine injection.

I don't know if there were any crossed wires with what they were told, and I know that it sounds totally implausible, but nonetheless, please believe women.

Theres also been a huge increase in conventional spikings lately so it could be that some weirdos are spiking drinks & then stabbing them with a needle, or some people are getting spiked & then noticing an unrelated blemish, but it could also be that the skepticism is just wrong, who knows what's going on. The important thing for now is that women feel able to come forward and are taken seriously.

The good news is that the increase in spikings doesn't seem to be connected to sexual assaults, it looks like it's just a bunch of power tripping weirdos finding exciting new ways to violate women's bodily autonomy, so that's, uh, something

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Borrovan posted:

There were 4 reported injection spikings at one club here last week at a student night. Two of the students spoke to me about it. Apparently they attended hospital and were told that it was consistent with ketamine injection.

loving hell... :/ That's horrendous.

quote:

I don't know if there were any crossed wires with what they were told, and I know that it sounds totally implausible, but nonetheless, please believe women.

Up until your post, the only sources I heard mentioning any of this was the Home Office and the police. Now you've confirmed it's an actual thing and there are actual victims... I'm kind of shocked and speechless.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Movies have a lot to answer for re unconsciousness. Specifically that there are numerous ways to reliably render anyone* unconscious in seconds, including needles, chloroform, and whacking them on the head, without doing any harm, and they just wake up a bit hung over, going "where am I". Possibly with birds flying around the bump on their head.

* except the comically big guy, who it just makes angrier

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Theres also been a huge increase in conventional spikings lately so it could be that some weirdos are spiking drinks & then stabbing them with a needle, or some people are getting spiked & then noticing an unrelated blemish, but it could also be that the skepticism is just wrong, who knows what's going on. The important thing for now is that women feel able to come forward and are taken seriously.

The good news is that the increase in spikings doesn't seem to be connected to sexual assaults, it looks like it's just a bunch of power tripping weirdos finding exciting new ways to violate women's bodily autonomy, so that's, uh, something

I dunno about the actual injections, but general spikings are just awareness and too much alcohol I'd think.

It's most likely people just drinking too much, especially after not drinking for a long time. There have been a few studies showing that roughly 90% of self reported spiked drinks are just excess alcohol consumption. It does happen rarely, but I would put down a recent spike among students without a spike in sexual assaults to be people drinking too much and blaming spiking due to media hysteria rather than an actual attack.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

loving hell... :/ That's horrendous.

Up until your post, the only sources I heard mentioning any of this was the Home Office and the police. Now you've confirmed it's an actual thing and there are actual victims... I'm kind of shocked and speechless.

It can be both an actual thing and a thing being hyped by the powers that be. I'm certain there's a lot of people looking for ways to rehabilitate the image of the police (big crackdown on spiking! See, we *can* protect women!) while simultaneously chucking in a load of extra dodgy laws and powers - I guarantee that they'll sneak a total ban on sale of food-grade nitrous oxide into whatever law they end up making GBS threads out in response to this and the Wayne Couzens case, which will of course kill more people in a week than have died from nos in the entire history of it's recreational use.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Good point

I best stock up on nitrous

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It can be both an actual thing and a thing being hyped by the powers that be. I'm certain there's a lot of people looking for ways to rehabilitate the image of the police (big crackdown on spiking! See, we *can* protect women!) while simultaneously chucking in a load of extra dodgy laws and powers - I guarantee that they'll sneak a total ban on sale of food-grade nitrous oxide into whatever law they end up making GBS threads out in response to this and the Wayne Couzens case, which will of course kill more people in a week than have died from nos in the entire history of it's recreational use.

I was thinking it's probably the cops that are doing this, raiding the evidence lockers.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

The injection thing is one of those urban myths that enough professionals believe that it just gets taken as real.
There’s a fair few articles about how we go through this myth every few years. Used to be AIDS being spread and injected 20 years back, now it’s just evolved again.

A good example is the “blue whale” murder game that was the rage happening amongst kids 6 years ago. We had tonnes of CAMHS emails alerting us about this epidemic and every professional discussed it as real, when again it was just a modern urban myth.

From working as a liaison in A&E I find a lot of the spikings are 18-19 year olds who have been started on Antidepressants not being informed of what happens when you mix a lot of them with alcohol. I’m certain some are real, but the toxicology report is normally clear for the vast vast majority who I assessed who had been spiked.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

In lighter news, do any South-East goons want cats?

The neighbour of a friend of mine is trying to re-home three cats - an adult male and two kittens. Adult can go alone, kittens should probably go together. Unknown if they're spayed/neutered. (They're a bit neglected :( )

I can transport them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I dunno about the actual injections, but general spikings are just awareness and too much alcohol I'd think.

It's most likely people just drinking too much, especially after not drinking for a long time. There have been a few studies showing that roughly 90% of self reported spiked drinks are just excess alcohol consumption. It does happen rarely, but I would put down a recent spike among students without a spike in sexual assaults to be people drinking too much and blaming spiking due to media hysteria rather than an actual attack.
Nonetheless, please believe women. The important thing is that the other 10% feel able to come forward, which they're less likely to do if the prevailing attitude is ":actually:you were probably just drunk."

Also the recent spike is according to women's charities, who I assume are fully aware of the realities of the situation.

(username/post btw)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JoylessJester posted:

it was Crystal Palace not Newcastle fans

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Nonetheless, please believe women. The important thing is that the other 10% feel able to come forward, which they're less likely to do if the prevailing attitude is ":actually:you were probably just drunk."

Also the recent spike is according to women's charities, who I assume are fully aware of the realities of the situation.

(username/post btw)

Yea it's a hard problem - because the evidence is both A. Lots of women coming forward have misdiagnosed the issue. B. The issue does actually happen - being aware of (and coming forward with) drinks spiking is important. You have to strike a balance between respecting womens lived experiences, and informing them of things like antidepressant interactions which can lead to them mistakenly think they've been spiked (which itself is a bad thing! No one wants to believe they've been attacked).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Believe women means making sure they have resources available that will listen and pay attention to their health and experiences, it also means acknowledging that social panics, even things like the London Monster and Taipei Slasher, often have a grain of truth within them, it wasn't just a bunch of women getting hysterical because of their wandering wombs.

It doesn't mean playing into the very worst of moral panic mentality though, because that just gets you lynch mobs (usually by men, and often protecting some culturally imagined virtue). The 'ether perfume' hoax got perfume sellers attacked, and this needle panic one is looking about a week away from a diabetic getting beaten. It also often inspires copycat attacks even if the original attacks weren't a thing, and that's no good either.

Ludo Friend posted:

Used to be AIDS being spread and injected 20 years back, now it’s just evolved again.
I've seen this round come up as "and then they all got HIV" too, it's like a metapanic of epidemic related fears has come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea it's a hard problem - because the evidence is both A. Lots of women coming forward have misdiagnosed the issue. B. The issue does actually happen - being aware of (and coming forward with) drinks spiking is important. You have to strike a balance between respecting womens lived experiences, and informing them of things like antidepressant interactions which can lead to them mistakenly think they've been spiked (which itself is a bad thing! No one wants to believe they've been attacked).

Exactly this is where being empathetic and having unconditional positive esteem for the victim helps. Listen to them, support them, but also support them in knowing what the evidence supports. I’d prefer to listen to their stories and give the support they do need rather than take a statement at face value and give someone the wrong outcome.

Edit- Listening is the most important part of my job, I get a ridiculous amount of people being sent to me for bipolar, depression or anxiety who in fact have personality disorders. It’s only by listening to them and their experiences that we can actually go down the right track rather than continuing with the incorrect diagnosis. The wrong diagnosis or support can be counterproductive.

Ludo Friend fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 24, 2021