Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Roonerspism posted:

I just played through the prototype. I play a lot of tactical RPGs and consider myself very good at them. Familiar with MMO raids but never played them myself.
I beat Stages 0 and 1 in one attempt (barely snuck under what seems like a hard enrage in stage 1), then beat Stage 2 in two attempts (needed a practice run to fully understand the counterplay to Blaze of Glory)
I enjoyed it overall, I don't really have any complaints about the game mechanics. Here's some loose thoughts on things that were unclear:

I can't seem to find a way to figure out the current/max HP of summons, like Sumireko's barricades and the volcanic fairies.

The difference between the different kinds of boss actions (the lightning bolt, caution sign and retry arrow) in the turn order didn't really stick with me until halfway through Stage 1. The warnings that appear on the actual map and the way bosses always stick to one-second intervals were fairly intuitive, so I eventually figured it out.
--Maybe "Begins casting" actions should have duller italicized text or something
----edit: actually, the reason that this is important in the turn order is because it's when they lock in their aim. But a retry arrow looks more like "they're reloading this abillity" or something? hmm... not sure what I'd change it to
--The "Immediate" and "Finishes casting" icons look very different in the UI even though they basically mean the same thing when they happen

Because the boss HP bar is right there under the boss, I didn't really bother paying attention to the bottom-right. Only realized that there was important information there (e.g. the enrage timers) when I was almost done with the entire game.

Generally, the visuals are very clear (e.g. the boss WILL move to this spot, this attack WILL reduce this HP bar, etc.) but the text is sometimes ambiguous. A small but clear example: Youmu claims to be able to parry "attacks" (rather than "enemy attacks"), but Marisa's laser will still deal HP damage to her. You can see this in the damage preview.

Awesome, thanks. For the fairies, their HP is listed in the tooltip for their unit frame on the bottom right. For the debris, yeah, there's not really a good way to find that out. It's possible, but only by holding left Shift and using the secret undocumented tooltips-within-tooltips feature.

At any rate, I'll definitely put tooltips on all the battlefield UI. That should help with a lot of this. The only reason I haven't done it already is that it comes with a slightly annoying technical hurdle, and it's clear I should make it a priority.

Now, you're right that the thing with Youmu's parry is an oversight, but it's not the one it looks like! At one point I experimented with having it only work on attacks that were thematically physical or projectile-based. I decided I didn't like it, and I thought I took it out, but apparently not. So that's easily fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh yeah, I suppose I didn't mention this because it was just a prototype, but the long-term goal is to replace the character's positions on the map with art, correct? Like, you won't be using the first characters of their names forever? I thought it was especially weird with Joon because you're just fighting "girl".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There might come a point where it makes sense for me to try to find an artist to work with, but I'm so far from getting there that I haven't even begun to consider it. And if that turns out not to be practical for whatever reason, I will keep using this style.

I had that same thought about Joon, though, believe me. She's the most recent fight I added, and there was absolutely a moment when I realised, "gently caress, her icon is just going to be 「女」." I'm not happy with it at all. Though it wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't also the first thing you see, I don't think.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Touhou 17.5 is getting released tomorrow

https://twitter.com/tasofro/status/1451845045984776193?s=21

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah ok, but is Yamame playable?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah ok, but is Yamame playable?

I'm sorry, but Flandre is playable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alas that does little to soften the blow.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Omg a giant spork

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rough translation of her profile:

Yuuma Toutetsu Species: Toutetsu Power: To absorb anything

A divine beast in the form of a lamb. Through greed and gluttony, she can swallow anything whole, physical or spiritual, organic or inorganic. Furthermore, by swallowing something she gains an understanding of it, and gains its power. Her personality also seems to be influenced by what she eats.

She's the leader of the Animal Realm gang Gouyoku Alliance. The Gouyoku Alliance is an organization that stays out of the spotlight, keeps an eye on the bigger picture, and enjoys scheming to swoop in and take everything when the time is right. Their motto is "Fisherman's Advantage" (an idiom about taking something while other people are fighting over it).

She loves underhanded and cowardly methods, so the other organizations are sick of her, but she's admired by her underlings as a reliable boss with a practically unbeatable power. That said, she has no attachment to having underlings, and prefers to act on her own. Perhaps because of her influence, many others in the Alliance also just do whatever they want.

Despite her appearance, she is clever and cool-headed, and prefers to avoid pointless fighting. If she determines that an enemy can't be threatened, she'll try to get them to join her. If she determines that won't work, she'll try to establish a superficially cooperative relationship. If she determines that would be too difficult, she'll choose to immediately flee.

To the Gouyoku Alliance, total war is truly a last resort.

Using the opening provided by the fuss with the animal spirits, she set her eye on the former Lake of Blood Hell, where she schemed to get her hands on not only the Animal Realm, but all the desires of the surface too. However, her plans were revealed to the humans by a secret god on the surface, and she was destroyed by an anti-Toutetsu assassination scheme.

After regenerating, she gave up on monopolizing the oil and decided to cooperate with the secret god.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 24, 2021

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Changed my mind game looks cool now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Loving everything I'm seeing here

touhou: it's good folks

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
it's important people realize that's not a giant spoon

it's a spork :allears:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaziken386 posted:

it's important people realize that's not a giant spoon

it's a spork :allears:

:monocle:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Is Jo'on an Arabian oil baron now?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Clarste posted:

Yuuma Toutetsu Species: Toutetsu Power: To absorb anything

A divine beast in the form of a lamb. Through greed and gluttony, she can swallow anything whole, physical or spiritual, organic or inorganic. Furthermore, by swallowing something she gains an understanding of it, and gains its power. Her personality also seems to be influenced by what she eats.

hosed up that kirby is now a touhou

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy loving poo poo Flandre Scarlet returns at last

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Now up on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440500/_/

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Murasa's really fun to play but the final boss is extremely not designed for her.

Still, did complete every story in about 5 hours. I ended up really liking it, though it plays weird!

When I'm not swamped with work (i.e. thursday) I'll finally update the OP with the new games.

I'm glad I still don't have to change "It's about how capitalism blows". For either 18 or 17.5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Controversial opinion, but I think the game should have a jump button so you can jump over things. Maybe also jump up to hit things? I don't know, just spitballing here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Controversial opinion, but I think the game should have a jump button so you can jump over things. Maybe also jump up to hit things? I don't know, just spitballing here.

The world just isn't ready for such an avant-garde game mechanic.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I agree that it really should've used like, two more buttons. Using only 3 is a weird decision.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I cleared mystic square on lunatic without using bombs!

I’m the best. I’ll post a video at some point; I turned music off so I’ll have to edit it back in. afaik I am one of the first people to do this with Yuuka, but I’m still far behind the really strong players like Moose or Zil.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I gave up on editing music back in, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6nZmKp5i3I

I don’t recommend watching it unless you really love Touhou 5, but I wanted to at least subject this thread to my terrible thumbnail.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Always rember: blue bullets on blue background is an excellent design choice, almost as god as red bullets on a foggy red background.

Someone went and translated what little text Mystical Chain some 12 years after the fact and made an English patch.
Also from what I hear 17.5 's translation is progressing smoothly and should be done soon, if nothing goes horrible wrong.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2WJD2-tG4

World record!

I'm the best!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
17.5's patch is near done and they rolled out some betas, they just need to iron out some bugs (some of which seem to be caused by Steam).

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pitosh2137/status/1465197738635796480?s=21

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

The Fantasy maiden wars NG+ patch is confirmed to be released before christmas! No exact date was given.

Can't wait to take some of those super lategame units out on a rampage from the very start...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Meeko posted:

The Fantasy maiden wars NG+ patch is confirmed to be released before christmas! No exact date was given.

Can't wait to take some of those super lategame units out on a rampage from the very start...

This is the patch that also adds boss dialog for every character right?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

rannum posted:

This is the patch that also adds boss dialog for every character right?

Correct, as a part of NG+ letting you bring back any six units of your choosing.

Datamining plus their tweets suggests there's gonna be a lot of new dialogue, so warmly looking forward to it (well, when I can read it anyway! reliant on translators there.)

Meeko fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 7, 2021

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Does anyone have or know where to find the PCB Christmas mod from ages ago?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Tortokhod/status/1471174478025666560

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Oh I see there’s gonna be a new small ZUN cd. That explains the merry renko memes I’ve been seeing.

https://touhou-project.news/news/6165/

Including a song a ZUN made for a towns tourism center! Neato

https://youtu.be/4G78gVVd4qY

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What's the performance like on the Switch version of Luna Nights compared to the PC version? It's on sale for the same price on Steam and the Switch store so if it runs as smoothly on the Switch the portability would be nice over the holidays.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You gotta be kidding me. I held out for luna nights on switch ever since it was announced. I remenber relenting and getting it for PC and it was good, but it feels like something made for handhelds.

If you get it, let us know how the performance is. Maybe I'll get it twice or gift it to someone.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Coxswain Balls posted:

What's the performance like on the Switch version of Luna Nights compared to the PC version? It's on sale for the same price on Steam and the Switch store so if it runs as smoothly on the Switch the portability would be nice over the holidays.

IIRC correctly I had no issues playing it. Might boot it up again to check, it's been a long time.

Edit: yeah, just smashed my face against engame enemies with lots of effects and it had 0 issues.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 30, 2021

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Year of Shou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fo' Shou