Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

redeyes posted:

Looks like no Google Play services means bad bad things. I was looking forward to the Google apps at the very least.. Gmail, etc. Not happening. On the other hand maybe I can use Poweramp on Windows now. That could be fun.

curious if sideloading Account Manager -> Services Framework -> Play Services -> Play Store will get you the Google stuff as it would on a Fire tablet. if not, I'm sure the XDA nerds will have a field day trying to figure out a way to successfully flash gapps to the WSA VM

then obviously next step is to unlock the bootloader and then install cyanogenmod or whatever they're calling it these days. Lineage? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is it related to the videos you're playing?

I have Animaniacs up on MPC-BE right now and it's loud af. Generally when I have a video that's just quiet I fiddle around in Options -> Audio -> Sound Processing and then check Boost Audio or something around there.

No audio issues for me on 22000.258

It was happening to me with multiple file types and shows, always would open quiet and be harder to hear even at 100% volume. After toggling subtitles it would be at least 50% louder like normal. Close the video and reopen and it's quiet again.

Strangely enough, turning on an option to mix channels to stereo in the Sound Processing section completely fixed it just now. Everything is at the right volume straight away, so glad that's somehow solved now.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just upgraded from win10 and found out that the taskbar can't be moved to the sides of the screen. What kind of bullshit is this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Laucha posted:

Just upgraded from win10 and found out that the taskbar can't be moved to the sides of the screen. What kind of bullshit is this.

It's an "upgrade."

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's an "upgrade."

You also cannot toggle it to your preferences, either, like you have been able to since 1998 (not sure of exact version if I’m wrong, but it’s been a long, long time). I cannot believe that they’ve doubled down on actually having a Linux kernel as a system and yet you can’t place your taskbar on the top border like many Linux distros have by default. They already have your newest OS, are you just trolling the WSL2 computer people?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
After a couple of decades of humouring people* in their perversions, they've finally struck a blow for righteousness and decency by enforcing correct taskbar placement.

*I don't actually know who these people are, in all my life I've never actually encountered a real person in the flesh who puts the taskbar anywhere other than the bottom.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

After a couple of decades of humouring people* in their perversions, they've finally struck a blow for righteousness and decency by enforcing correct taskbar placement.

*I don't actually know who these people are, in all my life I've never actually encountered a real person in the flesh who puts the taskbar anywhere other than the bottom.

I don’t have a lot of expertise in Linux and its different distros (getting more comfortable with WSL2 and virtual machines), but anecdotally I always see that Linux GUIs default to the top. I just figured it was a setting to differ itself from Windows. But while I know others who put the TB on the side, I’ve never seen a Windows user lock it to the top, either.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DerekSmartymans posted:

I don’t have a lot of expertise in Linux and its different distros (getting more comfortable with WSL2 and virtual machines), but anecdotally I always see that Linux GUIs default to the top. I just figured it was a setting to differ itself from Windows. But while I know others who put the TB on the side, I’ve never seen a Windows user lock it to the top, either.

yeah a number of linux distros do top, and Mac of course has the menu bar at the top and the dock at the bottom. But I notice Linuxmint which has become the new major 'easy' distro for home users is very windows like in its UI - taskbar at the bottom.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The Lord Bude posted:

you are wrong and bad at using a widescreen monitor

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

yeah a number of linux distros do top, and Mac of course has the menu bar at the top and the dock at the bottom. But I notice Linuxmint which has become the new major 'easy' distro for home users is very windows like in its UI - taskbar at the bottom.

I’ve seen the videos on “Linux that looks exactly like Windows/MacOS” and wondered what the point was. I admit to having a checklist (around here somewhere-it’s actually on paper) to run through configurations for “new” Win10 installs in Extended God Mode. But it’s just default Win10 to customized Win10. Why anyone would voluntarily attempt to make any Linux look like MacOS besides a hobby is beyond me.

After things get fixed due to demand or something I’ll probably get with the program and put Win11 on my main desktop, I just don’t want to have to depend on third party scripts or regedit to “fix something” that wasn’t broken. Especially something as a couple of constantly used tools like my Taskbar and Start Menu.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

After things get fixed due to demand or something I’ll probably get with the program and put Win11 on my main desktop, I just don’t want to have to depend on third party scripts or regedit to “fix something” that wasn’t broken. Especially something as a couple of constantly used tools like my Taskbar and Start Menu.

Agreed. I feel no need to annoy myself with a bastardized Windows 10x until they fix the UI regressions. Show me significant framerate gains in games or something and I'll consider it, but right now I see no point.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’ve seen the videos on “Linux that looks exactly like Windows/MacOS” and wondered what the point was. I admit to having a checklist (around here somewhere-it’s actually on paper) to run through configurations for “new” Win10 installs in Extended God Mode. But it’s just default Win10 to customized Win10. Why anyone would voluntarily attempt to make any Linux look like MacOS besides a hobby is beyond me.

A lot of it is, that's what people are comfortable with. And if you don't have a complaint with the look and feel of Windows/MacOS, why switch? But they're switching to Linux because it's better for them for one reason or another that doesn't have to do with the look and feel. That was half the reason FVWM95 and all that existed back in the day, so a Windows user can sit down at a Linux machine and not be lost.

But also yeah because it's fun. I have one Debian machine running on some old hardware that I keep looking as close to the Watercolor/Professional theme for some of the earlier Whistler betas because I think, to this day, that was the single most perfect Windows design and because, why not? It's not like it really even matters that much on Linux, I just have a terminal window up all the time on it anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like KDE because in many ways it does a better job of being Windows than Windows itself does. I don't do a lot of customizations, but there is a bare minimum I consider necessary and KDE lets me easily do them. Windows 10 lets me do most of them, but so far Windows 11 doesn't look like it clears that bar.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like KDE because in many ways it does a better job of being Windows than Windows itself does. I don't do a lot of customizations, but there is a bare minimum I consider necessary and KDE lets me easily do them. Windows 10 lets me do most of them, but so far Windows 11 doesn't look like it clears that bar.

How is KDE dealing with Hi DPI these days? Afaik you have to rely on Wayland, and not all apps are configured to work with Wayland? or something

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BrainDance posted:

A lot of it is, that's what people are comfortable with. And if you don't have a complaint with the look and feel of Windows/MacOS, why switch? But they're switching to Linux because it's better for them for one reason or another that doesn't have to do with the look and feel. That was half the reason FVWM95 and all that existed back in the day, so a Windows user can sit down at a Linux machine and not be lost.

But also yeah because it's fun. I have one Debian machine running on some old hardware that I keep looking as close to the Watercolor/Professional theme for some of the earlier Whistler betas because I think, to this day, that was the single most perfect Windows design and because, why not? It's not like it really even matters that much on Linux, I just have a terminal window up all the time on it anyway.

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t trying to be a dick about it or come off like that. I have an online friend (is there a term for a person you’ve known for twenty years and count as a friend but never have met or even seen?) that loves RGB and overclocking his system to instability at the edge. He just likes the tweaking and tuning. His computer(s) and even his office look like a fairy threw up some neon, but there is enough RGB ambiance light to read a book!

People like what they like. Ben Franklin would have been a phone phreaker or hacker if he wasn’t born in an 18th century British colony. Win11 will be fine even if it isn’t the WinXP/7/10 of my dreams, but it took a couple of years of updates and software to make it that way. I just hope that in 2025 at the latest I can right-click one time on the taskbar to get to a program by then, and if it’s not part of a later patch then I guess I’ll use 3rd party.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t trying to be a dick about it or come off like that. I have an online friend (is there a term for a person you’ve known for twenty years and count as a friend but never have met or even seen?) that loves RGB and overclocking his system to instability at the edge. He just likes the tweaking and tuning. His computer(s) and even his office look like a fairy threw up some neon, but there is enough RGB ambiance light to read a book!

People like what they like. Ben Franklin would have been a phone phreaker or hacker if he wasn’t born in an 18th century British colony. Win11 will be fine even if it isn’t the WinXP/7/10 of my dreams, but it took a couple of years of updates and software to make it that way. I just hope that in 2025 at the latest I can right-click one time on the taskbar to get to a program by then, and if it’s not part of a later patch then I guess I’ll use 3rd party.

Have you tried StarAllBack? Not sure if it does what you're looking for but it's excellent for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone wants to try out Android, this guide worked like an absolute charm, and after downloading the files took about ten minutes:

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

The only bit that tripped me up was inputting the IP address - the article tells you to use the one listed under Developer Mode, but I changed it to the one below it in IP Address, and I was then able to log into the Google Play Store and download apps, which then appear as native apps in your start menu.

Not all apps work yet (the Sonic remasters all display a black screen at gameplay), but I tried a couple of non-gaming apps and they worked beautifully. Obviously there's not a lot of point to any of this on desktop, games aside, but if they get the kinks worked out and it works well on lower powered devices like the Surface Go 3 then this is seriously good stuff for Windows tablets.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
if only we could go back to those halcyon days when operating systems were cool and good and had taskbars you could move around at launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXKOXBZegs

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I disabled the Android subsystem again for my gaming PC; because not only do I not need any Android app on my PC, enabling Hyper-V also really impacts overall performance (I/O especially).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried StarAllBack? Not sure if it does what you're looking for but it's excellent for me.

Oh, absolutely! I tried to do a few of the things I do every day on my main computer, and even played a recent game (had to really drop graphics on Win11 but that was because it’s my older one with a GTX 970). I really should not complain; it works well on games and having multiple chapters of writing at one time while also having like multiple browser tabs open. I tried StartAllBack and am happier with the results! My only bitching is in what “forces” me to use a 3rd party regedit or script or .exe for something that that should be a clickable option (I’ve used f.lux for years, but Win10’s NiteLight works fine and saves me a bit of resources, which I admit is not readily apparent to me ).

I guess the problem is I’m a grognard about my TB and StartMenu. It’s not like StartAllBack isn’t working or a memory hog. I said the same about day 1 Windows XP. XP and 7 are my favorite versions now, and early on XP I used StarDock so I’ll shut up now and beg in MS Feedback just to annoy Microsoft customer service :agesilaus:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

for extra special taskbar tomfoolery, I really love 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, and the most recent version added Win11 support. I'm not sure how functional all the features are but as someone who prefers no padding on their system tray icons as well as hiding the "show desktop" button, 7+TT has been a mainstay on my computers for almost a decade

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a new guide for upgrading Windows 10 to 11 on a machine that does not support it? There was some batch file stuff I found on Github but it didn't work for me.

What's the new hotness everyone is using for installing it without the ISO checking? Has someone made a version of the Win11 ISO that removes all the CPU and TPM check stuff?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there a new guide for upgrading Windows 10 to 11 on a machine that does not support it? There was some batch file stuff I found on Github but it didn't work for me.

What's the new hotness everyone is using for installing it without the ISO checking? Has someone made a version of the Win11 ISO that removes all the CPU and TPM check stuff?

Rufus is for you!

https://rufus.ie/en/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rufus doesn't support secure boot, I don't think it should be recommended these days.

https://www.mpnrc.org/windows-11-tpm-2-0-error-fix-bypass-method/
Scroll down to "Windows 11 TPM 2.0 Bypass" to see which registry keys you need to set during a fresh install to skip the checks.

In case you used to boot your system using CSM, you need to delete all partitions (after that, select the empty drive and click Next). Windows 11 will then convert your partitioning scheme from MBR to GPT.

If your system is so old it doesn't support UEFI boot, you probably shouldn't install Windows 11.

Also, first check whether you can enable the fTPM and Secure Boot (usually need to load factory keys first, reboot and then enable it) in the Bios.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 24, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fame Douglas posted:

Rufus doesn't support secure boot, I don't think it should be recommended these days.

I was able to install windows 11 with secure boot by using rufus to build a boot drive. No bypass needed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently they just fixed this with the latest release, their bootloader is now signed: Version 3.17 Update UEFI:NTFS to latest and remove Secure Boot notice since this version is Secure Boot signed

In that case, Rufus is a good option.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I'm kinda pissed. At it's anouncement, there was talk (and a quick video clip) of Virtual Desktops in Windows 11 working as I want them to work. With different icons/taskbar arrangements. My hope of different work/home/hobby desktop layout changeable with a button press was about to come real.

I find Windows 11 allows you to set a new wallpaper per desktop, and that's it. Maybe they'll add the other stuff later, but my guess is they won't because their implementation of virtual desktops has been shoddy as hell since introducing them.

For gently caress sake Microsoft, this shouldn't be hard.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm kinda pissed. At it's anouncement, there was talk (and a quick video clip) of Virtual Desktops in Windows 11 working as I want them to work. With different icons/taskbar arrangements. My hope of different work/home/hobby desktop layout changeable with a button press was about to come real.

I find Windows 11 allows you to set a new wallpaper per desktop, and that's it. Maybe they'll add the other stuff later, but my guess is they won't because their implementation of virtual desktops has been shoddy as hell since introducing them.

For gently caress sake Microsoft, this shouldn't be hard.

That last line crystallized my feelings for the upgrade. I am not a programmer at all, but I was into VB5 and 6 for a while because it was not only neat, but all the new widgets still had names from BASIC on my Tandy. So I do realize a complete rewrite can make old programs incompatible without a lot of work. But Win11 isn’t like going from DOS to Win95. The code from Win10 should be around there somewhere, and (again, willing to be smacked by any dev) it appears from their similarity to each other that adding a radio button or slider to a previous version’s GUI would at least be feasible. My son loves his MacBook Air and would flip the gently caress out if they rearranged his GUI to look like Win10. He isn’t an engineer, but he was able in college to use Linux laptops for statistical software and scraping data which I don’t, but it just seems that you could offer that natively (like a dev working on Command Line in DOS never had to see Windows 3.1 and it would be fine). StartAllBack helped a lot, but Windows is not Skyrim and shouldn’t need a mod community to dress it up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DerekSmartymans posted:

.... Windows is not Skyrim and shouldn’t need a mod community to dress it up.

Man, imagine if it were. Suddenly your explorer window starts rotating. Your desktop icons occasionally fall off and form a pile at the bottom edge of your screen. All the menu items face hit boxes sliiiiightly off from where you'd think they'd be.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Considering my Skyrim mod collection, Windows 11 about to get a lot more sexy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Like I said earlier, I didn't use Rufus or anything to bypass the check. Just the microsoft kit and removing appraiserres.dll

But that was several days ago so it may not work anymore. And I just ran setup from windows, no need to make bootable media.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That still works. The registry keys are the official way to skip the checks, but appraiserres works just as well.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The Ryzen L3 cache performance should be fixed, but now I've heard windows 11 sucks if you use VR so I'm back to waiting again.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That will really stop you and that other person from upgrading, huh.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Man, imagine if it were. Suddenly your explorer window starts rotating. Your desktop icons occasionally fall off and form a pile at the bottom edge of your screen. All the menu items face hit boxes sliiiiightly off from where you'd think they'd be.

Are you old enough to have seen AfterDark’s screensavers running? I particularly remember AD Totally Twisted on Win95 with sound turned up. I would pay dollars for a complete collection, in particular Totally Twisted, if it was finally compatible or working at all on Windows 10/11.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The Ryzen L3 cache performance should be fixed, but now I've heard windows 11 sucks if you use VR so I'm back to waiting again.

I can't remember if I've played VR since upgrading, but I think so. I can play some Until You Fall in a bit and report.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nah, VR working good for me, dunno where that's come from.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, VR is fine on 11.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Because of the lovely fractured nature of VR that could really depend, though, right? One compositor for one headset might work fine, but that doesn't mean all will.

During the beta I ended up going back to 10 because, right after upgrading, the Oculus compositor was dropping frames like crazy. Enough that it became unplayable (every third frame or so was dropped.) I assumed this was just beta stuff, there are a million different things that can add enough latency to VR's house of cards to just make the whole thing collapse so I guessed it was beta debug or diagnostics causing problems. Going back to Windows 10 completely solved the issue.

This is actually what it looked like https://uploadvr.com/windows-11-oculus-link-issues/ though, I use a link cable instead of Air Link and was getting it on that. I haven't tried with the rtm build yet because, well it seems like it sucks for other reasons, so who knows if I'd still have the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah that's true. I'll elaborate that I'm using an Index. Maybe Oculus stuff isn't quite up to date yet? I dunno how that stuff works; I didn't even know there was a "compositor" involved or what that even is.