Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/JasmineBala_/status/1452092929711874052?s=20

When exposed to water, potassium amylxanthate decomposes into carbon disulfide, which is

a) quite flammable
b) neurotoxic

I feel for the crew.

edit: JESUS CHRIST

quote:

Historic and current exposure

Industrial workers working with carbon disulfide are at high risk. Emissions may also harm the health of people living near rayon plants.[21]

Concerns about carbon disulfide exposure have a long history.[17][29][30] Around 1900, carbon disulfide came to be widely used in the production of vulcanized rubber. The psychosis produced by high exposures was immediately apparent (it has been reported with 6 months of exposure[21]). One infamous rubber factory put bars on its windows so that the workers would not jump out to their deaths. Its use in the US as a heavier-than-air burrow poison for Richardson's ground squirrel also lead to reports of psychosis. No systematic medical study of the issue was published, and knowledge was not transferred to the rayon industry.[26]

The first large epidemiological study of rayon workers was done in the US in the late 1930s, and found fairly severe effects in 30% of the workers. Data on increased risks of heart attacks and strokes came out in the 1960s. Courtaulds, a major rayon manufacturer, worked hard to prevent publication of this data in the UK.[26] Average concentrations in sampled rayon plants were reduced from about 250 mg/m3 in 1955-1965 to about 20-30 mg/m3 in the 1980s (US figures only?[United States-centric]).[21] Rayon production has since largely moved to the developing world, especially China, Indonesia and India.[25][26]

Rates of disability in modern factories are unknown, as of 2016.[31][25] Current manufacturers using the viscose process do not provide any information on harm to their workers.[26][25]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carbon Disulfide is some Very Nasty poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kesper North posted:

https://twitter.com/JasmineBala_/status/1452092929711874052?s=20

When exposed to water, potassium amylxanthate decomposes into carbon disulfide, which is

a) quite flammable
b) neurotoxic

I feel for the crew.

edit: JESUS CHRIST

I was worried when I saw chemical fire on a container hanging since that means its a very unstable substance. They are hosed and might have to abandon and wait for it to burn out.

I've been telling everyone to buy Christmas presents early but if you haven't bought them by now its too late.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
what the gently caress

screaming posted:

The leaked grant proposal struck a number of scientists and researchers as significant for one reason. One distinctive segment of SARS-CoV-2’s genetic code is a furin cleavage site that makes the virus more infectious by allowing it to efficiently enter human cells. That is just the feature that EcoHealth Alliance and the Wuhan Institute of Virology had proposed to engineer in the 2018 grant proposal. “If I applied for funding to paint Central Park purple and was denied, but then a year later we woke up to find Central Park painted purple, I’d be a prime suspect,”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
ho ly poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That is very dubious stuff.

There have been multiple studies indicating that an engineered virus is completely unlikely and would require separate technological leaps combined to have generated the sequence of this virus without the hallmarks of genetic engineering that would normally be used to make it.

Evolving a new furin cleavage site by natural evolution is more or less expected and very likely to happen because it would be advantageous for propagation of the virus if it did so. Someone also proposing it as a means to test by adding features while controversial is not some highly novel thought.

The article makes a bit of an argument to incredulity there. Hard to say more about it without being able to see the actual Grant they are discussing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This is like the fifth different “smoking gun” I’ve seen for the lab leak theory, and they’re not cumulative.

I’m not willing to completely dismiss the theory, but this isn’t earth shattering proof. We’ll probably never know for sure.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ted Kaczynski worked at a rubber factory

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Child sex trafficking Congressman overtly endorses Great Replacement conspiracy theory:
https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1441807874053885952

And an actual goddamn bluhtfahn
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1448589553896468487

Anyone who thinks that a literal fascist takeover of America isn't coming soon is either a lot more ignorant or a lot more optimistic than I am.

https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1451919403491151874

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do you think ole Prescott's mad as hell that it's not his fuckup bloodline that's gonna be the first of america's dictators

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FrozenVent posted:

This is like the fifth different “smoking gun” I’ve seen for the lab leak theory, and they’re not cumulative.

I’m not willing to completely dismiss the theory, but this isn’t earth shattering proof. We’ll probably never know for sure.

It's not even proof of anything or a smoking gun. It simply someone saying "hey here's how we think the virus can evolve to become more powerful and we should try that in a controlled environment and see how bad it would be so we can study and prepare for that." This type of proposal comes up now and then and it's hotly debated in the field whether or not they should be allowable because of the obvious risks.

It completely ignores that if a lab had actually constructed a virus to do that it sequence would look very different than the current virus that is lurking in the wild and have telltale signatures of manipulation that would only be absent if some very new techniques had been developed in secret alongside it. It also ignores that the ace2 receptor binding and the way that it does that was also novel and unexpected and would have had to again have been developed in secret and combined with another wholly novel and secret technique being developed.

To me the only actually plausible lab leak theory is that a naturally evolved worse version of virus had been identified and studied in a lab and then either accidentally or purposefully was released. No evidence of that so far has come to light.

E: not posting this as an argument against you just providing some more context.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is the “tale tale signs of genetic manipulation”? Are we talking about restriction enzyme sites or something? Methylation patterns? I am genuinely interested in what these signs that they’re looking for and saying aren’t there in the wild Covid would be.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anyone who thinks that a literal fascist takeover of America isn't coming soon is either a lot more ignorant or a lot more optimistic than I am.

https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1451919403491151874

I look forward to being told this belief is just doomer nonsense while nothing is done to stop it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is the “tale tale signs of genetic manipulation”? Are we talking about restriction enzyme sites or something? Methylation patterns? I am genuinely interested in what these signs that they’re looking for and saying aren’t there in the wild Covid would be.

Some of it discussed here in one of the subsections

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That Works posted:

Some of it discussed here in one of the subsections

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1452116083561795588?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Trumpists and a group of folks using BLM branding attempted to storm Barclay Center over the suspension of a lovely player's suspension for refusing vaccination.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1452356957768138760

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

Trumpists and a group of folks using BLM branding attempted to storm Barclay Center over the suspension of a lovely player's suspension for refusing vaccination.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1452356957768138760

Kyrie and those idiots deserve each other.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Is it common for American recruiters to cold call/text people? I've seen a few screenshots like this and it's always weirded me out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Generation Internet posted:

Is it common for American recruiters to cold call/text people? I've seen a few screenshots like this and it's always weirded me out.

Yes, I've gotten a confirmed cold call. I suspect it was a college administration somebody who sold my number and demographics to a recruiter.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The funniest case of cold-calling I've seen is that after I talked to a Navy recruiter, my dad, a 60 year old physician, somehow got a letter offering a direct commission as like an O-5 in the Army medical corps. Maybe it was a complete coincidence, but we shared a good chuckle over it before he tossed it in the trash and continued with his retirement plans.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
High schools used to have recruiters drop in and try to talk some suckers into joining. No idea if that's still going on (probably). Those dumb enough to take the ASVAB in 11th grade give their information when they sign up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

This was particularly weird because there was the one video and that was about it. The Barclay's Center released a statement like an hour later:

quote:

Barclays Center briefly closed its doors today in order to clear protestors from the main doors on the plaza and ensure guests could safely enter the arena," an arena spokeswoman said. "Only ticketed guests were able to enter the building and the game proceeded according to schedule." https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-anti-vaccine-protest-kyrie-irving-barclays-center/11163508/

Then the cops showed up to make the critical mass and that was that, but:

quote:

The protests did have a ripple effect. Some fans didn't get inside to see the game until half time, resulting in many empty seats as the game against the Charlotte Hornets was set to begin.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I’m surprised they aren’t cold calling Canadians as well. Some days I look at housing prices around here and then housing prices just south of the border and I consider what I would do for a green card

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah they did it to me. I had to take the ASVAB for a scholarship and they were blowing my phone up until they'd get me and I told them I had type 1 diabetes. Mom would always get snippy with them about "going to college" stuff but no need to waste their time or make them feel bad, just tell them I'm medically unacceptable and let them get on with their day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kazinsal posted:

I’m surprised they aren’t cold calling Canadians as well. Some days I look at housing prices around here and then housing prices just south of the border and I consider what I would do for a green card

Don't join for citizenship, that's for goddamn sure. You'd probably stand a better chance than anyone from south of texas, but I wouldn't trust them to keep that promise having known a dude they hosed like that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

High schools used to have recruiters drop in and try to talk some suckers into joining. No idea if that's still going on (probably). Those dumb enough to take the ASVAB in 11th grade give their information when they sign up.

The No Child Left Behind Act stipulates that high schools have to provide the US Military the exact same information that they provide to colleges about their students.

Richer areas can mitigate this by just not giving anyone info about their students. Lower performing high schools are often interested in getting colleges onto campus and calling their students since how many graduates go into college affects their performance metrics. This also has the side affect of welcoming military recruiters into the school and gets all their kids contacted.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't join for citizenship, that's for goddamn sure. You'd probably stand a better chance than anyone from south of texas, but I wouldn't trust them to keep that promise having known a dude they hosed like that.

I joined for citizenship, which I don't recommend really, but 6 weeks into basic training I was getting sworn in at a federal courthouse.

However, plenty of dudes get hosed over with it. It became a big thing at Benning when I was there. One of our platoon guys had been going to main post for a year trying to get the dicksack idiot there to do even the slightest his job required, but it never went anywhere. I heard about and said what the gently caress, I got mine in 6 weeks. CO and 1SG heard that and poo poo went absolutely wild after that, I ended up getting 2 different full birds pay me a visit to verify the dates and timelines on my paperwork. Dudes were madder than gently caress.

Don't know if it got fixed, got out not long after that, but by rights it should work quickly and smoothly. It was actually a drat chaplain at Knox who got everyone organized and all their paperwork together. Whole bunch of us got done at once.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Glad it worked out for you, but it's mostly a trap people get stuck in because there's a racist or similar vintage piece of poo poo in the way.

I'm guessing the easier it is for you to pass the paper bag test, the fewer problems you'll typically encounter, but I knew guys on active duty for years, to the point of re-enlisting repeatedly because they hadn't received citizenship yet. That was 15 years ago so maybe things have improved, but I doubt by much.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, for me it was fine, and for everyone else that went through with me it was fine. Skin color didn't matter, chaplain just made that poo poo happen.

Funnily enough when we met with the USCIS people before the swearing in, never have I seen people's attitude change so fast when it was said that a service member won't be joining them today because he's getting kicked out for "anti american sentiment".

But yeah, at Benning, apparently it was just one fat poo poo retiree that decided he didn't want to do anything. So that's what he did, and just blamed immigration, and then people PCS.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The funniest case of cold-calling I've seen is that after I talked to a Navy recruiter, my dad, a 60 year old physician, somehow got a letter offering a direct commission as like an O-5 in the Army medical corps. Maybe it was a complete coincidence, but we shared a good chuckle over it before he tossed it in the trash and continued with his retirement plans.

I got called, and of course sent plenty of mail (from everywhere really) as soon as I was out of med school and while in residency. There was a point at my second year in residency when I was alone but felt like the whole world was in front of me and wondered what it would be like to be a doc on a ship or aircraft carrier or something cool. I read a bit about mil MD programs and got pretty excited. But then I thought to look up experiences on forums and it was pretty bleak. Most people complained of just not getting that great medicine experience because the types of cases are pretty limited (trauma and std’s was the joke). I often saw people say they’d spend days sweeping outside or reading and seeing maybe 1 or 2 patients. The surreal dream just sort of died on its own.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Granted it was the 90s, but the army and marines cold called the hell out of me my senior year of HS and frosh year of college.

Now my kids are in high school and the marines still show up at football games being all chummy with the juniors and seniors.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I wonder how many years of healthcare expenses in the US it would take to make up the difference saved in housing price

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

stealie72 posted:

Granted it was the 90s, but the army and marines cold called the hell out of me my senior year of HS and frosh year of college.

Now my kids are in high school and the marines still show up at football games being all chummy with the juniors and seniors.

Because you had a home phone that the family shared. The schools nowadays have mom and dad’s phone and after the 300th time of getting told to go gently caress themselves, I am sure the recruiters have moved on to other methods of finding kids.

I recruited 06-09 and even then families were starting to shift to mobile phones only. That meant I had to go knock on doors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Glad it worked out for you, but it's mostly a trap people get stuck in because there's a racist or similar vintage piece of poo poo in the way.

I'm guessing the easier it is for you to pass the paper bag test, the fewer problems you'll typically encounter, but I knew guys on active duty for years, to the point of re-enlisting repeatedly because they hadn't received citizenship yet. That was 15 years ago so maybe things have improved, but I doubt by much.

Huh. Filipino guy in my boot camp got his citizenship halfway through boot. Was a touching little ceremony before we back to doing pushups or whatever.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/exclusive-jan-6-organizers-met-congress-white-house-1245289/

drat probably going to have to cut more public spending from infrastructure bill to show the GOP they mean bipartisan business now

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My old room mate's Dad is a well renowned specialty surgeon who got offered a stupid deal to commission and deploy. He said it was a short course of how to Army, then a year in AFG as a MAJ. I think he said he did a deployment, 1 year stateside, then got out. I'll message him, because I am probably loving something up.

E- I messaged him to find out the details, because I remember this being one of those fairy tale things.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I agreed to talk to a marines recruiter when I was a dumb college freshman off a cold call because they offered to buy me pizza. I talked about how if I joined I'd want to do IT and fly UAVs because I like computers and video games.

They seemed deeply disapointed in me. Pizza was good though.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/exclusive-jan-6-organizers-met-congress-white-house-1245289/

drat probably going to have to cut more public spending from infrastructure bill to show the GOP they mean bipartisan business now

That article is pro-click.

Shot.

quote:

And Gosar, who has been one of the most prominent defenders of the Jan. 6 rioters, allegedly took things a step further. Both sources say he dangled the possibility of a “blanket pardon” in an unrelated ongoing investigation to encourage them to plan the protests.

“Our impression was that it was a done deal,” the organizer says, “that he’d spoken to the president about it in the Oval … in a meeting about pardons and that our names came up. They were working on submitting the paperwork and getting members of the House Freedom Caucus to sign on as a show of support.”

The organizer claims the pair received “several assurances” about the “blanket pardon” from Gosar.

“I was just going over the list of pardons and we just wanted to tell you guys how much we appreciate all the hard work you’ve been doing,” Gosar said, according to the organizer.

Chaser

quote:

“I do kind of feel abandoned by Trump,” says the planner. “I’m actually pretty pissed about it and I’m pissed at him.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

More info on identification of lab created / modified viruses etc.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22734496/genetic-engineering-attribution-biosecurity-forensics-biological-detective-work