Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

In Halls' case, if the statements are true, the only time I'd like to hear him say 'cold gun', is after he placed the gun against his temple and pulled the trigger.

gently caress I think I know his type and it is making me unreasonably angry.

edit: poo poo, accidental snipe - I wish I had gone with something something Voltron of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

He's the type of yes man who will absolutely skip safety protocols under producer pressure. The problem is that the producers of the movie included...Baldwin.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/mhutchins/status/1451743853359239168

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like the part where the unionized workers walk away and there isn't a single day of filming missed because people are just absolutely scrambling, scraping, and clawing to work in any movie at all and will drive their personal cars 50 miles into the desert to a workplace that is effectively a live-fire exercise.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The problem ultimately is there are too drat many movies being made. Rust with Alec Baldwin? No one was ever going to watch or even hear of this movie. They should've asked me and I would've told them what a waste of time and resources the whole thing was.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm filming a movie its called "Coven" it stars me and my buddies anyone wanna come be the arborist?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Palpek posted:

He's the type of yes man who will absolutely skip safety protocols under producer pressure. The problem is that the producers of the movie included...Baldwin.

Shoot with what we know now, that's not even the issue. He had the experience to know that a really important safety protocol was being skipped and the clout to be able to demand said protocol. His behavior was negligent the second he accepted the "cold" gun from someone not the armorer.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's true every movie ever made is designed to be a AAA blockbuster and never any other sort of story telling or artistic device and is a waste of time I am very smart

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm probably gonna watch Rust, it sounds like a cool movie.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm probably gonna watch Rust, it sounds like a cool movie.

They were only about halfway through their schedule. There is no movie. If a reformed production company is put together to complete it, it will be very weird. Everybody now knows this was a cursed production and the original AD will be probably in prison and they'll need a living DP. Will Baldwin be found culpable in some sanctionable way for the chaotic set conditions? I'd never heard of this film before. But maybe the curiosity value is now high enough and they could spin it into a charity thing with some chunk of proceeds going to Hutchins' family.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They were joking, dude

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/sl_huang/status/1451797888158375937
Here's a useful (long) twitter thread by a very good on-set armorer that might answer a lot of questions. For anyione interested I'd suggest having a read, it's quite informative.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Big Beef City posted:

They were joking, dude

They should make a movie about the making of this movie. Alec’s role can be played by any of his brothers.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

AD stands for accidental death

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

One of my friends turned down the offer as propmaster for Rust because he wanted a couple weeks of sabbatical between shoots.

He is pretty upset with his decision.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Shoot with what we know now, that's not even the issue. He had the experience to know that a really important safety protocol was being skipped and the clout to be able to demand said protocol. His behavior was negligent the second he accepted the "cold" gun from someone not the armorer.

At a minimum I see three issues suggesting negligence on Baldwin's part:

1) Accepting the gun from the wrong person, ignoring safety protocols. As you point out he had the power to demand correct procedure.
2) Not bothering to check the gun to confirm it was safe or address the above safety protocol violation. This would take all of 2 minutes and at least suggests he wasn't too concerned about #1.
3) Pointing a gun directly at somebody and pulling the trigger, ignoring all basic firearm safety rules.

*removed as article was bullshit*

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 24, 2021

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm filming a movie its called "Coven" it stars me and my buddies anyone wanna come be the arborist?

And risk jail time for violating tree law?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Warbadger posted:

At a minimum I see three issues suggesting negligence on Baldwin's part:

1) Accepting the gun from the wrong person, ignoring safety protocols. As you point out he had the power to demand correct procedure.
2) Not bothering to check the gun to confirm it was safe or address the above safety protocol violation. This would take all of 2 minutes and at least suggests he wasn't too concerned about #1.
3) Pointing a gun directly at somebody and pulling the trigger, ignoring all basic firearm safety rules.

And #3 is gonna be a lot worse if the reports about him joking around with it at the time are true.

I'm curious which reports you are talking about with regards to number 3?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Superrodan posted:

I'm curious which reports you are talking about with regards to number 3?

in order to shoot someone with a gun it's basically necessary to point the gun at and pull the trigger. unless the gun was a legit antique without modern safety mechanisms. it's possible the trigger snagged on something too i suppose.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Was she acting in this? Like why was he pointing it at her in the first place?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Like. I get OSHA is probably completely toothless in America and no one rich and In Hollywood faces consequences but this seems like a slam dunk OSHA conviction.

If I goofed around with a forklift and killed someone because the brakes failed they would still throw my rear end in jail.

Because I’m only Steven Baldwin

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

in order to shoot someone with a gun it's basically necessary to point the gun at and pull the trigger. unless the gun was a legit antique without modern safety mechanisms. it's possible the trigger snagged on something too i suppose.

What I mean is the "reports of him joking" that you brought up, because the only reports I have personally heard of that are the jokes in this thread that gave it its title.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Like. I get OSHA is probably completely toothless in America and no one rich and In Hollywood faces consequences but this seems like a slam dunk OSHA conviction.

If I goofed around with a forklift and killed someone because the brakes failed they would still throw my rear end in jail.

Because I’m only Steven Baldwin

OSHA is not toothless, but OSHA's job is not to blame + prosecute the person who pulled the trigger, so to speak, slap their hands and go "CASE CLOSED," when there was obviously a chain of events of severe negligence leading to the incident.

edit: I have been involved in multiple industrial accidents because I Have worked in factories for nearly a decade, OSHA doesn't come in and go, "well, that operator hosed up, better fire and sue them!" They generally go into structure and process and poo poo always rolls uphill.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 24, 2021

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Superrodan posted:

What I mean is the "reports of him joking" that you brought up, because the only reports I have personally heard of that are the jokes in this thread that gave it its title.

That was apparently originating from a edit of a Variety article that made the rounds before being debunked. Not seeing any other article about him actually joking about it, so hopefully that part is bullshit.

punishedkissinger posted:

It's a single action gun, apparently, which makes sense for old cowboy revolvers. The trigger is going to have to snag pretty hard on something to pull the trigger.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

frumpykvetchbot posted:

They were only about halfway through their schedule. There is no movie. If a reformed production company is put together to complete it, it will be very weird. Everybody now knows this was a cursed production and the original AD will be probably in prison and they'll need a living DP. Will Baldwin be found culpable in some sanctionable way for the chaotic set conditions? I'd never heard of this film before. But maybe the curiosity value is now high enough and they could spin it into a charity thing with some chunk of proceeds going to Hutchins' family.

The movie will make 700 million dollars and Hollywood will somehow claim it lost money as to not have to pay Hutchins' family any money.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

OSHA is not toothless, but OSHA's job is not also to blame + prosecute the person who pulled the trigger, so to speak, slap their hands and go "CASE CLOSED," when there was obviously a chain of events of severe negligence leading to the incident.

If he pointed it at someone he was not supposed to point it at and was in fact goofing around that’s about as sinful as it gets in workplace violations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/sl_huang/status/1451797888158375937
Here's a useful (long) twitter thread by a very good on-set armorer that might answer a lot of questions. For anyione interested I'd suggest having a read, it's quite informative.
Thanks, that was extremely informative and at least told me that even a very experienced movie armorer doesn't understand how on that set: a)a loaded gun was described as a cold gun to Baldwin, b)a gun was aimed at a person on the set, c)a real round somehow found its way on to the set. Basically it had to be an extremely compromised set run by madmen at this point so everything was possible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Superrodan posted:

that wasn't me! i havent seen any reports of that. idk about the poster you quoted though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

If he pointed it at someone he was not supposed to point it at and was in fact goofing around that’s about as sinful as it gets in workplace violations.

"Why was the gun loving loaded with live rounds by a professional whose job it is to ensure that never happens, then passed as safe," is about 100x bigger a violation than what you're describing because of the circumstances!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Noblesse Obliged posted:

They were rehearsing for a scene in which Baldwin is drawing and pointing a revolver at the camera, creating the POV of whomever his character would be aiming at in the movie. The director and the DP were crowding behind the camera operator to watch the monitor, giving instructions for the framing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah it's not really reasonable to expect your actors to be competent with firearms. you need a structure in place where they CAN NOT gently caress up by accident

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

"Why was the gun loving loaded with live rounds by a professional whose job it is to ensure that never happens, then passed as safe," is about 100x bigger a violation than what you're describing because of the circumstances!

Again. If a piece of equipment, through no fault of my own was tampered with or not functioning due to others neglect it would not excuse me in any workplace violation if I was found to be using it improperly or using it for “horseplay”.

Also I’m actually responsible for inspecting equipment I use before I use it. If I am not able to judge if it is safe then I’m not trained enough to use and shouldn’t be using it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mrfart posted:

They should make a movie about the making of this movie. Alec’s role can be played by any of his brothers.

Tom Hanks.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

They were rehearsing for a scene in which Baldwin is drawing and pointing a revolver at the camera, creating the POV of whomever his character would be aiming at in the movie. The director and the DP were crowding behind the camera operator to watch the monitor, giving instructions for the framing.

If they were only rehearsing, he shouldn't have had an actual gun in his hands, no? A (rubber) prop gun would do just as well.

At least that's what I'm getting from that twitter thread by competent armorer guy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It doesn't seem unreasonable that they'd want shots where he's pointing in the direction of the camera. Then simultaneously, he misses his mark and accidentally points at the person operating the camera and also, the much bigger gently caress up of someone bringing real bullets onto a film set and then loading them into a gun and then the people in charge of satefy declaring the gun safe despite not checking it happens.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Again. If a piece of equipment, through no fault of my own was tampered with or not functioning due to others neglect it would not excuse me in any workplace violation if I was found to be using it improperly or using it for “horseplay”.

Also I’m actually responsible for inspecting equipment I use before I use it. If I am not able to judge if it is safe then I’m not trained enough to use and shouldn’t be using it.

well it's a good thing we don't have 19 other pages of information and updated details anywhere for you to check out instead of kramering in here to ask the same questions people have been since page 1 and then explaining to us all how 'actually pointing guns at people is dangerous' I mean, thank god for that

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

uXs posted:

If they were only rehearsing, he shouldn't have had an actual gun in his hands, no? A (rubber) prop gun would do just as well.

At least that's what I'm getting from that twitter thread by competent armorer guy.

It also seems reckless to have him pointing it directly at a camera with crew standing in his line of fire during a shoot where he not just points, but fires the gun. You don't need to do that, and even shooting blanks with a lovely plexiglass barrier in front of them introduces the potential to injure/kill somebody if something unexpected happens. Use a proper barrier or angle things slightly and keep the people out of the line of fire.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Woah if this is true Alec Baldwin is canceled

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

So if my technician and my mechanic check a problem I'm having with a machine, OK it, then I pass down to someone that the problem isn't a big deal and they get hurt by said problem that I made a big deal about, it's their fault for getting hurt for not properly inspecting, even if they did (they didn't).

That's not how OSHA investigations work!

edit: most workplace incidents are slips, trips, falls. The <10% that aren't can generally be categorized as a combination of misinformation coming down the chain combined with rushing employees to just loving get it done, $$$$.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

uXs posted:

A rubber prop gun??? That doesn't shoot bullets?

Tommy Wiseau would have called that mickey mouse stuff.