Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

It did change just not to your arbitrary standards.

Because get this, a lot of nobility died in real life, France itself experienced this and guess what? New people were just elevated to the old positions.

The system just changing for no real reason doesn’t happen

Then the show should be about that.
Everything leading up to the final seasons was about how things were going to change. Magic and dragons had returned. So had the white walkers. And a winter that could last generations was about to set in. Instead it all just peters out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

Then the show should be about that.
Everything leading up to the final seasons was about how things were going to change. Magic and dragons had returned. So had the white walkers. And a winter that could last generations was about to set in. Instead it all just peters out.

Wait you mean a big bad threat happened and the heroes defeated it.

And your shocked this happened. Did you think the world was going to end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be a lot cooler

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly, yeah. Everything about the series would lead you to believe that the "heroes" (aka, a bunch of idiots and assholes) were hosed. The show explicitly stated many times leading up to the last season that if they didn't all work together against the white walkers they would be hosed, and then they kept squabbling and not working together.

And then ??????? everything turns out fine for some reason. GRRM/the showrunners were cowards for not writing a "white walkers win" ending.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, the show explicitly set out to try and subvert tropes (a mc dying early, etc.). It’s 100% reasonable to think maybe the group of dumb squabbling morons that always acted with narcissistically short sighted self interest might lose to the climate change metaphor.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the ending works better if it was all manipulated by 3-eyed raven who has now possessed bran to become an immortal god king. Which you could sort of infer if you’ve read the books, but certainly wasn’t even hinted at in the show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I guess if you expected that then I understand being underwhelmed. But I never got that impression. GOT was a story where bad things happened but it still felt like a story. Where their was going to be a definitive end built upon throughout the story.

Oh and a lot of filler

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/ClassicShowbiz/status/1452062382847500291?s=20

https://twitter.com/ClassicShowbiz/status/1449426945209364480

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is that a loving corncob

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I dunno, when you spend literally years talking up this Night King guy as an unstoppable badass leading a world-ending army of the dead and it turns out his secret weakness is getting stabbed...once...by a dagger...I think people are bound to think it's kinda anticlimatic.

I mean line 'em up and you can go through twenty-three Night Kings in the length of time it'll take you to take out one Julius Caesar.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that a loving corncob

Having cut my teeth as a graphic designer doing newspaper ads for rural craft shows, yeah, that’s corn. No, it doesn’t have a reason to be there. Someone paid extra to put a picture in that ad and by god, they’re gonna have a picture in it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Maybe for would get you cancelled in the 50s

It was a different time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Having cut my teeth as a graphic designer doing newspaper ads for rural craft shows, yeah, that’s corn. No, it doesn’t have a reason to be there. Someone paid extra to put a picture in that ad and by god, they’re gonna have a picture in it.

I think the joke is meant to be that it'll be corny.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Every couple years a successful comedian complains about cancel culture or whatever term is popular because they tried a joke that didn’t get laughs. It’s usually not even for it being offensive and people are outraged, it just didn’t land.

Like Jerry Seinfeld and his “Gay French King” joke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

It's more that the show keeps building up to finale where there's going to be a big change in Westeros. Winter is coming and no one is really prepared for it. Dany wants to break the wheel. Magic and dragons have returned. A lot of the big noble houses gets more or less wiped out. And then in the end everything returns to normal.

I found the whole scene kind of comic in that there are almost no noble houses left. The majority of the negotiating happens between bit characters we’ve barely seen, like the psycho kid who breastfeeds at 12 and the guy who spent the whole series locked in a basement, plus Sam who is only legitimate because he’s the only member of his family still alive.

I know it’s a “happy” ending because a threat has been defeated, but it does seem like kind of a post-apocalyptic ending as well in that their society really has been hollowed out and they’re trying to move on in the smoking crater of the capitol city where millions have just been burned alive.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I know it’s a “happy” ending because a threat has been defeated, but it does seem like kind of a post-apocalyptic ending as well in that their society really has been hollowed out and they’re trying to move on in the smoking crater of the capitol city where millions have just been burned alive.

It doesn't feel like a post-apocalyptic ending though. Everyone is acting like it's back to normal.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
GRRM had bullet points of two or three entire books that didn't work narratively or structurally, which he gave to two showrunners who didn't give a poo poo and figured they could wing it, and the end result was unwatchable garbage that people in the last two pages have spent more time trying to make sense of than the people who got paid millions to make it did. It's media that didn't age well in real time!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I found the whole scene kind of comic in that there are almost no noble houses left. The majority of the negotiating happens between bit characters we’ve barely seen, like the psycho kid who breastfeeds at 12 and the guy who spent the whole series locked in a basement, plus Sam who is only legitimate because he’s the only member of his family still alive.

* a mariachi band plays the GoT theme in the burnt out ruins of Kings Landing *

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It worked out pretty well for the finale of Dinosaurs!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Off the GOT stuff, why not one super hosed up Harry Potter thing?

Love potions. Why the gently caress are rape drugs totally legal and cheap/easy enough for schoolkids to get or make?

Strange Magic was one WTF movie from George Lucas, but love potions were never shown as good things.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just one?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toshimo posted:

It worked out pretty well for the finale of Dinosaurs!

No one has thought about that show in thirty years

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tiggum posted:

He's saying that Scots are stingy. That's the entirety of his self-described "best joke".

Scots being super cheap is an age old stereotype, there's even a Disney franchise built entirely around the joke.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Scots being super cheap is an age old stereotype, there's even a Disney franchise built entirely around the joke.

It's pretty funny.

That and the stereotype that Scots are ill tempered elementary school grounds keepers, that The Simpsons cemented in pop culture.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, the show explicitly set out to try and subvert tropes (a mc dying early, etc.). It’s 100% reasonable to think maybe the group of dumb squabbling morons that always acted with narcissistically short sighted self interest might lose to the climate change metaphor.

I think the “subverting tropes” thing is overstated.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

When the inspiration for the story is that it's basically a fantasy jazzed up version of events 600 years old I think "subverting" is a stretch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair it’s no really that close to the war of the roses. You can see that he definitely took some inspiration from parts but the roses was a long long event that took on like 40years. Including like a decade where the war looked like it was over until the winner died do you being very unhealthy

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

christmas boots posted:

I mean when done well, like most things, it can make you think or give life to a dying genre.

When done poorly, its heavy handed and muddled.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean when done well, like most things, it can make you think or give life to a dying genre.

When done poorly, its heavy handed and muddled.

Sure, but in the case of GoT (and the book series) specifically, the plot wasn't just written around doing the least expected thing at every turn. Ned Stark didn't die just because you expect the main viewpoint character to survive everything, he died because this was a setting where realpolitik trumps a pure-hearted hero.

I think where this drove toward the ending was that Jon, who is a very traditional fantasy hero - a boy who is the secret heir to the old legitimate dynasty, who brings together the squabbling factions to face against the world-ending villains and leads them to victory, who saw off every challenger and even came back from death itself - is sent to a life sentence and the throne given to some unrelated kid because that's just more convenient for everybody.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The families were broadened and the time was condensed but the major upheavals are all represented.

King Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, Ned, Robb, Stannis, Tywin, Walder Frey and Daenerys all have direct analogues to the events. It's the stuff that was changed from the back half of book three onward, when he decided to go from a trilogy to a series that starts shifting away. It also happens to be when the politics start getting a bit wonkier.

He also pulled in some stuff from elsewhere in English history, like William the Conqueror's successor being a blood thirsty poo poo that is 'accidentally' killed on a hunting trip by Lord Tyrell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean they don’t have the winning king losing a battle and dying completely reversing the course of the war. Then the king winning only to have his advisor turn on him and put him in house arrest. Which he only escaped because the nobles refused to take orders without seeing king. So the advisor took him off house arrest only for him to just wander away. Forcing the advisor to join forces with the first kings Queen and son.

Those events are two of the most important events not represented

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cowslips Warren posted:

Love potions. Why the gently caress are rape drugs totally legal and cheap/easy enough for schoolkids to get or make?

Strange Magic was one WTF movie from George Lucas, but love potions were never shown as good things.

I watched a video on The Craft and it’s successors recently, and one takeaway was that they handled the love potion given to Skeet Ulrich’s character in such a way that he’s not instantly in love with his mark. He’s mostly confused as to why he’s suddenly feeling like he should dote on this person and be around her all the time. His friends try to get him to act normal and he’s not BUT I AM IN LOVE…he’s like, drat, I should go do that, but imma sit next to Nancy instead, I guess.

It’s more like the idea that a hypnotized person might be compelled to do something, but only if they were already okay with doing it. Coercion only takes you so far.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair it’s no really that close to the war of the roses. You can see that he definitely took some inspiration from parts but the roses was a long long event that took on like 40years. Including like a decade where the war looked like it was over until the winner died do you being very unhealthy

The funny thing is, the reason why the younger characters in the books are way too young for the actions they take is that GRRM intended the narrative to span a generation like the war of the roses, he just realized partway through he had no idea how to do it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tenebrais posted:

Sure, but in the case of GoT (and the book series) specifically, the plot wasn't just written around doing the least expected thing at every turn. Ned Stark didn't die just because you expect the main viewpoint character to survive everything, he died because this was a setting where realpolitik trumps a pure-hearted hero.

I think where this drove toward the ending was that Jon, who is a very traditional fantasy hero - a boy who is the secret heir to the old legitimate dynasty, who brings together the squabbling factions to face against the world-ending villains and leads them to victory, who saw off every challenger and even came back from death itself - is sent to a life sentence and the throne given to some unrelated kid because that's just more convenient for everybody.

I think that was the one beat I found pretty satisfying in the finale. Jon never had a place in the Seven Kingdoms outside of the Watch which doesn't really exist anymore. He seemingly hated every moment of being King in the North and was insanely comfortable at the prospect of handing off his authority to the first Targaryan he saw. The only time we really see him happy is with the wildlings in the north and so his "punishment" such as it is, is effectively banishing him to the place he always wanted to be anyway.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

rodbeard posted:

The funny thing is, the reason why the younger characters in the books are way too young for the actions they take is that GRRM intended the narrative to span a generation like the war of the roses, he just realized partway through he had no idea how to do it.

This is one thing that baffles me about creative endeavors: do most people just jump in to do something without having any idea how to end it? Is this a “burning the ships” style motivational technique? I can’t fathom even starting the process without having at least least a high level idea of the major beats a plot is going for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

This is one thing that baffles me about creative endeavors: do most people just jump in to do something without having any idea how to end it? Is this a “burning the ships” style motivational technique? I can’t fathom even starting the process without having at least least a high level idea of the major beats a plot is going for.

I mean I think he knew the ending, just the middle is what he struggled with

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

AceOfFlames posted:

He almost certainly started with an outline, but sometimes things change in the actual execution and you realize parts of the outline aren't working the way you envisioned them. There's also a philosophy where you let things develop sort of organically by writing more in terms of how the characters would believable act than how you get to the next plot point. In Martin's own words:

quote:

“I think there are two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. The architects plan everything ahead of time, like an architect building a house. They know how many rooms are going to be in the house, what kind of roof they're going to have, where the wires are going to run, what kind of plumbing there's going to be. They have the whole thing designed and blueprinted out before they even nail the first board up. The gardeners dig a hole, drop in a seed and water it. They kind of know what seed it is, they know if planted a fantasy seed or mystery seed or whatever. But as the plant comes up and they water it, they don't know how many branches it's going to have, they find out as it grows. And I'm much more a gardener than an architect.”

I think there's merit to both philosophies but Martin is a great example of how that approach can backfire in a big way.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I can see why people find Ned Stark's death surprising because he's written to be the classic plodding do-gooder hero, but he's just a False Protagonist. A story technique so common and well known that it has its own Wikipedia article.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am still wondering where he got the title Honorable Ned Stark. We don't see him doing anything overtly noble or honorable unless you count him raising Jon directly (and I still have the theory the only reason the kid was smothered as a baby was Ned didn't let Cat around him), and in which case that seems more of an insult. Lots of lords had bastards, and it was fine to send provisions, but you don't raise them with your trueborn kids in GOT.

Hell, had he just told one more lie to Cat, that the baby was Benjen's bastard, Cat might have actually liked the kid. A bastard nephew is not as much of a threat as a bastard son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ned Stark in the books is like 34.