Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

*still employs Tom Cable*

*still employs Ritchie Incognito*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Now I'm curious. Has it ever worked?

Marv Levy with the Bills and Don Coryell with the Chargers were both mentioned as successful examples, but both were hired from outside the organization and both had previous NFL head coaching experience. Coryell had been fired from the Cardinals because their ownership was idiotic and everyone knew it, while Levy had been successful in the CFL before a meh-stint with the Chiefs and then time in the USFL before going to Buffalo. Interestingly, the Colts did the same thing late in the same year (1986) hiring Ron Meyer, who then traded for Eric Dickerson the following year before trading way too much to draft Jeff George a few years later. At a very quick glance over midseason coaching changes, those are the only ones that jumped out to me where the new coach came from outside the organization.

As far as the interim thing from within the organization goes, Marty Schottenheimer replaced Sam Rutigliano midseason in 1984 and worked out for the Browns. I can't remember if it was him or Jeff Fisher in Houston, but IIRC it was one of them who told their respective owner that they wouldn't take the job with an "interim" title, and instantly were named as they new head coach for the rest of that season and going forward. A bit before Jeff Fisher, the Oilers did the same thing with Jerry Glanville, and he had a few not-terrible seasons before going to Atlanta. Art Shell with the Raiders in the late 80s I think was a similar situation, where Al Davis just named him as the new coach when he fired Mike Shanahan and that was it, and he did okay for a few years.

There's also some guys who hung around for a fairly long time, had winning seasons and made the playoffs after being interim coaches, but nobody would regard as more than average at their jobs. Jason Garrett is probably the best recent example, but Wayne Fontes for the Lions would be similar to me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

Settling for your interim coach always works, just ask Freddie Kitchens and Mike Singletary
Doug Marrone too

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mike Mularkey managed to win a playoff game two seasons after being an interim coach and still got fired.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

Mike Mularkey managed to win a playoff game two seasons after being an interim coach and still got fired.

He was a dead man walking long before the Erotic Exotic Smashmouth managed to pull out a hilarious win against Kansas City in the playoffs where Mariota caught a touchdown pass from himself.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

He was a dead man walking long before the Erotic Exotic Smashmouth managed to pull out a hilarious win against Kansas City in the playoffs where Mariota caught a touchdown pass from himself.

The most egregiously incorrect forward progress call happened in this game too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkT_mNU6ecI

Called forward progress so they couldn't even review it to see if he was down before the ball came out or whatever. Still angry.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

Called forward progress so they couldn't even review it to see if he was down before the ball came out or whatever. Still angry.
I never saw this, thats insane. How do you get forward progress when you're back to pass and get hit?!?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

No problem. Just start calling this a win and claim it's actually KC's real record.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

a neat cape posted:

*still employs Ritchie Incognito*

Incognito doesn't have a wife or girlfriend to hit

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

half cocaine posted:

Seahawks subreddit was calling for Ken Norton to be fired in favor of gregggg lol. Seahawks fans are dumb as hell.

To be fair, I'd take Play-Calling-Goldfish or Twitch Plays Seattle Defense over Ken Norton Jr. I've never seen someone throw zone blitzes at such weird moments.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No problem. Just start calling this a win and claim it's actually KC's real record.

I mean, if a KC fan says they actually won that game and the refs screwed them, they aren't wrong.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bowles and Dan Campbell we’re both Dolphins interim head coaches. Any other interims that went onto getting an actual gig elsewhere?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Bowles and Dan Campbell we’re both Dolphins interim head coaches. Any other interims that went onto getting an actual gig elsewhere?

Wade Phillips I guess. Mike Zimmer. Oops Emmitt Thomas got that interim job in Atlanta after the Petrino deal. I'm sure there are tons of examples but I can't figure out how to look it up.

Not NFL related but trying to look up a list somewhere I remembered Dabo Swinney was an interim head coach at Clemson. He's an rear end but it's hard to say hiring him permanently didn't work out.

e: Huh, Wade's been an interim head coach three different times. That's an accomplishment of sorts.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Thinking of Wade and how he was the ultimate "really good coordinator but probably shouldn't be a head coach" made me think of Norv Turner and I'm actually having the hardest time figuring out if he's actually hired or not because the wiki on him just kinda ends on 2019.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Diva Cupcake posted:

Not a lot. I'm assuming that we're excluding guys who had previously been head coaches, like Pat Shurmur had his stint with the Browns before briefly being the interim coach of the Eagles after Chip Kelly was fired and then later getting the Giants job after being an okay OC for the Vikings.

Probably the best example is Bruce Arians, and he's the only one I can think of off hand. He had effectively retired after the Steelers didn't renew his contract after the 2011 season and didn't expect to get another job until Chuck Pagano asked him to be the OC in 2012 with rookie Andrew Luck. Arians became the interim coach when Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia after 3 games, went 9-3 as the coach, and became the first interim coach to get the Coach of the Year award. That season turned him from a reasonably well known and respected coordinator who barely got an interview above that into a hot coaching candidate, and he went to the Cardinals the next season.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Cowboys did Wade Phillips head coach dirty

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Probably Magic posted:

Thinking of Wade and how he was the ultimate "really good coordinator but probably shouldn't be a head coach" made me think of Norv Turner and I'm actually having the hardest time figuring out if he's actually hired or not because the wiki on him just kinda ends on 2019.
I think he handed the reins to his son in 2019, who is still OC for Rivera in DC.

fartknocker posted:

Not a lot. I'm assuming that we're excluding guys who had previously been head coaches, like Pat Shurmur had his stint with the Browns before briefly being the interim coach of the Eagles after Chip Kelly was fired and then later getting the Giants job after being an okay OC for the Vikings.

Probably the best example is Bruce Arians, and he's the only one I can think of off hand. He had effectively retired after the Steelers didn't renew his contract after the 2011 season and didn't expect to get another job until Chuck Pagano asked him to be the OC in 2012 with rookie Andrew Luck. Arians became the interim coach when Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia after 3 games, went 9-3 as the coach, and became the first interim coach to get the Coach of the Year award. That season turned him from a reasonably well known and respected coordinator who barely got an interview above that into a hot coaching candidate, and he went to the Cardinals the next season.
I was so glad that the Colts didnt find a way to keep Arians. Arians was probably happy to get away from Grigson lmao

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Grigson didn’t go nuts until after that season, his first year was okay.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can you please loving fire Flores already? I don't know what else you need to see.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I said I'm sorry Dolphins
I never meant to hurt you
I never meant to make you cry, but tonight
I'm cleaning out my office

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

An exception to the First Year Coach rule should be made for Sirianni's seat, at this point

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kirios posted:

Can you please loving fire Flores already? I don't know what else you need to see.

[one of those pawn stars memes]

"best I can do is trade for a rapist"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Nagy is a failed state

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Benne posted:

Bosnia got better.

Nagy I dunno

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

He was as broken by the Double Doink as the Jets were by the Buttfumble.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Benne posted:

Someone call NATO

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

It’s amazing seeing the contrasting coaching decisions of the two NFC North coaches that were heavy road underdogs. Campbell going as aggressive as possible as early as possible to try and put his team in the best position to win and then Nagy just rolling over and playing dead.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
yeah you gotta put nick sirrachi as a flaming hot seat because he is poo poo awful worse than joe judgement and is obviously just a placeholder for gruden.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1452418062880317444?s=20

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

is there a hotter than spicy hot? And if so, who goes on it, flores or nagy?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

really queer Christmas posted:

Fangio

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
por qué no los tres?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Chris James 2 posted:

An exception to the First Year Coach rule should be made for Sirianni's seat, at this point

:agreed:

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
you cant give the urban meyer jags their first win of the season and then fail a comeback against the worst iteration of the falcons yet with your starting qb back playing his best football to date

never thought i would be saying this but fire flores

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

really queer Christmas posted:

Yes.

Yes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1452432783742230531

That, uh, sure sounds like a coach saying goodbye to his players

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kyle Shanahan is getting dumber by the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

In the first half of Eagles/Raiders game, the Eagles forced a 4th and 4 around midfield, and the Raiders brought their punt unit on the field.

However, there was an offensive holding penalty on the Raiders during the previous play.

Nick Sirianni accepted the penalty. It was now 3rd and 14, and the Raiders offense comes back on the field.

Next play, the Raiders go 30 yards.

After the game, Sirianni said the reasoning was he thought the Raiders were going to go for it on 4th because that's what the Eagles would've done according to his own analytics chart.

The Raiders had their punt unit on the field.

Upgrade that man to mild.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 25, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
lol jfc Sirianni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think he’ll get one more year, probably was brought on with the understanding that this is a rebuild season.

That said, he’s extremely obviously not the guy.