Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
re: Brussels its so much quieter we need that here god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

When I went to Brussels I really liked this cool spot right next to grand place (obv super bougie tho lol)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galeries_Royales_Saint-Hubert

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did my once/week car trip yesterday, but I got like eight things done in one trip so it was worth it. And my like.. once every four months gas fill-up, which involved waiting for other cars to be done, and kind of taking the open spot immediately before the next giant loving escalade could snipe it

I'm going to see if I can keep my driving <150 miles a month, and ideally <100

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hell yeah

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Paris car free days are also great. People cycling, on the streets, living their lives free from fear of being mauled by a privately owned chunk of metal at any moment.

I'm in another city with an almost permanently pedestrianised city center at the moment and it's also really nice. I don't think it's worse for people with disabilities either - there's a lot more space for mobility aids and there is dedicated parking for them, but I suppose it depends on the person.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

pointsofdata posted:

Truly bizarre set of rules. Is it ok to speed after 10pm? Fairly certain the answer is racism, since cops can selectively enforce speeding laws in a way cameras don't.

they’re only allowed in school zones so I assume that’s why but they’re trying to make them 24/7.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I did my once/week car trip yesterday, but I got like eight things done in one trip so it was worth it. And my like.. once every four months gas fill-up, which involved waiting for other cars to be done, and kind of taking the open spot immediately before the next giant loving escalade could snipe it

I'm going to see if I can keep my driving <150 miles a month, and ideally <100

I only drive about once a week, and it's because I can't figure out how to get to the grocery store here without a car. There's actually a small grocery within easy biking distance, but it's for rich people and everything costs double. Such a waste of that space.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

The driver is almost 80. Why are they driving!? I saw a loving crossover going 10MPH under everyone else on the highway, and of course it was a gray hair hunching over their driver wheel trying to see the road ahead. Real cool. Love that we don’t test these people.

DMV posted:

Californians age 70 and older may continue to renew their driver’s licenses online or by mail through December 31, 2022. Governor Gavin Newsom recently signed legislation to extend this temporary rule.

The gerontocracy is real.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cool

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The gerontocracy is real.

I'm pretty sure Florida just lets you drive forever on whatever license you show up with, probably even if its expired

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I was eating at a restaurant on a patio by a road today and four cars drove by with the loud exhaust that fakes a big engine. one was a lifted truck. it really wasn't loud except for those people, but death to cars and :d2a: anyway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
cities should institute a max decibel limit for vehicles and gradually lower it

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I live in a high rise and it's so loud on my balconyeven though I don't live on a busy street that I never spend time out there despite the balcony being my one reason to choose this place

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

penalty is exile. otherwise people will just pay the fine and keep doin it

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

indigi posted:

this would own

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
WHats the deal w speed limits anyways, like everyone just decided that it's a suggestion and you can go up to 10mph over without getting a ticket

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lil poopendorfer posted:

WHats the deal w speed limits anyways, like everyone just decided that it's a suggestion and you can go up to 10mph over without getting a ticket

you make a road and because you have a fatal case of car-brain, you want it to be nice and straight and clear for drivers, and so you remove every obstacle and now they have the ideal driving environment

except ooops, oh poo poo, now that means that your neighborhood road is basically engineered for high speed driving and no one who lives on the street likes that

so okay, no problemo, just put up a sign saying that you aren't allowed to go 75 mph, even though the road is clearly designed for you to go that fast

except ooops, oh poo poo again, everyone is ignoring the sign because the road clearly tells them to go faster, and to enforce the 25 mph speed limit is basically like entrapment because the visual language of the street is way clearer than the speed limit that is, again, way lower than what you actually built out

so okay, no problemo again, just don't enforce the speed limit. give people a bonus 10 or 15 mph, and now at least the actual speed limit that you're enforcing isn't like a third of the design speed. it's all good, except of course that now everyone is going significantly faster than they should on a neighborhood street, and some people are still doing 50 or 60 and for the most part they get away with it and every now and then someone gets killed or mangled because of it. actually that happens pretty frequently. but at least cars go fast and drivers can go vroom vroom.

in conclusion, death to america

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The cops just make it a speed trap, so it's not like no one wins

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
And they never catch the real assholes anyway!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

indigi posted:

everywhere already has this but it's only on the books as a technicality to be the least-serious infraction that exists, so anything else can be plead down to it with a fine

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

here in dc every year AAA puts out a press release about how speed cameras racked up a million billion tickets and it's so unfair to drivers

except speed cameras cover like .01% of district roads by the foot, so you have to figure that racking up that many tickets with the vast majority of road space completely unmonitored is really indicative of the severity of endemic speeding here. but that's not the way car culture sees it; car culture sees it as an affront to the sacred right of the driver to endanger others

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

UK government posted:

In 2020, under free-flowing traffic conditions, 56% of cars exceeded the speed limit on 30mph roads compared to 53% on motorways and 12% on national speed limit single carriageway roads.
https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...at-britain-2020

What's even the point. However they did find that speed limiters work:

quote:

The low proportion of HGVAs exceeding the speed limit on motorways can be attributed to legislation requiring all HGVs over 3.5 tonnes to be fitted with speed limiters to 56mph.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
It's real lol that every alternate form of electric personal transportation option has to have ridiculously low top speed or power limitations in order to legally operate on a road or footpath

Except cars, they can still exceed the max speed limit by like 80kmh without limitation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The car is good, the penis is evil

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Cars don't belong in cities. Also there should be a federal no-growth line at the current city-limits of every single city in America, no cars within the no-growth line.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Boywhiz88 posted:

And they never catch the real assholes anyway!

speed cameras are basically illegal in california and really do not exist. major metro city cops also dgaf about traffic violations as long as you like don't literally run a red right infront of them but ive also just seen them shake their head and ignore it so lol. the amount of traffic violations my city has actually cited is basically zero. just immense parking enforcement because that's where the $$ is

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

every stop light should have speed cameras or every driver should be automatically fined periodically just in case

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

every stop light should have speed cameras or every driver should be automatically fined periodically just in case

tax cars to death

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

paris to further embrace anarchy and remove more parking!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/10/22/paris-to-become-100-cycling-city-within-four-years-reveals-new-plan/

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I kinda think think these are better since there's less ambiguity

leaving it up to a cop if you broke the law ~enough~ is baddddd

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Cars don't belong in cities. Also there should be a federal no-growth line at the current city-limits of every single city in America, no cars within the no-growth line.

ban parking lots first

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

speed cameras are basically illegal in california and really do not exist. major metro city cops also dgaf about traffic violations as long as you like don't literally run a red right infront of them but ive also just seen them shake their head and ignore it so lol. the amount of traffic violations my city has actually cited is basically zero. just immense parking enforcement because that's where the $$ is

aren't the speeding fines as much or more than parking violation fines?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lil poopendorfer posted:

I kinda think think these are better since there's less ambiguity

leaving it up to a cop if you broke the law ~enough~ is baddddd

simpsons_skin_color_chart.jpg

it's definitely possible to make speed cameras racist (just put them exclusively in minority-majority areas) but I'd imagine it's hard to make them more racist than cops

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

aren't the speeding fines as much or more than parking violation fines?

it's way easier to catch parked cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's way easier to catch parked cars

I figure cops would love the thrill of catching speeders tho, they can pretend they are in ronin or some poo poo

plus there's always the tiny possibility you could use a spike strip which owns

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In Colorado you can ignore the traffic camera tickets forever and nothing bad happens, as they are not legal unless you are served by a cop. It seems to be a sneaky municipal revenue generator for people who are not aware of this.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i took my kid for a walk today, the sidewalks here are so bad. like multiple bumps high enough that you have to lift the stroller up to push it over, and two sections where tree roots have pushed the sidewalk up by like a foot. this is relatively easy for me to navigate even pushing a stroller, but when my wife goes through these areas she has to go into the street to get around. and i can't imagine it's easy for someone in a wheelchair, and even for an older or less abled but ambulatory person i bet these sections are tricky to navigate. we spend huge amounts of money keeping the roads in good condition but the meager pedestrian infrastructure (the sidewalk is also only on one side of one street in this neighborhood, other streets have nothing) is falling apart and unusable for a lot of people lol. death to cars.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i took my kid for a walk today, the sidewalks here are so bad. like multiple bumps high enough that you have to lift the stroller up to push it over, and two sections where tree roots have pushed the sidewalk up by like a foot. this is relatively easy for me to navigate even pushing a stroller, but when my wife goes through these areas she has to go into the street to get around. and i can't imagine it's easy for someone in a wheelchair, and even for an older or less abled but ambulatory person i bet these sections are tricky to navigate. we spend huge amounts of money keeping the roads in good condition but the meager pedestrian infrastructure (the sidewalk is also only on one side of one street in this neighborhood, other streets have nothing) is falling apart and unusable for a lot of people lol. death to cars.

had people on my next door whining about pedestrians on the streets because of our dogshit sidewalks. they would rather blame pedestrians for walking in 'unsafe conditions' rather than slow down or pay attention while driving in a giant metal death machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pointsofdata posted:

simpsons_skin_color_chart.jpg

it's definitely possible to make speed cameras racist (just put them exclusively in minority-majority areas) but I'd imagine it's hard to make them more racist than cops

What simpsons skin color chart