Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can't imagine riding clips on trails in the snow! Looks like a cool ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

Next Tuesday is New Bike Day...

It was Tuesday

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shifting has been super erratic lately. Clicky, and chain dropped off both sides of the cassette at the dh park last weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/z11MjZp.mp4

Hm yeah that'll do it.

Exactly a year after nearly killing myself OTB at my first time at a DH park, I went back last weekend and had a good time, kept things on the ground and built a lot of confidence back. Going back again this Sunday.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

always give your nuts a regular cranking

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

afflictionwisp posted:

It was Tuesday

Nice ride :toot:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If anyone was wondering about TVS after that monster Rampage crash,

quote:

I’ve broken my left and right hip sockets into multiple pieces, a piece off the top of my femur, and a piece of my lower vertebrae. Unfortunately I separated the same shoulder I just healed as well.

Feeling extremely lucky to be able to make a full recovery after that horrible slam.

Wild. If he’s able to make a full recovery after that, that’s a goddamn miracle.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I didn't think I'd see something gnarlier than hardline this year but rampage filled that slot by a lot. Big stuff is cool and all but those dudes are getting mangled.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

If anyone was wondering about TVS after that monster Rampage crash,
Rampage should 100% be liable for HC costs to participants. It's loving insane.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rampage seems like an event where it's just a matter of time until someone dies. It's an amazing spectacle with amazingly skilled riders but the consequences are so high and the pressure to progress and push the envelope are so intense that skill only goes so far.

I hope TVS has the best possible recovery. His injuries make my broken humerus pale in comparison and the last 3 weeks have not been fun time at all. Can't imagine the pain he must be in.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
And what Brage broke collarbone + humerous, Carson Storch broke a collarbone, Lancondaguy broke a collarbone, Cam Zink and whatevery he did to himeself, all crazy poo poo for one event. 1/3 of the invite list leaving with broken bones?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What exactly is the reasoning behind this thing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's an old full suspension bike...?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It was the 90's, things were weird. That is one of the most unredeemably ridiculous bikes of the whole era tbh.

e: also terrifying

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/1996-klein-mantra-pro-now-that-was-a-bike.html

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mashed_penguin posted:

Rampage seems like an event where it's just a matter of time until someone dies. It's an amazing spectacle with amazingly skilled riders but the consequences are so high and the pressure to progress and push the envelope are so intense that skill only goes so far.

I hope TVS has the best possible recovery. His injuries make my broken humerus pale in comparison and the last 3 weeks have not been fun time at all. Can't imagine the pain he must be in.

He's probably on some crazy as poo poo painkillers

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

quote:

For starters, there was the whole URT thing. The problem with a bike that “locks” its suspension when you ride out of the saddle is that you ride out of the saddle whenever you are going downhill. In other words, when you wanted the rear suspension to act like a rear suspension, it was off taking a lunch break somewhere while you were getting your teeth rattled out of your head. It was a poo poo idea.

:eyepop: such a bad idea

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Levitate posted:

He's probably on some crazy as poo poo painkillers

Yah I bet. I was on hydro morphone for the first few days and it wasn't strong enough for the first 24 hrs after surgery. That said I don't want an opiate addiction so it's probably a good thing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Remember the huge canyon gap and the Oakley Sender features from years past?

I wonder if Rampage's evolution from being a "big mountain" event to being a "slopestyle but on holy loving poo poo scary terrain" may actually produce more injuries. TVS' injuries are more "dude got hit by a car" than they are "dude got in a bad bike wreck."

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised. Just the amount of air they take now with those manicured packed dirt landings. They are going way faster than in the older events when the terrain was more natural.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I (very loosely) have (parts of) a mountain bike again. :toot:

Mostly I just wanted to be part of the nicest page number.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
nice.

here's a recent bicycling picture:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mashed_penguin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Just the amount of air they take now with those manicured packed dirt landings. They are going way faster than in the older events when the terrain was more natural.

yeah at this point they should just build actual ramps and have fall pits. It's getting to be like a boxing match that the ref should have called a few rounds ago.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In broken humerus news I had my 2 week post surgery checkup. Everything is healing well and I have significantly more metal in me than before.

I've got all the staples out and no more sling around the house. I'm also doing passive range of motion exercises now. It's very stiff so it's got a long way to go but encouraged by the progress. Pain level is pretty good now too. Also back to my computer toucher job this week so some normality is coming back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks good! I wonder why they use staples instead of sutures.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Kinda wild the healing differences for different injuries and surgery/no surgery, I was in a sling almost full time for 5 weeks but at 6 I'm out of it the majority of the time and back to doing light resistance exercise at an overhead range of motion.

Glad you're healing up, are those plates permanent?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Yes those plates and screws will be there forever. Not worth the trauma removing them. It feels extremely weird walking around without the sling. Like I know my arm isn’t going to fall off but it feels so unsupported.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

drat, that's :black101: as gently caress. GL through the heading process.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I spent a couple of hours today practising jumps which I haven't really done a lot before. I had a coaching session a few weeks ago on it and it really clicked, and now I'm managing to clear most of these jumps here and it absolutely rules. The feeling of clearing jumps one after the other is amazing.

https://streamable.com/u8ck0w

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Can I get a double check if I need a boost or non boost crankarm for the bike? My current crank arms are FC-M5100-1 and the rear spacing is listed 12x148mm BOOST which makes me believe that I should order the FC-M8120-1 Boost 1x12 crankset if I'm upgrading to 12sp.

Is that right or am I missing something?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

paberu posted:

Can I get a double check if I need a boost or non boost crankarm for the bike? My current crank arms are FC-M5100-1 and the rear spacing is listed 12x148mm BOOST which makes me believe that I should order the FC-M8120-1 Boost 1x12 crankset if I'm upgrading to 12sp.

Is that right or am I missing something?

Boost crank for boost hub is correct.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Boost crank for boost hub is correct.

Thank you, put in an order for I'm guessing to arrive some time next year.

Is the HUNT XC Wide wheelset a good option for a wheelset? Looking for something lightweight that doesn't break the bank.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bontrager line comps came on my bike and they are very cheap, have decent and cheap upgradeable hubs and I haven't bent one or had to really true them much (mostly xc riding, no crazy big jumps etc.).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Bontrager line comps came on my bike and they are very cheap, have decent and cheap upgradeable hubs and I haven't bent one or had to really true them much (mostly xc riding, no crazy big jumps etc.).

Agree these are good budget friendly wheels. I did break my rear rim but what can you do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

paberu posted:

Thank you, put in an order for I'm guessing to arrive some time next year.

Is the HUNT XC Wide wheelset a good option for a wheelset? Looking for something lightweight that doesn't break the bank.

ICAN wheels are basically the same thing for way cheaper.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have a two month old Fuel EX 7 with less than 140 miles on it and I brought it in for service after it developed some creaking. They're telling me two bearings have seized and the headset has gotten mud in it. I'm loving dumbfounded. I don't ride in excessively gross conditions and I never power wash my bike.

I'm on the verge of wanting to sell this thing and cut my losses for a more dependable brand.

What bullshit. $150 it's going to cost me to replace bearings after two months.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

me your dad posted:

I have a two month old Fuel EX 7 with less than 140 miles on it and I brought it in for service after it developed some creaking. They're telling me two bearings have seized and the headset has gotten mud in it. I'm loving dumbfounded. I don't ride in excessively gross conditions and I never power wash my bike.

I'm on the verge of wanting to sell this thing and cut my losses for a more dependable brand.

Id go on a limb with this and say its maybe related to some BS no-name brand bearings being used due to some pandemic supply issues. I cant imagine that being the fault of the actual bike design. One thing i would say is that the bearing should be replaced under warranty - I would write Trek an email about it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trek is as reliable as all the other big brands like that.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

me your dad posted:

Interesting, my Fuel EX 8 has developed some creaking as well at around 400 miles. I’ve been ignoring it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mine creaks from there frequently. Easy to get gritty poo poo up in there especially if there's any grease left exposed from service for more poo poo to stick to. Never had a bearing seize though in 2000ish miles. Definitely should be covered by warranty in that mileage.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yXNcm0ytM