Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jerusalem posted:

It's both funny and maddening that the piledriver got banned because the Undertaker gave HHH a stinger with the Tombstone Piledriver, and as a result the only person who could be trusted enough to still use the Tombstone Piledriver from that point on was.... The Undertaker.

Plus the tombstone piledriver is counting on someone to support your weight, a piledriver is making sure your head doesn't stick out past someone's thighs. I know which one I'd rather take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I thought it was banned after Owen/Austin?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sba posted:

I thought it was banned after Owen/Austin?

No the traditional piledriver was used for years after that.

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1452033621846597640

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1452039365744541698

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what a heel turn from the kurtzster

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

a take for when you definitely watched wcw

He's right though. Hall and Nash and Hogan had creative control clauses that ruined a lot of things.

The thing that idiot doesn't understand is that nobody in AEW has creative control clauses in their contract and even if someone like Jericho has that he hasn't used it to protect himself from putting over younger talent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

He's right though. Hall and Nash and Hogan had creative control clauses that ruined a lot of things.

The thing that idiot doesn't understand is that nobody in AEW has creative control clauses in their contract and even if someone like Jericho has that he hasn't used it to protect himself from putting over younger talent.

Hogan very rarely invoked creative control. He did in 94 to prevent losing to Flair and then in 2000 and other than that I don't think he actually used it. In between he used the huge amount of influence he had, from sympathetic bookers to getting in the ears of talent or staff to make sure he got his way. Nash I don't think had creative control in his contract, he just acquired influence and then became the booker. This is all stuff that could happen in AEW but really didn't. What's funny is the Elite got pushed harder once Tony took more creative control!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan very rarely invoked creative control. He did in 94 to prevent losing to Flair and then in 2000 and other than that I don't think he actually used it. In between he used the huge amount of influence he had, from sympathetic bookers to getting in the ears of talent or staff to make sure he got his way. Nash I don't think had creative control in his contract, he just acquired influence and then became the booker. This is all stuff that could happen in AEW but really didn't. What's funny is the Elite got pushed harder once Tony took more creative control!

Nash booked himself into a retirement match and booked himself to lose so that he could ride out his contract and get paid without having to wrestle. Then WCW got mad and tried to make him commentator on Thunder to recoup some of the losses and Nash did nothing but make shoot comments and literally called out this exact IRL situation.

Don't get me wrong here, I love Nash for doing that because I will always champion the working class vs the owners but it hosed over a bunch of angles and took him off TV where he would draw money.

This whole thing is entirely the fault of the people who agreed to give those 3 guys creative control clauses in their contracts. They were already getting paid obscene amounts of money just to lure them away from WWF, they didn't need to be like "also you can veto losses lol".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seams posted:

thank you wwe for convincing people a wrestling move is legit dangerous!

Quite the feat since any kid who likes wrestling figured out how to safely take and give it to their friends just from common sense.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don’t disappoint Kurtz, Satin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

What's funny is the Elite got pushed harder once Tony took more creative control!

Wasn't there conflict between Tony and the Elite in the early days cause the Elite wanted to put other guys over to prove AEW wasn't a vanity promotion and Tony thought the Elite were the stars and should be pushed strong?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rarity posted:

Wasn't there conflict between Tony and the Elite in the early days cause the Elite wanted to put other guys over to prove AEW wasn't a vanity promotion and Tony thought the Elite were the stars and should be pushed strong?

Cody had to basically be talked out of putting Darby over at Fyter Fest 2019.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
If Ryan genuinely felt like he needed a less stressful job, then I honestly don't blame him (nobody should), especially given his living situation acting as a caretaker for Erica's mom. (She has early onset Alzheimer's.) The problem was never with him taking either Fox job, it was how he was acting about them and about the legitimate criticism about the sudden shift in how he was talking about WWE.

That said:

"Exposing secrets is soul crushing at the end of the day imo. [...] I want to lift people up going forward instead."

What soul-crushing secrets was he exposing at ProWrestlingSheet?

I don't have any issue with his actual decisions to take those jobs one bit and never have. (ESPECIALLY given the reasons he deserved to have a much less stressful job.) But why is he out here acting like he was doing sexual misconduct reporting or something similarly weighty and implying that reporters aren't exposing secrets that need to be exposed?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Satin is right, stenography is a hard job because sometimes people talk way faster than you can type.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

This opened up a can of worms, as you can imagine.

quote:

every story I've heard is it was all part of kayfabe (biker gimmicks) on a similar note, which recently got pointed out to me. How many wrestlers or bikers for that matter use the iron cross?

quote:

EVERY symbol used by the Nazis was appropriated from somewhere else. Then after their fall, all of their logos were repurposed by biker gangs with no affiliation or agreement with the Nazis. Yes, Harris did wear a t-shirt with that logo. But he was repping motorcycle culture, not Nazis. The assumption that either Harris twin is associated with racism isn't from their ignorance of history, but from other people's ignorance of history.

quote:

I think we all forget sometimes how fast unfounded rumors can spread in wrestling. As Jim Cornette would say, when you want to spread news, telephone, telegraph, or tell a wrestler.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm happy the Harris twins have renounced fascism.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Extremely normal to highlight the racial makeup of someone’s family completely unprompted.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Extremely normal to highlight the racial makeup of someone’s family completely unprompted.

big Nestor energy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nash booked himself into a retirement match and booked himself to lose so that he could ride out his contract and get paid without having to wrestle. Then WCW got mad and tried to make him commentator on Thunder to recoup some of the losses and Nash did nothing but make shoot comments and literally called out this exact IRL situation.

Don't get me wrong here, I love Nash for doing that because I will always champion the working class vs the owners but it hosed over a bunch of angles and took him off TV where he would draw money.

This whole thing is entirely the fault of the people who agreed to give those 3 guys creative control clauses in their contracts. They were already getting paid obscene amounts of money just to lure them away from WWF, they didn't need to be like "also you can veto losses lol".

But Nash didn't have a creative control clause. He was made the booker. Only Hogan had one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

This opened up a can of worms, as you can imagine.

Happily it's not like outlaw biker culture is infested with Nazi... oh. What's that? It really, really is? Oh. Oh, dear.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

"Exposing secrets is soul crushing at the end of the day imo. [...] I want to lift people up going forward instead."

What soul-crushing secrets was he exposing at ProWrestlingSheet?

well his two sources at PWS were Chyna's scuzzy manager and Ryback, dealing with them all the time would be soul-crushing to me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/FlyerAdam88/status/1452349153749700621?t=qpT_8SKnoCksJ9nfwNpz8Q&s=19

There are people who actually believe this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's why it'd be funny if she went to AEW (though I rather not see that), because all these people who call her the best would immediately turn on her

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

oh poo poo adam there is like Darkstar's posting nemesis

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The note there isnt best in current WWE or best ever in WWE but best in womens wrestling ever. The mountain is Charlotte then Manami Toyota apparently.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Davros1 posted:

That's why it'd be funny if she went to AEW (though I rather not see that), because all these people who call her the best would immediately turn on her

I dunno. If someone is weird enough to be a hardcore Charlotte-fan, I could see them turning on WWE is she left in bad terms.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Vince McMahon is truly a beacon of progress

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1451353567034445834

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

I think we've found it. We've found THE take. This is the Take you find at the top of Mount Take after defeating the Take Monster in the cave beneath the summit. We are witnesses to the final victory of the rear end over the brain.

Pack it in, close the thread, behead it and chuck it in a mass grave after torturing a confession out of it, it's over.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Looks like Mel is doing well

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kennel posted:

I dunno. If someone is weird enough to be a hardcore Charlotte-fan, I could see them turning on WWE is she left in bad terms.

Bryan Danielson left on the best possible terms and said nothing but positive things about his experience since then, and these people still turned on him for being an ungrateful traitor. They have fully bought in to "the brand is the star."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

maruhkati posted:

I think we've found it. We've found THE take. This is the Take you find at the top of Mount Take after defeating the Take Monster in the cave beneath the summit. We are witnesses to the final victory of the rear end over the brain.

Pack it in, close the thread, behead it and chuck it in a mass grave after torturing a confession out of it, it's over.

It's not that unique, the whole point of the Saudis paying for these shows is to make people think that

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure what would be funnier, those Saudi tweets being real or being astro turfed

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm not sure what would be funnier, those Saudi tweets being real or being astro turfed

Funniest option is if it's real but because the user has been convinced by the astro turfing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Benne posted:

Bryan Danielson left on the best possible terms and said nothing but positive things about his experience since then, and these people still turned on him for being an ungrateful traitor. They have fully bought in to "the brand is the star."

There are the takes that Bryan was having better matches in WWE because he was main eventing Mania and AEW can't compete eith that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Renaissance Spam posted:

Funniest option is if it's real but because the user has been convinced by the astro turfing.

No, because that's too much like other, much more dangerous poo poo.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Gaz-L posted:

No, because that's too much like other, much more dangerous poo poo.

Ah you've taken the sob uncontrollably choice to that little issue. I have taken the laugh hysterically path but I nod to you, fellow traveller.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

See, even Charlotte's friends say she's unrecognizable.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

See, sometimes I think about quitting this thread, but this is the poo poo that keeps me coming back.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/qc3ve8/did_anything_ever_happen_with_the_hostage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wrestling has never made any money ever. it has been bleeding for several hundred years, and frankly, im sick of it