Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nah this TV is old at poo poo but don’t wanna buy a newer better one til I move into a new place.

By “just” AirPlay is there something I’m missing out on by ending up with a Roku over an Apple TV?
Well like apps and HomeKit hub and whatever other crap it can do. Streaming apps are probably mostly the same junk across platforms, but I'm guessing the ATV is the fastest box out there so maybe app performance will be smoother or something?

Basically the usual Apple stuff, like ecosystem and nicer experience for the same uses as competing products. Except the interactive/choose your own adventure Netflix videos where they don't support ATV for whatever reason.

So if none of that matters and you just want an AirPlay box, might as well save that chunk of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What's the cheapest Roku that does AirPlay?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

~Coxy posted:

What's the cheapest Roku that does AirPlay?

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Premiere is $45 CAD

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

japtor posted:

So if none of that matters and you just want an AirPlay box, might as well save that chunk of change.
I don’t use any streaming video stuff outside of YouTube, stuff off my phone like Bomb Cyclone and just some files hosted on my PC as a media server so Roku it is then, thanks for the info! :)

When I’ll be looking into home automation stuff it’ll be with my partner who is on Android so I assume Apple TV as a HomeKit hub wouldn’t work so great with her device - I would get the most affordable bet there would be just using cheaper stuff since HomeKit supported devices seem like triple the price, then getting a Raspberry Pi running HomeBridge.

Wheeee posted:

My bedroom TV is a Roku TV with integrated AirPlay and tbh I never use it because the attached Chromecast just works way better.
Do you never find the Chromecast just not being visible to your iPhone like half the time you go to look for it? This doesn’t seem to happen to any other device on my network, including another TV that has the YouTube stuff built in.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do you never find the Chromecast just not being visible to your iPhone like half the time you go to look for it? This doesn’t seem to happen to any other device on my network, including another TV that has the YouTube stuff built in.

Oddly enough it does that more with my Pixel than my iPhone, though not often.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks, turns out the Express also supports it and is cheaper for me to import.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm an Apple TV fan! There are a number of neat Apple integration tricks you can do with it (AirPlay stuff, mostly) but the big selling point to me is the fact that it's a Homekit hub. If you're into smart lights and you want any of your automations to work while you're away from home, you need a Homekit hub, which means an iPad (left at home,) HomePod, or Apple TV. That's what got me to buy my first Apple TV, and it's a rad little box.

Other than that, there's a number of other perks that make it worth the premium to me. It's likely the fastest & smoothest smart TV solution on the market. It has an ethernet port. It syncs with iCloud, and frees you from ever connecting your TV to your wifi. It has a Plex app, so it can interact with your media server. It supports virtually everything in the way of audio and video processing, including Dolby Vision. You can use your phone as a remote and a keyboard. You can turn it on or off via any other Apple device you have, and if you embrace HDMI-CEC, that can extend to controlling your entire home theater system. This can also quite possibly reduce your coffee table remote control loadout down to just one, and it's the best-looking remote control out there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to disable the “do you want to temporarily mute notifications from $app” on the Lock Screen?

It asks me ALL the time and is super annoying. That and “do you want to disable time sensitive notifications?”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apple's terrible handling of their own bug bounty program seems to bear first fruits, because security researchers are getting irate and mulling to just sell their zero days elsewhere. That's sure nice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question: I just got my new iPhone 13 Pro. What’s the best type of case that will allow me to see the back of the phone?

I remember back in the iPhone 4 days, I could get a “bumper” style case that merely wraps around the phone’s edges + a screen protector for the back and for the front. Is that still a worthwhile option?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Question: I just got my new iPhone 13 Pro. What’s the best type of case that will allow me to see the back of the phone?

I remember back in the iPhone 4 days, I could get a “bumper” style case that merely wraps around the phone’s edges + a screen protector for the back and for the front. Is that still a worthwhile option?

I’m sure there are companies that still keep the bumper dream alive but I kinda doubt they’re plentiful or have any kind of reputation. There are companies like dbrand that make skins however, and then you could probably find a company based out of China that sells a bumper on Amazon. I doubt they’d have any worthwhile type of quality though, but when looking for a bumper, I don’t know how much quality there is to be expected.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vegetable posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096HKQK9W

Not exactly what you asked but I’m very happy with this. It’s minimal with enough camera/screen protection + corner bumpers and you can see the back. Fingerprint magnet though! I think they offer another one that is slightly more slim.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just got a new iPhone 13 yesterday and twice today Tap to Wake just stopped working for no reason. Have to restart the phone to get it back going. The option is still enabled in settings, it’s just… not… working.

This is on iOS 15, I see there’s an update to 15.0.2, is this just a bug or what?

I set this phone up as a new phone, there shouldn’t be any weirdness other than what it shipped with.

e: the patch notes for 15.0.2 don’t mention this.

e2: okay seeing a thread with lots of people with this problem on a different website. Ugh.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 24, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Have you tried actually updating instead of just reading the patch notes?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Just got a new iPhone 13 yesterday and twice today Tap to Wake just stopped working for no reason. Have to restart the phone to get it back going. The option is still enabled in settings, it’s just… not… working.

This is on iOS 15, I see there’s an update to 15.0.2, is this just a bug or what?

I set this phone up as a new phone, there shouldn’t be any weirdness other than what it shipped with.

e: the patch notes for 15.0.2 don’t mention this.

e2: okay seeing a thread with lots of people with this problem on a different website. Ugh.

They unfortunately don't list every single bug fix in the patch notes yet minor bugs will still get fixed with them anyway. I remember people saying 15.0.1 or 15.0.2 fixed this, not sure which.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FCKGW posted:

Have you tried actually updating instead of just reading the patch notes?

Naw, I thought about it but instead I just wrote the patch notes down on a scrap of real life paper and then chewed and swallowed them into my tummy. Will report back as to the efficacy.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They unfortunately don't list every single bug fix in the patch notes yet minor bugs will still get fixed with them anyway. I remember people saying 15.0.1 or 15.0.2 fixed this, not sure which.

Cool, thanks, I just got it installed, but yeah most every other post I’m seeing about this seems to be from a few weeks ago, so one of the two must have fixed it.

Sucks to be Googling problems and there’s five poorly written listicle suggestions where the answer is to turn it off and on again when the issue pops up again.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My 13 pro was doing that. 15.0.1 seemed to fix it for me though. I think 15.1 comes out this week which probably has more bug fixes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone have experience with a non-Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone adapter? The Apple one works fine but seems fragile, they break pretty quick. Looking to try a different brand.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Check out Meizu and Tempotec, may have to order from aliexpress

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

RhinoShield makes one, but it's noticeably fat. Otherwise it's solid and their stuff has done well in tests, and customizable if you want to tweak button or rim colors (or even swap in a full back). There's a few random/generic ones around but reviews are all over the place with them i think.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
iPhone 13pro trip report:

The low light camera performance on the 13 pro is noticeably better than the camera on the 12 imho.

Also the promotion display was noticeable at first but my eyes have gotten used to it. I feel like I would probably notice the difference more if I went back to using my iPhone 11 all of a sudden...

I got the black leather case with the phone and I've found that the phone itself feels really slippery in the hand when I'm rocking it caseless. For sure the leather case makes it easier for me to grip the thing and makes me feel more confident about not dropping it.

Also here's an obligatory cat photo I took with the 3x telephoto camera on the 13 Pro.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

CerealKilla420 posted:

Also the promotion display was noticeable at first but my eyes have gotten used to it. I feel like I would probably notice the difference more if I went back to using my iPhone 11 all of a sudden...

High refresh rate is like HD video or high quality audio: You had no idea what you were missing before you experienced it, you get used to it and it becomes normal extremely quickly, and now every time you go back to lower quality that used to be normal it’s torturous.

I think there’s a nugget of wisdom in the attitude of not giving a poo poo about these things.

quote:

Also here's an obligatory cat photo I took with the 3x telephoto camera on the 13 Pro.

Beautiful :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the image processing on the 13 pro, my wife got one and the cat pictures she sends me feels like the sharpening is cranked way too high. I thought maybe she was messing with sliders but I see it in this photo too, the edges are super crunchy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the image processing on the 13 pro, my wife got one and the cat pictures she sends me feels like the sharpening is cranked way too high. I thought maybe she was messing with sliders but I see it in this photo too, the edges are super crunchy.
Our of curiosity, does she have the photographic style set to something other than classic? 13P has been great for me:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 24, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
15.1 out!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yeah everything just dropped earlier. MacOS, WatchOS, iOS and all the flavors of that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How do I add my COVID vaccination status to Wallet.app? I'm guessing my state's app that contains my vax info needs to be updated to support 15.1?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

How do I add my COVID vaccination status to Wallet.app? I'm guessing my state's app that contains my vax info needs to be updated to support 15.1?

If you figure it out clue me in because I got stuck and gave up. I'm guessing if you live in a state that's implemented smart health cards it'll pop up in health.app. I don't, so I think I don't have access to it.

But I found some posts that claim if you got your vaccine through walgreens it can be used, I just can't figure out how.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Wish this thread was dedicated to this pic and this pic alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm guessing your provider/state needs to update their system to allow it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xzzy posted:

If you figure it out clue me in because I got stuck and gave up. I'm guessing if you live in a state that's implemented smart health cards it'll pop up in health.app. I don't, so I think I don't have access to it.

But I found some posts that claim if you got your vaccine through walgreens it can be used, I just can't figure out how.
My state has SMART health cards, and I added my vax info to Health.app a while back, but I'm in Health.app and I see my vax info but nowhere to add to Wallet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, at least Settings > General > About > Available is showing me a much more realistic amount of free space, much improved over the previous iOS 15 iterations that seemed to give me a number that was my iCloud quota + free space on my phone, very confusing..

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have a Roku TV and an Apple TV and the Roku TV is soooo slowwww in comparison.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 12 keeps defaulting the volume to maximum.

It's not accidental button pushes because occasionally the volume bar pops up and reverts from 10-20% up to 100% and then goes away, and sometimes comes back and goes down again while I'm using the phone and not touching the buttons.

I have ringer at full volume and change with buttons is disabled so it's not related to that.

Anyone else?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Laserface posted:

My 12 keeps defaulting the volume to maximum.

It's not accidental button pushes because occasionally the volume bar pops up and reverts from 10-20% up to 100% and then goes away, and sometimes comes back and goes down again while I'm using the phone and not touching the buttons.

I have ringer at full volume and change with buttons is disabled so it's not related to that.

Anyone else?
Main thing I can think of is something like bluetooth audio devices randomly connecting, cause it'll set audio per device (or type of output?). Like I have a bluetooth dongle in my car, and if I leave it plugged in it can connect from a decent distance beyond my garage, and my volume will be at 100% while connected.

Speaking of volume woes (kinda), I use the audio routing -> speaker option for calls (cause my car's messed up setup). Should be fine cause I can just tap speaker off quick enough during normal use, except it tends to turn back on right as I put the phone to my ear. It's almost like there's an auto VOX (voice activation) thing that's like "gently caress you, you wanted speaker!" Noticed it when I called a place, turned speaker off while ringing, then it turned back on when the person answered :wtc:. When I answer calls it's like whack a mole waiting to turn the speaker off a second time after answering.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's only when I have nothing connected to my phone. And you're right it remembers each devices volume, but I'm opening Instagram and playing a video and it comes thru at full volume when I know for sure I set it low previously. I've only caught it a few times while using my phone but it's been happening before 15.0.1

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laserface posted:

It's only when I have nothing connected to my phone. And you're right it remembers each devices volume, but I'm opening Instagram and playing a video and it comes thru at full volume when I know for sure I set it low previously. I've only caught it a few times while using my phone but it's been happening before 15.0.1

Huh. Yeah, since 15 I've had a bunch of times when I found my volume at the max when it really shouldn't have been. I thought I was just being forgetful.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
In iOS14 I had a nice shortcut that would quickly email myself from the share sheet, something that I do a lot for various reason each day. This worked fast and simple. Since ios15 it is much slower, takes about ten seconds (yes, first world problems) rather than instant. I had to approve some permissions for the shortcut after the upgrade, but not sure why this process is taking much longer. Did something else change that I should consider looking at to regain the speed or is this the way things are for a fundamental reason now?

Thanks!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

In iOS14 I had a nice shortcut that would quickly email myself from the share sheet, something that I do a lot for various reason each day. This worked fast and simple. Since ios15 it is much slower, takes about ten seconds (yes, first world problems) rather than instant. I had to approve some permissions for the shortcut after the upgrade, but not sure why this process is taking much longer. Did something else change that I should consider looking at to regain the speed or is this the way things are for a fundamental reason now?

Thanks!

Have you updated to 15.1? I hear that helps with some of the shortcut issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Figured out the vaccination card thing, for CA at least. Had a screenshot in Notes, saw the live text button in the corner, and the QR code was highlighted as well as the text. Tapped the QR code and asked to open in Health, with add to wallet in there iirc.

Laserface posted:

Got any automation/shortcut things? Trying to think of what else could do it, besides like a bad/tight case pushing the buttons or something.

TraderStav posted:

shortcuts issues
Slow in the shortcut app when you test it or only during actual use? Not sure it makes a difference but might as well try force quitting the Shortcuts app and/or restarting the phone. I recently had a background automation that wasn’t working until I did that.