Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Teamkilling in Rust has been going on for a while now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

#LockHimUp

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

no i don't. i think he hosed up here, but not criminally.

Yes you've made sure this opinion hasn't had the chance to escape anyone's attention over the life span of the thread. Bizarrely enough people still have differing opinions, but keep pushing yours since obviously this is a a matter of who repeats theirs the most.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It really seems like this was ultimately the armorer's fault but everyone hates the AD for being a shithead and he was the last one to touch it so he's getting the business, too. Realistically though is he actually trained to recognize a safe weapon or is his job just to relate what the armorer tells him? Seems to be a lot of grudge settling going on but nobody has come up with a good reason why actual bullets were there to begin with and that's totally on the armorer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

It really seems like this was ultimately the armorer's fault but everyone hates the AD for being a shithead and he was the last one to touch it so he's getting the business, too. Realistically though is he actually trained to recognize a safe weapon or is his job just to relate what the armorer tells him? Seems to be a lot of grudge settling going on but nobody has come up with a good reason why actual bullets were there to begin with and that's totally on the armorer.

The AD should never have touched the gun under any circumstances or said anything about it being safe.

He was just impatient and wanted to film the scene asap instead of waiting for the propmaster.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

E: me dumb can't read

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

brugroffil posted:

There's a reason why in some industries there are strict limits on the number of hours you can work in a day, week, or month.

sorry I didn't mean to imply fatigue's not a real safety issue or anything, I was just asking specifically about the walkout being about guns in particular because it kept being referred to that way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

what's that poo poo I said about OSHA rolling poo poo uphill earlier?

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

The AD should never have touched the gun under any circumstances or said anything about it being safe.

He was just impatient and wanted to film the scene asap instead of waiting for the propmaster.

It sounds like from all the info being presented and the 911 call, etc. that there is actually supposed to be some sort of role for the AD in this situation? Like last point of failure or something?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Wizard Master posted:

This isn’t 2004-edgelord GBS guys

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Quick to rebound, Alec is already preparing to play a helicopter pilot specializing in entertaining children's birthday parties.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

nvidiagouge posted:

It sounds like from all the info being presented and the 911 call, etc. that there is actually supposed to be some sort of role for the AD in this situation? Like last point of failure or something?

Yep. Lots of comments from professionals on social media saying that the AD would usually be the last person to touch the gun before handing it to the actor.

The AD is supposed to check the gun themselves, though, and not just assume it's safe. This particular AD had a reputation for being flippant about safety requirements.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
My uncle works for Hollywood and he says they're going to use the fatal take in the final film for the "genuine" reactions. You can't fake this!

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lolie posted:

Yep. Lots of comments from professionals on social media saying that the AD would usually be the last person to touch the gun before handing it to the actor.

The AD is supposed to check the gun themselves, though, and not just assume it's safe. This particular AD had a reputation for being flippant about safety requirements.

I wonder what actual level of standardized firearms training ADs are given for this. Just look for any sort of ammo at all? How to recognize blanks vs. bullets?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Worst wizard ever

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

For all his posturing Alec Baldwin is 100% the type of guy to have armed guards at his house and a saferoom full of short-barrel ARs.

Big Beef City posted:

Well according to one poster, one of those aspects was literally that as 'co-writer of the script' that made him more responsible. So. Pretty heavy stuff.

Producer, lead, and co-writer.

To be sure, its not that non-union labor was responsible for making these huge missteps in protocol. However, the idea that they would go on ahead when people were walking off the set in part for safety concerns around firearms handling doesn't really pass the sniff test. Basically a group of people said "we aren't going to work here anymore because there is this machine that explodes and fires hot bits of metal everywhere, and nobody here seems qualified to use it".

Production said, "Okay fine leave now or ill call the cops, now pass me the machine that explodes and fires hot bits of metal everywhere, bitch".

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Big Beef City posted:

We don't actually know that, though, that's the thing. With larger stars on smaller sets, often times the only times they are there is when they're they are there to rehearse or shoot scenes, not talk shop around people all day. I don't know what the situation was here, but neither do you.

Look, I'm not trying to be #1 Alec Baldwin Fan Guy over here and frankly I don't know wtf actually happened, but your posts are bloodthirsty and weird.

This is from a few pages back but I was actually on set and after Alec's incident he slowly pivoted towards me and the next thing I know the gun is halfway down my throat and he says "If you tell anyone about the Baldwin Blood Curse and what happened today I will give you a 50 caliber enema" then he patted me on the shoulder leaving a huge bloodstain on my shirt

So I can vouch

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I witnessed this and can corroborate it

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Robo Reagan posted:

remember how in action movies up to the mid 2000s everyone kept fingers on the trigger always? wonder how many misfires your average movie had

I'm also curious how often film crews walk off the set to protest working conditions. Is it completely unheard of? I know gently caress all about the movie industry, but I sincerely doubt we would have heard of this particular protest if Alec "Insatiable Death Lust" Baldwin hadn't murdered someone in cold blood.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
So when will the movie be out? It may be short, but I hear it goes out with a bang or two.

I respect all the good prop masters and all, but I don't find it tolerable that the whole industry has somehow rationalized that there is a proud tradition of using clumsily modified and potentially deadly real weapons when making movies. I'm sure nothing can go wrong if it's supervised by capable people, but the counterincentives are just too strong and the oversight to weak. I would outlaw it.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

For all his posturing Alec Baldwin is 100% the type of guy to have armed guards at his house and a saferoom full of short-barrel ARs.

Producer, lead, and co-writer.

To be sure, its not that non-union labor was responsible for making these huge missteps in protocol. However, the idea that they would go on ahead when people were walking off the set in part for safety concerns around firearms handling doesn't really pass the sniff test. Basically a group of people said "we aren't going to work here anymore because there is this machine that explodes and fires hot bits of metal everywhere, and nobody here seems qualified to use it".

Production said, "Okay fine leave now or ill call the cops, now pass me the machine that explodes and fires hot bits of metal everywhere, bitch".

He seems more like a FN FAL guy to me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Songbearer posted:

This is from a few pages back but I was actually on set and after Alec's incident he slowly pivoted towards me and the next thing I know the gun is halfway down my throat and he says "If you tell anyone about the Baldwin Blood Curse and what happened today I will give you a 50 caliber enema" then he patted me on the shoulder leaving a huge bloodstain on my shirt

So I can vouch

All lies. At the time of the event I personally eyewitnessed him Jack the rippering things up in london, as per his usually per his blood lust dictates. All this other stuff is just the typical made up anti-baldwin bigotry and I won't have it.

Shame on you goons for falling for it. I expect better from you all. :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I worked in the movies(all of them) and one time at the cafeteria Alec Baldwin ordered a plate of spiders,everybody laughed,but he just stared at them.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I get the distinct impression that this was never going to be a major theatrical release anyway, even if someone hadn't been killed... probably one of those things that goes straight to streaming/Redbox. Maybe not to the level of the "geezer teasers" where they hire a '90s action star to show up for like 5 minutes, but definitely the kind of thing where I'd see it listed and think, "huh, Alec Baldwin was in a western just recently? I never heard about this."

I can only agree with punishedkissinger and others that there has to be some level of responsibility here. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like there's been a trend for a while of lead actors taking a producer credit, whether they're really handling management duties or not... I guess to get a bigger cut of what might be a smaller pie? I doubt this tragedy will do anything to reverse that, but maybe it will get big names to give more of a drat about the crew if they're getting top billing on the business side too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

dr_rat posted:

All lies. At the time of the event I personally eyewitnessed him Jack the rippering things up in london, as per his usually per his blood lust dictates. All this other stuff is just the typical made up anti-baldwin bigotry and I won't have it.

Shame on you goons for falling for it. I expect better from you all. :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I worked in the movies(all of them) and one time at the cafeteria Alec Baldwin ordered a plate of spiders,everybody laughed,but he just stared at them.

I suppose the thing that tipped me off about his more bloodthirsty habits was that instead of a trailer he insisted on bringing his own special tent that appeared to be made from blood eagled set assistants. It was a bastard to set up but on the bright side there was plenty of material for all of us to have one of our own by the end of the shoot

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't want to brag, but I have some experience with watching detective shows on tv(for example, Scherlock Homes, you might have heard about him? Colombo is another famous one ). And to me all of this looks like the gun guy on set orchestrated the whole thing to kill the camera women and make it look like an accident. They probably had an affair, which she threatened to disclose to his wife or they are half-siblings and he wanted to get a coheir out of the way. I hope the police is looking into this.

I don't know if it was deliberate, but the fact that the armorer was a woman really sells this post.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Less firing guns in films, more pistol whipping

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Interesting how Hunter Biden is nowhere to be seen throughout all of this :thunk:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Snowy posted:

Less firing guns in films, more pistol whipping

So, before John Hamm hit it big on Mad Men, he was in this cop show on Lifetime called The Division. Apparently, it was so low budget that (despite being a cop show) over four full seasons and 80+ episode they never fired their guns. The show couldn't afford the cost of having an armorer or doing the gunfire effects, so they just never wrote any gunshots into the script. The cops would sometimes pull their guns on a perp, and I think once or twice they pistol-whipped someone, but that was it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

LanceHunter posted:

So, before John Hamm hit it big on Mad Men, he was in this cop show on Lifetime called The Division. Apparently, it was so low budget that (despite being a cop show) over four full seasons and 80+ episode they never fired their guns. The show couldn't afford the cost of having an armorer or doing the gunfire effects, so they just never wrote any gunshots into the script. The cops would sometimes pull their guns on a perp, and I think once or twice they pistol-whipped someone, but that was it.

Sounds like a model police department

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Quick to rebound, Alec is already preparing to play a helicopter pilot specializing in entertaining children's birthday parties.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Alec Baldwin should be thrown in Alcatraz for no other reason than I'm jealous of how much money he has.

gently caress scabs.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
After a certain amount of money it becomes nothing but a number, an abstraction with no real grounding in reality. Its one and only purpose is to go up.

For Alec, this applies to his kill count

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

nvidiagouge posted:

I wonder what actual level of standardized firearms training ADs are given for this. Just look for any sort of ammo at all? How to recognize blanks vs. bullets?

From the film industry twitters that got linked, the AD is supposed to unload and reload the gun, checking every bullet, immediately before handing it to the actors.

Blank (hot) rounds visibly lack the bullet. Cold rounds are missing the primer, and they put little balls inside that rattle when they shake one. The AD skipped the check, and hosed up hugely.

The armorer here is responsible for providing the ammo and never putting real bullets in the movie guns, she hosed up hugely also.

The actors have no responsibility for any check, they just do what they are told and trust that multiple levels of safety make it impossible for a cold gun to fire. Oops. However a good crew does the gun check in sight of the actors to reassure them, so at the very least they were aware this was not a good crew.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Gun people and film people both act like they know everything so this is a dangerous combination

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

One of the things I like about the first two thirds of the original Law and Order is that they never actually shot their guns. It made the stories focus on detective work and courtroom stuff instead of police gunfights, which made things way more interesting. The few times any of the main cast fired a gun it was offscreen, and it would be a huge deal with like an investigation afterwards that spanned the entire episode.

Then in the later seasons they decided to build drama by getting into gunfights with perps instead of with decent writing. From what I hear in the more recent spinoffs people have huge bodycounts and it's treated as no big thing, which seems to track with how militarized police became increasingly common after 9/11.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't believe that we have let Alex Baldwin murder AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Any day when Alec Mad Dog Baldwin doesn't kill people with a huge minigun I get a little uneasy. Like the world is slightly off-kilter