Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its a small place york, stay there long enough and you'll know someone whose lost someone to the river, weird really.

Yeah, everyone I met there had a story of someone who at least had got in trouble in the river - I'm not sure if it has some weird currents or something or just that it's so near so many decent pubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

therattle posted:

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands

That is a disgrace

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, everyone I met there had a story of someone who at least had got in trouble in the river - I'm not sure if it has some weird currents or something or just that it's so near so many decent pubs.

Yates' wine lodge crew represent

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What do you think is better (for us in this thread) - the queen suddenly corks it without warning or she gets ill and everyone has a few days to brace themselves?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you wont get to brace until after cos they're weird about it. Probably cos we're weird about it. so... neither.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there is a run up we can probably get more posting out of it. The anticipation is half the fun.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This popped up on my radar earlier - the last people she met before she definitely didn't catch Covid.

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1450911257024937990

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In keeping with the thread theme, Police deflate potentially vulnerable woman's flotation aid in notorious drowning hotspot.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

This popped up on my radar earlier - the last people she met before she definitely didn't catch Covid.

Its probably their servants school children that will do for them

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a combination of pubs being close to the river and also currents being strong and weird because it's the confluence of the Ouse and the Foss. Also I think the river beds are mostly oozy mud so people go under and get stuck in until they drown.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Ouse is the only river to run from Sussex all the way to Orkney via the Fens and York.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's a combination of pubs being close to the river and also currents being strong and weird because it's the confluence of the Ouse and the Foss. Also I think the river beds are mostly oozy mud so people go under and get stuck in until they drown.

the rivers dont meet until well passed the centre of town though? I dunno though, no fluid mechanics expert. Theres a plaque to a mate outside the kings arms. Sadly, he was young and drunk.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The Ouse is the only river to run from Sussex all the way to Orkney via the Fens and York.

you can see how people misguage the undercurrents

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What do you think is better (for us in this thread) - the queen suddenly corks it without warning or she gets ill and everyone has a few days to brace themselves?

I'm still wondering how many extra bank holidays do we get out of it. Do we get one for the funeral, the coronation, or both? Does Rishi pull a fast one by holding the funeral and coronation on the same day? Do we get a bonus lockdown if she tests Covid-positive?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the rivers dont meet until well passed the centre of town though? I dunno though, no fluid mechanics expert. Theres a plaque to a mate outside the kings arms. Sadly, he was young and drunk.

Yeah I guess it still has an effect on the currents upstream. Also I'm mostly going off something I was told in a pub by a fireman (I think) who had experience of trying to rescue people out of rivers in York.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands to use as manure. It contains human waste. Using it as manure is illegal in the EU.
due to a mix up at the outgoing distribution centre, dutch authorities have issued a clarification that the black sludge is for facial use only

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be so happy to meet an irl Jojo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Here’s hoping they all catch the rona (again) and gently caress off to hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm still wondering how many extra bank holidays do we get out of it. Do we get one for the funeral, the coronation, or both? Does Rishi pull a fast one by holding the funeral and coronation on the same day? Do we get a bonus lockdown if she tests Covid-positive?

I posted this last month - spoiler: you get zero holidays lmao

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1433713771172802574?t=sgsunpgzbhvGfw_cHC45rA&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

I'd be so happy to meet an irl Jojo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

due to a mix up at the outgoing distribution centre, dutch authorities have issued a clarification that the black sludge is for facial use only

Is it Xmas already?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've a lot of friends who are struggling to find PA's at the moment. I guess the situation isn't going to be getting any better in the foreseeable future.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1452004008533667849

Mebh
May 10, 2010

therattle posted:

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands to use as manure. It contains human waste. Using it as manure is illegal in the EU.

Jesus loving christ what...

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/44357/20200904/30-000-tons-sewage-sludge-netherlands-uk.htm

I... What.

How the gently caress do we even avoid that? I don't want carrots grown in Dutch poo. Or any poo. Christ.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Is it Xmas already?

One of my fave seasonal activities is slagging my Dutch sisterinlaw about zwaarte Piet and the lads. Probably 30% of that country are volkisch gammons who will defend blacking up til they die

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mebh posted:

Jesus loving christ what...

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/44357/20200904/30-000-tons-sewage-sludge-netherlands-uk.htm

I... What.

How the gently caress do we even avoid that? I don't want carrots grown in Dutch poo. Or any poo. Christ.

What's wrong with British poo? I have poo. Can I sell my poo?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

PM me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

thread's full of it so low resale value

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

One of my fave seasonal activities is slagging my Dutch sisterinlaw about zwaarte Piet and the lads. Probably 30% of that country are volkisch gammons who will defend blacking up til they die

Having lived there and being presented with the HR team on day one in full on blackface parading about at work, wow does calling them out on it cause some loving gammon behaviour. "it's just soot from the chimneys, it's tradition" they scream as they backpedal and in the same breath slag off immigrants. Most racist country I've ever lived in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how you can tell the good morris dancers from the bad ones by which ones went "it's tradition! we've painted our faces since forever! of course it was probably traditionally woad or something originally. and there's lots of colours now that aren't racially derogatory. who fancies green, lads?" and which ones stopped halfway through that process.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

mr bean was right to headbutt her that time imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the plus side the UK is probably the safest place to export their poo to because we already have that particular prion disease endemic to the isles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I like how you can tell the good morris dancers from the bad ones by which ones went "it's tradition! we've painted our faces since forever! of course it was probably traditionally woad or something originally. and there's lots of colours now that aren't racially derogatory. who fancies green, lads?" and which ones stopped halfway through that process.

eurghhh... i havent got the energy to judge the good morris dancers from the bad

I didnt know it would come down to this

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

fuctifino posted:

I owe learnincurve an apology for my prior blowout. I read something in their post that wasn't there and saw red... I deserved my 6-er, but LC also deserves a public apology. Sorry. x

We made this for you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubeex-ksV4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If a Dutch person eats some edibles, can we smoke their poo to get high?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Have a snory dreamy bowcat in return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RoHs5MX5GM

Mebh
May 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

If a Dutch person eats some edibles, can we smoke their poo to get high?

I don't think even fuctifino's ultrabong could help with that.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I guess it still has an effect on the currents upstream. Also I'm mostly going off something I was told in a pub by a fireman (I think) who had experience of trying to rescue people out of rivers in York.

It's mainly that the river ouse is in a giant concrete lined channel with a fast current and few places to get out. The foss has negligible flow except for christmas 2015 when it turned into the thames.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

It's mainly that the river ouse is in a giant concrete lined channel with a fast current and few places to get out. The foss has negligible flow except for christmas 2015 when it turned into the thames.

I'm not sure theres anyone thats died in that river, in recent years, that wasn't drunk or done over.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Now you lot have me reading papers on cannabinoids and wastewater processing. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412019337055

Though tbf nearly no Dutch people I knew used weed. It's almost like legalisation doesn't cause an explosion of use.

Though the whole country doesn't really believe in preventative medicine either sooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If the Queen died of COVID, there’s no way they’d publicly admit that, right? Because that would sort of mean the government killed her.