Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

So, Gigabyte of keyboards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I mean, Keychron boards are super cheap in price. Like shockingly cheap for what you can do with them. I’ve been happy with my C1 and K7, deliveries on both were quick and efficient, but I haven’t experienced any issues yet to have to deal with their customer service.

That being said, you will get what you pay for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Blinkz0rz posted:

I had an issue where the ctrl key on my Kickstarter K3 died and they required a video and a ton of back and forth to even acknowledge that it was an issue. I had to basically threaten to drag them on social media for them to try to fix the issue and ship me a working one. I volunteered to send the old one back but :shrug:

Keychron: decent if you never have to talk to anyone there

Yeah their support is pretty abysmal. Luckily I was able to find a replacement bluetooth switch for my K8 on digikey with little effort so I didn't have to rely on them. I already had it fixed before they even replied to me initially and thy ghosted me immediately after their first response acknowledging that they had received my email.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

They're not the only budget name in the game anymore and nobody else seems to have trouble standing behind their product, so "you will get what you pay for" is a little snooty and definitely zero excuse for this kind of anti-customer behavior imo.

Anyway, please join me in fervently wishing that the Plum/NiZ 82 comes back in stock on Amazon before my current keeb return window runs out :pray:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I've been waiting for the K10 to come back in stock, but with all these comments on Keychron's lovely service maybe someone will know of an alternative.

I'm looking for something that is:
- Full-sized
- Both wireless and wired capable (preferably with multiple paired devices for the wireless mode)
- Hot-swappable

As far as the size goes, I'm willing to compromise and get one of the layouts where the numpad is squished together with the rest of the board, but I need a numpad of some sort. I could also live without it being hot-swappable but it would need to be available with some good blue switches.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm in the same boat as i vomit kittens, but I'd be fine with TKL and wired. Hot-swap and a row of function keys is my bare minimum, really. The GMMK Pro is both pricy and a bit weird-looking to my eyes, but is it really the "budget" go-to for those features now?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Mechmap has a decent list broken up by size, though you'll have to dig in to each one to get a full feature list. As a general rule the bigger the size the fewer the wireless options: https://www.mechmap.tech/themap

There's also Thocstock, though it's mostly hobby-level boards that are typically more expensive: https://thocstock.com/keyboards

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Unsinkabear posted:

They're not the only budget name in the game anymore and nobody else seems to have trouble standing behind their product, so "you will get what you pay for" is a little snooty and definitely zero excuse for this kind of anti-customer behavior imo.

For wireless they pretty much are still the only name in the game. That's presumably why they believe they can get away with actively hostile customer service as a way of saving costs. Eventually technology will sufficiently catch up to give them competition in that market, and then they likely will swiftly be driven out of business.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I wonder if it makes a difference whether you order your Keychron keyboards from the Kickstarter campaign when they’re brand new, vs ordering from their webstore. My Kickstarter experience was really good, but it’s the only thing I’ve ever backed there.

When I was doing the shopping that eventually lead to my Keychron K2 purchase all the alternatives were a bit more expensive, came from shady looking websites, and/or had insane shipping costs to Canada.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

For wireless they pretty much are still the only name in the game. That's presumably why they believe they can get away with actively hostile customer service as a way of saving costs. Eventually technology will sufficiently catch up to give them competition in that market, and then they likely will swiftly be driven out of business.

I'm typing this on a non-Keychron keyboard with a slightly cheaper price, similar feature list, has bluetooth, and 2.4ghz. I always use the latter so I can't comment on the stability of the former, but it exists and I doubt it's worse enough to be worth the hassle. It would be one thing if the rest of the Keychron boards was superb, but people complain about the QA too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Do you mean a mechanical keyboard? If so please share, your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

FWIW I had no complaints about the build quality of the K2 I bought, it seemed very good for $70 to me.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you mean a mechanical keyboard? If so please share, your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

FWIW I had no complaints about the build quality of the K2 I bought, it seemed very good for $70 to me.

I have no ideas, only dumb questions.

Yes mechanical, it's this one. Ignore the terrible photos, they look much better in person. But it does have PWM at high brightness settings though, so I have to keep the RGB turned down to a pretty subtle level. Switches are unlisted but I think they're Kailh? No idea how it compares to a Keychron from an enthusiast eye, it's just what i was told to get instead and my pleb fingers like it so far. I got the impression from YouTube that there were other budget names as well and Keychron was on the wait out as you predicted, but maybe not?

I'm happy to give the bluetooth a test since there seem to be a lot of people itt who care about that.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello, got a Ducky one 2 TKL skyline (no lights) today and I am very happy with it as it is my first mechanical keyboard. I have two questions:

1. I cannot seem to record more than two macros for windows hotkeys: I assign mute to FN+m, then I assign "louder" to FN+o and when I try to assign the third macro "volume down" to FN+k no macro work anymore. I also noticed that setting them up is somewhat finnicky: Sometimes it would not work and sometimes the volume would keep getting higher. Is that normal? Do I need to fiddle with dip-switches or something? I am not really interested in any other macros except maybe for the one to bring the calculator.

2. Firmware update does not work. Downloaded a .rar file from the website, extracted it, renamed the .ex to an .exe and it told me the firmware on the keyboard was higher than what the software provided, even though before that it indicated it was older in the info-box. What is that about?

Other than that it looks great and works even better (brown switches). Typing on it is a joy. Thank you for considering my questions.

e: This guy seems to have the same problem so I guess it may be the keyboard.

e2: It looks like it only remembers the last macro. Doing the above and FN+c for calculator brings up the calculator on FN+O and others. Weird.

e3: Another guy also had the these problems a year ago. Wish I could update the firmware. I thought this was a respectable company. Oh well. Nevermind then.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 19, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Are there any thread favorite desk mats? Maybe some cuteness or color on a budget?

My current Cookie Cat mousepad is starting to get gross and feels like it's always bumping up against my keyboard, so I think it's time to upgrade. But everything else on my desk is dark/black hardware so if I do a full-size black mat (which most of the basic ones seem to be) it's going to start feeling a little grim over here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I really like my Alpha Keycaps deskmat.
https://alphakeycaps.com/deskmat

Cannonkeys manu for deskmats is good, and they have some in stock right now
https://cannonkeys.com/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Are there any thread favorite desk mats? Maybe some cuteness or color on a budget?

My current Cookie Cat mousepad is starting to get gross and feels like it's always bumping up against my keyboard, so I think it's time to upgrade. But everything else on my desk is dark/black hardware so if I do a full-size black mat (which most of the basic ones seem to be) it's going to start feeling a little grim over here.

also check out the small twitch streamer builders, they usually have discounts and their own sick desk mats being run by the bigger companies.

https://twitch.tv/apiarykeyboards

is a perfect example, and she had cute deskmats like last week linked.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

LionArcher posted:

also check out the small twitch streamer builders, they usually have discounts and their own sick desk mats being run by the bigger companies.

https://twitch.tv/apiarykeyboards

is a perfect example, and she had cute deskmats like last week linked.

Thanks! I didn't see many discounts or any mats of her own, but through her affiliate links I found three cool mats at places I wouldn't have otherwise known to look.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks! I didn't see many discounts or any mats of her own, but through her affiliate links I found three cool mats at places I wouldn't have otherwise known to look.

Yeah of course! I just found her like a week ago and her and Alex (a slightly bigger keyboard maker) seem very cool and are my keyboard info people now. And considering they are trying to make it their full time gigs I figure helping the little folks as much as possible is a good thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://kono.store/products/kat-cyberspace

Check the link for the BBox 60 build guide from that page.

quote:

Designed by Ulliam and buger.work, produced by JTK
Build guide here: https://ulliam.wtf/box60/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I think these blanks are sweet, though I kept the enter key from the original set. I'm torn because the Carbon keycap font was nice and retro, but I am really enjoying having everything blanked out. This is 3/4 mechanicals in my office blanked now, with a set of blank caps for the last one (for the moment) set to arrive soon.

Unsinkabear posted:

This is a bummer and I'm so grateful you said something about it before I placed the order. I should have realized, though :cripes:

Turn your bummer into an excuse to have, minimally, two sweet mechanicals. In the above shot the rear Corsair board has MX Reds and I use it for twitch gaming. The Code TKL is MX blue and I use it for composing memoirs and Serious Shitposting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

This is a bummer and I'm so grateful you said something about it before I placed the order. I should have realized, though :cripes:

It's a shame tactility has to increase hand in hand with spring weight. Is that less true with Topre and Friends, or any other types? I vaguely recall Plum's 35g feeling fairly bumpy despite the low weight, but it's been a while and I could be misremembering

Trip report: I'm kinda finding the 52g bobagums TOO light. I'll be resting my finger on a key and a accidentally trigger it.

Loving the 68g tangerines right now, about to go lube and film them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey there keyboard thread, I'm looking for a new keyboard because my current el cheapo one is missing keystrokes when there's multiples going on (usually 3-4, standard WASD control stuff), and I figure I should buy something good for once. I'm not entirely convinced that it need be mechanical, but I'm considering it.

It looks like 90% of mechanicals are straight boards though? I do programming for work, and so having at least a little bit of a curve in it goes a long way. I'm currently pondering the Logitech Ergo K860, but would love to hear other suggestions.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

4/4 keyboards in use are all blanked now.

Time to start building a wireless TKL for the Shield TV, I guess.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

PittTheElder posted:

Hey there keyboard thread, I'm looking for a new keyboard because my current el cheapo one is missing keystrokes when there's multiples going on (usually 3-4, standard WASD control stuff), and I figure I should buy something good for once. I'm not entirely convinced that it need be mechanical, but I'm considering it.

It looks like 90% of mechanicals are straight boards though? I do programming for work, and so having at least a little bit of a curve in it goes a long way. I'm currently pondering the Logitech Ergo K860, but would love to hear other suggestions.

90% of the mechanicals discussed in this thread are straight boards (or kits featuring a PCB and case, with bring-your-own switches and keycaps) because this thread is for the top end of keyboards as a hobby. There are plenty of pre-builts from companies like Corsair, GMMK, and Drop that you'll be completely happy with because you may never even realize there's a difference between 62g and 65g of activation force on switches, and hearing a difference in the sound quality of different deadening foams still takes an ear trained to notice the distinction.

The issue you've specifically called out (dropped inputs when multiple keys are pressed) is solved with a feature called "N-Key Rollover", which in basic terms means the keyboard will send more than (typically) 6 key-presses simultaneously to the computer. I don't think there are any serious boards out there that don't have it at this point?

The main question you have to ask yourself now is if you want a 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL (ten-keyless), 100%, Alice-style, or Ergodox-style board. There are plusses and minuses to each layout, where shifting functionality to layers frees up more space on your desk and reduces the distance your hands & fingers move. After that most pre-builts will offer the choice between a standard selection of linear switches (no bump before the bottom), tactile (bump before the bottom, without attempting to make noise), and clicky (bump before the bottom with a design intended to signal activation with a "click" noise). You can get inexpensive ($10-$20) tester packs with a selection of different kinds of switches so you can figure out what you like. Pre-builts will come with decent, functional keycaps. You can replace them later to color-coordinate or give your board some individual character.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

PittTheElder posted:

To add to what Wizard of the Deep said. If you want to stick with that curved style keyboard, that gets pricey when it comes to mechanicals, and something like the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard does technically exist as a mechanical, but a few minutes of searching, I can't find one for sale.

The few that I found:
x-bows Ergonomic - No idea if they have it in stock (Amazon is out), nor of the quality.
Kinesis Gaming Freestyle RGB - One of the better known makers of the split keyboard setups.
Kinesus Freestyle2 - NON Mechanical. But not a bad price either (comparatively).
Kinesus Freestyle Pro - Basically the Gaming keyboard, but more office looking.

If you want to get a literal feel for a mechanical, so many off the shelf/Amazon ones will be using some form of Blue Switches. These have an audible click and bump when they activate (usually half way down, and some of these can be very loud). That said, you can pick one up in the 20-30 dollar range and see if it is something you might like over a rubber-dome keyboard. I'd even check Walmart, as their store brand (BlackWeb I think it is) makes a cheap blue switch keyboard.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Turn your bummer into an excuse to have, minimally, two sweet mechanicals. In the above shot the rear Corsair board has MX Reds and I use it for twitch gaming. The Code TKL is MX blue and I use it for composing memoirs and Serious Shitposting.

How much money do you think I have? :stonk: (That blanked Code TKL is looking fine, though)

ijyt posted:

Trip report: I'm kinda finding the 52g bobagums TOO light. I'll be resting my finger on a key and a accidentally trigger it.

Loving the 68g tangerines right now, about to go lube and film them

Interesting! I returned the RK84 for a Plum 87, and I must have a weirdly light touch because I just barely notice that issue on 35g topre knockoffs (I did confirm they're not name brand) with the actuation point set to 2mm. Maybe you should try something with those Matias silent tactiles? Their web page for the new edition of the Ergo Pro says the switches actuate at something crazy like 65g, but then the force requirement rapidly drops off in a non-linear fashion after that. Could be tough to press on accident, but easy to hold down? Best of both worlds?

PittTheElder posted:

:words: about the quest for curved or split boards

Koskun posted:

good :words: about options

Imo try to grab something with either browns (tactile so they keep the bump of the clicky style without making extra noise on purpose) or reds (linear, no bump/click feeling at all, just straight up and down) instead of blues, since the percentage of people who prefer blues seems to be pretty small. Not a lot of love itt, and I saw one Twitch/YouTuber poll her followers and come up a single-digit percentage of clicky-likers. Would be a shame if they got put off based on the extra noise but would have liked one of the other two styles.

Also if you're going to throw down for the Kinesis Gaming Freestyle RGB in order to have mechanical and ergo, also look at the Programmable edition of the Matias Ergo Pro I mentioned above. You can get it refurbed for the same price as the Kinesis, and it includes the pieces to adjust the tenting and angle of the keyboard (which is half the reason you want one of these) while the Kinesis charges extra for it. The Matias also has very different switch options than the Kinesis' basic Cherry (the heavy tactile mentioned above and a low-force linear that a programmer friend of mine likes) and a different approach to layout and productivity. It used to be less reliable than the Kinesis so it's not on a lot of "best of" lists, but the new edition supposedly fixes that and puts it back on the same level. Both have tradeoffs so it's a personal call which works best for you, but if you want split and mechanical it unfortunately seems to be a choice between just those two. I've been looking too, and everything else is either a fixed curve that costs almost as much as a full split despite having less customization, or is a zillion dollar mega split board for supernerds.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 25, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you have to ask the price, my friend, this isn't the hobby for you. :smugbert:

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I think these blanks are sweet, though I kept the enter key from the original set. I'm torn because the Carbon keycap font was nice and retro, but I am really enjoying having everything blanked out. This is 3/4 mechanicals in my office blanked now, with a set of blank caps for the last one (for the moment) set to arrive soon.

Where did you get the frosted clear blanks? I'm liking them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PittTheElder posted:

What do you mean by curve? Like oldschool Model F curve where there's a scoop from the top to bottom row?
or like an Alice style layout where the layout is split and keys are rotated?
or do you mean a tilt from the center to the outside of the keyboard?
or maybe even a tented alice?
https://kbdfans.com/products/ic-kbdfans-mountain-ergo-keyboard-kit

or just tented ortho?
https://mountainkeyboards.com/collections/lets-tango

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What do you mean by curve? Like oldschool Model F curve where there's a scoop from the top to bottom row?
or like an Alice style layout where the layout is split and keys are rotated?
or do you mean a tilt from the center to the outside of the keyboard?
or maybe even a tented alice?
https://kbdfans.com/products/ic-kbdfans-mountain-ergo-keyboard-kit

or just tented ortho?
https://mountainkeyboards.com/collections/lets-tango

Big reach here, but I think they probably mean something like the curve in that Logitech Ergo K860 they mentioned. So... that category? Whatever you'd call that

Also yes those pudding blanks look dope

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

How much money do you think I have? :stonk: (That blanked Code TKL is looking fine, though)

Interesting! I returned the RK84 for a Plum 87, and I must have a weirdly light touch because I just barely notice that issue on 35g topre knockoffs (I did confirm they're not name brand) with the actuation point set to 2mm. Maybe you should try something with those Matias silent tactiles? Their web page for the new edition of the Ergo Pro says the switches actuate at something crazy like 65g, but then the force requirement rapidly drops off in a non-linear fashion after that. Could be tough to press on accident, but easy to hold down? Best of both worlds?

Oooh I'll see how easy those are to source, thanks for the tip!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm from the Philippines so I had to buy this keyset: Keyreative All Touch - KAT Katha

So excited to work with these caps!!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Fleedar posted:

Where did you get the frosted clear blanks? I'm liking them.

amazon, cheeeeeep
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JR7MC47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unsinkabear posted:

less than you would if you used membrane keyboards, and thanks!! :)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ijyt posted:

Oooh I'll see how easy those are to source, thanks for the tip!

They're in-stock on their website for $50 per 200. I'd offer to split a box with you, but someone itt said they're not compatible with regular hotswap boards so idk what we'd put them in. I don't have the first clue about soldering PCBs, but if you go down that road maybe you'd have more options?

I may order a Matias Ergo Pro later this year when I'm less busy and post a trip report then, but that won't be until mid/late November at the earliest. I picked up a Kinesis off Amazon to test how the split board concept works for me in the meantime.

Edit: That said, if anyone does know of something budget-ish we could throw the Matias switches in, please share!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 25, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Any experience with Epomaker boards? I'm trying to find a full size keyboard kit, choices are slim. GK108 looks like it would fit all the needs. Besides GMMK Full Size, are there any other full size hot swappable boards ~$100? Needs to be full sized, not 96%.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Any experience with Epomaker boards? I'm trying to find a full size keyboard kit, choices are slim. GK108 looks like it would fit all the needs. Besides GMMK Full Size, are there any other full size hot swappable boards ~$100? Needs to be full sized, not 96%.

redeyes on the discord took that board and filled the case with pourable silicone, I've got my eye on it too because full size hotswap are super rare. Seems like a good board.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mariooncrack posted:

I don't have one of their keyboards but I have an epomaker standalone numpad that I'm happy with. Very well built. The config software kinda sucks, but it's functional.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Someone here was looking for a left hand numpad keyboard: https://viendi.co/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwYIrdAy4g

(it's expensive, starts at $388)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Pretty, but I want that Aeboards Aegis he mentions in comparison. Looks like the perfect layout. :swoon:

Why does everything nice have to be a limited run?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

Someone here was looking for a left hand numpad keyboard: https://viendi.co/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwYIrdAy4g

(it's expensive, starts at $388)

I was and brought this up forever ago but the GB just got dropped by a couple of vendors "due to importing uncertainties." Chief among them was Cannonkeys who was the lead vendor for this GB. The vendor has been changed to KeebsForAll and price increased to $448 and for that reason I'm out.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 26, 2021