Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

T-Paine posted:

yeah i wanted to gif that. it's a good distillation of how hosed we are

Dont worry, we got this, just have to stop all new fossil fuel exploration this year:

Approvals for new oil and gas developments, coal mines, and mine extensions must cease immediately.

Oh wait:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/beating-oil-gas-industry-biden-110000396.html

After campaigning on reining in oil and gas companies and curbing climate change, President Joe Biden is scrambling to find ways to lower energy prices — and counting on help from the industry.

The average per-gallon price of gasoline stands at $3.29 nationally, the highest level in seven years. Oil is also at its highest price in that time frame. Rising natural gas prices are expected to raise heating bills by about 30% this winter. With general inflation also high and dragging down Biden's approval ratings, rising energy prices are a threat to the president's agenda.

Biden has already been forced to ask global oil producers in OPEC+ to increase output to boost global supply in hopes of lowering costs. And this week, the White House has been reportedly consulting with the oil and gas industry about lowering prices — an industry whose footprint Biden has sought to shrink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Well, we got two months still. I'm sure Biden has this

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

The best part is that the 0,5% commitments will be instantly disregarded as too optimistic, best case scenario, let's be realistic here and increase emissions by 10%

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Yeah even the lovely, insufficient targets we've set are getting eviscerated. Technology won't save us, politics won't save us, personal action won't save us, sabotage won't save us, we're going to walk confidently into the apocalypse because preventing it was too hard and could have made some billionaires sad

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I like the section headlined "It's not too late" which says all electricity generation must be net-zero and all houses converted to electrical heating 18 years from now while generating no extra emissions. In 28 years, 90% of heavy industry must be net-zero worldwide, also while generating no extra emissions in the changeover. Having done that, there's 10 years left to suck 7.6 billion metric tons of carbon straight out of the air and storing it somewhere.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, I meant -5 years (negative) to finish sucking out the carbon

RIP Syndrome has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Oct 24, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
lol rime stop posting in the bad place

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Climate collapse is fixed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/23/weather/weather-trees-adapt-climate-change/index.html

quote:

By 2050, Miami Beach's palms should make up no more than 25% of the public tree population, according to Miami Beach's Rising Above plan.

quote:

But Florida's beloved palms are the least effective at carbon sequestration. The average palm in southern Florida only absorbs 5 pounds of CO2 per year.

Compared to other trees -- oaks, mahogany, pines, and cedars -- that can sequester more than 3,000 pounds of CO2 over their lifetime, it may be best to exclude palms in favor of more broadleaf trees or conifers.

quote:

Regardless, the concern is that a standard passenger vehicle emits about 10,000 pounds (4.6 metric tons) of CO2 per year, which means we need a lot of trees to combat the amount of vehicles on the roads.

THAT'S NOT WHAT IT MEANS DINGUS!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Miami Beach Above Water Tree Census 2050:

One (1) Large Palm Tree
Six (6) Small Mangrove
One (1) Skeleton Arm Poking Out of the Sand Giving a Thumbs-Up

Success!!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Miami Beach Above Water Tree Census 2050:

One (1) Large Palm Tree
Six (6) Small Mangrove
One (1) Skeleton Arm Poking Out of the Sand Giving a Thumbs-Up

Success!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like the idea of trees fighting cars.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Another p-hacker gets bitten in the nads. :qq: I remember when principle component analysis was a visualization tool during data cleanup, not the final step before publishing a paper.

gently caress, I'm old. :corsair:

If you want an interesting view on how sophisticated the manufactured food industry is I'd suggest Dr. Robert Lustig and his book "The Hacking the American Mind". Dr. Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist who got interested in the obesity question, fell down the rabbit hole looking at mechanisms, then took a year off to get a masters in law because he knew they'd be coming for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkUtrL6B18

I think he was the one who talked about industry researchers sticking people in medical imaging devices and watching their brains while eating manufactured food. Given the money I don't doubt there's some highly sophisticated research behind this crap even if all it finally just comes down to "add more sugar and fat".

Never underestimate predatory capitalism.

Just need to release a bunch of sterile males into the population and the problems are solved. Wait, what was that about sperm counts?

I read that guys book 5 years ago lol

e https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14481524-fat-chance

Slider has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Oct 24, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cold on a Cob posted:

scrolling the page while watching the graph on the left update, giggling like a maniac

the COVID thread and this one are so deeply linked

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ah yes, let us plant more oak trees in Miami

Their roots will convert the saltwater at ground level into harmless, useful gasoline while protecting against the environment that is increasingly inhospitable to them

i am a tree scientist

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Nice to meet you, what do you do for a living?

I'm a guy who studies the tree. A tree scientest.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
more carbon = more hot
+
more tree = less carbon
+
less carbon = less hot
=
More Tree.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

still beyond stunned that someone wrote out that one (1) tree absorbs 3000 pounds of carbon dioxide in its lifetime, then went on to write that one (1) passenger vehicle generates 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide in a loving year and their takeaway was "we need to plant more trees"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

destroying one single car gets you 450 tree-years after only a year

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
More. Tree.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

still beyond stunned that someone wrote out that one (1) tree absorbs 3000 pounds of carbon dioxide in its lifetime, then went on to write that one (1) passenger vehicle generates 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide in a loving year and their takeaway was "we need to plant more trees"

it owns

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

the amazon is getting deforested to the point that it's no longer a carbon sink but a net carbon emitter. We need more fuckin' trees people. Simple as

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Boomers were raised on nonsense stories about Johnny Appleseed and every time a heat wave hits they talk about we need to plant more trees. It's a very consistent theme in boomer logic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

the amazon is getting deforested to the point that it's no longer a carbon sink but a net carbon emitter. We need more fuckin' trees people. Simple as

i keep trying but the splinters are rough

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The most frustrating part is no one will ever say "it's too late" or advocate for any real change, but will instead just go "acktually, it can always get worse, so maybe we should try to limit the warming to 2.4C"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Narrator: They did not try to limit it to 2.4C

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Don't let the perfect (the sustained survival of some form of human civilization) be the enemy of the good (collapse happens in 2041 instead of 2040)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

The most frustrating part is no one will ever say "it's too late" or advocate for any real change, but will instead just go "acktually, it can always get worse, so maybe we should try to limit the warming to 2.4C"

the problem is the people who are already saying "it's too late" are the ones bought and paid for by the oil companies so they're not ever going to advocate for any real change

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

We always complain about bitcoin mining, how much computer processing is used to make endless reports of what would happen if this thing that wouldn't happen anyway would do which even if it was done wouldn't be useful

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i really like the language of just collapse, because it cleaves away a lot of the confusion of the "too late" debate.

it is "too late" to save our consumptive society, always has been. but there is still opportunity for a more just collapse.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i like how "just collapse" works as a double entendre

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

loving council dumped glyphosate on my native lilies!!!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

the population is going up and that means more cars and trucks on the road, you can't separate motor vehicles and population that's just not possible

unless you were going to commit a tyranny and infringe on AR FREEDOMS

but that'd never happen especially in the great free state of sunny, funny Florida

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

loving council dumped glyphosate on my native lilies!!!

wow that's a load of bullshit

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Good news, everyone, after evil polluting coal is taken down in the US by clean oil and clean natural gas and solar and wind and hydro and clean coal a new threat is rearing its head to fight. Plastic manufacturing is well on the way to overtaking coal's carbon emissions.

quote:

As of 2020, the U.S. plastics industry is responsible for at least 232 million tons of CO2e gas emissions per year. This amount is equivalent to the average emissions from 116 average-sized (500-megawatt) coal-fired power plants.

The U.S. plastics industry’s contribution to climate change is on track to exceed that of coal-fired power in this country by 2030. At least 42 plastics facilities have opened since 2019, are under construction, or are in the permitting process. If they become fully operational, these new plastics plants could release an additional 55 million tons of greenhouse gases—the equivalent of another 27 average-sized coal plants. The health impacts of these emissions are disproportionately borne by low-income communities and communities of color, making this a major environmental justice issue.

We'll be fighting the good fight for decades to come!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol good one punchy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol good one punchy

hell never ends

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

only the most wildly optimistic and zealously hopeful people think this will be over quickly

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

i keep trying but the splinters are rough

Thank you for taking individual responsibility. If everybody stepped up to the plate like you maybe we'd have a chance

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MightyBigMinus posted:

only the most wildly optimistic and zealously hopeful people think this will be over quickly

it seems like wishful thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MightyBigMinus posted:

"We went to the moon in less than a decade, surely we can fix everything that's wrong with the planet in less than that because we have better computers and blockchain now!" :downs: