Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

In Riftbreaker, do mines and power plants that use resources throttle themselves when there's no need for more ore or power? I'm mostly afraid that biomass power plats may be wasting resources if the power generation capacity exceeds the demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'd be more bothered about it if the original Demon's Souls didn't emulate fine at least, it performed and looked better than I remember the ps3 version being when I tried it in RPCS3, although you won't get a thriving online playerbase of course, it's good that the game is so well preserved otherwise.

To be a little more Steam related, how was that Nier 1 release? I got decently far into that one on RPCS3 too, but I almost feel like starting over cause I dropped it for too long, and there wasn't an official rerelease yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

In Riftbreaker, do mines and power plants that use resources throttle themselves when there's no need for more ore or power? I'm mostly afraid that biomass power plats may be wasting resources if the power generation capacity exceeds the demand.

Mines definitely do. Don't know about the power plants. Just build energy storage to handle excess because you'll probably need it at some point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sininu posted:

Power plants will burn their resources even if you've got an energy surplus and full storage, unfortunately. Biomass isn't a huge loss, at least; I don't think it has any other use. Carbonium and uranium are a different story.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm a big FromSoft liker and DeS was my first game from them, played it on a PS3. I liked it a lot back then, especially the atmosphere. Last month I've played a few hours of the DeS remake and thought it was kinda soulless, too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think it’s main fault is it’s trying to be to like the original?

I tfeep like for remakes focusing on remaking the spirit rather than a 1:1 conversion is better

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo, DUSK slaps

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ZearothK posted:

Holy poo poo, DUSK slaps

:hai:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Holy poo poo, DUSK slaps

it do

check out Amid Evil or Project Warlock next if you want more

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Goons seems really excited about Wildermyth when it came out but I haven’t seen much talk about it lately. Did it turn out to not be as good as initial impressions?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

LLSix posted:

Goons seems really excited about Wildermyth when it came out but I haven’t seen much talk about it lately. Did it turn out to not be as good as initial impressions?

heck yeah it's good!!!! seriously, it's great, i'm surprised nobody talks about it much. i mentioned it a while ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

LLSix posted:

It's definitely pretty cool. I think I burnt out on it a little bit because combat scenarios can be a little repetitive; unless there are some major shakeups I never got to, there are really only so many permutations of enemies and environment to run into, and you get into fights a lot. The structure and the procedurally generated storytelling and the battle system itself are all really neat though. It's a game I'd review highly from an objective standpoint but not want to put a ton of hours in myself, if that makes sense.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LLSix posted:

Wildermyth is great. The procedural campaigns are very fun and the three first campaigns are cool, but the last two campaigns (Eluna and the Moth, All the Bones of Summer) are on a whole other level in gameplay and narrative.

Do agree that normal combat can be somewhat repetitive long term, though there are quite a few neat twists with skill interactions and enemy abilities. Strongly suggest increasing difficulty from normal for people coming from tactics games, because it is really easy by default and you won't get pressured into using all the bullshit otherwise.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed it but I was maybe just unlucky and started getting alot of repeat events already by the time I started on the second campaign (the one with the robots) so I kind of put it down 75% through that one

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I tried to get into Wildermyth a few times during their EA development, and found it very boring every time, but YMMV.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

I'd be more bothered about it if the original Demon's Souls didn't emulate fine at least, it performed and looked better than I remember the ps3 version being when I tried it in RPCS3, although you won't get a thriving online playerbase of course, it's good that the game is so well preserved otherwise.

Demon's Souls looks and plays great on PC with emulation for sure. Here's Boletaria at 3440x1440 from when I ran it again last year:

I'm extremely glad the remake exists, they did a tremendous job in a lot of things. But you can be glad of that and still be sad they ditched or mangled whatever your favorite thing was about what was a very memorable game - I bought a PS3 to play it. For me it's the soundtrack and voice acting they should've kept from the original as they're are both very unique in approach, which fits with a game which goes out on a limb in gameplay, narration and atmosphere too. Making the audio more conventional loses some of the originality of the original.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 24, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the remake was amazing, I bought a PS5 for it and sold the PS5 when I finished it. It was better than the original simply because the framerate and resolution but I also loved the voice acting and facial animations. A great game on PS3 and PS5 really and playing it emulated is fun too. I had no real issues with any design decisions or music, except maybe the fat officials, but it's not all that noticeable when playing.

Also having a large player base again for invasions and Old Monk was great.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 24, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Play posted:

The setting, an ancient underground temple stumbled upon during a search for Saddam's WMDs, made it more engaging I think.

Just lol at this loving premise :911:

Anyways, props to the poster that praised Evil Within 2 some time ago. I wanted something spoopy since it's the season and it persuaded me to give it a whirl, and it's pretty good!

The mix of open world exploration interspersed with more tightly designed set pieces really works. I'm playing with the patched-in FPS mode and it works pretty well too (though definitely with some jank, particularly when trying to engage in the cover system). Also, with no knowledge of the series going in, the setting introduced in the opening minutes is baffling and I love it.

Definitely worth checking out if you've already played through the good Resident Evils and want more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

what did they fundamentally change?

Various parts of the art design? The statue where you can do a bunch of critical meta-game poo poo that was never in the original? The whole easter egg hunt leading to the Penetrator armor?

It's not that I think any given change is Wrong and Unjust, it's that it's dumb as hell to hem and haw about preserving FromSoft's vision while blatantly not actually giving a gently caress about it. They just didn't want to rock the boat with any changes that would be seen as too controversial (it came up re: adding one of those dreaded Easy Modes to the remake), and then couched it in a debate about artistic integrity. Even outside that many folks were hyped that maybe they would reinstate that missing archstone and we'd get to see that lost area, but nope, that would also be too radical. Why not unfuck some of the jankier mechanics that even diehard DeS fans think suck? Nah, but Maneater can ship looking like hot rear end because gently caress you.

In general I think the Bluepoint remakes and similar projects are distasteful because they soley exist for Sony marketing purposes, not because the games they're remaking actually needed it all that badly or that there's a particular passion behind it. See also: Anyone who's hype for the Dead Space remake is a drat fool.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I said earlier in the thread, but the remake makes a great showcase for their loading speeds, it's seriously amazing, but I also love the new art design for most things and think Bluepoint did an amazing job. I finished the game on PS3, emulation and PS5 and I think the PS5 was the best version.

Edit: Also I feel like people have been calling for a remake for years since it ran so poorly, and the bonus being a new pool of players for invasions.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
What hunts for hares, alone or in pairs
and has you clean up its log
Who's fur is real black, and does an attack,
It's dog dog dog

https://i.imgur.com/I19RQnS.mp4

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Various parts of the art design? The statue where you can do a bunch of critical meta-game poo poo that was never in the original? The whole easter egg hunt leading to the Penetrator armor?

It's not that I think any given change is Wrong and Unjust, it's that it's dumb as hell to hem and haw about preserving FromSoft's vision while blatantly not actually giving a gently caress about it. They just didn't want to rock the boat with any changes that would be seen as too controversial (it came up re: adding one of those dreaded Easy Modes to the remake), and then couched it in a debate about artistic integrity. Even outside that many folks were hyped that maybe they would reinstate that missing archstone and we'd get to see that lost area, but nope, that would also be too radical. Why not unfuck some of the jankier mechanics that even diehard DeS fans think suck? Nah, but Maneater can ship looking like hot rear end because gently caress you.

In general I think the Bluepoint remakes and similar projects are distasteful because they soley exist for Sony marketing purposes, not because the games they're remaking actually needed it all that badly or that there's a particular passion behind it. See also: Anyone who's hype for the Dead Space remake is a drat fool.

none of what you listed is very fundamental nor is it widespread, and they demonstrably shouldn't have added or changed more than they did when every single line of source code that wasn't perfectly preserved has a different person claiming that it was their personal favorite line of code and that updating it to conform with modern linting standards has Destroyed Art Forever

as far as I'm aware the "critical meta-game poo poo" you're complaining the statue can do is 1. turn on an alternate display mode which horizontally flips the screen so the world feels less familiar, 2. change your appearance in the character creator, and 3. get forgiveness from aggroed NPCs. which is a feature from the dark souls games which the original badly needed as accidentally angering NPCs can lock you out of your entire item storage, and it's exactly the kind of thing you're saying they should have done more of. except they did that and you're complaining about it, so I'm convinced there's no way they could have handled this remake that wouldn't have had this response. I suspect many of the complaints are coming from people who haven't even played it and are complaining just to complain

the creative director has made it clear that keeping the soul of the original was critical to them and every decision about what to change was agonizing. There's nothing two-faced about the remake, they had an extremely fine needle to thread with modernizing a game of which people are very protective but which is also extremely dated, which is a sysyphean task. the result isn't perfect but I'm also not sure what perfect would even look like beyond my own set of personal nitpicks

Rusty posted:

Edit: Also I feel like people have been calling for a remake for years since it ran so poorly, and the bonus being a new pool of players for invasions.

it's the game the fewest people have played as it was never rereleased and didn't have series name recognition when it came out. a remake was more than warranted.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Morter posted:

What hunts for hares, alone or in pairs
and has you clean up its log
Who's fur is real black, and does an attack,
It's dog dog dog

https://i.imgur.com/I19RQnS.mp4

farcry 6 is silly fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkq-_u7hxfs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

none of what you listed is very fundamental nor is it widespread, and they demonstrably shouldn't have added or changed more than they did when every single line of source code that wasn't perfectly preserved has a different person claiming that it was their personal favorite line of code and that updating it to conform with modern linting standards has Destroyed Art Forever

as far as I'm aware the "critical meta-game poo poo" you're complaining the statue can do is 1. turn on an alternate display mode which horizontally flips the screen so the world feels less familiar, 2. change your appearance in the character creator, and 3. get forgiveness from aggroed NPCs. which is a feature from the dark souls games which the original badly needed as accidentally angering NPCs can lock you out of your entire item storage, and it's exactly the kind of thing you're saying they should have done more of. except they did that and you're complaining about it, so I'm convinced there's no way they could have handled this remake that wouldn't have had this response. I suspect many of the complaints are coming from people who haven't even played it and are complaining just to complain

the creative director has made it clear that keeping the soul of the original was critical to them and every decision about what to change was agonizing. There's nothing two-faced about the remake, they had an extremely fine needle to thread with modernizing a game of which people are very protective but which is also extremely dated, which is a sysyphean task. the result isn't perfect but I'm also not sure what perfect would even look like beyond my own set of personal nitpicks

it's the game the fewest people have played as it was never rereleased and didn't have series name recognition when it came out. a remake was more than warranted.

readinng this post but its abotu the woman painting over the picture of jesus and defending it as artisitically valid

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
how's the bloom slug cave in the remake? Cuz if it doesn't make my eyes bleed then they failed to capture From's original vision

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

The demon's souls remake is great, looks gorgeous and the haptics and audio are really good as well. £70 well spent!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really want to like Phoenix Point but it's just lacking that XCOM magic :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dark Souls should have more farts

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Finally playing Prey for the first time. This game's pretty good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

readinng this post but its abotu the woman painting over the picture of jesus and defending it as artisitically valid

dark souls is literally jesus, and adding easy mode or qol features is a satanic plot to destroy the christian family

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Holy poo poo, DUSK slaps

so I just now saw this is in a bundle with golden light:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/22836/Dusk_till_Light/

kinda weird as the games have almost nothing in common, but as the one person in the world coming from angle of "hasn't played DUSK but has played golden light," I'll just throw out a Game Awareness Post for Golden Light here. it's one of the most inscrutable things I've ever touched, kind of bullshit sometimes, and still the most captivating first person roguelite I've played. out of all the roguelites I've played it's the one that comes the closest to capturing the feel of an actual roguelike, where it's not clear what anything does, what's friendly and what will try to kill you, what kinds of tricks you can use to get an edge, when to fight and when to run, what good play even looks like, etc. I'm not gonna categorically recommend it or anything, because I mean fuckin' look at it, only you can say whether it might be your thing or not, but I've enjoyed what I've played of it more than expected. I think I'm about halfway to the end?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Stux posted:

Exactly. FROM Software are the incompetent hack butchering gaming, and Bluepoint are the heroes doing their best to recreate the underlying beauty.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Replaying Deus Ex: HR on a whim

Love 2 get the Ghost bonus when half the people in the level saw me, and several of them shot at me :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

dark souls is literally jesus, and adding easy mode or qol features is a satanic plot to destroy the christian family

very interesting youve taken "the remaster is visually bad" to mean "they shouldnt add easy mode" wondner if u want to analyze why youve made that snap judgement :mrgw:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Exactly. FROM Software are the incompetent hack butchering gaming, and Bluepoint are the heroes doing their best to recreate the underlying beauty.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

disgusting. the entire ui, just horrific. lock them up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

very interesting youve taken "the remaster is visually bad" to mean "they shouldnt add easy mode" wondner if u want to analyze why youve made that snap judgement :mrgw:

that post was about a statue for npc aggro, it didn't even say anything about the visuals of the remaster

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that post was about a statue for npc aggro, it didn't even say anything about the visuals of the remaster

ohhhh therhes only one post in this whole thread??? AHhhhh my bad then :D

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Started Control since I got it for free a while back... did I miss a clue for finding the maintenance area? I'm just wandering aimlessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Use the elevator.