Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

How are u posted:

I don't have any particular reason to distrust Israel's covid data out of hand, but I do want to drill down on this part of your post here. You must not have heard of what Israel was doing to its own Black Jewish population a few years back.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/30/forced-contraception-jewish-ethopian-women

So when you posted the words I quoted above I immediately thought of this, and it's a very good reason to not blindly trust that Israel is 100% a good faith actor when it comes to the medical care off its citizens.

Yeah that's why I didn't just put (Jewish) in the parenthesis. I would not trust anything Israel did to any minority. But the COVID booster strategy is the one that their favorite populations get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a choice, I can get either whenever basically, that's why I'm asking.

Unfortunately there's not a clear consensus at this point, but early studies show mixing and matching might be better. So if I were in your situation and had either available, I would probably go with moderna.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah the min-max is a different brand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So the Pfizer booster is probably better because it's a full dose, right?

Even at a half dose, the Moderna booster has more mRNA than full-strength Pfizer, fifty micrograms versus thirty.

Does this translate to better efficacy? No one knows. We don’t have anything directly comparing those two options.

We know that the full-strength Moderna shot as a booster elicits more neutralizing antibodies than either of the other brands, regardless of mix vaccine was originally given to the person.

Moderna, for their part, gave reduced-strength boosters to their clinical trial participants. Their rationale for this decision was as follows:

quote:

• Goal was to use optimal effective dose for boosting
  • Lower booster doses than those used for primary series of other vaccines shown to reactivate immune memory
  • Lower booster dose increases worldwide vaccine supply of mRNA-1273

This comes from their presentation to CDC’s advisory community on immunization practices. They demonstrate that these boosters are safe, that they raise the levels of neutralizing antibodies in people who receive them, and that boosters are prudent, because protection granted by the original series does wane with time (see slides 11 & 12).

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yeah the min-max is a different brand.

My impression was the min-max was "ok good you got whatever, now get a moderna shot"

e: https://twitter.com/AdrienneLaF/status/1451169947472875524

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I had my second dose of Moderna on 4/27, and I'll be scheduling myself for a Moderna booster on 10/27 because a) it's what's available, b) it's literally at my workplace, and c) I work for a particular retailer that's probably ground zero for unvaccinated customers. If they were only offering Pfizer, I'd probably take that.

My wife will schedule hers right at 6mo as well, because she works for the local school district, which has a great uptake among staff, but less so among the local parents and eligible school kids. We're also eagerly awaiting our almost 4yo preschooler being eligible as soon as possible.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Is there a useful summary of booster effectiveness vis a vis age and gender? I've seen a bunch of twitter chop on booster myocarditis for younger men and want to figure out if that's legit or just smoke and fury from the antivaxxers.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Flappy Bert posted:

Is there a useful summary of booster effectiveness vis a vis age and gender? I've seen a bunch of twitter chop on booster myocarditis for younger men and want to figure out if that's legit or just smoke and fury from the antivaxxers.

younger men have a higher risk of myocarditis, yes

That was part of the hesitation in approving boosters for younger healthy people, I believe. It's legit, but still very rare (iirc ~100 cases per million third-doses for men aged 18-29 but only a small number required hospitaliztion)

I went over some of the data in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298&userid=225596&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post518496747

You can look at the data in detail if ya like. Legit but very rare.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ChineseBuffet posted:

What's the current go-to mask for kids? Trying to maximize protection for a series of visits to the doctor's office my 6-year-old is going to have to make over the next few months.

My 4yo has been wearing these daily since August. They come in different colors too.

https://behealthyusa.net/collections/small/products/blue-kf94-mask-small-kid-size?variant=36886975709348

They have "3d" style ones available that we tried, but the 2d ones fit her face better. You could start with one of their mix and match packages to try different brands and styles.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I have a choice, I can get either whenever basically, that's why I'm asking.

Wasn’t much statistical difference between the two MRNA boosters if you got Pfizer. I think if you had Moderna getting a third Moderna was best but Pfizer wasn’t much worse. J&J definitely Moderna. I forget for AZ because we don’t have it here but I imagine either MRNA is good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I know that it was a blunder for Biden and the CDC to say the vaccinated can go unmasked, but a vaccinated unmasked person is safer to be next to than an unvaccinated masked person, right? And if so, by what degree?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

I know that it was a blunder for Biden and the CDC to say the vaccinated can go unmasked, but a vaccinated unmasked person is safer to be next to than an unvaccinated masked person, right? And if so, by what degree?

I think this depends entirely on the mask.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Edit: My bad, I completely misread Freebooter’s question. The following assumes that the exposure conditions are equivalent, i.e. both the vaccinated and unvaccinated person are either masked or unmasked. I don’t think that anyone can say with any confidence that the unmasked vaccinated person is safer to be around.

Early studies looking at families of healthcare workers found that it cut household attack rate approximately in half. The science brief attached to CDC’s disastrous May guidance cited this Scottish paper.

So I think it’s fair to say that a reduction by half is the optimistic view.

Time since vaccination and the coming of the Delta variant maybe both have eroded that.

This is a preprint, so enjoy the following declaration.

quote:

Declarations

DWE declares lecture fees from Gilead outside the submitted work. No other author has a conflict of interest to declare.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 25, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poll plane variant posted:

This is true.

In the extremes, would anyone disagree that an unvaccinated person with a fitted N95 is safer to be around than a baldfaced vaccinee?

Would anyone disagree that an unvaccinated person with a bandana is less safe to be around than a baldfaced vaccinee?

An attack rate reduction by half is easily beaten by an N95 and very much not beaten by a bandana.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think it's fair to say that if you don't want to catch Covid, you should probably be more concerned about your own vaccination status and your own mask than try to account for whomever you're going to be around. "Keep wearing an N95 rated mask or better if you're going to be sharing air with other people, and get your booster if you're eligible" still seems like pretty solid advice for being able to go to the grocery store or ride a bus with little fear.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Also staying clean-shaven and considering eye protection are things people don't consider too much. I think there are bearded "respirator crew" goons, which is the most baffling thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember, folks, you only have to shave the places where your respirator of choice contacts the face.

Many moustaches, goatees, sideburns, even neckbeards can be kept clear of the seal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Also staying clean-shaven and considering eye protection are things people don't consider too much. I think there are bearded "respirator crew" goons, which is the most baffling thing.

Yeah I just sucked it up and started shaving again because you know what, I'm handsome either way and I'm not going to let vanity be the vector for me getting Covid. Shaving usually knocks about ten years off my appearance too, so I can just be vain in a different way.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Remember, folks, you only have to shave the places where your respirator of choice contacts the face.

Many moustaches, goatees, sideburns, even neckbeards can be kept clear of the seal.

I am definitely going to need photographic evidence to believe that a neckbeard can have a deep enough plunge to fit a mask over it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So what is everyone's opinion on the take that by going heavy and hard on the boosters, the west is extending the pandemic by effectively denying/delaying first and second shots to the third world?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Correct imo

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I don't really see this situation improving much either
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCRTbi7VkAAHYLe?format=png&name=small

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mebh posted:

So what is everyone's opinion on the take that by going heavy and hard on the boosters, the west is extending the pandemic by effectively denying/delaying first and second shots to the third world?

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success.

If the West wanted to provide vaccines to the rest of the world, they would have built more manufacturing capacity, but it’s not short‐term profitable, so they didn’t.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In that case, safe to assume that 99% of the population are wearing a cloth or surgical mask when they have to wear one at all.

I think it might actually be a fallacious question in the first place because in a jurisdiction where 90% of people are vaccinated, there's probably a good correlation between people who aren't vaccinated and also don't mask up when they're legally required to.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Platystemon posted:

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success.

If the West wanted to provide vaccines to the rest of the world, they would have built more manufacturing capacity, but it’s not short‐term profitable, so they didn’t.
It's not even really a lack of supply issue, there's like a billion doses in rich countries that won't be used by the end of the year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

In that case, safe to assume that 99% of the population are wearing a cloth or surgical mask when they have to wear one at all.

I think it might actually be a fallacious question in the first place because in a jurisdiction where 90% of people are vaccinated, there's probably a good correlation between people who aren't vaccinated and also don't mask up when they're legally required to.

There’s also the issue of what sort of contact is going on.

The other party’s mask and the other party’s vaccination protect you in different ways.

Cloth masks help a little, but given enough time, indoor environments will be saturated with ærosols, whether or not masks are in use. If those ærosols come from a person infected with SARS‐CoV‐2, you are in trouble.

If I had to share a car with one of the two hypothetical persons all day, vaccinated and unmasked, or coth‐masked and unvaccinated, I would choose the vaccinated person. They are somewhat less likely to be emitting hazardous ærosols that day.

If the period of contact was much shorter, I would choose the masked person.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 25, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oracle posted:

Wasn’t much statistical difference between the two MRNA boosters if you got Pfizer. I think if you had Moderna getting a third Moderna was best but Pfizer wasn’t much worse. J&J definitely Moderna. I forget for AZ because we don’t have it here but I imagine either MRNA is good.

AZ - Moderna is looking to be what you want. Pfizer is still excellent but AZ + Moderna booster is an exceptional vaccination strategy

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

There’s also the issue of what sort of contact is going on.

The other party’s mask and the other party’s vaccination protect you in different ways.

Cloth masks help a little, but given enough time, indoor environments will be saturated with ærosols, whether or not masks are in use. If those ærosols come from a person infected with SARS‐CoV‐2, you are in trouble.

If I had to share a car with one of the two hypothetical persons all day, vaccinated and unmasked, or coth‐masked and unvaccinated, I would choose the vaccinated person. They are somewhat less likely to be emitting hazardous ærosols that day.

If the period of contact was much shorter, I would choose the masked person.

My part of the world has gone from COVID-zero to American-style Constant Personal Risk Assessment in the space of a couple of months and I have to say that if this is what it's like I don't care for it. I'll just accept that we're all going to get COVID at some point and move on with my life. I don't understand how you guys have done this for the past 6 months since your own personal vaccination was possible - it seems exhausting!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mebh posted:

I don't think it makes any difference because all evidence indicates rich countries wouldn't be sending their stockpiled vaccines to the global south anyways.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think it makes any difference because all evidence indicates rich countries wouldn't be sending their stockpiled vaccines to the global south anyways.

That makes sense as a personal decision to get a booster (for sure as an individual it's better to get a booster than let it go to waste if that's what's going to happen), but I'm not as comfortable letting governments / countries off the hook. They do have the power to send their vaccines to other countries, and when we're talking about what countries ought to do, I don't think they should get a pass on hoarding vaccines.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

freebooter posted:

My part of the world has gone from COVID-zero to American-style Constant Personal Risk Assessment in the space of a couple of months and I have to say that if this is what it's like I don't care for it. I'll just accept that we're all going to get COVID at some point and move on with my life. I don't understand how you guys have done this for the past 6 months since your own personal vaccination was possible - it seems exhausting!

It sucks, especially when you have young unvaccinated children at home!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mebh posted:

It's a false dilemma as long as the west is busily chucking doses in dumpsters by the million

It also depends on the assumption that the number of people getting boosted won't be a fraction of the vaccinated population

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fallom posted:

It's a false dilemma as long as the west is busily chucking doses in dumpsters by the million

What makes that dilemma "false"?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Because we have a huge amount of margin before increased vaccine export policies would practically constrain domestic supply even with boosters

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

That makes sense as a personal decision to get a booster (for sure as an individual it's better to get a booster than let it go to waste if that's what's going to happen), but I'm not as comfortable letting governments / countries off the hook. They do have the power to send their vaccines to other countries, and when we're talking about what countries ought to do, I don't think they should get a pass on hoarding vaccines.
I agree, I wasn't letting them off the hook by saying that they don't give a poo poo and don't care much about helping the global south regardless of whether their own populations needed booster doses or not.

They aren't even providing the patents like India and South Africa et al requested.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

freebooter posted:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'd still do any number of terrible things to be able to do personal risk assessment in a country with your vaccination rates and covid policies. My local grocery store this morning had employees openly ignoring the mask mandate, so that was neat. My loving blue state can't even hit 70% vaxxed, we're sitting at 62% fully vaxxed and 66% with at least one shot.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The only way out is to no longer care. The vast majority of people are at this point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

The only way out is to no longer care. The vast majority of people are at this point.

Yeah, and hope that I can avoid any more brushes with hospitalization in the foreseeable future.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

I mean, I responded to that scenario as best I could, but my real answer is to wear an N95 or better and stop caring what everyone else is doing.

I won’t be eating in public for the foreseeable future and that’s that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
People really don't get how bad covid has run in the US.

People talk about how bad other countries are doing and most of them at a fraction of what the good states in the US are at.