Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
does someone make a steel ring enveloped in silicone? that seems like the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah but the whole point of an egg ring is it confines the egg to like 3" or something, not a big floppyass 5.5" monstrosity you gotta flip the edges on to fit on a biscuit.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fair enough- I like more surface area for more crunchiness

E. I was actually able to find the exact one I bought, it was only 4.75”

T-fal Specialty Nonstick One Egg Wonder Fry Pan Cookware, 4.75-Inch, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRUGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KZ8JBXN5N1AEGKA27R0V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

VelociBacon posted:

Hey I like the look of these, which one do you have/like? Are they ceramic?

a yellow one and a blue one. yes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'll take this opportunity to plug my microwave method for poached eggs:

3/4 cup water, ~1/2 Tbsp vinegar, crack 1 egg all in a Mason jar

Swirl jar so the egg is suspended by the moving water. Microwave 30 seconds. Swirl again. 30 seconds. Strain and enjoy!

Tweak the second time to your preference and microwave power and you'll be a happy goon. I tried the other day with two eggs and it took 115 seconds all said, swirling every 30, and it was still eggscellent.

My strainer is stainless so everything goes in the dishwasher and I'm never more than 2 minutes from a drat good egg, including clean up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Option F: learn to love lopsided eggs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I got a Williams-Sonoma butter warmer one year for Christmas as a semi-gag gift. (Imagine a 1/8th scale cooking pot)

As it turns out, it makes a perfect 1 or 2-egg English Muffin-sized patty. Even better, I throw a slice of cheese in there first, let that brown while the eggs are cooking over it and stay soft. Cook, plop on an English Muffin, boom you're done.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any particular recommendations re: pho bowls? Was thinking about just getting a set of 60oz melamine bowls, but didn’t know if anyone had any particular insights

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

Any particular recommendations re: pho bowls? Was thinking about just getting a set of 60oz melamine bowls, but didn’t know if anyone had any particular insights

You might want something that will retain heat better, but size is probably more important.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Brother Tadger posted:

I got these for pho: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPS936M/ and I'm very happy.

fake edit: the large ones

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, unless you've got roommates or kids that are going to throw them around, I'd get ceramic over melamine. Around 60 oz is about right though. I think the ones I have are shallower and wider than the ones Chemmy linked, which I vaguely associate more with phở/bún bò but w/e.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It'd be nice if I could find pho spoons for sale without needing to buy like ten of them. I wouldn't even mind paying a premium for a quality utensil but it seems like mostly it's melamine value packs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Here’s a four pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GFYFGD/

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Go out to eat pho. Keep the spoon. Done.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Murgos posted:

Go out to eat pho. Keep the spoon. Done.

Keep the bowl.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm looking for a beater paring knife. Is Victorinox the way to go?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Happiness Commando posted:

I love my Victorinox paring knife. Think I paid $22 and it works great.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yep. I have a handful of different paring knives and the Victorinox is the one I usually reach for, and only "usually" because I only grab another one if the Victorinox is dirty.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think the victorinox paring is anything special; it's basically the same as any other paring knife, but it's a perfectly good choice.

The 5 inch fibrox chef's knife otoh is great as a utility/petty knife.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

We may be moving into a new place that has a huge kitchen but unfortunately an old, lovely electric stove. Is it worth getting a single induction cooktop to have something with a bit more temperature control?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

We may be moving into a new place that has a huge kitchen but unfortunately an old, lovely electric stove. Is it worth getting a single induction cooktop to have something with a bit more temperature control?

If you can get it for a remotely reasonable price, yes. (Bad) Electric stovetops are so annoying to deal with.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Any recommendations for a single induction stovetop?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any recommendations for a single induction stovetop?

Do you mean a hotplate kinda thing but induction? If I needed one I'd check out my local Asian grocers/supermarkets, I think I've definitely seen some there.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The internet usually recommends Duxtop models. I've had this one on my wishlist for a little bit:

Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop, Countertop Burner Induction Hot Plate with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FLR0ET8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_8KM60SNRAAE4NB7X15FH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine is a Berghoff and I use it for hot pot on a weekly basis. No issues.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The internet usually recommends Duxtop models. I've had this one on my wishlist for a little bit:

Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop, Countertop Burner Induction Hot Plate with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FLR0ET8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_8KM60SNRAAE4NB7X15FH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this one and my dad has the same and both of them cause a very high pitched noise that murders my ears. Clearly a personal issue and I have no idea if other induction cook tops cause it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I bought that one and returned it. The whine is there for 2/3 of my pans, and not just the cheap clad ones.

I then bought the infomercial-like Nuwave and I like it much better!

Be warned, these kinds are not a full range replacement because you're running it on a weak circuit. You can sear and sauté but please don't expect to boil 6 quarts of water for pasta in less than 30 minutes, or get 4 quarts of oil hot enough to deep fry.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Uhh frying is a great use case for one of those cook tops. Sure beats cleaning off my gas range, can use it on a metal table outside.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shallow frying yes. I tried my usual schtick of a gallon of oil and it doesn't get to 350°F with either the Duxtop linked or the Nuwave after 30 minutes of preheating. I tried an all clad and an enameled cast iron for both.

It can probably handle smaller batches just fine but these days I go with the much quicker big gas burner and the cleanup time is less than the heat / recovery / additional batch time of frying outside.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My friend just installed a new oven and these controls are certainly A Thing.

Any guesses on what the difference is between Bake With a Fan (I assume this is convection) and Air Fry?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's loving bizarre because convection cooking (air frying) uses a fan?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

My friend just installed a new oven and these controls are certainly A Thing.

Any guesses on what the difference is between Bake With a Fan (I assume this is convection) and Air Fry?

If it's anything like the Breville, Airfry is going to be a higher fan speed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gonna fry turkies this Turkey Day for the first time in a decade.

Any advancements in the field I should know about, or is it still pot, heat, peanut oil?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Gonna fry turkies this Turkey Day for the first time in a decade.

Any advancements in the field I should know about, or is it still pot, heat, peanut oil?

Fire extinguisher should always be near by. At least the way my friends do it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Fire extinguisher should always be near by. At least the way my friends do it.

Oh yeah I go full Safety Marshall, tape off 10-20 feet away from the fryer, put it away from anything, slowwwwwly lower the turkey in, full sleeve mitten, etc.

I did that once at a neighborhood party and a few of the dads were rolling their eyes at my caution tape. But a couple of kids ran around chasing each other, not looking where they were going, and when one hit the tape running there was the sound of about 100 dads yelling dad grunts at him. Lotta people changed their tune.

I did have a boil-over fire once (like the 2nd time I did it), and that was so quick and so loving scary that I never forgot it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You probably already know this but if it prevents someone from being hurt I don't mind being the piece of poo poo telling you something you already know: It should be a class B or K extinguisher.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
building a wedding registry right now. give me some dope items i may not have thought of that maybe people will buy or not who knows

current stuff: zojirushi induction rice cooker, kitchenaid 7qt mixer

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Bosch Universal Plus or Ankarsrum mixer :rms:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i want an ankarsrum but we talked about different mixer options and we decided to go with 7 qt kitchenaid mixer because it seemed to be more versatile and it looked like it could still handle some of the heavier wet doughs i do. we do have a 40yo 5qt kitchenaid tho so maybe we just need the ankarsrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

barkbell posted:

building a wedding registry right now. give me some dope items i may not have thought of that maybe people will buy or not who knows

current stuff: zojirushi induction rice cooker, kitchenaid 7qt mixer

Congrats on the engagement first of all. Here's some stuff:

Peugot Paris pepper mill (and matching salt mill, they're different devices).

Cast iron pans

Pizza stone

Purpose-built air fryer (not an attachment)

Kitchenaid attachments like the pasta extruder if you think you have the patience

A very nice coffee setup of your choosing