Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

They refer to a specific warning that all the teams were given before this race so they're cracking down extra hard.
3 kids killed this year across the junior classes, they're lucky they didnt add another one or two to that tally this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sure THIS will change the financial reality of the teams and riders, nothing's worked so far but the beatings will continue until etiquette is restored!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the general rule around the front wheel in motorcycle racing? And I'm talking both amateur and pro classes?

I know it's very different (except the two wheels thing), but generally in bicycle racing your front wheel is your responsibility. Yeah they guy who cut you off and moved offline (for whatever reason) is a dick but ultimately it's a race incident because you put your safety in the hands of someone else. Granted how this gets applied is always ymmv, but that's the gist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

What's the general rule around the front wheel in motorcycle racing? And I'm talking both amateur and pro classes?

I know it's very different (except the two wheels thing), but generally in bicycle racing your front wheel is your responsibility. Yeah they guy who cut you off and moved offline (for whatever reason) is a dick but ultimately it's a race incident because you put your safety in the hands of someone else. Granted how this gets applied is always ymmv, but that's the gist.

Generally the guy behind is at fault for any collisions because the guy in front has no idea what's happening behind him.

However on the straights there are specific rules banning weaving and last minute line changes, basically what oncu did is a textbook illegal maneuver that even grass roots racers take for granted as being bad and wrong.

You also can't change lines 'into' someone when you're in the braking zone as it's possible to create a situation where the guy behind you is already braking at the maximum and will be presented with a choice of running off the track or ramming you (zarco/morbidelli in Austria is a textbook scary example of this)

It gets fuzzier at, and especially just past, the apex. In theory whoever's front wheel is most ahead is 'in front' and therefore less culpable for incidents, but because different bikes favour different lines it's possible to have two entirely normal lines that put riders on a collision course. This happens often when the i4 bikes fight the stop-go bikes, it's what contributed to the miller/Mir clash and many, many others. The inability to enforce, or even clarify, the rules around this situation is a large part of the collapse in race direction's credibility and the ensuing general breakdown of racing discipline; in the past the racing just wasn't that close, the bike punished small errors severely, and everyone at the pointy end was experienced and not prone to dumb poo poo maneuvers so the problem took care of itself. The rules and enforcement haven't scaled up to match current technical reality.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 5, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cota sucks, bring Moro gp to Road America you cowards

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Not sure how many folks here interested in MotoE but Energica won't be making bikes for them after next year.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/10/19/energica-to-end-era-as-single-motoe-manufacturer-after-2022/397461

I doubt the racing class will go away, maybe KTM will pick up the slack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the plan was to diversify it to multiple manufacturers after the initial single make period. Idk how true that still is, or even how successful moto-e has been from dorna's perspective; if I were staring down the barrel of permanently reduced crowd numbers, the supporting classes would be the first to get the chop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I liked watching the E races. Much like Moto3 how interesting they were was completely dependent on the track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gotta say this one took me completely by surprise. Ducati becomes motoE constructor

How do you even develop an entire electric bike in 12 months? How many of them will burst into flame (it's all of them)? I will admit I'm much more likely to watch, now.

Oh and Darren binder has leveraged the greatest rules lawyering of all time to get himself a petronas motoGP seat, almost certainly the least deserved since Xavier Simeon. I miss having Karel Abraham and yonny Hernandez around, they made for such a good wooden spoon benchmark.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2021

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Oh and Darren binder has leveraged the greatest rules lawyering of all time to get himself a petronas motoGP seat, almost certainly the least deserved since Xavier Simeon. I miss having Karel Abraham and yonny Hernandez around, they made for such a good wooden spoon benchmark.

I admit I've been tuning out a lot between races this year but had no idea binder was even in the conversation for that seat. also I guess they finally worked out the name change https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/yamaha-announces-2022-motogp-deal-with-rebranded-rnf-team/6696120/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Binder hada contract with johan stigefelt to step up to moto2 regardless of his results (what a great idea!). With petronas folding and the moto2 team disappearing, and a bit of managerial moxy, that turned into a GP seat. I thought it was all over when stigefelt parted ways with razali and the team but I guess not? Gonna be a weird season.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Keep MotoGP weird! The last two seasons have been fun as hell to watch. A couple years of "Marquez gets out front early and stays there" was getting tiresome.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has Alex Marquez tried not crashing for one race weekend?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Has Alex Marquez tried not crashing for one race weekend?

He spent his whole first season not crashing!

Then someone told him racing is about being faster than the other guys and he remembered he sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Italian manufacturer to supply electric bikes for race series” practically writes its own headlines

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Energica is also Italian! But yeah this seems like it will be disastrous, unless somehow Ducati has a very maturely developed electric bike they managed to keep completely secret?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to predict they'll do the laziest most Ducati thing possible: buy a bunch of energica drivetrains and try to build a better bike around them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally just rebadged energicas

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Claudio domenicali is making noises about how electric bikes are too heavy and they're going to make them much lighter!!

Now some facts.

Fact one: domenicali is a notorious idiot who tends to gently caress up everything he comes into direct contact with, a non-comprehensive list:

Capirossi-era everything
Lorenzo's contract
Stoner everything
Dovi's contract

Fact two: electric bike weight is largely set by physics, there are no major gains left to make short of a revolutionary breakthrough in battery technology

Fact three: Ducati make claims first, work out how to meet them later

Fact four: developing an entire new motorcycle even with an existing petrol engine takes 3-5 years, more if it uses any kind of exotic or novel technology

Combine these facts and you have a recipe for a clownshow of epic proportions!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can't wait to see those wacky races.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone watch qualifying today? Holy hell were they having problems with crashing in those mixed conditions. Even with all the complaints about the track surface in TX, there weren't as many crashes as they've had this weekend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Anyone watch qualifying today? Holy hell were they having problems with crashing in those mixed conditions. Even with all the complaints about the track surface in TX, there weren't as many crashes as they've had this weekend.

I think Michelin hosed up the allocation a little so when the tyres are cold they're really loving cold and misano is known for having poor mechanical grip.

They're using the same tyres as last time despite the weather being considerably colder, race should be interesting.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

I think Michelin hosed up the allocation a little so when the tyres are cold they're really loving cold and misano is known for having poor mechanical grip.

They're using the same tyres as last time despite the weather being considerably colder, race should be interesting.

They had 10 crashes in Moto2 qualifying 1 alone, those run the dunlops IIRC, but yeah, any time they tires got even little cold, fronts ends just going away all over the place.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/10/22/new-age-limit-and-entry-list-rules-introduced-from-2022/397693
my original post was pointless after I read the article and now I'm just annoyed at the broadcast for confusing me about the age limit making riders already in the series lose rides.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 24, 2021

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Skreemer posted:

Yeah, came away from it feeling really disappointed. Feeling it for the riders who just couldn't buy a good run owing to the yellow flags.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
no loving way

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
That was tense. I thought Bastianini was going to skittle Fabio on that last lap.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I do gotta give it to bastianini though he's definitely come a long way from ramming zarco on the warm up lap

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Quartararo can put in the work and slice up the field when he needs to, big kudos to him. Well deserved champion from what I saw this season. First season watching motogp again in 5+ years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Me, watching pre race bullshit: DON'T GO FOR THE HARD TIRE YOU MORONS YOU'LL JUST CRASH

Ducati, after both their riders DNF from a wrong strategy I could see from my couch: allora :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:stare: Never a dull moment in 2021.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Me, watching pre race bullshit: DON'T GO FOR THE HARD TIRE YOU MORONS YOU'LL JUST CRASH

Ducati, after both their riders DNF from a wrong strategy I could see from my couch: allora :shrug:

Also Martin as well

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Also Martin as well

I didn't catch that, poor guy got sucked into a classic Ducati management rider sabotage scheme. He'll learn.

Riders and team: we can win this one, maybe even a one-two with jack, we have the speed and quartararo is way back

Ducati management: we could do that, or we could WIN BY A THIRTY SECOND MARGIN AND LEAVE THEM FOR DEAD if we gamble on the hard and the weather warms up!!!

Both riders crash

Ducati management: we expect more consistency from Jack

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Slavvy posted:

Both riders crash

Ducati management: we expect more consistency from Jack/Lorenzo/Dovi/Rossi

Ducati 101

and at least even though the race wasn't all that, the championship outcome was the right one for the season.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

lmao what was that graphic and dance after Q got the golden helmet?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I didn't catch that, poor guy got sucked into a classic Ducati management rider sabotage scheme. He'll learn.

Riders and team: we can win this one, maybe even a one-two with jack, we have the speed and quartararo is way back

Ducati management: we could do that, or we could WIN BY A THIRTY SECOND MARGIN AND LEAVE THEM FOR DEAD if we gamble on the hard and the weather warms up!!!

Both riders crash

Ducati management: we expect more consistency from Jack

Ive been pretty harsh on Millers' performance but the fact that it wasn't his call and yet he took the flak for it is some BS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the third time miller has crashed because the team overrode him on tyre strategy.

I don't think Miller is Good Enough but Ducati's dumbfuck mismanaging hasn't helped him.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Indeed. Predicting Ducati will grind him down and spit him out just like they did to Dovi

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's funny because there's been some rumbling about swapping him for martin and running him in a crutchlow style factory-lite development/picking up the pieces when the factory team fails role, it's like they want to do the smart thing, but they also have the attention span of a hyperactive toddler and will just immediately jettison him for the latest moto 2 flash in the pan, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ducati never learns, do they?