Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Beat this in 10:21, went back and got 100%, am working on my <4 hour run. Managed to almost mess up the final escape, because somehow it didn't occur to me that "hyper beam everything" is what I was supposed to do.. Only times I really got lost were immediately after grapple beam and space jump. The only shinespark puzzle I needed to look up was the top-left of Ferenia.

Super fun to play, liked it way more than Samus Returns. Movement and bosses are standouts. The bosses in particular feel dark-souls-ish in that they wipe the floor with you at first until you learn their patterns. I'm fine with the controls, maybe because I tend to blame myself for when I grapple instead of shooting a missile.

The story is serviceable, though I kind of like that they're leaning into body horror. I mostly like the EMMIs but they're a little too brute-forceable, at least until the last couple.

Kind of want the next game to jettison the Chozo, Space Pirates, and Metroids and send Samus somewhere new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Kind of want the next game to jettison the Chozo, Space Pirates, and Metroids and send Samus somewhere new.

Yeah I'm interested in where they go now. If the metroids are truly gone, I guess the focus will shift to the X parasite?

It would be nice to see them pick up the plot threads they left at the end of Fusion, but apparently the Federation forgave her actions so I dunno. They could still make her a fugitive, maybe now the Chozo and the Federation both decide to bring her in for her metroid DNA so she's on the lam from both.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh this? This is a brand new enemy, netroids. Do not steal.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah I'm interested in where they go now. If the metroids are truly gone, I guess the focus will shift to the X parasite?

It would be nice to see them pick up the plot threads they left at the end of Fusion, but apparently the Federation forgave her actions so I dunno. They could still make her a fugitive, maybe now the Chozo and the Federation both decide to bring her in for her metroid DNA so she's on the lam from both.

Apparently the fugitive stuff stemmed from a simple, minor mistranslation of some lines in Fusion that really blew up over the last 20 years; the group in Fusion was a super fringe Federation group that operated in secret from the larger Galactic Federation, so to be honest Samus might have been doing them a favor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

We literally just had two games focused on the X parasite, I'm pretty sure we're done with them too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Updog Scully posted:

Isn't it to extract the Metroid DNA from her body? Or am I wrong? That laser beam he shot at her in the opening cutscene did not look DNA-friendly.

He was going to take the metroid dna from her corpse and make more metroids, but when she started to evolve, he got a dose of the old hubris and was like "Why just metroids when I could have my own army of SAMUSes?" And again if he had not hubris'd himself on not fixing his helmet he would have won in the end since he was smart enough to make his suit metroid energy drain and presumably X proof.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Regy Rusty posted:

We literally just had two games focused on the X parasite, I'm pretty sure we're done with them too.

except the chozo ships that are missing at the end that were definitely piloted by x infected chozo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
i put the game down for a bit after getting the dash and varia suit. i explored a,b,c,d zones, picked up a bunch of missiles (no energy tanks though) and found i could make it to the orange teleporter, which opened a new area, which let me get the pulse radar and thats it? seems like a bummer. i dont have the speedbooster, super missiles, grav suit, power bombs, or cross bombs and im not sure where the next area i should go is.

i assume speedbooster is the key item, but no idea where it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AtomikKrab posted:

He was going to take the metroid dna from her corpse and make more metroids, but when she started to evolve, he got a dose of the old hubris and was like "Why just metroids when I could have my own army of SAMUSes?" And again if he had not hubris'd himself on not fixing his helmet he would have won in the end since he was smart enough to make his suit metroid energy drain and presumably X proof.

He seems to have it doubled it up. He set up the EMMI as obstacles to overcome so she would awaken Metroid powers. However if they killed her, they would have just stolen the Metroid DNA and he would have gone with his original plan.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tonberi posted:

Early space jump also makes early screw attack possible without shine-clipping through a floor somewhere, which has the added bonus effect of glitching out the Adam rooms so you no longer have to talk to him :allears:

Yeah but that's into the realm of non-intended sequence breaking doing tricks to bomb-jump underwater and such. I was talking about it from a non-speedrunner perspective of just using the toolkit as intended.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Amppelix posted:

raven beak's plan was literally to lure samus to the planet and instantly kill her once she arrives. and he also literally succeeded at that but then got undone by his own hubris at the last second as he saw that samus had the capability to become a metroid and he devised this whole scheme where oops samus turns into the most powerful being in the galaxy and kills him. didn't see that one coming.

“The risk I took was calculated.”
“But man, I am bad at math.”
- Raven Beak’s final thoughts, probably

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

“The risk I took was calculated.”
“But man, I am bad at math.”
- Raven Beak’s final thoughts, probably

Nah

it was

I shouldn't have killed the helmet repair guy until AFTER he fixed my helmet

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

AtomikKrab posted:

Nah

it was

Actually, his real final thoughts were gently caress gently caress WHY DIDN’T I GIVE MYSELF MORHBALL BOMBS OW loving METROIDS OW poo poo OW

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As ZDR Raven Beak X explodes, Morgan Freeman narration begins. "I'd like to think the last thing that went through that birds head, other than that beam was how the hell this was someone elses falt other than his"

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
yo why is robot chorizo warrior so hard, why come it's making me fight TWO chorizo robot. i can't beat them, it's too hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

yo why is robot chorizo warrior so hard, why come it's making me fight TWO chorizo robot. i can't beat them, it's too hard.

Use your new toy, the storm missiles. It tears em up

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Strangely I didn't have an issue with the 2 Choco Robot fights, I had problems with the 2 solo fights since they were in tinier spaces that didn't seem to allow much room to evade their big attacks.

I'd say use the room size to your advantage, keep distance and blast whoever gets in line of sight.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

My advice as someone really bad at the game, is to fight the chorizo without honor and play as cheesy frustratingly as possible. As if your purpose is to make someone rage quit in a pvp match.

Which in my case means forcing them to chase me in circles around platforms and popping them with charge shots + missiles as soon as they got into line of sight and bailing with flash shift to reward their sisyphean effort.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Colorspray posted:

My advice as someone really bad at the game, is to fight the chorizo without honor and play as cheesy frustratingly as possible. As if your purpose is to make someone rage quit in a pvp match.

Which in my case means forcing them to chase me in circles around platforms and popping them with charge shots + missiles as soon as they got into line of sight and bailing with flash shift to reward their sisyphean effort.

Have you been watching over my shoulder or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AtomikKrab posted:

Nah

it was

We actually have his final thoughts. It was "Power requires sacrifice!" he says that as the giant X monster.

Amppelix posted:

raven beak's plan was literally to lure samus to the planet and instantly kill her once she arrives. and he also literally succeeded at that but then got undone by his own hubris at the last second as he saw that samus had the capability to become a metroid and he devised this whole scheme where oops samus turns into the most powerful being in the galaxy and kills him. didn't see that one coming.

He still seemed sure he could win until the Parasite got him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jump and phase shift over their heads and tauntingly shoot them with missiles while you laugh at their complete inability to do anything to you.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

We actually have his final thoughts. It was "Power requires sacrifice!" he says that as the giant X monster.

He still seemed sure he could win until the Parasite got him.

Even if he beat Metroid Trigger Samus, what the gently caress would even be his plan at that point? ADAM probably wouldn’t even have let him on the ship, his planet was exploding with all of his research, and the X infesting the planet now was kind of his fault. But he was ready to go for Round 3 anyway

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MechaX posted:

Even if he beat Metroid Trigger Samus, what the gently caress would even be his plan at that point? ADAM probably wouldn’t even have let him on the ship, his planet was exploding with all of his research, and the X infesting the planet now was kind of his fault. But he was ready to go for Round 3 anyway

He may know the location of some extra Chozo ships to escape with, all he would have to do is bring Samus' corpse with him and he could still win. Though the closest ones were gone at that point.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'd like to think that the planet blowing up was actually a failsafe that was checking for raven beak being alive. If it senses that he's dead, it just triggers the auto-destruct sequence of the planet that by now is standard-issue

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Just finished the game. Loved it, this may actually be a top 2 Metroid game for me, right behind Prime 1.

Few thoughts:

-Gameplay was smooth and fluid, EMMI sections were great. I don't know how much of MercurySteam comprised of people who worked on older 2D Metroid titles, if at all, but I definitely trust them with the franchise moving forward.
-Bosses were hard but it felt so satisfying once you figure them out. Would not have minded a boss health bar for them though. Final boss was a perfect mix of fun and difficult and was very satisfying to beat.
-Only real negative I have that stuck out was that the music was kind of unremarkable, which was kind of a shame since the Metroid series overall has a lot of bangers. Also the ending could've used an epilogue or something that shows Samus taking off her helmet if you 100% the game or something. Kinda disappointed we didn't really get anything like that.
-100%ing this game was also pretty fun although some of the shinespark puzzles were hard as hell and not exactly intuitive. I love the QOL stuff they added to help with 100%ing the game like flashing sections of the map that have hidden items, markers, and the Pulse Radar. Bombing every little map square to try to find hissden blocks was bullshit and I'm glad they made it easier.
-Ending thoughts: The Metroid suit was very cool and for a moment I really thought this was how Samus' design was going to be like going forward in the series. Then Quiet Robe X came and I guess neutralized Samus' Metroid DNA? So is she still part Metroid since her suit reverted back to her normal half-Metroid DNA suit or is she completely Metroid free now? Did it just rollback her transformation to before the energy sapping powers became a thing? I kind of would like to see that energy sapping come back as a gameplay mechanic in future Metroid titles.
-Overall, this was the 2D Metroid game I've been waiting for for years and it did not disappoint. Definitely my personal GOTY.

Any word on if there could be a sequel on the horizon if Dread does well?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 25, 2021

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mr. Funktastic posted:

-Ending thoughts: The Metroid suit was very cool and for a moment I really thought this was how Samus' design was going to be like going forward in the series. Then Quiet Robe X came and I guess neutralized Samus' Metroid DNA? So is she still part Metroid since her suit reverted back to her normal half-Metroid DNA suit or is she completely Metroid free now? Did it just rollback her transformation to before the energy sapping powers became a thing? I kind of would like to see that energy sapping come back as a gameplay mechanic in future Metroid titles.
The most sensible logic to me is that by absorbing the QR-X she gained/strengthened the Thoha ability of controlling metroids, letting her revert to her "normal" form and not passively eating everything she touches. As well as creating the possibility of it being a mechanic she can trigger at will in a future game.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Metroid powers would make for a pretty natural extension of how the Counter mechanic currently works. A successful counter already primes you to instantly kill an enemy for extra resources, so all that needs to be done changing the counter to a grab that automatically kills and absorbs the enemy.

They would also work as a flashier way of getting a boss's upgrade when you kill it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CandyCrazy posted:

Metroid powers would make for a pretty natural extension of how the Counter mechanic currently works. A successful counter already primes you to instantly kill an enemy for extra resources, so all that needs to be done changing the counter to a grab that automatically kills and absorbs the enemy.

They would also work as a flashier way of getting a boss's upgrade when you kill it.

this is exactly what i'm hoping for with the next game :pray:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Gruckles posted:

The most sensible logic to me is that by absorbing the QR-X she gained/strengthened the Thoha ability of controlling metroids, letting her revert to her "normal" form and not passively eating everything she touches. As well as creating the possibility of it being a mechanic she can trigger at will in a future game.

That makes sense. If she's still part Metroid then future Metroid games can do this:

CandyCrazy posted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of them dies a lot easier and quicker than the other. Focus storm missiling on the darker one while focusing on not getting hit. Then when it dies, the other goes down like a chump.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I ever remembered to use the storm missile outside the doors it opens.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I hope one day they just go buck wild and give us a Metroid game where we start off with all the upgrades from the last game and then get a full new game of poo poo crowbarred in on top of it.

20 E-tanks, Ultra Missiles, Lava Missiles, just straight up flight etc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just beat the game, 100% in 11:15:54. Last couple of bosses were pretty fun and I really liked the finally mopping up of items to collect. Are there any bonus cinematics at the end for getting a low time?

Anyone else really disappointed with the soundtrack? There isn't a single good piece of music in it and a lot of it sounds like it was for a Pikmin title, it really didn't fit Metroid. Not a single catchy jingle and Metroid's always had them, what the hell happened in this regard.

Time to dig into some Speed Runs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was gonna say Metroid might turn into a shmup, then reminded that Prime 3 was going to have gunship sections. (hence the otherwise useless Ship Missile upgrades)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CandyCrazy posted:

I could see it being something like absorbing the enemies energy with Metroid powers, fuels the Metroid Suit and the Hyper Beam to unleash all the energy she has absorbed so far.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think I ever remembered to use the storm missile outside the doors it opens.

You keep your targets through slides and phase shifts, so it's actually pretty useful in fights.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Storm Missiles also pierces i-frames which can destroy certain bosses that have a lot of those.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Storm Missiles absolutely ruin their day

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, I've only played the first hour or so, like up to the first proper boss (that thing that turns invisible) and this loving slaps, but i'm having a hard time switching from tight pixel platforming with d-pad and 3 buttons to joystick and 7 buttons lol. I'll get used to it soon, but it's such a different feeling to go from 4 pretty 'rigid' games to something insanely smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Experimenting with joystick control with Dread. It feels awesome!

One problem: No left thumbstick button (pushing the thumbstick down). The controller is not compatible with the remapping feature in the system’s settings. Is there any USB adapter the reconfigures controller input sent to the Switch? I’m using a Mayflash F101.