Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The real answer is it should present you with 3 corruption cards and make the players vote on which one to take instead of the other 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That would be cool but time consuming considering the game is giving us like 6 or 7 corruption cards every round now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had one pub very angry screaming "why did one of you pick that corruption card???" in one match. Some aspects of the whole "card" thing aren't quite made clear to people.

This is why i refuse to judge the design of a game based on pubs.

Because pubs are loving morons.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I must be weirdly lucky that the 3 times I have played this without a group of goons, all of the pubbies I have gotten were cool and also decent at the game.

where can I find goons to play with?

I have a regular friend thing but that's once a week, in between I wouldn't mind grinding supply points here and there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

I have a regular friend thing but that's once a week, in between I wouldn't mind grinding supply points here and there.

We just use a PSN chat thread to coordinate generally. Are you on PS?

If not you send me your B4B ID# and I can add you to my friends list and at least shoot you an invite if I see you on.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like instead of having corruption cards be the default it would have been cooler to make them some sort of risk/reward thing. Like, just give people the option to play with no cards for very little cash, or stack 10 on at once and make the game insanely hard but you get a bunch of money if you hit the safe house.

Alternately a chance to reroll would be nice. Even if it was just once per checkpoint or whatever. You can just do it anyways by backing out and restarting, just save me the 3 minutes it takes to set a new game up.

No because some gently caress(s) would start griefing almost immediately

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had one pub very angry screaming "why did one of you pick that corruption card???" in one match. Some aspects of the whole "card" thing aren't quite made clear to people.

There's some key stuff that the game just doesn't tell you about at all.
The checking of your weapon mods equipped, being able to use the knife melee when you're carrying the supply box in Act 1, the fact that a red colored mod is actually a debuff, and some other stuff I'm sure I'm missing.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

veni veni veni posted:

We just use a PSN chat thread to coordinate generally.

Can you add me to that? I’m rabble510

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

There's a bunch of goons playing on the old Marvel Heroes discord.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

finished act 1 after getting into probably the best rando group ever. i joined mid run and they had gone all in on item slots and dropped a bunch of cash for me and the other new guy at the start. we rolled into each mission with everyone carrying 4-5 pipebombs and were prettymuch unstoppable. i wish the game wouldnt have disbanded everyone at the end of the act because we could have gone alot farther.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm having trouble coping with the pace of the game when I find weapons/attachments in the field, but don't have the time to really examine pros and cons of weapon type, ammo type, relative power, attachments gained and lost, and how that will affect the playthrough, when the game won't stop for a second to let me get my bearings. We have specials coming at us nonstop, chipping away on health and ammo, while we work through the calculus. Many times I hosed myself over by grabbing a primary and secondary weapon that uses the same ammo, or picking up a gun that didn't mesh with my chosen cards, etc. because I felt rushed as hell. I've died many times in loot rooms I unlocked with a toolkit.

In the safe rooms it works out OK because you can sit in the shop as long as you need, although choice is limited.

I feel like they jammed together the fast-pace gaming of a run and gun shooter, which I enjoy, but pasted in a Borderlands or RPG style of loot and attachments (with the added humor of green/blue/purple etc.) that is best enjoyed when you have a minute or two to breathe and work out what you're going to carry.

How are you guys coping with that? Do you have any rules of thumb you follow or are you just fast enough to make those snap decisions on the fly?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

finished act 1 after getting into probably the best rando group ever. i joined mid run and they had gone all in on item slots and dropped a bunch of cash for me and the other new guy at the start. we rolled into each mission with everyone carrying 4-5 pipebombs and were prettymuch unstoppable. i wish the game wouldnt have disbanded everyone at the end of the act because we could have gone alot farther.

If you go into the social tab, you can see "recent players" and send friend requests to anyone from the last game you were in

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm having trouble coping with the pace of the game when I find weapons/attachments in the field, but don't have the time to really examine pros and cons of weapon type, ammo type, relative power, attachments gained and lost, and how that will affect the playthrough, when the game won't stop for a second to let me get my bearings. We have specials coming at us nonstop, chipping away on health and ammo, while we work through the calculus. Many times I hosed myself over by grabbing a primary and secondary weapon that uses the same ammo, or picking up a gun that didn't mesh with my chosen cards, etc. because I felt rushed as hell. I've died many times in loot rooms I unlocked with a toolkit.

In the safe rooms it works out OK because you can sit in the shop as long as you need, although choice is limited.

I feel like they jammed together the fast-pace gaming of a run and gun shooter, which I enjoy, but pasted in a Borderlands or RPG style of loot and attachments (with the added humor of green/blue/purple etc.) that is best enjoyed when you have a minute or two to breathe and work out what you're going to carry.

How are you guys coping with that? Do you have any rules of thumb you follow or are you just fast enough to make those snap decisions on the fly?

You’re overthinking the guns and mods. There aren’t that many of either. I know what weapons I’m looking for and what mods I want before the run even starts.

Very broadly, if my weapon doesn’t have a mod or I found a higher rarity mod I just take it sight unseen unless I’m playing a build that relies on mods to cover its weakness, like you’re running snipers and you NEED ADS speed up.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I mean mostly beta experience here but

The loot pool is pretty limited. After a few runs you get better at comparing gun types and there are some you're just never going to take. Also you're not going to lose a run because you did or did not take an attachment. Stakes are low.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Games doing a real good job of pointing out who gets decision paralysis :v:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

There's some key stuff that the game just doesn't tell you about at all.
The checking of your weapon mods equipped, being able to use the knife melee when you're carrying the supply box in Act 1, the fact that a red colored mod is actually a debuff, and some other stuff I'm sure I'm missing.

It's Quebec's fault. They killed the game manual.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the waypointing in this game is genuinely atrocious. i've wiped several times now on Abandoned because it's so awful at telling you where to go and what to do, and even if it does, it's just vague enough about it to make things even worse

my team spent ages gunning down the zombies coming out of mineshafts because the game didn't tell us they could be blown up until we took another half-dozen steps forward, and then we got wiped by even more infinite waves because the other shafts we could see didn't have any obvious ways of sealing them up. for some reason the explosive barrels only spawned beside the first two

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Throw your own explosives into them like a grenade. I agree that the game could be more forthcoming about being able to do that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Throw your own explosives into them like a grenade. I agree that the game could be more forthcoming about being able to do that.

it actively obfuscates it by spawning the barrels in front of the first few that you encounter! augh!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If choosing weapons and mods is difficult (and I think it will get easier for you as you play the game more and these decisions take less and less "mental bandwidth" ), you could always decide on a build ahead of time and not change out anything that isn't an upgrade.

On that note, here's a rundown of the guns I made for myself, based on that website that was posted earlier:

There are three qualities I judge a gun by in B4B, its per shot damage (measured by whether or not it can kill 20, 25, or 30 HP ridden with one bullet), its DPS (how much damage it does until the magazine is empty), and the Sustained DPS (how much damage it does over a long period of time, factoring in reloading).

Per shot DPS.
At White rarity:
20 HP
Ranch Rifle semi-automatic assault rifle

25 HP
Desert Eagle pistol

30 HP
M1A sniper rifle

At Purple rarity:
20 HP
AK assault rifle

25 HP
Scar assault rifle, Ranch Rifle

30 HP
RPK light machine gun, M1A, Desert Eagle

The DPS and Sustained DPS I only checked at purple rarity, but as far as I know the weapons will generally retain the same relative values, meaning a gun that has more DPS or Sustained DPS at purple will also have more at white. The notable exception is the SCAR and the RPK ; the Scar has better damage stats than the RPK at White Rarity, but the RPK gains slightly more per-bullet damage as the rarity increases.

I personally feel, between DPS and sustained DPS, the later is more important for your "main" gun, meaning the one you'll be using most of the time, because, barring specific builds involving the Admin Reload card, when you're in a serious fight you'll generally be firing, reloading, and firing again, as quickly as you can. "Regular" DPS, which I call per-magazine DPS, is a good judge of how much one gun will outpace another if you pull them both out and start blasting, which makes it a particularly good value for deciding how a gun will do in an emergency; guns with higher per-magazine DPS will kill the tallboy grabbing your friend very quickly, even if their lower sustained DPS makes them worse choices for prolonged firefights.

DPS:

~ 150 DPS
Ranch Rifle, Desert Eagle

~ 200 DPS
RPK, M1A, Auto Glock pistol

~250 DPS
AK, Scar, Vector submachine gun, UMP submachine gun, TAC 14 shotgun

~500 DPS
AA12 automatic shotgun*

Sustained DPS:
~ 70 S. DPS
Auto Glock, Desert Eagle

~100 S. DPS
AK, Scar, RPK, UMP, M1A, 870

~ 150 S. DPS
Tac 14, AA12*

* I actually wrote "automatic shotguns" but I'm really note sure if I checked the Super 90 because I rarely use it.

Conclusions:

Once you factor in reloading, you'll notice most of the guns have a much more similar "sustained DPS" than you might think. Generally, I prioritize guns that give me a combination of high sustained DPS and enough damage to kill basic Ridden in one torso shot. Also note that the Glock 23 Auto and the Desert Eagle are basically* the only two handguns worth using; nothing else has their damage output.

*The sawed off double barrel shotgun called "The Belgian" has very good DPS, but it's sustained DPS isn't great and, like all the shotguns, you're really going to see these numbers if you're very close. The Belgian is terrible for dealing with a steady stream of ridden because it effectively has to be reloaded after ever shot.

Viewing all of this together, my "short list" of best guns are AK, Scar, RPK for primaries and Desert Eagle and Auto Glock for secondaries. The M1A sniper rifle is also OK, particularly early in the game if you're trying to find a way to kill 25 HP ridden with White weapons, but the limited ammo supply of Sniper Rifles limits the M1A for general horde control. The AA12, Vector, UMP, and Tac 14 can be situationally good, but only if you think you'll pull them out at close or medium range to finish off a mutation, which can be the case when using either the card "Two is One" or melee builds.

Final Ranking:

Marginal:

The Vector, UMP, AA12, and Tac14 can be useful, especially if you're only using them occasionally or your build is going to place up close. But if they're your only primary weapon and you're not at the front of the fight, they're going to do worse than the numbers suggest. The M1A will give you very heavy per shot damage, even at long range, but you'll notice it's per-magazine DPS is a bit low. Furthermore, ammo will be a problem since you're basically using a sniper rifle as if it was an assault rifle. The Auto Glock pairs very, very well with the M1A both because they're useful at different ranges and use different ammunition Any of these primaries would make a good compliment to an assault rifle if you were using the "two is one" card

Good:
The AK, and the RPK both have to recommend them; they deal high damage both per magazine and in sustained fire, they aren't plagued by either range limitations like the shotguns and SMGs or ammo limitations like the M1A. However, RPK's low rate of fire gives it a lower per-magazine DPS. Also, like all LMGs the RPK doesn't fire well without ADS, and it's ADS is noticeably slower than the assault rifles.

Best Secondary:
The Desert Eagle, no question. It has the most per-shot damage, the same sustained DPS as the auto glock, only slightly worse per-magazine DPS, and much more range. I will say the Auto Glock still isn't bad, so in reality I tend to take either rather than hold out for one specific gun.

Best Primary
The real ultimate gun is the SCAR ; and comparing it to the AK, RPK, and the M1A can explain why. Compared to the AK, the Scar has much more per-bullet DPS; a Scar needs only +16 damage to provide a one-shot-kill on 30HP ridden. When compared to the RPK and the M1A, the SCAR has much more per-magazine DPS, without sacrificing its per-bullet damage.

So, grab a Scar and a Desert Eagle if you can and just keep them.

Edit: Oh, the Ranch Rifle is in these listings but nowhere in my conclusions because it was my favorite gun before I looked at the numbers but now I never use it because the SCAR does everything it does while also having much higher DPS :shrug:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SettingSun posted:

You’re overthinking the guns and mods. There aren’t that many of either. I know what weapons I’m looking for and what mods I want before the run even starts.

It seems dismissive but this is the answer right here. Play the game more, get some more cards, and eventually you'll understand what you need and when.

I usually run Shotgun Jesus as another poster described it and that doesn't use ADS so I ignore everything but shotguns, extended barrels, and move speed attachments. ADS move speed doesn't matter and whether reload speed or mag size is better I find is a toss up. This game is way more random then it lets on so sometimes I can only find a Tac-4 which I think it garbage or I might not find a shotgun for a few maps and have to do my best without ADS. When my only options are bolt action snipers it gets even stupider sniping guys without ADS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gonger posted:

Can you add me to that? I’m rabble510

Will do.

someone said earlier in the thread that running veteran with two bots is easy mode and they weren’t kidding. We were just breezing through stuff that was tough as hell with 4 people last night. We finally wiped at the very last part of act 1. The bots just don’t defend you enough while loading the shells which made that part a pain. We still got 5 out of 6 of them off, but it was just too chaotic.

The bots seem over tuned tbh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oxxidation posted:

it actively obfuscates it by spawning the barrels in front of the first few that you encounter! augh!!

That's to give you a hint if you weren't paying attention earlier in the level when they tell you that you can't stand and fight at the mines.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

dogstile posted:

That's to give you a hint if you weren't paying attention earlier in the level when they tell you that you can't stand and fight at the mines.

The problem is that the game tends to not tell you stuff until you're already in a combat situation, so their radio messages sound more like:

Heads up, Cleaners. You can't *blam* rrrraaarrrrggggg ridden are CRUSHER BEHIND US! so you'll need to *rat tat tat tat* and *beep beep beep BOOM* in the tunnels with ANYONE WANT THIS SHOTGUN? Good luck!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

On that note, here's a rundown of the guns I made for myself, based on that website that was posted earlier:

not just saying this because you're one of my regular b4b group, but good writeup

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

not just saying this because you're one of my regular b4b group, but good writeup

Agreed.

I just hope once the community does the same math we don't have people obsessed over getting the "best" guns. It can already be a game of "everybody races to the gun box".

With pubs in the beta I would deliberately let them take whatever they wanted first and make due with the leftovers which was actually kind of fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know why the trophy wouldn't pop for someone in my group who has finished act 1 veteran? I didn't play the whole thing with him, but it popped for me and not him. He did play through every checkpoint though. I was hosting.

Also lol only 2% of players have finished act 1 veteran on PS5.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Agreed.

I just hope once the community does the same math we don't have people obsessed over getting the "best" guns. It can already be a game of "everybody races to the gun box".

With pubs in the beta I would deliberately let them take whatever they wanted first and make due with the leftovers which was actually kind of fun.

The color coding seems to have people duped into thinking it's a loot game when it's not. The rarity of everything scales as the levels go on. There's plenty of good guns for all. It all disappears if you wipe or complete a chapter. You might even just have to trash a great gun for a crappy one that you have ammo for on the fly. it's all disposable and you don't get to keep anything. Even a basic rear end gray gun with no attachments will get the job done, but people see those colors and think it's Diablo lol.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Man, playing act 1 after progging the end of act 3 brings into stark contrast how much early guns suck. I got used to easily firing-squadding down groups of bruisers in act 3, then we get curbstomped by a single tallboy in act 1 because everyone's guns and attachments are a mix of white and green. Consumables are always important, but they're so much more important early in the campaign.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

veni veni veni posted:

The color coding seems to have people duped into thinking it's a loot game when it's not. The rarity of everything scales as the levels go on. There's plenty of good guns for all. It all disappears if you wipe or complete a chapter. You might even just have to trash a great gun for a crappy one that you have ammo for on the fly. it's all disposable and you don't get to keep anything. Even a basic rear end gray gun with no attachments will get the job done, but people see those colors and think it's Diablo lol.

Yeah after reading everyone's replies here and getting deeper into the game I see this now. I was misled by the color coding, no doubt. I noticed as you go deeper into a map set the guns just start going green, blue, purple, etc. then you just lose it all for the next set anyway.

The mods are still awkward, though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

veni veni veni posted:

This sounds like bad game design, tbh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No? Why is that bad? You can use the colors to know when to swap something out without even thinking about it in a game where you are almost constantly being attacked and need to move forward.

It's almost like anti-loot in that way, even if it looks like loot. You see a gold extended fast mag and go "gently caress yeah" and grab it without thinking twice and just go back to shooting zombies only more efficiently. It's not there for digital hoarding though it's just there to make the level easier and also don't grab poo poo that is going to be better for one of your teammates than yourself. Anyone trying to min/max should get team killed lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 25, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It’s a bad game, movement and gunplay feel like poo poo and it’s ugly as hell on top of everything else.

They somehow made something that plays worse than an ancient half life mod

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wheeee posted:

It’s a bad game, movement and gunplay feel like poo poo and it’s ugly as hell on top of everything else.

They somehow made something that plays worse than an ancient half life mod

Have you considered that you might just be a moron?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

B4B owns bitch

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

No? Why is that bad?

If you're using a common game language in a way that's different from its established meaning and people are getting confused because of it, that's bad game design, or at least something that should have been pointed out in the betas.

It seems like B4B is full of these little things, nothing is game breaking, but they add up to a frustrating experience for a lot of people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This sounds like bad game design, tbh.

...What part is bad?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

...What part is bad?

I'm going to tldr my post and say "the system lacks clarity"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

veni veni veni posted:

Have you considered that you might just be a moron?

Killing Floor was better as well despite being a cheap janky Euro game.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ftr I dont know if you are actually a moron but your opinion on B4B is not good.

To each his own, but I think Killing Floor feels super meh. I love the gameplay in Back4Blood.