Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stexils posted:

i would be okay with never hearing "deconstruction" again

What even is a deconstructed tiramisu, you're just making up words now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rayearth is not quite a deconstruction but the ending subverts the typical expectations of what an isekai slash magical girl series premise tends to be.

It's a very early example of an isekai anime too, way before the name for the genre became as widespread as it is now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inuyasha is a deconstruction because Kagome can go back

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Deconstruct my rear end

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NakocJ9Ky0I

I guess every gacha is announcing an anime this week.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/yuumiire/status/1450202610988892161?s=20

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oops, entirely wrong thread for this one

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 24, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Urobuchi deconstructed Magical girls so much he went back in time and wrote Minky Momo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
calling rayearth a deconstruction would be weird because the majority of 90s shoujo isekai mecha stories have weird twists in that vein and it came around the time the boom really started. the most notable earlier isekai fantasy mecha anime to speak of that they'd be paying influence to is dunbine and frankly rayearth kinda takes the least notes from dunbine of any of them lol

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Urobuchi deconstructed Magical girls so much he went back in time and wrote Minky Momo

He could have warned people about the earthquakes instead of getting the timeslots during them.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 24, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/greatgrebe/status/1452396203929489410?t=Se9FRoFHTn5pmJxcxO4kUQ&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can totally envision Chalomet as an entitled British shithead co-opting a liberation movement for his terrorist plots while cosplaying as anime batman.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Arc Hammer posted:

I can totally envision Chalomet as an entitled British shithead co-opting a liberation movement for his terrorist plots while cosplaying as anime batman.

Britania is in North America: Napoleon steamrolled all of Europe and the English Monarchy had to flee across the ocean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ardeem posted:

Britania is in North America: Napoleon steamrolled all of Europe and the English Monarchy had to flee across the ocean.

I know. That doesn't stop Britannians from being entitled British shitheads. It just means they also have a large contingent of entitled American shitheads under them as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the true evil was definitely the americans 100%

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

the true evil was definitely the americans 100%

wow, anime is real :aaa:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
anime isreal

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Captain Baal posted:

anime isreal

David vs. Goliath is anime af bro

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NakocJ9Ky0I

I guess every gacha is announcing an anime this week.

Oh boy now the playerbases can argue over which is worse. :v:

On one hand AK is insanely repetitive with it's dialogue which tends to work poorly for anime, on the other the GFL one is directed by Shigeru Ueda who I hear does not have a great track record. I'd love to be wrong on either, though.

Has there ever been a decent gacha game anime? I think i heard princess connect was okay?

e: Wait wasn't the gfl one announced like a year ago or were you talking about a different one?

e2: Actually I think comedy adaptations have turned out generally ok. Azurlane Slow Ahead, GFL Madness/Healing Chapter, and Fate Carnival Phantasm were all fairly good.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think that director has really had that notable a production history beyond marchen melting down for vague reasons, the worst thing he's directed i know is mnemosyne and, well. i'm not going to say mnemosyne exactly had great odds from the start.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Arknights anime is supposedly being made same in-house group that makes all the patch PVs, so in that sense I think they've demonstrated that they've got a good handle on how to cut things down to the cool bits (and an understanding of what parts of the story are important). But I'm not sure if they've ever shown they have the capacity to make a full-length anime, and somehow I doubt scaling up like that is simple.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The granblue anime will become good in like 2-3 more seasons when it gets to the parts of the main story that I like.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mister Facetious posted:

David vs. Goliath is anime af bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI60tolDlr8

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Has there ever been a decent gacha game anime? I think i heard princess connect was okay?

Bang Dream Season 2-3 , D4DJ, Love Live Nijigasaki, and Umamusume Season 2 are all good gacha game anime (Though Umamusume came before the actual game)

Edit: Also Magia record!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the cygames animes have all been good other than granblue i think? also magia record s1 was good imo, haven't seen 2 yet.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hell Granblue isn't even bad, it's just adapting the most dry part of the main story. Heck all of the special episodes have been amazing (But this is why Djeeta should of been the lead for at least one of the seasons)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I read somewhere that Cygame's original idea for the anime was to have both Djeeta and Gran as the leads but it got shut down at some point. Real messed up if true.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idolmaster cinderella girls is also a good gacha anime

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I read somewhere that Cygame's original idea for the anime was to have both Djeeta and Gran as the leads but it got shut down at some point. Real messed up if true.

reverse. the anime staff wanted to have both the characters as the leads, cygames told them to only use gran

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I knew I didn't have it quite right. I was halfway through convincing myself that was actually about Versus.

Still messed up though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
gran and lyria was cute for the episode they did anything with it where the lowain bros are cheering on their date

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread, I’m watching western shonen anime Batman Beyond and it’s pretty cool. Actually it’s really great, I really appreciate that they leaned all the way into a fundamentally terrible idea that was foisted onto them and made a legit great show out of it.

I especially appreciate that they leaned pretty hard into Clarke’s Third law, and that they make the sleek futuristic aesthetic work with the simplified designs that iirc were mandated partway into Batman TAS’s later seasons.

Sorry if western animation is considered off-topic or otherwise unwanted.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Batman beyond is pretty cool, and way more interesting than 99% of whatever DC does with the batman property nowadays.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Batman Beyond is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And this is to go further Batman Beyond!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Return of the Joker is a top tier DC movie. It has Dean Stockwell as old Tim Drake!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something that’s kinda hosed/rad about western kids shows is that killing is bad but it’s cool when the blue sword lady turns people into vegetables with special assassin poison. Or when the ink lady shoves herself down Batman’s throat. This show kinda pretty brutal in general cause they can hand wave Terry getting beat to poo poo with him having special spider armor, which I forgot.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
shut up about batman

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

i dont think that director has really had that notable a production history beyond marchen melting down for vague reasons, the worst thing he's directed i know is mnemosyne and, well. i'm not going to say mnemosyne exactly had great odds from the start.

I enjoyed Mnemosyne a lot even if it is abject garbage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mnemosyne has a lot of violent gritty dark 2000s yuri anime appeal to me for a period. the problem is that it stops being that and instead tries to go for this optimistic happy end while also having the mc get intensely compheted and failing to resolve any of the more hosed up aspects of its setting. like jesus man if you're not going to acknowledge the part where the immortality spores turn men into horrific hypnosex angels at least just let it end on a dumb bloody action note and not a note about how just letting this happen is achieving world peace

i'll give project ice one thing in comparison, at least its views on gender and general resolutton and plotline, are so insane that i literally cant even begin to extract what meaning it wants to communicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Batman Ninja actually sounds like fun and maybe I should pick it up on bluray or dvd.

Too bad it's not on Netflix or Crunchyroll.