Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ToxicAcne posted:

Also it seems like Eternals is getting poo poo reviews. Good riddance.

from who? I’ve only seen breathless praise of how ambitious and dense it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

indigi posted:

from who? I’ve only seen breathless praise of how ambitious and dense it is

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Eternals is 3 hours long? Lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I do not understand how this site works, some 6/10 scores are marked “fresh” but others are rotten? they’re both 6/10 how the gently caress does that work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1452420337182908420?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

indigi posted:

I do not understand how this site works, some 6/10 scores are marked “fresh” but others are rotten? they’re both 6/10 how the gently caress does that work

iirc they defer to critics/publications that submit their own reviews about whether a mixed review was positive/negative, and if the review wasn't submitted they have the people who read the reviews and pull the quotes for the website make a judgement call (which does make sense if you're reducing things to a thumbs up/thumbs down, since "6/10" can have a lot of different meanings)

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Oct 25, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
6/10 is poo poo. this is a poo poo movie.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i'd be inclined to say less, way less. i don't have any numbers, just anecdotes and experience. the only people i know who read regularly are writers. the people i know buy mostly ebooks and the hardcopy of books they really like. i don't know anyone who reads self-published work. i know slightly less people who listen to audiobooks than i do who read books but, as mentioned, i am probably a biased sample of writers and people who have an interest in the written word.

the issues facing traditional publishing comes down to the industry itself. it costs a lot of print books, put them on shelves, and so on. ebooks and audiobooks help, of course. as for sales, it depends on the publisher. in America, the usual thing is that the publisher will pay you an advance for your novel (this can be as small as 5000 dollars these days) where the bigger the advance is the more sales they expect. after that, and sometimes after the publisher has made back their costs, the author gets royalties. sometimes contracts may be against entire trilogies or series, which means authors may not make any money back until the whole series is out and earning. some other countries give royalties immediately but most countries literary agencies pale in comparison to the connections and networks the US agents have.

publishers are kept afloat by the few authors that become mega hits. your sandersons, rothfusses, rowlings, martins, coreys, etc. these guys basically subsidize the publisher to take 'risks' on other works. however, publishers will still cut dead weight if they don't anticipate a decent return. i know of an author who was promised a trilogy, signed it to the publisher, and then at book 2 got told they had no plans to release book 3 (it was "pushed back.") so the author can't do poo poo with their stories and IP because they signed it to a publisher who doesn't think it'll make enough money and now there's very little reason to purchase books 1 and 2 because book 3 is "pushed back." this is one of the risks of trad pub and, honestly, i'd say it is a big risk these days. and sometimes the publisher themselves can make a bad bet. there was an author who got a seven figure advance, the novel flopped hard, and their career was over because the trad pub industry is tiny and it wasn't 'we made a bad bet' but 'that guy didn't live up to our investment.'

audiobooks are a much bigger slice of the market than most realize. audiobook rights can be more profitable than the actual rights to the novel. of course, this creates problems with how people consume media and then how people write the media. personally, i do not like audiobooks or podcasts etc -- it's just not how i retain information.

it's been a fair while since I've paid attention to self-publishing, unfortunately, but there's been a bunch of articles about it (especially in the romance genre, it's by far the most cutthroat genre on amazon). can probably track them down via google. it just goes hand in hand with how algorithm-driven amazon's marketplace is. i believe something awful itself had one back when amazon self-publishing was still getting off the ground. werewolf romance or something like that. a bunch of goons figured out how they could make maximum profit via amazon's system. amazon, of course, plugged the hole and the well dried up. i think even these days amazon is slowly reducing how much they pay out via royalties.

speaking of cutthroat genres, it is not uncommon for authors to pay groups to leave fake/duplicitous ratings on books of their genre rivals. because amazon takes the Algorithm very seriously, they will remove authors from the platform at the drop of a hat. so, if you're stepping into the genres on amazon that can make the most money, you really need be to careful that you don't get seen as an upstart or anything because people will do their best to exploit amazon to destroy you, and amazon itself will not appeal any of it.

i wouldn't be able to tell you, hah. more than most people think, i'd say. this kinda goes hand in hand with another issue facing traditional publishing versus self-publishing. the traditional publishers generally expect the author to shoulder much of the burden of marketing their book (unless they think you're a surefire bet) which kind of compounds everything. why go traditional if you need to do your own marketing like a self-published person anyway? why is anyone surprised that books fail when it's just the author shouting 'buy my book, buy my book' on twitter and reddit? like it or not, we all kinda believe that we can't trust someone talking about their own work. hence that thought across the industry (when they're being honest) that it just can't give prospective authors much except the prestige of being successful running the gauntlet of write -> polish -> query -> publisher -> release -> audience reception. bragging rights, basically. but then you sure as hell hope you make a decent return or you'll not get another shot.

it's tragic, really. i think capital has figured out what to do with movies and games and music (shallow, flashy, popcorn stuff) but books are kinda the antithesis of that (i'd argue this is why self-publishing has never taken off outside stuff like erotica, litrpgs, and innumerable jack reacher rip-offs) and so the literary industry will limp along for a few more decades growing less relevant with each passing day, becoming a farm for other types of content. ever wonder why half the stuff you read these days reads like an annotated script treatment? because they basically are. and like, why put years of work into a novel if the publisher might pay you only five thousand dollars?

and really, eliminating physical media--like books--is probably a goal for capital. there's already been classic novels that get their ebook versions 'revised' with really silly find/replace stuff. i think it was war and peace where they replaced every instance of 'kindle' with 'nook' which means exactly what you think it did. 'the fire kindled in the hearth' became 'the fire nookd' in the hearth. no one bothered to proofread it and, as far as i know, it hasn't been corrected. so, hey, that's great. but there's also other problems: for example, my ebook version of dune messiah is missing the extremely thematic relevant prologue section for no discernable reason.

add in the general, insane drama of 'book twitter' (did anyone hear about the attack helicopter fiasco? that was fun and reflected well on a lot of the trad pub personalities involved!) and i really have to wonder why anyone--including myself--wades into this morass. but i mean, what're you going to do? self-publish and place your art before the whims of bezos? it's all hosed lol lmao

mod edit: i am so sorry i hit edit instead of quote and deleted some of your post im a loving moron lmao

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Oct 25, 2021

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Judakel posted:

6/10 is poo poo. this is a poo poo movie.

yes but disney invested a lot of money in it so it cant be bad

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Phase 4 has been a catastrophe. A few more phases like this and the MCU is finished

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

10 Things Only Comic Fans Know About Kingo

10: Origins

Much like some of the Eternals, Kingo was actually born in Japan. He observed humanity from a settlement in the mountains, with his love for human culture and customs coming from watching over Hokkaido. This origin is crucial for the character, but the MCU is taking a different path.

The MCU version of the character doesn't appear to have been born on Earth at all. Importantly though, he still understands, sympathizes with, and wants to emulate the traditions of human society as will be further explored. This connection to Terra is what drives Kingo's ambitions and should influence the character's actions on screen.

9: Live-Action Changes

As fans might have learned from the trailers of the cinematic adaptation the version of Kingo that is being put to screen isn't actually like the version of the character described above. Indeed, his background on Earth seemingly begins in Pakistan. Kingo, therefore, doesn't have the same background or connection to Japan as he does in the comics.

Portrayed by Kumail Nanjiani, the character looks for fame in Bollywood, where he becomes a beloved movie star. Comic book fans are aware though that there are actually some strange ties in this origin to the source material and Kingo's role in the modern world.

8: Samurai Background

Throughout the 16th Century, Kingo continued to study Japanese tradition and learned the ways of the Samurai. It's a crucial part of his identity, but one the MCU won't be reflecting considering his alternative origins. Samurai life is reflected in every aspect of the character, though.

His loyalty, nobility, and honorable actions are all drawn from Samurai culture. The MCU would be wise to bring these characteristics to their iteration of Kingo, even if they are from different sources. What's more, Kingo's costume is that of Samurai armor rather than the classic Eternal garb, something that has once again been shifted in the MCU to create a 'team look.'

7: Power Set

The comic book Eternals all share very similar powers including flight, invulnerability, strength, immortality, energy projection, and the manipulation of particles. All of these powers are coming into play on-screen and Kingo's own gifts have been given an interesting visual portrayal.

While there are some extremely powerful members of the Eternals on the page, Kingo isn't among them, relying on his Samurai skills rather than his cosmic abilities. The MCU looks to depart from this considering this Japanese background is not a part of the Eternal's identity. The character may still be reluctant to use his God-like gifts though if he is so enamored with Bollywood stardom.

6: Film Star

The modern era didn't quite respect Samurai culture in the same way as the 16th Century, but Kingo found a new way to express his passions. Kingo became a stunt-performer in the comics as time went on, regularly starring as Samurai warriors in cinematic releases.

Kingo's stardom has been taken to new heights in The Eternals though, as he moves from a fighter to a dancer and singer, capturing the essence of the Bollywood style. It's likely that the MCU has taken inspiration from Kingo's comic book film career for their own creation.

5: Facing The Mongols

Both the MCU and the comic book versions of the Eternals are not allowed to interfere with human conflicts. Kingo nearly broke this code though when the son of Ghenghis Khan, Ögedei, took the Mongol Army and was ready to invade Europe; potentially at the manipulation of the Eternal Druig.

Kingo's morality is put to the test when he goes to kill the Mongol General, only to hold back on his decision and allow events to eventually peacefully play out. The MCU is certainly going to look at whether the Eternals stayed true to their word to stay away from Earth's history, but Kingo may once again struggle with this concept more than most. Especially if one of their own, Druig, could be involved.

4: Staying On Earth

The Eternals are intrigued by their cosmic origins and their links to the Celestials. The trailers for the film showcase the group finding their old ship, essentially trying to reconnect to their roots. The comics saw the Eternals do something very similar but Kingo made a bold choice.

While many of the Eternals chose to travel into space, leaving Earth behind, Kingo couldn't bear to be away from his home. He stayed on Earth with other members of the group like Ikarus. This might be a decision the Bollywood star makes in the film as well, as the rest of Eternals look for the other cosmic Gods the MCU is continuing to introduce.

3: Avengers Team-Up

As Phase 4 continues to expand it seems fairly natural that the Avengers and the Eternals will cross paths and potentially even team up. In the comics, Kingo was a part of the group that partnered with the West Coast Avengers, to take on the looming threat of the Celestials.

With the Priest-Lord Ghaur trying to use the powers of the godly beasts, this legendary duo of Earth's mightiest and these Celestial creations pushed back his plan, succeeding in their mission to protect Earth. Fans know that the Eternals of the comics will continue to side with the Avengers whenever a cosmic threat (like the Deviants of the MCU) surfaces.

2: Defeating Thanos

Thanos has been the most lethal threat of the MCU thus far, but Kingo was among a group of Eternals who defeated him in the comics. The trailers see the Eternals mention the Mad Titan and the conflict on Earth might have played out quite differently if they were involved, demonstrating the danger of their limits.

Thanos attacks the homeland known as Polaria, a location vitally important to the team and one that might be introduced into the MCU. After his initial defeat, Thanos does return once more, killing Ikarus in the process. However, Kingo's initial warrior spirit makes this a must-read for comic book fans of the Eternals.

1: Looking To The Deviants

The Eternals actually have a machine that aids in the resurrection of one of their fallen friends. It's a machine Kingo himself could use and might explain the group's never-ending lifespans within the confines of the Marvel Studios universe. But the machine wasn't quite as it appeared to the group.

It turned out that every time an Eternal is resurrected, human lives are sacrificed in their place. Kingo was amongst those that argued about destroying this machine and indeed was one of the Eternals who ultimately turned to their arch enemies the Deviants for assistance in the matter of immortality. The Deviants of the MCU appear to be far different from the comics, though, and cannot be bargained with in the same way.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Really breaking the stereotypes by making the brown guy a bollywood actor.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

[Poop Culture] 10 Things Only Comic Fans Know About Kingo

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

Much like some of the Eternals, Kingo was actually born in Japan. He observed humanity from a settlement in the mountains, with his love for human culture and customs coming from watching over Hokkaido. This origin is crucial for the character, but the MCU is taking a different path.

The MCU version of the character doesn't appear to have been born on Earth at all. Importantly though, he still understands, sympathizes with, and wants to emulate the traditions of human society as will be further explored. This connection to Terra is what drives Kingo's ambitions and should influence the character's actions on screen.

As fans might have learned from the trailers of the cinematic adaptation the version of Kingo that is being put to screen isn't actually like the version of the character described above. Indeed, his background on Earth seemingly begins in Pakistan. Kingo, therefore, doesn't have the same background or connection to Japan as he does in the comics.

Portrayed by Kumail Nanjiani, the character looks for fame in Bollywood, where he becomes a beloved movie star. Comic book fans are aware though that there are actually some strange ties in this origin to the source material and Kingo's role in the modern world.

Throughout the 16th Century, Kingo continued to study Japanese tradition and learned the ways of the Samurai. It's a crucial part of his identity, but one the MCU won't be reflecting considering his alternative origins. Samurai life is reflected in every aspect of the character, though.

His loyalty, nobility, and honorable actions are all drawn from Samurai culture. The MCU would be wise to bring these characteristics to their iteration of Kingo, even if they are from different sources. What's more, Kingo's costume is that of Samurai armor rather than the classic Eternal garb, something that has once again been shifted in the MCU to create a 'team look.'

The comic book Eternals all share very similar powers including flight, invulnerability, strength, immortality, energy projection, and the manipulation of particles. All of these powers are coming into play on-screen and Kingo's own gifts have been given an interesting visual portrayal.

While there are some extremely powerful members of the Eternals on the page, Kingo isn't among them, relying on his Samurai skills rather than his cosmic abilities. The MCU looks to depart from this considering this Japanese background is not a part of the Eternal's identity. The character may still be reluctant to use his God-like gifts though if he is so enamored with Bollywood stardom.

The modern era didn't quite respect Samurai culture in the same way as the 16th Century, but Kingo found a new way to express his passions. Kingo became a stunt-performer in the comics as time went on, regularly starring as Samurai warriors in cinematic releases.

Kingo's stardom has been taken to new heights in The Eternals though, as he moves from a fighter to a dancer and singer, capturing the essence of the Bollywood style. It's likely that the MCU has taken inspiration from Kingo's comic book film career for their own creation.

Both the MCU and the comic book versions of the Eternals are not allowed to interfere with human conflicts. Kingo nearly broke this code though when the son of Ghenghis Khan, Ögedei, took the Mongol Army and was ready to invade Europe; potentially at the manipulation of the Eternal Druig.

Kingo's morality is put to the test when he goes to kill the Mongol General, only to hold back on his decision and allow events to eventually peacefully play out. The MCU is certainly going to look at whether the Eternals stayed true to their word to stay away from Earth's history, but Kingo may once again struggle with this concept more than most. Especially if one of their own, Druig, could be involved.

The Eternals are intrigued by their cosmic origins and their links to the Celestials. The trailers for the film showcase the group finding their old ship, essentially trying to reconnect to their roots. The comics saw the Eternals do something very similar but Kingo made a bold choice.

While many of the Eternals chose to travel into space, leaving Earth behind, Kingo couldn't bear to be away from his home. He stayed on Earth with other members of the group like Ikarus. This might be a decision the Bollywood star makes in the film as well, as the rest of Eternals look for the other cosmic Gods the MCU is continuing to introduce.

As Phase 4 continues to expand it seems fairly natural that the Avengers and the Eternals will cross paths and potentially even team up. In the comics, Kingo was a part of the group that partnered with the West Coast Avengers, to take on the looming threat of the Celestials.

With the Priest-Lord Ghaur trying to use the powers of the godly beasts, this legendary duo of Earth's mightiest and these Celestial creations pushed back his plan, succeeding in their mission to protect Earth. Fans know that the Eternals of the comics will continue to side with the Avengers whenever a cosmic threat (like the Deviants of the MCU) surfaces.

Thanos has been the most lethal threat of the MCU thus far, but Kingo was among a group of Eternals who defeated him in the comics. The trailers see the Eternals mention the Mad Titan and the conflict on Earth might have played out quite differently if they were involved, demonstrating the danger of their limits.

Thanos attacks the homeland known as Polaria, a location vitally important to the team and one that might be introduced into the MCU. After his initial defeat, Thanos does return once more, killing Ikarus in the process. However, Kingo's initial warrior spirit makes this a must-read for comic book fans of the Eternals.

The Eternals actually have a machine that aids in the resurrection of one of their fallen friends. It's a machine Kingo himself could use and might explain the group's never-ending lifespans within the confines of the Marvel Studios universe. But the machine wasn't quite as it appeared to the group.

It turned out that every time an Eternal is resurrected, human lives are sacrificed in their place. Kingo was amongst those that argued about destroying this machine and indeed was one of the Eternals who ultimately turned to their arch enemies the Deviants for assistance in the matter of immortality. The Deviants of the MCU appear to be far different from the comics, though, and cannot be bargained with in the same way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FiBMcsZyE

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Love kingo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kingo ate my baby

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm the guy in the background

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

an mcu movie getting in the 70s is on RT pretty dire. theyre very precisely designed to make critics say 'good enough' and have count as positive

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Good soup! posted:

[Poop Culture] 10 Things Only Comic Fans Know About Kingo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

kingo ate my baby

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

shrike82 posted:

kumail nanjiani didnt actually get swole, they just put that guy in the background of every shot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Eternals is 3 hours long? Lmfao

Yes it's eternal

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bro Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Eternals have the same forced energy as Gabbo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

shrike82 posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

kingo ate my baby

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Nichael posted:

The Eternals have the same forced energy as Gabbo.

Yeah, I really think they just assumed everyone would see it solely on the basis that it's more slop in the Marvel trough. Now that they're realizing that isn't the case, they're actually trying to market it, but there just isn't much to work with. LOL that almost all of the most recent marketing material is about Kingo, a character who dies at the end, when it sounds like he's the only one anyone would want to see again.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1452336064329392134

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
a poon sized film

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Kingo dies lmao

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw Dunc in 4d today and my rear end was both massaged and thrown every which way

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if we waste any more time on "kingo" this thread will be out of good posts by the end of the month!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
go off, kingo

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Phase 4 has been a catastrophe. A few more phases like this and the MCU is finished

"a couple dozen more movies like this and marvel is done!"
lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Kingo did bollywood style hip hop and was disowned by his parents for not going to cram school

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dune kicks rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kingo to the polls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Dunc was p decent but Villeneuve is a coward for refusing to say the words "jihad" "Idaho" and "piss"