Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I guess In the end we are dealing with qualia so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
For some reason I always pictured Salusa as an overgrown jungle world, with jaguars and crocodilians and maybe even some wild humans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Priest in that scene owned

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

phasmid posted:

For some reason I always pictured Salusa as an overgrown jungle world, with jaguars and crocodilians and maybe even some wild humans.
The priests made me think they were kind of riffing off of the Space Marines, which would make the final battles even funnier.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, it was a really good scene, though short. It's one of the few times Piter even gets to talk. It's a shame they weren't inclined to add the mental playoff between him and Thufir that takes place before the attack.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It makes sense that they left out Piter though, since he mainly exists as a foil for the Baron to do Bond-villain monologues at and then dies early, and movie Baron doesn't really do that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie was soooo long already lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's why there was never a movie of the second Forrest Gump book. He made his deal on a percent of the net instead of the gross and the most successful movie of the year didn't make any money sorry.

shouldve watched more cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Denis, release the 5 hour hbo max cut. People will watch.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Pure uncanny valley. Probably the best special effect in the whole movie. Which isn't sayin too much

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

fcc compliant bob posted:

Pure uncanny valley. Probably the best special effect in the whole movie. Which isn't sayin too much

Maybe a real Jerboa with cgi embellishments?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fcc compliant bob posted:

:jerkbag:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also loved that we the audience knew when duncan was piloting

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

e: I was flying home from a vacation yesterday and a guy in the row in front of me was watching Dune on his phone for the entire flight, just to give a sense of how a lot of people are consuming their media these days.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Need an emote of Martin Scorcese crying.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Dune box office for the weekend: $220 million with a budget of $165 million - so not even C-level executive "it didn't make enough money"-bullshit can stop Dune II now.
Don't discount other-C-level-executive-bullshit, though.

40 million for the weekend.

It's been out for most of the world for a month and a half already which is where the other 180m came from.

Anyway, they announced part 2 already. This guy is the new Peter Jackson for this franchise.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Philthy posted:

This guy is the new Peter Jackson for this franchise.

I know you mean in the sense of getting funding but still...I don't want no unexpected journeys, dig?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I don't think part 2 is actually confirmed yet?
Not that I doubt it will. But so far isn't WB just like "you've seen how the movie ends, sooo..."
But it's not like they would announce they're not making part 2 before the opening weekend is over and turn off all the potential audience from seeing it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

I know you mean in the sense of getting funding but still...I don't want no unexpected journeys, dig?

Depends if he goes beyond book 3 or not. If so, god help all of us.

stratdax posted:

I don't think part 2 is actually confirmed yet?

Was on my newsfeed earlier somewhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

Denis, release the 5 hour hbo max cut. People will watch.

I will watch

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

You drat us all with your blasphemy.

Philthy posted:

Depends if he goes beyond book 3 or not. If so, god help all of us.

I would watch up to Children, yeah. God Emperor...I'd rather they just did some acid house cartoon with that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

phasmid posted:

I would watch up to Children, yeah. God Emperor...I'd rather they just did some acid house cartoon with that.

Ralph Bakshi's still alive, right?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Jodorowsky's God-Emperor of Dune. Leto II turns himself into an immortal half-sandworm who happens to look like a giant dong.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tree Bucket posted:

Ralph Bakshi's still alive, right?

I think so. He could have probably pulled it off, at least in his heyday.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

phasmid posted:

I always thought radioactive wasteland.

Saw the movie in Regal RPX today. It is a good movie and worthy adaptation.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Imagined posted:

Jodorowsky's God-Emperor of Dune. Leto II turns himself into an immortal half-sandworm who happens to look like a giant dong.

To be fair that’s probably the book he’s most appropriate to direct.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I just came here to say that I loved the movie, saw it at the alamo Drafthouse in Manhattan and it was picture- and sound-perfect. I'm going to start the first book this week (and I probably won't read any of the others based on what I've heard about them)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Dune box office for the weekend: $220 million with a budget of $165 million - so not even C-level executive "it didn't make enough money"-bullshit can stop Dune II now.
Don't discount other-C-level-executive-bullshit, though.

If my math is correct two Dunes are needed for each book and there are possibly six books (faint memory from looking at the first pages of this thread) so we're getting a dozen of Dunes in vein of super-hero movies and you cant be worse than Star Wars in any case.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

If in some insane reality they made book-accurate Dune movies they would be much worse than the Star Wars movies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kalel posted:

I just came here to say that I loved the movie, saw it at the alamo Drafthouse in Manhattan and it was picture- and sound-perfect. I'm going to start the first book this week (and I probably won't read any of the others based on what I've heard about them)

Probably a solid choice. The first three were written at the same time, and they’re not bad, but they’re no where as good as the first. They also go in a really loving weird direction and it gets a million times more weird beyond. So, the first book does make an excellent encapsulated story if you stop there. I wish I had.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Watched it at home on the big screen and loved it so much we got tickets to the fancy Dolby theater the next day and watched it again

It seemed significantly darker in the theater than at home. Loved it both times.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

stratdax posted:

If in some insane reality they made book-accurate Dune movies they would be much worse than the Star Wars movies.

100% this. The best possible outcome would be to finish Dune for movie 2, roll Messiah, Children and the first part of God-Emperor into a third, and then a 4th film to close out God-Emperor, and then burn the studio to the ground to stop them from going any further.

e: That may actually be the second best outcome, with the best outcome being finishing Dune and then stopping there and sealing everything into a lead vault or a no-chamber.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 25, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heretics and chapterhouse aren't that bad they're just a bit trashy and horny. It's the Brian herbert ones that are the ones to memory hole

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Get Dev Patel locked down for Miles Teg!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Get Tilda to be Dama, the leader of the Matres.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

stratdax posted:

Me or Sedgr? I saw it in IMAX and I'm playing around with saturation on an oled screen and it's still true.
Edit: but my issue with the visual is more than just "too dim" anyway. The night scenes on the oled DO look a lot better than the IMAX screen so I guess movies theaters just suck and streaming is the future.

I was also complaining of it being way too dark. I suppose it could be my tv, but I have never had that problem with any other movie on the tv.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Dunite posted:

Do sandworms have buttholes?

https://twitter.com/bad_dragon/status/1451624353372598272

:thunk:

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/review-a-dune-sanded-to-dullness

Pretty much.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've been surprised by how many critics are willing to go to bat for lynch dune. The hot take economy has been kind to it I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
a fantastic and unique new penetrable