Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Does anyone have a link to the original argument about this post? I'm pretty sure this one's worse but that might just be me blocking it out of my memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for giving away the car to my friend in 48 hours that my parents bought me for learning how to drive?

quote:

I(29M) honestly hate driving and do not plan to have a license or use something other than a bike. I live in a capital in Europe so a car is mostly useless unless something urgent happens.

My family is from rural areas and for them,a car is something sacred. They are also very rich due to the stocks from my mom's dad and I also have a good share on it. But I was always the black sheep between my three brothers(we are quadruplets, seriously) . I was the nerd one who hated going outdoors and always read books and stuff from internet which was very unpopular at my town. I was the only person in our town library sometimes and my parents did not like how I was but my grandparents forbid them interfering so my usual teenagehood was in library,with my grandpa,reading about some stuff. I think he wanted me to be an intellectual and he was the only one to support me when I said I am going to the big city for medical school.

Well,I went,they also moved in with me and for that,neither my parents and brothers nor my dad's siblings and cousins forgave me for having them. If they weren't with me in the city,I would die from starvation or lack of.self hygiene in medical school. They took care of me,it was a really big thing to find some home meal ready every night after a long study day or a night shift. I also had so little vacation so we would mostly go somewhere other than our hometown and due to all of this,they resented me until they came to my graduation and we started to make up. I still live in the same city,my grandparents moved to Southern Italy as their retirement town and my family also comes to visit me regularly. They always come with cars but I hate them and honestly don't hop on them unless we are going out of the city. They were always trying to get me driver's licence so I can share this experience with them(they all love their cars,like a lot).

Last week,my parents came with a new car,a really cool car actually,an Audi RS5. I was shocked and honestly very mad that they bought me something like this. I thanked from outside but when they left to their home,I called my friend,asked he wanted a new car and sold him from a token price so my parents could not object to the sale. Well,all of the family are mad at me now and call me a soft assed city boy and my parents refuse to speak with me. My grandparents think I might have gone too far.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

You know the 18 year divorce lady is probably an incredibly unreliable narrator so I’m not sure the post should be taken at face value.

True; however, and I think this is something posters ITT routinely forget, this is not a courtroom, your opinion has no value or impact on anybody's life, and these stories are posted and discussed here purely for entertainment's sake.

Now, which reading is more entertaining, that the self-admitted untrustworthy idiot is spinning a yarn to make herself look like the injured party, or this guy's the Keyser Soze of dads?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 25, 2021

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Now, which reading is more entertaining, that the self-admitted untrustworthy idiot is spinning a yarn to make herself look like the injured party, or this guy's the Keyser Soze of dads?

Whichever one makes me right. Next!

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for giving away the car to my friend in 48 hours that my parents bought me for learning how to drive?

This is very normal in Europe, actually.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Invisible Clergy posted:

I was vibing with this person until they sold the car for under market price and now I'm on team parent.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

giving my friend a $70k gift to own my dad

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Take my car, please!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ach mine automobile ist too vroomvroom dost vu wanst it eenstead?

oh yah mine frienden thanken zee verred much

(thats how the conversation went, thats how europes type talk)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's plenty of grey area there. But this guy decided nearly two decades ago that he was going to leave his wife the second his kid hit college age, had to work on cranking down his revulsion for her for a year, and eventually I guess decided... hey, may as well bang while she's here, right?

I just don't know how someone could get to a point in that situation where she thinks they've gotten over it and he starts having sex with her without it feeling really nefarious.

If you're in a relationship, even one that is on the rocks, it can be difficult to avoid having sex when you don't really want to but your partner does, especially if you're invested in keeping the relationship going. Also, being lonely and horny can cause you to have consensual sex that you still regret. I cannot really imagine staying with someone you are not happy with for 16 years for a kid, but if I had to guess at the type of sex life that would entail I think the former sounds somewhat more likely than years of secret machivellian revenge sex, although I guess it is possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The film Gnome Alone has in it a magic plant from which Ooze that stops the Trogs comes from. At no point in the eternal struggle between Gnomes and Trogs did they ever like, think about that fact or anything. The end of the film is the super Trog being defeated because the girl just goes "oh, hey, I bet that plant that we all know where it is and what it does can just stop the super Trog" and it does.

Also film studios do not know how to write charmingly goofy hapless male leads for the female lead to play off of yet, and this film is absolutely no exception.

Invisible Clergy posted:

A token price? I hope they got Chuck-E Cheeses still in Germany!

(I know Charles Entertainment Cheese no longer accepts physical tokens)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being upset about my SO in a drinking game

I think we are missing some words. If the question was "never have I ever had sex with other people while in a relationship" then yeah. But in general?

His girlfriend was the only one with any integrity, but he's too stupid to see that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

His girlfriend was the only one with any integrity, but he's too stupid to see that

Yeah but other people know how to play the game.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I do not believe that growing up in a home where your dad despises your mother but fucks her anyway is better than having divorced parents who might be able to be happy individually with other people.

Like, having divorced parents is not the end of the world, you know?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

I do not believe that growing up in a home where your dad despises your mother but fucks her anyway is better than having divorced parents who might be able to be happy individually with other people.

Whether it is in fact better is completely orthogonal to the matter at hand though, only whether someone could themselves believe it without getting into patrick bateman psychopath territory.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
Just dropping by to agree than Long Con Revenge Dad is a sick gently caress.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Alchenar posted:

'I'm a picky eater, I'll only eat absolute garbage'.

It's much more entertaining if you picture OP as a fat, angry raccoon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RoboRodent posted:

Is that how it went down tho? In her own words their home life was "picture perfect".

It may have been a bad plan, but it is hard to argue with the results. The injured party says everything went great.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therobit posted:

Let’s not forget that the mom was drug addled and loving random guys during her cheating phase, so he could reasonably expect that she would be using and bringing around weirdos that might harm his son. She’s portraying it as him silently plotting the whole time to leave her coldly. In his mind he was probably trapped in a relationship he didn’t want to be in for the sake of his son, and once the kid was 18 he felt free to end that. They also never got married despite having a household together for 15 or 16 years. And that is after he told her at the outset that it’s just staying together for the kid. I have a feeling there have to have been other signs along the way that he wasn’t fully committed to the relationship. It is probably a surprise to her because she did a lot of work to convince herself that she’d been forgiven.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. It was making the best of a bad situation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

They weren’t married and it doesn’t sound like he actually despised her because they were on different pages.

quote:

As far as he's concerned, everything we've shared since he found out I cheated was just a "Co-parenting/FWB" situation and while he loves me, he's not in love with me and hasn't been since he found out, he assumed I understood and accepted this silent agreement.

He also didn’t just pack up his poo poo and leave he told her and gave plenty of notice for what he was going to do. It’s a pretty solid breakup as far as they can go.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA Girlfriend's friend stole my food and wants an apology

quote:

It's the next day and everyone won't talk to me until I apologize. I definitely do not think I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

What happened?4 of us went to a Halloween party (me, girlfriend, her best friend and her boyfriend).On the way home I asked if anyone wanted to stop for food again (we did drive thru on the way to party) and they all said no. I'm pulling into McDonalds and get fries and 6 chicken nuggets. Perfectly calculated amount of food for how hungry I felt.

Girlfriend starts eating the fries, I expected that. Then her best friend starts tell me to get her nuggets, I already ordered and paid.

I say I already asked if anyone wanted anything. I start driving away. Then my gf takes my box of nuggets and opens them. Firmly, I tell everyone those are my nuggets, I'm NOT sharing them. In spite of that, the girls start passing them around, since I was driving I couldn't really stop them.

I go on to state my annoyance of the situation, then girl in the back goes "just cause you keep talking about it, I'm eating another one" or something along those lines. Essentially, she was annoyed that I was annoyed so used that as a reason to eat more.

They literally finished my nuggets and I didn't get one.

So I pull into another McDonalds on the way home. The girls boyfriend tells me to grab a 10 pack (to replace my 6 and he'll get 4 for his gf). He's going to pay?!? What.

The girls stole food, and now the guy in the backseat is going to replace it? So I questioned that. I ended up taking my gf's debit card (she did offer). I was holding both of their debit cards and chose to use my girlfriends. But what about the girl that literally ate most of my nuggets??

So then she goes on to tell me I deserved to lose my nuggets blah blah which segways into freedom of speech. She tells me to shutup and that the definition of freedom of speech if your right to speak up against the government, not say whatever you want whenever you want. Idgaf, I'll say what I want when I want. She really hates to be called out for her behaviour. I compare her to egyptian cats being treated like gods back in the day and how she always acts like the cat and everyone should worship and listen to her. Next thing you know, that's "hate speech" (she is egyptian canadian).

Firstly, is that hate speech?

It's the next day, my girlfriend won't talk to me until I apologize and says I'm straining her and her friends relationship.

I want an apology for them stealing my food, which created another argument this morning that she only did it because I wouldn't stop at another drive thru to get them food and that eating my nuggets was the only way to get me to stop. That's not a good reason in my eyes.

Tldr; girlfriend and her friends stole my food, I was annoyed and called them out. Freedom of speech argument came up and I became the bad guy for compare the egyptian girl to worshipped cats who get what they want

ADDITION:

Girlfriend says I was biased for NOT including the fact they "only ate my food to force me to stop at another drive-thru" and honestly, I think that just makes them look worse

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

Eating other peoples food is p. rude.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I had a lot of friends from highschool whose parents got divorced during their first semester off at college, so that story, while extreme, doesn't seem too absurd to me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

I can't read this story without compile errors so you should be single.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

OnlyBans posted:

I knew Sonya. Not well, but we traveled in similar circles. I don't see those reframes as making Sonya look bad. She's just a person who had a super annoying and clingy co-worker that she would make fun of. Clingy annoying and clingy co-workers suck rear end and I absolutely poo poo talk annoying people with other people who know them. Especially when they are at their most annoying/clingy and grandiose.

Dawn is loving awful. Sonya is normal.

Edit: Wow, those articles are written by someone as deranged as Dawn. "Dawn really felt she had a friendship to fight for" as a justification for her, frankly, insane actions speaks to how lovely the author is. The fact that in their opener they also try to "set the record straight!" because Sonya is half asian, half white as opposed to "real" asian which speaks to a lot of gross stuff. Gross articles by a gross person.

As a writer who has inevitably used real life occurrences and people as a basis for pieces I've written, I don't see how you can possibly look at Sonya's behavior, what she chose to use in the story, and her backbiting communications with other people in that circle and say "yeah, this is a normal and good way for a person to behave." Writing what is an obvious personal takedown of someone you inwardly despise despite being semi-friendly to their face for the grand crime of being admittedly attention-needy over giving away an entire organ and draping a tarp of white saviorship over it to make it culturally relevant and morally unimpeachable is not the good work. It's petty mean girl crap on a grand scale and is the kind of poo poo that she should've been warned away from in freshman comp, but obviously because the initial optics looked good no one told her she was operating on pure spite and getting rewarded for it.

There's a difference between borrowing from life for your work and directly stealing from people you dislike for whatever reason and behaving like the most injured person on the planet when they call you out for it. What a bunch of nonsense.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for ranting to my friend about my dating life?

quote:

I have been talking to a female friend who I have known for about 2 years now. We would often use playful banter and recently I started to do online dating which I am relatively new at.

I have had pretty bad luck with my dates and I was simply ranting to her about how dry my dating life is. I consider myself to be a nice guy and with the handful of dates that I have been on, they have all ended up in the friendzone. So as a thought experiment, I simply said "What if I just stop being a nice guy and take on the polar opposite and be the bad guy for once?"

I told her I was obviously joking about this, but it was just me letting off some steam. She took it as me asking for her advice which I clearly wasn't. She also took it personally which I don't really understand how that could have been taken as an insult. For context, I would often rant to her about different things and this was no different. When I want advice, I will directly ask and she knows this. I asked what makes this any different from all of my other rants? She says that I am sounding like a jerk to which I said I wouldn't actually act on this, this is just me exploring what I need to do to get out of the friendzone.

Long story short, I apologized for how I acted but she cannot move on with being my friend anymore. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: It seems a lot of people want to add random facts to validate their own responses. You are alll entitled to your own opinions, but it doesn't make them right. Also, therapy? Really? How would that help my dating lol

Edit 2: I'm done with this thread. Y'all are lacking sense of reality

What a funny, funny joke! "Hahaha you know what'll be hilarious? If I treat girls like poo poo! Hahahahaha!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBF the bad boy trope has been around for literally decades at this point. Blame the tv/ movies for that as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Women like bad boys because at least bad boys are open and honest about what they want- a fourth film.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

RoboRodent posted:

Again, mom was a drug addled party girl. How about the alternative of your mom being a doped up skank that leaves you with random people while she’s on a bender and those people sexually abuse you and burn you with cigarettes? Because that is literally what happened to one of of my best friends whose doper biological mom kept custody of him for the first four years of his life until the state took over. I would absolutely stay with a disgusting person that I hated for 16 years to protect my child from that kind of person.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I didn’t get the sense that she was a “doped-up skank” who burned the kid with cigarettes (??), it sounded to me like she cleaned up her act in the aftermath of the affair. It’s not uncommon, when I got sober I met a few different women who had a wake-up call shortly after having their first kid and went on to be good parents

ChunTheUnavoidable fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 25, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

therobit posted:

Again, mom was a drug addled party girl. How about the alternative of your mom being a doped up skank that leaves you with random people while she’s on a bender and those people sexually abuse you and burn you with cigarettes? Because that is literally what happened to one of of my best friends whose doper biological mom kept custody of him for the first four years of his life until the state took over. I would absolutely stay with a disgusting person that I hated for 16 years to protect my child from that kind of person.

And what if the mom was a baby-eating lich with a secret shrine to Rush Limbaugh, with a voice so discordant that it heralds the end times???

Yeah, chew on that idea for a while and tell me I’m wrong. Check and mate, thread. :smug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Midnight Voyager posted:

AITA for telling my dad that I'm not his replacememt wife?

Yeah it was rough, but she told her dad exactly what he needed to hear.

"What about your father's grief?"

Goddamn, what about the children's? You're adults, it's literally your loving job to take care of them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
She had a baby and decided that the drugs and party and loving other men lifestyle was for her when the kid was around 2, continued her affair and drug use for some period of time after getting caught, and then decided to pull her act together because she didn’t like that her boyfriend looked at her like he hated her. My point was that when someone with that lifestyle is the custodial parent of a child, really bad things can and do happen to that kid. Never let your druggie girlfriend be the only one with custody. I know people say that when men fight for custody they get it, but a survey of the men I know whose ex wives fought back would suggest that a lot of judges still favor the mom in custody matters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mx. posted:

sounds like he jeopardised the nuggets

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

She had a baby and decided that the drugs and party and loving other men lifestyle was for her when the kid was around 2, continued her affair and drug use for some period of time after getting caught, and then decided to pull her act together because she didn’t like that her boyfriend looked at her like he hated her. My point was that when someone with that lifestyle is the custodial parent of a child, really bad things can and do happen to that kid. Never let your druggie girlfriend be the only one with custody. I know people say that when men fight for custody they get it, but a survey of the men I know whose ex wives fought back would suggest that a lot of judges still favor the mom in custody matters.

Is the reddit thread leaking into the forum? Or are you from the boomer thread?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

LRADIKAL posted:

Is the reddit thread leaking into the forum? Or are you from the boomer thread?

Therobit is just making good on their redtext.

Mx. posted:

This guy is right to be upset, but:

quote:

So then she goes on to tell me I deserved to lose my nuggets blah blah which segways into freedom of speech. She tells me to shutup and that the definition of freedom of speech if your right to speak up against the government, not say whatever you want whenever you want. Idgaf, I'll say what I want when I want.
I get the feeling he's probably less than effective at communicating his grievances IRL.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly reminded of the one story of the girl who walked back into her ex-fiance's life after cheating on him and spending a couple years partying and expected to pick up right where they left off while he'd taken years to get over her leaving.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spouse posted:

I get the feeling he's probably less than effective at communicating his grievances IRL.

Yeah probably but I did like his Egyptian cat theory lol

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

two different people have now said the kid would get raped if the parents divorced and i really don’t think that is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have thought about Long Con Dad and pictured my dad doing that to my mom. If my mom was a cheating drug user and my dad stayed with her until I was 18...doing everything he could to convince her that he was over it, including sleeping with her in the same bed, having sex with her, being her partner...and then went "lol SIKE don't you remember me saying I was leaving you when our kid was grown up 16 years ago??? smell ya later Ketchum"

I would disown him as my dad. Especially if my mom had put in work to stop drug use and stop cheating. Don't screw with my mom's head that way and then try to say "but I called BASE 16 years ago, that means it's fine."

No one gets to treat my mom like that and still call themselves my family member.

Anyway that's my take.