Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

Lmao why the gently caress would anyone be a Qualcomm stan of all things

https://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragoninsiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Verge Comment Section posted:

Windows Central gave it a pretty glowing review and their comparison shots with an iPhone 12 Mini looked very similar.

Some real dyp going on...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, a lot of tech journalism is just riffing on press releases and listening to twitter for hot scoops like yet another ransomware victim or someone leaking a ton of poo poo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/google-stadias-salvaged-future-as-a-back-end-cloud-service-is-here/

stadia is dead.... long live stadia

google's efforts in end-user customer service are very terrible and now they have finally come to the part of the "jump to conclusions" map where they just settle for business-to-business, like a lot of their other services

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve never seen a game maker attempt to pull off the “pivot to business” maneuver, especially given their only possible customers are sony, microsoft or valve

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That's true, but Google has never made a game (although they did make a half hearted attempt).

Also, not enough people are making use of their bespoke fancy b2b cloud solution so they have to drum up business for it somewhere...

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it should of been free with ads, how many consumers actually pay Google monthly for anything?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, apparently the latest client seems to be AT&T.

It would be wild if people could all of a sudden start playing mortal kombat right off their set top box

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sb hermit posted:

Also, apparently the latest client seems to be AT&T.

It would be wild if people could all of a sudden start playing mortal kombat right off their set top box

big 90's hotel energy

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
that solves another big problem for stadia, since the latency would be eclipsed by the lag between the remote and the set top box

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
“Not the full review, just initial impressions…”

and then “the form factor seems fundamentally flawed”

that’s get a big yikes from me, dawg.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Scott Forstall posted:

“Not the full review, just initial impressions…”

and then “the form factor seems fundamentally flawed”

that’s get a big yikes from me, dawg.

no, you see its still really cool though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
finally my dream to have penny's book from inspector gadget is a reality

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"any pictures or text that are supposed to be in the middle of the screen are now just gone" :laffo:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the form factor could work with tweaking and a ground up re-think of the entire user interface. trying to shoehorn it onto android [or windows which is still bad at multiple monitors 30 years on] is a permanently losing proposition

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

it should of been free with ads, how many consumers actually pay Google monthly for anything?

does stadia even work with any living room hardware besides that one bespoke chromecast yet? the whole thing with decoupling games from the hardware doesn't work when the client isn't actually compatible with anything

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The_Franz posted:

does stadia even work with any living room hardware besides that one bespoke chromecast yet? the whole thing with decoupling games from the hardware doesn't work when the client isn't actually compatible with anything

yeah, I think they eventually released support for all chromecasts? and then promptly discontinued those, and released a new one that didn’t support stadia at all out of the box lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, I think they eventually released support for all chromecasts? and then promptly discontinued those, and released a new one that didn’t support stadia at all out of the box lol
google + hardware = comedy, every time

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to guess it's a trick question and they're all real

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those icons definitely belong on the $1,000+ device belonging to a POWER USER and definitely not a Fisher Price 'My First Computer' toy.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

I remember 8B was google wave which “tech enthusiasts” got super hyped about at the time. checking the wiki, it was opened with limited invitations for the first six months, immediately killing any widespread adoption. lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i loving hate icons that all look the same.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

I'm going to guess it's a trick question and they're all real

and they're all depreciated

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I m assuming the triforce and Windows logos aren't theirs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

irpoweroutlet posted:

I remember 8B was google wave which “tech enthusiasts” got super hyped about at the time. checking the wiki, it was opened with limited invitations for the first six months, immediately killing any widespread adoption. lol

I think the real problem with wave was not the limited adoptions but the fact that it was dog slow.

It had the rich content stuff that might have been a discord killer but it was too heavyweight for real use

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Perplx posted:

lmao they're now limiting google meetings to an hour unless you pay them. hangouts of course was free for as long as you felt like talking.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

googles icons are dreadful

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

r/im14andthisisdeep

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gmail is a mixed bag. The spam filter still gets the occasional false positive and I don't enjoy having to explain how to add attachments or download files whenever they change the UI.

otherwise, it's very solid.

Youtube is very anti customer, though. Ads everywhere, and they periodically pause videos to ask you if you're really watching it. And they automatically change the video quality to poo poo, and videos uploaded within the day will have a chance to pause mid playback so you have to just watch something else and come back.

I've given up on trying to make sense of the maps interface. It just changes too much.

Searching on google, their flagship product, has taken a dumb turn. They put a little box that shows results with adjusted search terms. Then they add another row that just says "show more". Then they show the bar to paginate through the results.

"show more" does not show you more of the results with your search term. It shows you more results with their search terms that are generally irrelevant to what I'm doing.

Google evokes contrasting feelings.

On the other hand, Amazon screws over their smaller suppliers and does not contribute to open source, leading to the elastic search schism shitshow

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pixel 6 benchmarks are rolling in. this uses google's custom tensor soc instead of an off-the-shelf snapdragon. based purely on benchmarks, it's one of the better performing androids, and just about tied with an iphone SE2! google will definitely be closing the performance gap sometime soon

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

my partner has a pixel 5a. are the galaxy/pixel buds at all on par with AirPods or??

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

my partner has a pixel 5a. are the galaxy/pixel buds at all on par with AirPods or??

any reason why you're looking at the phone-manufacturer-specific ones? i think the sony wf-1000xm4 are broadly considered the best option

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

not really. she has over ear ones already i just wanna get her nicer ones and i fuckin love my airpods so,

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

the gray android thread seems to not like the pixel buds for the cost of free, but the galaxy buds are supposed to be okay. but yeah, the sonys are pretty highly regarded

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
thread

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1453450489954062338

lmao

stadia team really firing on all cylinders

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the joke is that the e-mail link led to tbd-dot-com which was definitely not owned by google

and there were two links, and they were both broken

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sb hermit posted:

the joke is that the e-mail link led to tbd-dot-com which was definitely not owned by google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sb hermit posted:

and there were two links, and they were both broken

I don’t think that was a joke I think it actually happened