Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blood Boils posted:

Dunc was p decent but Villeneuve is a coward for refusing to say the words "jihad" "Idaho" and "piss"

The Butlerian 1/6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Blood Boils posted:

Dunc was p decent but Villeneuve is a coward for refusing to say the words "jihad" "Idaho" and "piss"

They definitely said Duncan's full name at one point. Momoa was pretty great in the role imo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I completely forgot the title the Fremen called Paul was from the book and was wondering if they made something up so they didn't call him the Madhi but they did actually use that later

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Blood Boils posted:

The bad guy's mentat says Duncan Idaho

StashAugustine posted:

dune kicks rear end

Hell yeah brother. Loved the Sardaukar planet. Its gonna stay buried in my brain for all time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sarduarkar as space Varangians is such a good take on them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i never read the book or saw the other film but I enjoyed Dune. I did like that they included a line about how the surprise attack and hiring the space varangians cost the bad guys a ton of money so their seemingly overwhelming power came at a real economic cost that tells you why people are desperate to control the planet and spice

pretty grounded for scifi

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1452430906912870403?s=20

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Horizon Burning posted:

i'd be inclined to say less, way less. i don't have any numbers, just anecdotes and experience. the only people i know who read regularly are writers. the people i know buy mostly ebooks and the hardcopy of books they really like. i don't know anyone who reads self-published work. i know slightly less people who listen to audiobooks than i do who read books but, as mentioned, i am probably a biased sample of writers and people who have an interest in the written word.

the issues facing traditional publishing comes down to the industry itself. it costs a lot of print books, put them on shelves, and so on. ebooks and audiobooks help, of course. as for sales, it depends on the publisher. in America, the usual thing is that the publisher will pay you an advance for your novel (this can be as small as 5000 dollars these days) where the bigger the advance is the more sales they expect. after that, and sometimes after the publisher has made back their costs, the author gets royalties. sometimes contracts may be against entire trilogies or series, which means authors may not make any money back until the whole series is out and earning. some other countries give royalties immediately but most countries literary agencies pale in comparison to the connections and networks the US agents have.

publishers are kept afloat by the few authors that become mega hits. your sandersons, rothfusses, rowlings, martins, coreys, etc. these guys basically subsidize the publisher to take 'risks' on other works. however, publishers will still cut dead weight if they don't anticipate a decent return. i know of an author who was promised a trilogy, signed it to the publisher, and then at book 2 got told they had no plans to release book 3 (it was "pushed back.") so the author can't do poo poo with their stories and IP because they signed it to a publisher who doesn't think it'll make enough money and now there's very little reason to purchase books 1 and 2 because book 3 is "pushed back." this is one of the risks of trad pub and, honestly, i'd say it is a big risk these days. and sometimes the publisher themselves can make a bad bet. there was an author who got a seven figure advance, the novel flopped hard, and their career was over because the trad pub industry is tiny and it wasn't 'we made a bad bet' but 'that guy didn't live up to our investment.'

audiobooks are a much bigger slice of the market than most realize. audiobook rights can be more profitable than the actual rights to the novel. of course, this creates problems with how people consume media and then how people write the media. personally, i do not like audiobooks or podcasts etc -- it's just not how i retain information.

it's been a fair while since I've paid attention to self-publishing, unfortunately, but there's been a bunch of articles about it (especially in the romance genre, it's by far the most cutthroat genre on amazon). can probably track them down via google. it just goes hand in hand with how algorithm-driven amazon's marketplace is. i believe something awful itself had one back when amazon self-publishing was still getting off the ground. werewolf romance or something like that. a bunch of goons figured out how they could make maximum profit via amazon's system. amazon, of course, plugged the hole and the well dried up. i think even these days amazon is slowly reducing how much they pay out via royalties.

speaking of cutthroat genres, it is not uncommon for authors to pay groups to leave fake/duplicitous ratings on books of their genre rivals. because amazon takes the Algorithm very seriously, they will remove authors from the platform at the drop of a hat. so, if you're stepping into the genres on amazon that can make the most money, you really need be to careful that you don't get seen as an upstart or anything because people will do their best to exploit amazon to destroy you, and amazon itself will not appeal any of it.

i wouldn't be able to tell you, hah. more than most people think, i'd say. this kinda goes hand in hand with another issue facing traditional publishing versus self-publishing. the traditional publishers generally expect the author to shoulder much of the burden of marketing their book (unless they think you're a surefire bet) which kind of compounds everything. why go traditional if you need to do your own marketing like a self-published person anyway? why is anyone surprised that books fail when it's just the author shouting 'buy my book, buy my book' on twitter and reddit? like it or not, we all kinda believe that we can't trust someone talking about their own work. hence that thought across the industry (when they're being honest) that it just can't give prospective authors much except the prestige of being successful running the gauntlet of write -> polish -> query -> publisher -> release -> audience reception. bragging rights, basically. but then you sure as hell hope you make a decent return or you'll not get another shot.

it's tragic, really. i think capital has figured out what to do with movies and games and music (shallow, flashy, popcorn stuff) but books are kinda the antithesis of that (i'd argue this is why self-publishing has never taken off outside stuff like erotica, litrpgs, and innumerable jack reacher rip-offs) and so the literary industry will limp along for a few more decades growing less relevant with each passing day, becoming a farm for other types of content. ever wonder why half the stuff you read these days reads like an annotated script treatment? because they basically are. and like, why put years of work into a novel if the publisher might pay you only five thousand dollars?

and really, eliminating physical media--like books--is probably a goal for capital. there's already been classic novels that get their ebook versions 'revised' with really silly find/replace stuff. i think it was war and peace where they replaced every instance of 'kindle' with 'nook' which means exactly what you think it did. 'the fire kindled in the hearth' became 'the fire nookd' in the hearth. no one bothered to proofread it and, as far as i know, it hasn't been corrected. so, hey, that's great. but there's also other problems: for example, my ebook version of dune messiah is missing the extremely thematic relevant prologue section for no discernable reason.

add in the general, insane drama of 'book twitter' (did anyone hear about the attack helicopter fiasco? that was fun and reflected well on a lot of the trad pub personalities involved!) and i really have to wonder why anyone--including myself--wades into this morass. but i mean, what're you going to do? self-publish and place your art before the whims of bezos? it's all hosed lol lmao

not reading any of this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I guess that makes him a... person of interest

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

just finished dune, it sucks that they didn’t film the next one at the same time because I enjoyed it and want more fast.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

That all sounds rough and heart breaking.

But thank you.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

if we waste any more time on "kingo" this thread will be out of good posts by the end of the month!

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Trabisnikof posted:

kingo ate my baby

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tankbuster posted:

The bad guy's mentat says Duncan Idaho

When? I must have missed it

Not sure I liked how subdued the harkonens were, but on the other hand I do appreciate how different this version was from previous dunes

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
kingo wishful thinking

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Saw Dune. I thought it was good but nothing extraordinary. The guy playing Paul seemed a little too sleepy with his delivery but Rebecca Ferguson made his scenes way better.

Doctor Jeep posted:

"a couple dozen more movies like this and marvel is done!"
lol

Disney will post through it and it will work. Eternals will forgotten much like the Inhumans and Helstrom show that Marvel tried. The new Spider-Man movie is going to come out one month later and everyone will forget Eternals and clap for all the Spider-Mans and villains they liked.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I for one will never forget Inhumans https://youtu.be/fGTfbMioezc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Doctor Jeep posted:

"a couple dozen more movies like this and marvel is done!"
lol

fairly certain that's the joke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1452336064329392134

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
please the proper term is Dune-Clone

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Timothy Chalamet has a tiny head.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pollos_Hernandy/status/1452355182638125073?t=-0VI975Jsit5PZDpms869w&s=19

Lol

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Eternals hype machine:
https://youtu.be/qRrCIvw8DRQ

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't plan to see it but if I did I reckon I'd like internals better than Dune because of KINGO just hope he makes it out OK for a standalone series

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait so (comic) Kingo watched the Ainu get colonized horribly and decided the colonizers were cool and good?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait so (comic) Kingo watched the Ainu get colonized horribly and decided the colonizers were cool and good?

every time you have a superhero movie that's like "and these superheros lived in hiding for the last ten billion years saving the world!" it gets awkward as soon as someone asks why they didn't stop columbus or hitler

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

vyelkin posted:

every time you have a superhero movie that's like "and these superheros lived in hiding for the last ten billion years saving the world!" it gets awkward as soon as someone asks why they didn't stop columbus or hitler

Yeah, but I noticed it more this time ebcause they specified Hokkaido instead of just "Japan".

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

*banging on table*

KINGO KINGO KINGO

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i would be surprised if the person who wrote that knew that hokkaido was only recently seriously habited and that for most of japanese history it was just considered a frozen wasteland

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i had a dream last night where i just got a job writing mst3kish riffs but the people who hired me were having second thoughts on hiring me so i pitched them on turning kingo into a tobleronesque figure despite none of us having seen the movie yet

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Some Guy TT posted:

i would be surprised if the person who wrote that knew that hokkaido was only recently seriously habited and that for most of japanese history it was just considered a frozen wasteland

Ainu lived there but... we don't talk about them

(because japanese people hate their indigenous population)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone said Pee-ternals yet

Serf
May 5, 2011

i saw dune. it was as much of a gorgeous disaster as i thought it would be. i liked the movie, but dune is and will always be unfilmable. villeneuve gave it a good shot but i feel like if i didn't already know and love dune i would've walked out confused as gently caress. the story also doesn't work broken up like this, there is no emotional climax and the narrative just crashes into a wall at the end. when the credits came up, one lady in the theater went "wait, that's it?" which made me laugh. they never advertised the movie as "part one" like they toss in for half a second at the beginning of the movie lmao

i dug the aesthetics of it all. the spaceships in particular evoked an aura of wonder and dread in how their every operation seemed hostile. really liked that the spacing guild ship had a yonic design, you don't see that much. also the music ruled, they got real weird with it and i was hella surprised to see that it was hans zimmer, who i didn't think was capable of making anything interesting or original anymore

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i like what the script's doing with paul but chalamet is pretty much perfectly average- he's not bad but he doesn't really bring anything to the role; compare jessica who's not really super interesting in the script imo but rebecca ferguson just kills it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

drake no: an mcu film with a 6/10
drake yes: an indie/horror film with a 6/10

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

numerical ratings are dumb and ebert right was when he said they were dumb and he only did them at all because the chicago sun times made him

but in a fitting metaphor for eberts career arc as a whole he didnt make any effort to actually get rid of them when he was the most powerful film critic in the country and even had his own website where no one was putting a gun to anyones head and demanding they include star ratings

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

i saw dune. it was as much of a gorgeous disaster as i thought it would be. i liked the movie, but dune is and will always be unfilmable. villeneuve gave it a good shot but i feel like if i didn't already know and love dune i would've walked out confused as gently caress. the story also doesn't work broken up like this, there is no emotional climax and the narrative just crashes into a wall at the end. when the credits came up, one lady in the theater went "wait, that's it?" which made me laugh. they never advertised the movie as "part one" like they toss in for half a second at the beginning of the movie lmao

shut up book nerd

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

numerical ratings are dumb and ebert right was when he said they were dumb and he only did them at all because the chicago sun times made him

but in a fitting metaphor for eberts career arc as a whole he didnt make any effort to actually get rid of them when he was the most powerful film critic in the country and even had his own website where no one was putting a gun to anyones head and demanding they include star ratings

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thumbs up thumbs down is such an unambiguous improvement over numerical ratings its baffling anyone uses numerical ratings at all

rotten tomatoes itself is premised on the idea that the yea or nah recommendation carries more weight than whatever arbitrary number the critic decides to append to the end of the review but then the tomatometer itself just becomes another numerical rating lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
All media shall be rated on a scale of
:)
:geno:
:(

:getin: