Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

The games that make me most uncomfortable to play the bad guy is any game about Vietnam where you play as an American

We do need more games where you play as Viet Cong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

veni veni veni posted:

Oh man, it's too bad none of these developers hired you to be an ideas guy for their games. The solution was so simple all along.

But he’s right. Look at the first Dishonored. Using good art and level design you always knew what was something important or interactable. And that was in huge part due to not using certain graphical decisions in the games design. Despite being set in a foggy city where everything is a shade of grey, everything has contrast to everything else in both texture and shape. And the game did not obscure everything with glare and glow.
Contrast to Witcher 3 where everything is the same color and texture as everything else. And the sun is always shining directly into your eyes even if you’re facing away from it.
The reason “detective vision” is so popular these days is that graphics in AAA stuff is painful to look at. I like to use the term “Vaseline graphics” because your screen looks like it has been smeared with it. Everything is brown, everything is reflecting the sun. Everything is blurry. Hell I think half the reason retro sprite art has become so popular is that you can actually see what’s happening on screen.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao, replying with complete sincerity to a vvv shitpost

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FoolyCharged posted:

WWII in particular. Crimes against humanity were the norm for everyone involved. Bombing industrial centers full of unarmed people? Strategic planning to reduce enemy morale and weapons manufacturing.

Deliberately setting people on fire and having them die so horrifically that we banned doing it anymore? Man what a great way to clear a bunker.

Penal squadrons getting death marched into minefields? Spares the men we care about!

It just goes on and on.

Nanking...

sigh. If you know about it, you know. If you don't...maybe you should just leave it that way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If your game is 1st person and 3D, you'd better go for photorealism and maximum detail, unless you are a coward

If you don't want to go that route and make the visuals more abstract and simplistic, make the whole concept of the game more abstract, like a top down tile based 2D game or whatnot.

This is dogma.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

If your game is 1st person and 3D, you'd better go for photorealism and maximum detail, unless you are a coward

If you don't want to go that route and make the visuals more abstract and simplistic, make the whole concept of the game more abstract, like a top down tile based 2D game or whatnot.

This is dogma.

gently caress that. More games like Dishonored please, with actual art style.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

steinrokkan posted:

This is dogma.

every photorealistic game looks like poo poo
and they spend 10x more on the art budget to make it look like that specific flavor of poo poo, hiring people to work lovely gamedev artist jobs designing hd dirt textures for 12 hours per day

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 25, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

every photorealistic game looks like poo poo
and they spend 10x more on the art budget to make it look like that specific flavor of poo poo, hiring people to work lovely gamedev artist jobs designing hd dirt textures for 12 hours per day

pixel games are also 99% derivative ugly garbage too, there's a fine balance

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
pixel isn't even one of the options for a 3d game's artstyle unless you use a lovely filter or something

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

itry posted:

gently caress that. More games like Dishonored please, with actual art style.

Dishonored looks like barf tho

itry
Aug 23, 2019

fridge corn posted:

That's a weird way to spell art

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I'm sure if you tried it you'd fall in love for a week like you did with deathloop and you wouldn't even have to pay £70 for the privilege :cheeky:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved deathloop, I platinumed that with 40 hours on the file. What a rad game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dishonored looks p good imo, but championing it as some gold standard of environmental communication, when it's literally all brown then the game does the thing where it highlights everything in yellow that you can actually pick up lmao.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I loved deathloop, I platinumed that with 40 hours on the file. What a rad game.

This would only qualify as controversial on the SA forums where people hate everything.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Arkane are great at making games where you want to turn the HUD off

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm sure if you tried it you'd fall in love for a week like you did with deathloop and you wouldn't even have to pay £70 for the privilege :cheeky:

I paid £10 for dishonored 2 and I felt that was appropriate for the experience it provided

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah. Only way to play Dishonored 1/2 is with as much of the HUD turned off as you can deal with.

fridge corn posted:

I paid £10 for dishonored 2 and I felt that was appropriate for the experience it provided

The first one with its expansion (2 DLC's) is worth the $8 or w/e it costs these days on sale. Worth it at full price too, but w/e. D2 is better mechanically, but I prefered D1 in most other way.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 25, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Arkane are great at making games where you want to turn it off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

But then you can't see anything. Which is why it's funny.

They were saying more games should have visual design that communicates stuff without HUD assistance like dishonored

The game just highlights everything in yellow how is that different from detective vision or whatever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnMcK-1dclE&t=883s

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

itry posted:

Yeah. Only way to play Dishonored 1/2 is with as much of the HUD turned off as you can deal with.

Agreed, up to and including the game process itself

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SMH at these bad takes on Dishonored.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

But then you can't see anything. Which is why it's funny.

They were saying more games should have visual design that communicates stuff without HUD assistance like dishonored

The game just highlights everything in yellow how is that different from detective vision or whatever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnMcK-1dclE&t=883s

You'll miss more pickups like money and so on but nothing that's a big deal, and heck first time thorough Dishonored i probably switched objective markers back on if i was really stuck but then i just loved breathing in those worlds and didn't want to rush through.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

SMH at these bad takes on Dishonored.

Yeah its a weird game to hate on in my eyes, its not prefect but it does a lot incredibly well and it drips with atmosphere, its the sort of game you would play for 20 minutes and realise its not for you or just be fully invested in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You'll miss more pickups like money and so on but nothing that's a big deal, and heck first time thorough Dishonored i probably switched objective markers back on if i was really stuck but then i just loved breathing in those worlds and didn't want to rush through.

Yeah but that's irrelevant because their whole point was that Dishonored communicates environmental interaction without HUD, which it doesn't actually do. It's just rose colored glasses. if you want to turn the HUD off in Dishonored it's a preference. it's not that the game needed it less than any other game in the first place.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 25, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Dishonored was just mediocre imo

The world didn't make a lot of sense to me but I liked parts of it. The combat wasn't great but I liked skulking around. It got way too easy with certain tools though and with no challenge the game falls pretty flat

itry
Aug 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but that's irrelevant because their whole point was that Dishonored communicates environmental interaction without HUD, which it doesn't actually do. It's just rose colored glasses. if you want to turn the HUD off in Dishonored it's a preference. it's not that the game needed it less than any other game in the first place.

I don't know about interactables, but the game's level design (combined with your ability to just scale buildings and look at your surroundings) meant that you didn't actually need any waypoints to know where you were supposed to go. So when I think about the HUD, I mostly think about stuff like waypoints or the "you're crouching now" silhouette. Or always on health/mana bars.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Even as a fan of the series I'll admit Dishonored has flaws - the combat, the black/white morality system but the world design was so incredible it made up for any shortcomings in mechanics etc

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Dishonored was enough of that sort of game for me basically forever. I played three or so levels of the sequel and was like "I've played this already"

Combat sandboxes aren't really interesting to me anymore

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If more games were as made with the care and consideration that Dishonoured gets, the entire game industry would be better off.

I love that type of game and I really can't imagine how you guys are calling it mediocre, but hey I guess if you've got no patience and a babybrain i understand.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lmao medicore is such a damning word when it comes to videogames: talk about a back handed compliment, just call it bad if you didn't like it

I'm trying to think of a videogame that I felt was describable as "mediocre" and i just can't because either games are "good" and i'll play them or they are "bad" and I'll stop after 20 minutes because I'm bored out my skull eg: Assassins Creed Odyssey, literally one of the most overblown, boring, self serious videogames I have ever played

its probably good form to use medicore in that instance because while there were clearly efforts put into the presentation they kinda forgot to put a fun game in

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah Dishonored *burp* nobody cares about brexit enough to play a game about it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

Yeah Dishonored *burp* nobody cares about brexit enough to play a game about it

That's actually Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

Edit: Wait, no. I tell a lie. It's We Happy Few.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 25, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

pixel games are also 99% derivative ugly garbage too, there's a fine balance

yeah but pixel games have an install size of 500mb instead of 500gb

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021
Morrowind isn't accessible.
Oblivion sucks. Skyrim sucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SearchInward posted:

Morrowind isn't accessible.
Oblivion sucks. Skyrim sucks.

:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_533_uAzrFc

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

itry posted:

That's actually Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

This game is cool

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lmao medicore is such a damning word when it comes to videogames: talk about a back handed compliment, just call it bad if you didn't like it

I'm trying to think of a videogame that I felt was describable as "mediocre" and i just can't because either games are "good" and i'll play them or they are "bad" and I'll stop after 20 minutes because I'm bored out my skull eg: Assassins Creed Odyssey, literally one of the most overblown, boring, self serious videogames I have ever played

its probably good form to use medicore in that instance because while there were clearly efforts put into the presentation they kinda forgot to put a fun game in

It isn't mediocre but I've found that I really don't have the drive to complete games with long playtimes anymore. I happily sunk fifty hours into old games but now I can't imagine putting in more than 20, even on games that I love.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The peak of video game writing was the Soviet campaign for Red Alert 2.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I dno man, have you considered that RA3 had Tim Curry in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

I dno man, have you considered that RA3 had Tim Curry in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

He could maybe be best performance ever in a video game but to me the plot of 2 was more entertaining and very original for the time. Red Alert 1 had the super generic and almost non-existent plot so it was a pleasant surprise to get what we did in number 2.