Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Kinda hard to have the gelfling kill all the skeksis characters when it's a prequel to a movie where the skeksis rule the land and almost all the gelflings are dead. It also complicates things that for every skeksis they kill they also kill a peaceful mystic,

Point, but at least when Deet released the Darkening, they could have just had some secondary flash that knocked all the gelfing out, so when they woke up, Deet was wandering off, and the Skesis were gone. That way at least the gelfing might think they were all dead/vanished instead of literally letting them walk back home to plan another attack.

Yeah they are limited with a prequel but having Rian also refuse to kill the general was just silly. He knows firsthand what these fuckers will do, and the time for peace stopped a few episodes ago. As for the mystics, the Archer was the only one with balls enough to do what was needed, most of the others would have probably just shrugged and gone back to sand painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Shows right in the movie that they have personal shields that keep out fast-moving objects.

They didn't explain laser/shield interactions, they might in Part 2.

They don't get into the Butlerian Jihad, the ban on thinking machines or -- as far as I remember -- anything about the Orange Catholic Bible, aside from a few references to the Bene Gesserit manipulating religion and seeding worlds with myths and legends to further their own ends.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Shows right in the movie that they have personal shields that keep out fast-moving objects.

Right, I wasn't sure if I missed the explanation of what happens when laser hits shield or if it wasn't included. I loved the movie, but I'm not sure how much I'm filling in from my memories of the book and how someone going in cold would feel about it.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dune: Why are the trees being watered during midday? Seems stupid given the climate.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Baudolino posted:

Dune: Why are the trees being watered during midday? Seems stupid given the climate.
Because the water will freeze at night also it's not real

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
also maybe trees can't drink at night on account of they're asleep.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baudolino posted:

I feel like (if I'm not mixing it up with a similar book/movie) the Harkonnen regime had a lot of extravagant water use to basically poo poo on Fremen ideals of conservation. Then when the Atreides took over they scaled it back to something more reasonable and gave more water to the poor instead.

I have the nagging feeling that I am mixing this up with something else though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I feel like (if I'm not mixing it up with a similar book/movie) the Harkonnen regime had a lot of extravagant water use to basically poo poo on Fremen ideals of conservation. Then when the Atreides took over they scaled it back to something more reasonable and gave more water to the poor instead.

I have the nagging feeling that I am mixing this up with something else though.

There's a scene in the book at the dinner gathering where the Duke gets pretty pissed about the hand cleaning where they just slop water onto the floor and he has it given to the poor outside, or something like that. And a bit about holding the conservatory in the hopes that all of Arrakis can be like it one day, if I recall right (they're called out on the ridiculous water cost of it).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dune had the good sense to come out after Star Wars poo poo itself.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

I watched the scene where the Harkonnen and Sardaukar ships were blasting lasers all over the courtyard, and the scene where the Sardaukar are just lasering through the door with no regard as to what's on the other side and thought maybe they're not going to have the interaction you're talking about.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can't remember if it was the book or the old movie, but a laser hits a shield, you get a nuclear explosion.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can't remember if it was the book or the old movie, but a laser hits a shield, you get a nuclear explosion.

Book, though it might have been mentioned in the movie. Also it blows up whatever fired the laser too for ~reasons~

This gets used strategically in the second book iirc

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I actually edited my post to take that out, I thought it might be a spoiler.

Also, it's not a guarantee of mass destruction:

quote:

A lasgun-shield explosion was a dangerous variable, could be more powerful than atomics, could kill only the gunner and his shielded target.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no light too bright shield go boom waah.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Memento posted:

I actually edited my post to take that out, I thought it might be a spoiler.

Also, it's not a guarantee of mass destruction:

It's sort of explained in the prequels as a feeback-loop of some sort that leads to a matter-to-energy conversion (wherein 1 gram of matter = approx 21 kilotons explosive force) but generally yes: shielded thing and lasgun both exlode - just how -much- explode is random, as it could be just the air molecules interacting with the shield and laser beam - or it could be more stuff/mass.

So, short of someone absolutely suicidal with zero regard for collateral, or a long term risky plot like a timed-trigger lasgun pointed at an installation shield (mentioned in the book) it's generally a very bad idea.

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Oct 25, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

They don't get into the Butlerian Jihad, the ban on thinking machines or -- as far as I remember -- anything about the Orange Catholic Bible, aside from a few references to the Bene Gesserit manipulating religion and seeding worlds with myths and legends to further their own ends.

Gurney has a little pocket-sized one that he quotes from on a couple of occasions, but they never name the book.

DarkDobe posted:

It's sort of explained in the prequels

We do not talk about the prequels because they are so insanely bad.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Phanatic posted:

We do not talk about the prequels because they are so insanely bad.

I only read the pre and se quels out of morbid curiosity and to see what the gently caress the Honored Matres were fleeing / Scattering was intended to protect against and I guess I got to find out after a fashion!

R.e. a point made earlier: they really should have made a bigger deal about the Suk Doctor imperial conditioning and how absolutely unthinkable it was that Yueh would turn traitor.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Memento posted:

I watched the scene where the Harkonnen and Sardaukar ships were blasting lasers all over the courtyard, and the scene where the Sardaukar are just lasering through the door with no regard as to what's on the other side and thought maybe they're not going to have the interaction you're talking about.

Haven't seen the film but in the book I'm sure that personal shields don't work on Arrakis, at least, not in the open.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

I only read the pre and se quels out of morbid curiosity and to see what the gently caress the Honored Matres were fleeing / Scattering was intended to protect against and I guess I got to find out after a fashion!

R.e. a point made earlier: they really should have made a bigger deal about the Suk Doctor imperial conditioning and how absolutely unthinkable it was that Yueh would turn traitor.
The golden path was intended to prevent Ixian murder machines from going shithouse on everything and spread humanity out far and wide enough that the extinction and the stagnation brought about by a triple entente of the Guild, Bene Gesserit and the Emperor would no longer be possible.

I refuse to acknowledge any of the prequels because they are awful and dumb

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Elissimpark posted:

Haven't seen the film but in the book I'm sure that personal shields don't work on Arrakis, at least, not in the open.

I think they're fine within the walls of the city but in both the new movie and book they mention that the worms go apeshit over a shield, it'll just drive em nuts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I refuse to acknowledge any of the prequels because they are awful and dumb

y'ain't wrong Ellie, y'ain't wrong.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think they're fine within the walls of the city but in both the new movie and book they mention that the worms go apeshit over a shield, it'll just drive em nuts.

Crap, you're right. Also Idaho sets a trap with a shield for guys with lasguns, doesn't he?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, Arakeen is on ground too rocky for sandworms to get past the shield wall.

gently caress I'm a dork for knowing this

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I always wondered why the Fremen didn't just point a laser on a timer in the general direction of the city and book it. The results are unpredictable, but it's not like you couldn't try it again or with several weapons at once. Zap, boom, no more colonizers.

Maybe this was done in one of the books and it is filed weirdly in my brain.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
And then they'd get wiped out of existence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the bigger question is how does a society function when anyone can be running around with a 1d20 chance of a nuclear weapon in their pocket?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Honestly, the Suk conditioning always struck me as a weak point of the book. The text goes on and on about how it's supposedly perfect and impossible to subvert, expect the only person that we see who has it gets immediately subverted through the most obvious and mundane means imaginable. It always felt like a fairly transparent plot device to try and explain how they could have a traitor when Jessica is the next best thing to a mind reader.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BrianRx posted:

I always wondered why the Fremen didn't just point a laser on a timer in the general direction of the city and book it. The results are unpredictable, but it's not like you couldn't try it again or with several weapons at once. Zap, boom, no more colonizers.

Maybe this was done in one of the books and it is filed weirdly in my brain.

There is a bit in the fifth or sixth book about this - a planetary assault with shields attached to decoy ships.

The Fremen were bribing the Guild to avoid satellite scans of Arrakis so that no-one knew how many there were and that they were starting to terraform. Blowing up Arrakeen would probably annoy the Guild and draw unwanted attention.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm not sure how much access the Fremen have to lasers? Seems to be a Sardaukar/Atreides thing in the book.

The Imperial Conditioning thing seems like it should be an obvious plot in the books - have a government controlled college granting "unbreakable loyalty" with members in every house when really they're easily subverted if you know the secret.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Why did Doc Ock whip a god damned car at Peter in the cafe? IIRC, he didn't know Parker was Spiderman at that point and that poo poo would have killed him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BiggerBoat posted:

Why did Doc Ock whip a god damned car at Peter in the cafe? IIRC, he didn't know Parker was Spiderman at that point and that poo poo would have killed him.

You mean... You don't enter buildings by first throwing a car through them?

Oh. I have some people I need to apologize to.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BrianRx posted:

I always wondered why the Fremen didn't just point a laser on a timer in the general direction of the city and book it.
Book 2 (maybe book 3 but probably book 2)

Strategical laser nukes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OwlFancier posted:

I think the bigger question is how does a society function when anyone can be running around with a 1d20 chance of a nuclear weapon in their pocket?

This is America Arrakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BiggerBoat posted:

He also didn't know who Peter Parker was. Even when he sees his face at the end it takes a couple seconds and he only recognizes him as Dr. Conners' student

He really just wanted to throw that car

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elissimpark posted:

They work, but they really piss off worms. This is mentioned in the film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, if I had the ability to throw a car, I'd find all kinds of reasons.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why is this evil supervillain going around throwing cars into buildings? He could have hurt someone!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In Breath of the Wild, you can find a piece of lore that goes into Link not saying much.

Basically, finding out that you're the chosen one who has to protect the most important person in the kingdom is kind of a big responsibility. He's quiet because he knows he has one task and is completely focused on it, otherwise he couldn't handle it. That, and the somewhat traumatic effects of being brought back from the dead, go a long way of explaining his muteness.

I feel like this is something you can make work in a movie. The silent protagonist who is honor bound to fulfill his duty is something not unfamiliar in westerns or samurai films, so why not use it here?

Okay but if this guy is too focused on the mission to chat, why the heck is he wasting all that time running around breaking every pot in town?
Did a pot kill his parents?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay but if this guy is too focused on the mission to chat, why the heck is he wasting all that time running around breaking every pot in town?
Did a pot kill his parents?

a nervous tic induced by extreme amounts of stress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look when you're under that much pressure spending a bit of time unwinding with your pot problem is the only way through.