Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What word should we replace guarantees with in service guarantees citizenship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

service guarantees* citizenship

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Unlurking for a second to say our public high school in Tennessee basically forced all juniors to take the ASVAB for something to do with funding. It was probably bullshit, but you would get into some crap if you refused it. You wouldn't get in trouble, but you would have to do academic busywork while everyone who took it got to have a pizza party or some poo poo.

I scored in a high percentile and got plagued with calls, which is a whatever. The thing I'll never forget is the recruiter who constantly called me had an incredibly bad stutter. I would humor him a hell of a lot, because I just felt so loving awkward about the whole deal. Who do you have to piss off to get a job cold calling high school juniors with an extremely nasty stutter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More on the Rust shooting.

quote:

Gutierrez Reed, Rust’s head armourer, is the daughter of a western movie veteran, Thell Reed. She had reportedly expressed doubts about her competence while working in the lead armourer role for the first time on the Nicolas Cage movie The Old Way.

“You know, I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready … but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly,” she said last month on a podcast, Voices of the West.

Sometimes people have imposter syndrome, and sometimes they’re actually imposters.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Generation Internet posted:

Is it common for American recruiters to cold call/text people? I've seen a few screenshots like this and it's always weirded me out.

I've had cold texts and calls from navy and marine recruiters for my daughter for 5 years. Got one last week from a marine recruiter who sent nearly the same exact message 1 year ago.

edit : her highschool never had her personal phone number.

ded fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 25, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

I've had cold texts and calls from navy and marine recruiters for my daughter for 5 years. Got one last week from a marine recruiter who sent nearly the same exact message 1 year ago.

edit : her highschool never had her personal phone number.

Good news, they probably bought that info off of one of the companies that does have it lol

Captain Log posted:

Unlurking for a second to say our public high school in Tennessee basically forced all juniors to take the ASVAB for something to do with funding. It was probably bullshit, but you would get into some crap if you refused it. You wouldn't get in trouble, but you would have to do academic busywork while everyone who took it got to have a pizza party or some poo poo.

I had a teacher who made me take it. Considering this was probably in the runup to the iraq war or possibly even after it started, maybe she was trying to get rid of me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

Service implies citizenship

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

Good news, they probably bought that info off of one of the companies that does have it lol

It's not in her name. So nope. :smug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My Louisiana public HS made all of us take the asvab .

I had a full ride scholarship to a smaller state school and the local army recruiter was trying to talk me into some green and gold army program to enlist anyway.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

Service enables citizenship.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
When i lived in the US i was in touch with a recruiter, who lied his rear end of to me about among other things being able to join the NG with my NATO rank from Europe (E-6 or 5 i think it equals out to), but luckily goons set me straight. if i stayed i might still have done it just for the citizenship thing, but eh. glad i didnt.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Magugu posted:

That article is pro-click.

Shot.

Chaser

I unfortunately don't expect very much to come out of it. DOJ is doing a great job at arresting everyone involved, but the flunkies in Congress and their staff are likely just going to use a stupidity defense - "I didn't know they'd rush into the building, we just planned the rally!" The committee is turning out better than I thought because of Cheney/Kinzinger, but I bet the Important people were providing the matchsticks, gasoline, tinder, and lighter fluid and that will about cover it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Captain Log posted:

Unlurking for a second to say our public high school in Tennessee basically forced all juniors to take the ASVAB for something to do with funding.

Coincidentally, I dropped out as a HS junior, so I dodged that bullet. That was 20+ years ago, when you could take the GED at 16 in Tennessee. Didn't matter. I wound up taking it later and joining anyhow, but I got to take the asvab at MEPS on a computer.

So glad to not live in TN anymore.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Only true if true cannot imply false.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Service Gives Access to Citizenship

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lake of Methane posted:

Service Gives Access to Citizenship

*Under management discretion, not all offers valid outside of the contiguous 48 states.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

service implies access to citizenship for CIB recipients who start a business that operates for three years in disadvantaged communities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lets check in on the Republican Ohio Senate race

https://twitter.com/GeorgeVClark/status/1452470261672972296

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
These are all the dumbest loving people.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Absent fathers is the only decent answer. The rest…. Yeeeesh.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Equal opportunity has turned into equality of results?

I don’t know what that means but you know they practiced saying it in the mirror thinking it was profound and not just really a really stupid platitude that doesn’t even make sense.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's fun to reply to that with "I thought a rising tide lifts all boats?" and watch them meltdown

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

lets check in on the Republican Ohio Senate race

National media appear to be descending on Montana for the past few days to show how loony the state-level GOPs are becoming and how they're warping the culture:

https://twitter.com/emilybell/status/1452599354112499716

https://twitter.com/alice_crites/status/1452625837015113730

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crab Dad posted:

Indoctrination is a good answer, too, but leaves ambiguity as to the source.

I'm sure Ohio republicans are fine with brainwashing kids that white jesus is the way or what the gently caress ever the dominionist nazis want.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
"Critical Race Theory is the number 1 threat to my children" he said, using a handkerchief to pad the sweat from his forehead in October of hottest year on record.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm sure Ohio republicans are fine with brainwashing kids that white jesus is the way or what the gently caress ever the dominionist nazis want.

Taking Jesus out of society is on the list so you’re basically just repeating the list in sentence form here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

These are all the dumbest loving people.

sorry sir.. this is all people. I've given up on society as a whole.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Nope, it's a racist dogwhistle. Because every time that person says "absent father" they imagine a black man.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

It’s also a dog whistle.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Nope, it's a racist dogwhistle. Because every time that person says "absent father" they imagine a black man.

Precisely. They do not mean a white collar white dad who visits once a month. They mean “those people.”

They can cynically use a veneer of deniability through studies showing that, shock, kids do better with functioning parental relationships and because there are people of color who are advocates for good fatherhood, which cynical racists can try to wear like a fig leaf.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

Taking Jesus out of society is on the list so you’re basically just repeating the list in sentence form here.

Ehh, not the same, really. I bet whoever said it meant like, "liberal indoctrination of our youth through universities to worship the works of Darwin" or some bullshit. Those morons can't see the irony of saying "indoctrination" is a societal problem when they're trying to push their own agenda of allowing priests to rape kids in the name of Jesus.

But this is america and no one actually reads the bible for themselves, they just get a translation from their evangelical bible study or megachurch pastor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CainFortea posted:

Imagine being so terrified of 14% of your population you have to stoop to these levels.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But this is america and no one actually reads the bible for themselves, they just get a translation from their evangelical bible study or megachurch pastor.

Can someone who grew up in one of those megachurchs tell me why they exist? I'll watch some of those guys on tv and the only practical advice I ever here is poo poo you learn on sesame street. Like, why do these adults pay 10% tithe to learn they should help others and forgive people?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cuz if you didnt pay for the instruction you cant trust it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sacrist65 posted:

Can someone who grew up in one of those megachurchs tell me why they exist? I'll watch some of those guys on tv and the only practical advice I ever here is poo poo you learn on sesame street. Like, why do these adults pay 10% tithe to learn they should help others and forgive people?

Didn't grow up in one but a lot of family and friends went to them. The biggest local megachurch was held in a remodeled giant movie theater. There's the sense of community that you get from a regular church but at a concert-level scale. Instead of mosh pits there's speaking in tongues. So there's community and entertainment and maybe a lesson about being a good Christian before you go off to Sunday brunch to brow-beat the underpaid and overworked waitress because she's late with your bacon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

Bernie Moreno (third bullet point) has you covered:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Imagine being so terrified of 14% of your population you have to stoop to these levels.

https://twitter.com/RK_Hayes/status/1452645940297338881?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Another thread talking about some of the furin cleavage site stuff, ie why covid does not at all look like something that would be engineered with purpose vs naturally evolving.

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1452640563711389697?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sacrist65 posted:

Like, why do these adults pay 10% tithe to learn they should help others and forgive people?
I can guarantee this is not the message the megachurches are offering.