Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

If the Queen died of COVID, there’s no way they’d publicly admit that, right? Because that would sort of mean the government killed her.

The Palace wouldn't admit it, but Diana might say something next time she speaks to that Medium from The Daily Express

E: snipe tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

If the Queen died of COVID, there’s no way they’d publicly admit that, right? Because that would sort of mean the government killed her.

I dont really understand this because that would mean they killed 100k other people too and nobodies saying that? outside of here.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont really understand this because that would mean they killed 100k other people too and nobodies saying that? outside of here.

Well, it might remind people.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/robmanuel/status/1452383525437587465

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mebh posted:

Though tbf nearly no Dutch people I knew used weed. It's almost like legalisation doesn't cause an explosion of use.

It's been a well known fact for many years, but sadly drug policy is rarely based of facts and evidence.

The last stats are from 2019, and these are the rankings of %% of the population who admit to using cannabis. I guess the actual number of people using cannabis will be higher, as not everyone will admit to using it when asked.

It's worth noting Portugal, which decriminalised all drugs 20 years ago.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 25, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Now you lot have me reading papers on cannabinoids and wastewater processing. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412019337055

Though tbf nearly no Dutch people I knew used weed. It's almost like legalisation doesn't cause an explosion of use.

Though the whole country doesn't really believe in preventative medicine either sooo.

Human waste is *fine* for fertiliser, at least for the end consumer. It's not as good as manure from herbivores but it does the job, and it's much better than digging up even more irreplaceable minerals.

It's not great for the farmers (or people nearby when they're spreading) as there's a very slightly increased chance of catching various fecal-oral diseases compared to conventional manure, and there are some potential other issues for the long-term condition of the soil, but they're not dumping turds on your salad. Fertiliser doesn't tend to get spread on growing crops because by that point it's a bit late. The bans on using human waste for fertiliser come from the worries about the soil condition (possibly overblown especially compared to all the other stuff we do to soil), not for a food safety reason.

(People might remember the e.coli outbreaks associated with lettuce in America but that's because, unfortunately, people working the harvest aren't given toilet facilities and, well... This is why you wash your veg *thoroughly* before using (and boil it to oblivion like British Jesus commands for extra safety).

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Human waste is *fine* for fertiliser, at least for the end consumer. It's not as good as manure from herbivores but it does the job, and it's much better than digging up even more irreplaceable minerals.

It's not great for the farmers (or people nearby when they're spreading) as there's a very slightly increased chance of catching various fecal-oral diseases compared to conventional manure, and there are some potential other issues for the long-term condition of the soil, but they're not dumping turds on your salad. Fertiliser doesn't tend to get spread on growing crops because by that point it's a bit late. The bans on using human waste for fertiliser come from the worries about the soil condition (possibly overblown especially compared to all the other stuff we do to soil), not for a food safety reason.

(People might remember the e.coli outbreaks associated with lettuce in America but that's because, unfortunately, people working the harvest aren't given toilet facilities and, well... This is why you wash your veg *thoroughly* before using (and boil it to oblivion like British Jesus commands for extra safety).

The articles I read said that this specific cargo of sludge "contains E Coli, salmonella, persistent organic pollutants, heavy metals, and is heavily contaminated with microplastics, making it unsuitable for agriculture"

But yes, wash your veg people.

Don't boil it into sludge though. That should be a crime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if "foreign peoples poo on your food" will finally be the thing that gets a reaction.

It's interesting that "religious, material, lifestyle and perhaps the most divisive, political" is where we're at, at least in the pages of the Sun.

Thousands of years of Europe literally setting people on fire over having a different god or the same god but a different book or the same god and book but different hats and it's Brexit and Jeremiad Crawley's motorway sitters that's the biggest modern relationship divide.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if "foreign peoples poo on your food" will finally be the thing that gets a reaction.

Unlikely. It'll fall into the same category as the pig slaughter or animal cruelty in mass farming. Nobody will really think about as long as you don't get literal turds in people's salad bags.

Lol. Nobody up here buys salad anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always wondered if the next revolution in food efficiency would be a piece of poo poo in a plastic tray that you microwave to body temperature and then drop into the toilet. After all the most inefficient bit isn't the prep or the heating or the cleaning up, it's the bit that happens between mouth and anus.

A light probably just went on at Huel HQ.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

EU: "EAT poo poo, UK! LITERALLY! OURS!"

The headlines write themselves.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 25, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

a piece of poo poo in a plastic tray that you microwave to body temperature and then drop into the toilet

ah I see you are familiar with Rustlers burgers

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 25, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

a piece of poo poo in a plastic tray that you microwave to body temperature and then drop into the toilet.

look, everyone needs a posting style.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I love that she doesn't realize that there might be significant political divides until he takes her home, despite wearing a shirt saying "NEVER TRUST A TORY." True art.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i don't care that she's a tory, i could never date someone with such far apart thought blobs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/resd9/status/1452247263795949583

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

British expats are themselves a human rights infringement IMO.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Brit[s] ... are themselves a human rights infringement IMO.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

therattle posted:

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands to use as manure. It contains human waste. Using it as manure is illegal in the EU.

The EU is literally making GBS threads on England.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You have to be respectful of other people's opinions, which is why you should dump that filthy red, stop associating with him and report him to prevent.

E: also the crustiest lefty extra they could find still looks like a 'before meth' photo of Laurence Fox.

Oh my god what the gently caress do they think fail Island can possibly do to Spai- oh no, wait, I know what they think we can do, and it will not go well for us.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 25, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

Jesus loving christ what...

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/44357/20200904/30-000-tons-sewage-sludge-netherlands-uk.htm

I... What.

How the gently caress do we even avoid that? I don't want carrots grown in Dutch poo. Or any poo. Christ.

Not even animal poo?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

That lawyer is going to own half those dumb-dumbs' villas by the time he's done grifting them

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh my god what the gently caress do they think fail Island can possibly do to Spai- oh no, wait, I know what they think we can do, and it will not go well for us.

Raise Francis Drake from the dead and let him give those dastardly Spaniards a taste of British steel (Made in China).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mebh posted:

Having lived there and being presented with the HR team on day one in full on blackface parading about at work, wow does calling them out on it cause some loving gammon behaviour. "it's just soot from the chimneys, it's tradition" they scream as they backpedal and in the same breath slag off immigrants. Most racist country I've ever lived in.

"it's just soot from the chimneys, it's tradition" they scream as they apply big red lips and a curly "afro" wig, things which famously happen when you enter a chimney.

This is a country that has thoroughly confronted its colonial past, and decided it was good, actually.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1452542271568728066

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Never knew Madeley was a weeb

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn was the absolute boy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Is the long-established Boomer dream of relocating to the Spanish coast and leisurely drinking yourself to death while surrounded by other immigrants (sorry, ex-pats) finally dying??

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not even animal poo?

My poo is animal poo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Football pubs are what keep our lucrative football kit framing industry solvent and you should be celebrating a British export success story

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mebh posted:

Jesus loving christ what...

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/44357/20200904/30-000-tons-sewage-sludge-netherlands-uk.htm

I... What.

How the gently caress do we even avoid that? I don't want carrots grown in Dutch poo. Or any poo. Christ.
If you really wanted to avoid it, buy organic. The Soil Association organic scheme prohibits the use of sludge, due to risks of contamination from heavy metals, plastics, etc.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1452541186590322692

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1452537965738070022

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 25, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

Football pubs are what keep our lucrative football kit framing industry solvent
Ah that's why there's stories of auld pervs sat at the bar with their sleeves soaked in chloroform.

e: ^^ "I first read that as 'This was the moment police were forced to stop driving a van at eco-protesters moments after angry commuters started dragging Insulate Britain out of the road.' and I'm still not sure which is worse.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 25, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is the long-established Boomer dream of relocating to the Spanish coast and leisurely drinking yourself to death while surrounded by other immigrants (sorry, ex-pats) finally dying??

rn Brit communities in Costa del Sol look exactly like the fort in Mad Max 2, except everyone is old and wrinkly and overweight and so are the Marauders who are retirees from EU countries, driving around in golf carts.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you really wanted to avoid it, buy organic. The Soil Association organic scheme prohibits the use of sludge, due to risks of contamination from heavy metals, plastics, etc.

p sure the average human turd is now at least 50% microplastics and heavy metals

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Love the a4 picture of the Queen lovingly printed out and stuck in the middle of the flag.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Cold War Steve never misses, does he?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ "I first read that as 'This was the moment police were forced to stop driving a van at eco-protesters moments after angry commuters started dragging Insulate Britain out of the road.' and I'm still not sure which is worse.

I have some sympathy for van drivers. The working conditions if they're a delivery person are utterly poo poo, and having your algorithm-generated schedule for the day - and therefore your slim hope that you'll be finished vaguely on time - ripped up because some morons decided to sit in a road would be really frustrating at least.
You probably shouldn't try to run people over while there are police right there, though. They'll probably arrest you for depriving them of the chance to kick the protesters' heads in.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1452545467645054981

Labour is the only party that will get economy firing the on all cylinders.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1452545467645054981

Labour is the only party that will get economy firing the on all cylinders.

Who knew graphic design was antisemitic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it my eyes or is it lib dem coloured?