Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They don't think Howl is balls, they just (correctly) think the rest of the movies are masterpieces and Howl is the only one that doesn't 100% work.

That’s good to hear. About the balls.

I have listened to every other Miyazaki Blank Check, and I agreed with what they said for each one, but I don’t rank Howl below every other film which is why I haven’t been able to bring myself to listen to it yet. It’s just me being sentimental really, about what was happening in my life when I first saw it.

It’s a good podcast, even better when the doughboys are on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Mitch, come bail out your cousin

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1451023821688000514?s=21

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Waterbed Wendy posted:

You had me then you lost me. Action Boyz are always entertaining to me.

Blank Check I listen to only when I like the movie. They did Miyazaki’s films and I had a blast listening to Ponyo, princess mononoke, spirited away etc, but they rated Howls Moving Castle at the bottom of their respective lists and i can’t bring myself to listen to that episode. I listened out of order so I heard their rankings first before I listened to the actual episodes, probably shouldn’t have done that because they say that every movie on that list is very very good, but still! It’s stupid I know, but still not ready to listen. What if they think Howl is balls?

They think it’s good

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Blank Check is basically my favorite podcast and we have a thread if anyone's interested.

yeah but it appears that no one has posted in it in a year?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GoutPatrol posted:

yeah but it appears that no one has posted in it in a year?
That's as much your fault as it is mine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e: wrong thread

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Listening to the weeks episode now, and I can confirm that Let Me Be Frank is the best thing the Doughboys have ever done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jokymi posted:

Listening to the weeks episode now, and I can confirm that Let Me Be Frank is the best thing the Doughboys have ever done.

the constantly elaborate and high effort buildup to 'okay let's google 'hot dog' and see what comes up' is literally the funniest podcast bit on earth

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

sexpig by night posted:

the constantly elaborate and high effort buildup to 'okay let's google 'hot dog' and see what comes up' is literally the funniest podcast bit on earth

The funniest podcast bit is Wiger singing a parody song over a track with the original lyrics, but fortunately that's a key element of this bit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Suckin' on a dog like you're suckin' on a titty

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

Suckin' on a dog like you're suckin' on a titty

literally will be in my head forever, real 'final dying thoughts' poo poo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I like blank check but sometimes it’s more of a want fest than I like. Especially when they really went to the mat for the Fast series and talked about the integrity of Vin Diesel.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Vin Diesel is the best

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
listening to the latest ep... hosed up that wiger is a bun thief but i cant say im surprised

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
That was an extremely long Doghouse ad segment.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5i9MtsJU8c

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

doughboys is gud

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Truly the best bit

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That was an extremely long Doghouse ad segment.

Given how halfass the guest's "passion" for food and cooking was, if anything it was an ad why you shouldn't eat there. "I didn't know I needed an emulsifier / binder for making sausage" wtf did you expect, that lean ground meat would somehow magically stick together otherwise? Thats like knowing you need to whisk your eggs for an omelet. I guess its a commendable amount of knowledge for some franchise owner or whatever, but not the person you want creating the recipes for your main menu offerings.

I was a line cook for years and a kitchen manager for a while, so I really like when they have guests on with any sort of culinary/foodservice background. I still feel like they need to have a real line cook or kitchen person on there as they get someone that is like 50% there on, and it adds a lot of depth and new territory to discuss, but then it never gets quite to 100% as it were.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ardemia posted:

Given how halfass the guest's "passion" for food and cooking was, if anything it was an ad why you shouldn't eat there. "I didn't know I needed an emulsifier / binder for making sausage" wtf did you expect, that lean ground meat would somehow magically stick together otherwise? Thats like knowing you need to whisk your eggs for an omelet. I guess its a commendable amount of knowledge for some franchise owner or whatever, but not the person you want creating the recipes for your main menu offerings.

I was a line cook for years and a kitchen manager for a while, so I really like when they have guests on with any sort of culinary/foodservice background. I still feel like they need to have a real line cook or kitchen person on there as they get someone that is like 50% there on, and it adds a lot of depth and new territory to discuss, but then it never gets quite to 100% as it were.

i love to hear about how their restaurant uses quality ingredients, fresh never frozen, to serve elevated american comfort food. a runny egg? holy poo poo

edit: yeah i didn't really mind the food knowledge part, tbf, just the way it felt like sponsored content at times

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 25, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ardemia posted:

I don’t think he thought he could make sausage without fat, just that temperature is critical to keep it from separating. Sausage making using normal household kitchen stuff can be pretty challenging at first, which I think is what he was describing when he was saying he was having trouble. You can’t just crack an egg in it like it’s meatloaf or something

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ardemia posted:

hosed up that the guy learned how to make hot dogs instead of having the knowledge from birth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardemia posted:

I was a line cook for years and a kitchen manager for a while

wow that’s amazing, I didn’t know this was even possible. they should make a biopic about you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rustproof is probably my favorite guest, he should be on every 6 weeks (either solo or with Cassidy)

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

Rustproof is probably my favorite guest, he should be on every 6 weeks (either solo or with Cassidy)

New No-No! You want Paul to travel to Mitch's place every every six weeks to guest host? We'll then he gets to go to Mitch's house every other six and not be on it!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

soggybagel posted:

I like blank check but sometimes it’s more of a want fest than I like. Especially when they really went to the mat for the Fast series and talked about the integrity of Vin Diesel.

the fast series is great but the podcast is extremely boring. even the supposedly "out there" takes are tedious and david is a charisma void. i listen to movie podcasts because the film critic community is populated by rubes and shills, i don't want three hours of the same opinions i ignore in legacy media and blogs pumped up with vc money that will be dead in three years.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've never listened to Blank Check but Griffin kind of pissed me off because he spent like 90 minutes talking poo poo about Muppets Haunted Mansion on Podcast the Ride after saying he liked it. I thought Muppets Haunted Mansion was genuinely enjoyable and a nitpick session was not my thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's possible to like something and think it's deeply flawed

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

the fast series is great but the podcast is extremely boring. even the supposedly "out there" takes are tedious and david is a charisma void. i listen to movie podcasts because the film critic community is populated by rubes and shills, i don't want three hours of the same opinions i ignore in legacy media and blogs pumped up with vc money that will be dead in three years.

I can't disagree with any of this, but I do find some of their discussions pretty interesting. Griffin is pretty unfunny though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

R. Guyovich posted:

the fast series is great but the podcast is extremely boring. even the supposedly "out there" takes are tedious and david is a charisma void.

Oh yeah, I've listened to at least four hours of them talking with the doughboys and couldn't remember the name of the not-Griffin host.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I can't disagree with any of this, but I do find some of their discussions pretty interesting. Griffin is pretty unfunny though.

He has his moments playing off Mitch and Nick but yeah on his own not the best. I heard their Robocop ep was supposed to be a highlight and gave it a download. deleted after ten minutes when Griffin kept repeating "robert cop" and there was still 2 hours to go

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

deleted after ten minutes when Griffin kept repeating "robert cop" and there was still 2 hours to go

lol see this makes me want to listen to that episode. to each their own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah Robert cop sounds funny

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Blank check is great, and even when it’s only so-so, it’s very casually listenable whereas other so-so podcast eps can be painful.

Speaking of,

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/1453391041428549633?s=21

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I have animosity toward blank check cause I downloaded their Clifford episode thinking it would be about Clifford's Really Big Movie but it was instead about some Martin Short movie no one watched

they do spend far too much time on bland film industry wank and have some of the worst ad breaks in the podcast world

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the only good podcast ad breaks are ones that have a musical bed under them so you know when to stop pressing forward 15/30

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I have animosity toward blank check cause I downloaded their Clifford episode thinking it would be about Clifford's Really Big Movie but it was instead about some Martin Short movie no one watched

Lmao

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ardemia posted:

. I guess its a commendable amount of knowledge for some franchise owner or whatever

I see someone's not a The Next Food Network Star fan... (they really should bring that show back, got a good stable of Guys Grocery Games judges out of it)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’m gonna need to hear Mitch review at least another two or three hundred large cokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Gabrus is so hammered in this