Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tsob posted:

If you mean when he sent him up in the crane to hold a possible shot on Thor when Thor was going for Mjolnir then that scene is lifted directly from Thor itself, and the main reason he could kill Thor is because Thor didn't have his power as an Asgardian anymore and was basically just a buff human.

That's fair, I just meant Hawkeye's job description there pretty clearly involves potential wetworks, and Fury explicitly references this. Hawkeye is an assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cage Kicker posted:

Clint seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly content shooting arrows at anyone no matter who it is, and it just so happens Nick Fury came along with the best salary+benefits package and explained that if he didn’t come work for SHIELD he would get assassinated by a tungsten rod getting dropped from a satellite at the speed of sound

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That is a sort of benefit.
Imagine reading a contract until you get to the benefits package where it simply says "we won't kill you now."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

That is a sort of benefit.
Imagine reading a contract until you get to the benefits package where it simply says "we won't kill you now."

Presumably the actual pay package was pretty good, too. Clint was able to support his family and keep his house in a near-constant state of remodeling. As someone who is undergoing some house remodels now, that poo poo is expensive.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cage Kicker posted:

Clint seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly content shooting arrows at anyone no matter who it is, and it just so happens Nick Fury came along with the best salary+benefits package

Thats actually a storyline in Deadpool. Bob from Hydra was going to join SHIELD, but it turned out Hydra covered dental and SHIELD did not, so Bob went to work for Hydra.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

swickles posted:

Thats actually a storyline in Deadpool. Bob from Hydra was going to join SHIELD, but it turned out Hydra covered dental and SHIELD did not, so Bob went to work for Hydra.

Absurdly impractical mobile flying bases are really expensive. Gotta cut costs somewhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dental Plan!
Helicarrier needs fuel!
Dental Plan!
Helicarrier needs fuel!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Dental Plan!
Helicarrier needs fuel!
Dental Plan!
Helicarrier needs fuel!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Helicarrier needs to scrapped and turned into braces for everyone on Earth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everyone posted:

Helicarrier needs to scrapped and turned into braces for everyone on Earth.

Tony Stark: I see a.... set of braces, around the world....

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jerusalem posted:

Ok. This made me laugh.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jerusalem posted:

Teenage of Ultron

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just found a Spider-man cartoon from 2017 on Disney Plus where they do the Superior Spider-man storyline (where Doc Ock kicks Parker's mind out of his body and puts him in a computer, then takes his body for his own).

I mean, it omits things like Ock-Spidey punching somebody's face off, and the bit where Parker's return to his own body is when he's in a fight with Norman/Goblin (substituting a weird version of Venom for that fight), but so far it's pretty good.

EDIT: Here it is! https://www.disneyplus.com/series/spider-man/5qBkPvo0L3mg

EDIT 2: This show is a weird amalgamation of the various Spider-man comics I've read, it's kinda neat and I like it.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 27, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why would they not do the Peter vs Norman interaction. That was an all time great page.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

A.o.D. posted:

Why would they not do the Peter vs Norman interaction. That was an all time great page.

Apparently Norman died for real in an earlier episode in a confrontation with The Jackal (he never became the Green Goblin in this show, or at least he hasn't yet) when the Jackal's base was destroyed. Harry has been kinda-sorta filling the Norman vs. Spidey niche in this show.

The Venom interaction was pretty good still, he tried to bond with Spider-Ock and got really upset when he realized it wasn't Peter. In this series every time Venom comes back from a defeat it loses a previous weakness, and this time around the Symbiote was able to freely roam about without a host--it just really wanted Peter back (it had previously lost it's vulnerability to sonic attacks and fire, so was pretty much unstoppable except for getting zapped with huge amounts of electricity).

Otto Octavius just died as a hero on the episode I just finished (instead of reverting to villain type), so it's going in directions I haven't seen on a Spider-man show now.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 27, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Dan Slott was a key player in that show, I don't think it's a coincidence it borrows so heavily from his run (right down to Otto dying a hero).

Didn't it have the actors from Cloak & Dagger reprising their roles?

A.o.D. posted:

I mean looking back 'At least I'll die knowing I never wore a man-purse' is kind of a crappy joke? And not crappy in the sense Peter tosses out bad jokes, but in the 'this feels vaguely homophobic' kind of way.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Dan Slott was a key player in that show, I don't think it's a coincidence it borrows so heavily from his run (right down to Otto dying a hero).

Didn't it have the actors from Cloak & Dagger reprising their roles?

I'd have to check, I don't remember ever watching a show about those two. Was that a CW thing?

EDIT: They showed up in a few episodes centering around The Regent as a bad guy and a one-off when Spider-Ock was running around mopping up criminals, but I didn't recognize the voice actors.

quote:

I mean looking back 'At least I'll die knowing I never wore a man-purse' is kind of a crappy joke? And not crappy in the sense Peter tosses out bad jokes, but in the 'this feels vaguely homophobic' kind of way.

Yeah. I think that mainly landed because of the *eyes narrowing, hissing* "It's you!" / "The one and only!" exchange at the end and not so much the homophobic joke before it (but then again, people are terrible).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 27, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In the middle of a cultural moment where there's a giant panic about supposed men insisting we're women to trick you all into sex or assault your children in bathrooms?

Yeah. Maybe don't do the man-purse joke.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

There's a new Assembled dedicated to the What if... show. Just letting you all know, gonna check it out later.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'd have to check, I don't remember ever watching a show about those two. Was that a CW thing?
Two seasons on Freeform. It was good. Available on Hulu atm.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems more like a bad fashion joke than a "no homo" joke, but then, I've never seen any men with something that might qualify as a manpurse (I don't live in a particularly metropolitan area, and my country is fairly small and conservative in general), and I don't have a lot of experience with gay people of any stripe outside media. Not openly so, at least, I guess. Are manpurses a prevalent fashion choice amongst gay men? Is it just a cliche association?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think "Man purse" = "Fannypack" and it's absolutely a homophobic-adjacent reference.

Or at least it was back in the 1980s when I last heard someone being made fun of for wearing one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Two seasons on Freeform. It was good. Available on Hulu atm.

I'll second that it's good. And a lot of people haven't seen it, so check it out if you're hankering for more MCU content.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

It's consistent with Spiderman's well-documented homophobia.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wait, are man purses a gay thing? I thought they were just a bad idea made even more ridiculous by how often they are made to look as macho as possible.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Only women are allowed to carry a bags, only men get to wear clothes with pockets sewn in. Nonbinary people are the only ones who can actually carry all their poo poo around with them.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nameless Pete posted:

Only women are allowed to carry a bags, only men get to wear clothes with pockets sewn in. Nonbinary people are the only ones who can actually carry all their poo poo around with them.

being non-binary is actually pretty great for that if you can deal with the utter garbage cis people

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nameless Pete posted:

Men wear bags all the time; it's just mostly in the form of backpacks, shoulder bags (especially for laptops), briefcases or even carrier bags; not really purses. Or something with a similar style, given that shoulder bags have some similarity in function/form with a purse.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

aBagorn posted:

being non-binary is actually pretty great for that if you can deal with the utter garbage cis people

I'm genderfluid so everyone's clothes belong to me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I feel like fanny-packs aren't mocked because they're a "man-purse" but because they're dorky as hell, like the trope of a nerd in a movie that carries his inhaler around in one.

Though it feels like they're becoming more in fashion if you have a fancy brand of one and have it slung across your chest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tsob posted:

It seems more like a bad fashion joke than a "no homo" joke
You should probably know that "I don't see it that way" is the response we always get. Always. No matter how blatant the queerphobia in a piece of fiction, this is how all the shittiest people in the world respond and I genuinely believe you don't want to be like them or I'd just call you an rear end in a top hat and move on.

Things like this don't need to be a referendum on whether or not you're a bad person for liking a product. I'm one of the most insufferable SJWs you'll ever meet and one of my favorite hobbies is schlock nights where my group exposes each other to some of the sleaziest poo poo imaginable for fun, and when the inevitable yikes arises, it's the opposite of a big deal.

"That was gross."

"Yup. Moving on."

That's really all this warrants.

But whenever I say something as innocuous as "that joke wasn't the best," I have to get into a loving dialectic about it because folks equate them liking a thing that did something problematic with they themselves being problematic and ironically become problematic in an effort to deflect when "yeah, that wasn't the best" is, for the most part, the sum total of expectation as to having a little empathy.

People mock men for doing anything girly to the point that a loving sack becomes gendered, and it's definitely, unambiguously, queerphobic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LividLiquid posted:

You should probably know that "I don't see it that way" is the response we always get. Always. No matter how blatant the queerphobia in a piece of fiction, this is how all the shittiest people in the world respond and I genuinely believe you don't want to be like them or I'd just call you an rear end in a top hat and move on.

I'm sure it is common, but it might be common because people's lived experiences differ and I'd hope that simply noting it while asking if other people perceive it differently doesn't make you lovely. Just because you feel it's blatant doesn't mean other people do. I certainly didn't. If this thread hadn't pointed out that it's homophobic I genuinely would never have known, and even with it pointed out I'm still unsure why. It doesn't sound like there's a cliché association (real or imagined) with gay people themselves, so much as just people associate purses with women; so any man with one is bad and that's rendered as "gay" as an easy reach for bad? Is that right? That confusion is why I questioned it. I'd also imagine that just because it's blatantly insulting doesn't mean it's intentionally insulting. That doesn't make it okay, obviously, but it does mean the person doing it might do it differently if they knew that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 27, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a European carry all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm sure it is common, but it might be common because people's lived experiences differ and I'd hope that simply noting it while asking if other people perceive it differently doesn't make you lovely. Just because you feel it's blatant doesn't mean other people do. I certainly didn't. If this thread hadn't pointed out that it's homophobic I genuinely would never have known, and even with it pointed out I'm still unsure why. It doesn't sound like there's a cliché association (real or imagined) with gay people themselves, so much as just people associate purses with women; so any man with one is bad and that's rendered as "gay" as an easy reach for bad? Is that right? That confusion is why I questioned it. I'd also imagine that just because it's blatantly insulting doesn't mean it's intentionally insulting. That doesn't make it okay, obviously, but it does mean the person doing it might do it differently if they knew that.

"men doing things women do is gay"

that's it, that's the connection. it's not a very complex one

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Man purses are ugly is all he meant. Conversation over. Moving on I finally saw Shang-Chi last night and thought it was great. Good movie, Marvel still got it, can’t wait for the next. :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tsob posted:

Welp, you're an rear end in a top hat and I wasted my time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I read Superior Spider-Man for the first time this year and remember raising an eyebrow at that joke. It's not really worth defending either because as another poster's said, the great bit of the exchange is Norman instantly realising that the joke means Peter is back. You could change it to a jab about Goblin's dumb little purple hat and it wouldn't lose anything.

It's okay to be critical of bits of media that age poorly! You can still enjoy them! I've been reading a bunch of 60s Marvel comics and they have some wild views about how women's brains work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still can't get over how people still think saying they don't think a thing is happening means it isn't happening.

We could solve so many problems that way!

Thermodynamics? gently caress you! I don't see it that way and my opinion is as good as yours.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

LividLiquid posted:

I still can't get over how people still think saying they don't think a thing is happening means it isn't happening.

We could solve so many problems that way!

Thermodynamics? gently caress you! I don't see it that way and my opinion is as good as yours.

I know, right?

"No, you see, when Spider-man calls him the f-word what he really means is that he's a bundle of sticks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I'm sure it is common, but it might be common because people's lived experiences differ and I'd hope that simply noting it while asking if other people perceive it differently doesn't make you lovely. Just because you feel it's blatant doesn't mean other people do. I certainly didn't. If this thread hadn't pointed out that it's homophobic I genuinely would never have known, and even with it pointed out I'm still unsure

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it’s not my personal reaction/life experience or the people’s I know reaction/life experience that matter. If I’m travelling to the southern US and see a sign that says “Jesus Saves” as much as I might like to spray “disclaimer: offer only valid for straight white men” I still wouldn’t. My friends would find it funny but I don’t want to be a jerk so I just think it, chuckle and move on. Why? Because it might make people upset. I would not like to make people upset, even those people. I try and think that maybe I don’t understand how someone who was born and raised like that might feel so try and empathise and see it from their side, even though I don’t see anything wrong with it. Say I meet a guy who has become sober and a big part of his 12 steps is a higher power giving him strength to overcome his addiction. Do I try and force him to realise the power to overcome was in him all along? If I see a woman wearing a hijab do I go into the benefits of feminism and talking about she doesn’t have to wear that in the West? If I see a kid excited about Santa should I tell him that Santa is not real, his parents place the presents and suck it up crybaby? Answer is no to all of those if I want them to feel happy and comfortable. I don’t have to agree and understand anything aside from the simple fact that, if I want to be a decent person then maybe I shouldn’t make them uncomfortable and upset.

When I was 12 I used to use a word many of us did in the early 00s. Later on a friend came out and I wondered why it took him so long. Why was he so nervous? Part of it was his family, part was general society and part was us, his friends. He was worried we would judge him. Why? Partly the language we used growing up. Yes it was commonplace at the time but maybe it’s better if we don’t stick to things as they were back in the day. Part of making a new and maybe far better way is trying to understand things from the point of view of others and accounting on how our actions and words effect them. I’m not white and the people I grew up around were very old school so this was all unknown to me. I had to learn. I’m hoping you were genuine in your lack of understanding as well as not wanting to be a jerk so I am wishing this helps. Funny thing is when we cast aside the old ways and question ourselves we might find out that maybe we share more than we thought at first. Maybe we will also be happier trying to do differently. The old world kinda sucked yaknow.

As an aside I loved Otto Spidey but Goblin’s face and reaction when he realised it was Parker really was the best part of the joke. Mocking Gobbo’s purple hippy hat so far from the 90s would have also been valid. When will we get Pizza Dog?

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 28, 2021