Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/wonderofscience/status/1451883809360596993?s=20

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Isn't obsidian also incredibly sharp? Break it in just the right way & it has an edge that's measured in microns.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

yeah I was really fukkin nervous when he slid his fingers along the face

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Isn't obsidian also incredibly sharp? Break it in just the right way & it has an edge that's measured in microns.

Microns? Pshaw, a good fracture gets you down to single-atom thickness, i.e. nanometres.

Actually I'm not sure that's true, the Wikipedia reference doesn't actually back up that claim, and 5 minutes of searching doesn't bring up anything better. I would bet it's better than 1 micron: because glass is brittle and not made of different grains, it's extremely natural for it to break along essentially perfect edges. You get the same thing with glass or silicon crystals. It's really easy to break them along a straight line if you score them first, because there's no irregularities that make the atoms want to break apart in any other way.

I don't think that would be true about the edge of that boulder: there's obviously all sorts of other stuff disrupting the edge and leading to a imperfect structure.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I want to touch the forbidden lava egg.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

LeastActionHero posted:

Microns? Pshaw, a good fracture gets you down to single-atom thickness, i.e. nanometres.

Actually I'm not sure that's true, the Wikipedia reference doesn't actually back up that claim, and 5 minutes of searching doesn't bring up anything better. I would bet it's better than 1 micron: because glass is brittle and not made of different grains, it's extremely natural for it to break along essentially perfect edges. You get the same thing with glass or silicon crystals. It's really easy to break them along a straight line if you score them first, because there's no irregularities that make the atoms want to break apart in any other way.

I don't think that would be true about the edge of that boulder: there's obviously all sorts of other stuff disrupting the edge and leading to a imperfect structure.

https://www.finescience.com/en-US/Products/Scalpels-Blades/Micro-Knives/Obsidian-Scalpels

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The Mayan Macuahuitl is pretty badass, they'd put obsidian blades in a wood club.
Sadly there are no originals left

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh neat. I've seen those before in the Road to El Dorado, but I never thought to wonder what the fin things were.
I hope their enemies had already developed full body armour :ohdear:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh neat. I've seen those before in the Road to El Dorado, but I never thought to wonder what the fin things were.
I hope their enemies had already developed full body armour :ohdear:

I recall hearing that contemporary reports stated they could decapitate a horse in one blow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe cloth armour was most common at the time and in that part of the world, so certainly not the ideal thing you would want to fight a guy with a sword made of scalpels in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

I believe cloth armour was most common at the time and in that part of the world, so certainly not the ideal thing you would want to fight a guy with a sword made of scalpels in.

Woven armor, yeah. Macuahuitls were very dangerous, very well-designed weapons for the cultures and wars that used them.

The problem is that they weren't useful against the metal armor that the Spanish wore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Point Reyes Crater in California is loving insane and I can't believe I just heard about it today:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Some people get itchy when they read or hear about lice. That crater is giving me toothache.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LeastActionHero posted:

: because glass is brittle and not made of different grains, it's extremely natural for it to break along essentially perfect edges. You get the same thing with glass or silicon crystals. It's really easy to break them along a straight line if you score them first, because there's no irregularities that make the atoms want to break apart in any other way.

Glass is very different from crystal. That's the distinguishing thing about glass, it's a non-crystalline solid. It's essentially all irregularity, with no long-range order at all. Glass doesn't have any natural planes of separation, it fractures conchoidally, and obsidian blades aren't clean perfect edges. They're knapped.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Glass is very different from crystal. That's the distinguishing thing about glass, it's a non-crystalline solid. It's essentially all irregularity, with no long-range order at all. Glass doesn't have any natural planes of separation, it fractures conchoidally, and obsidian blades aren't clean perfect edges. They're knapped.

Knap you pal :mad:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The basic, necessary skill for knapping is the controlled removal of individual flakes and large ones can have single perfect edges. While these are often then 'retouched' (removal of many small flakes along the edge) in order to create a less brittle blade (by making the cutting edge less thin) they do not have to be. Unmodified fresh flint (or obsidian) flakes have edges sharper than surgical steel, edges so sharp that the cuts they make can heal leaving virtually no scar (which is why obsidian blades are used in eye surgery). I used to work with a very good knapper and one of his minor peeves was that all the truly impressive accidental cuts he'd made on his hands while learning the craft had left no really noticeable scars.

freelop posted:

The Mayan Macuahuitl is pretty badass, they'd put obsidian blades in a wood club.
Sadly there are no originals left
Interestingly the obsidian blades in the reconstruction image here shows blades that have been polished/ground into their final form not knapped - there are no conchoidal flake removal scars visible at all - this would create a cutting edge much, much duller than even a retouched knapped one. This could be because it's a modern made replica and it's easier these days to find someone to machine grind down chunks of obsidian than it is to find a capable knapper of course (see also the modern 'arrow heads' often sold in new-agey shops and the like). Unfortunately there are no surviving examples of actual Mayan Macuahuitls left but I suspect that their blades will have been knapped not ground.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

The basic, necessary skill for knapping is the controlled removal of individual flakes and large ones can have single perfect edges. While these are often then 'retouched' (removal of many small flakes along the edge) in order to create a less brittle blade (by making the cutting edge less thin) they do not have to be. Unmodified fresh flint (or obsidian) flakes have edges sharper than surgical steel, edges so sharp that the cuts they make can heal leaving virtually no scar (which is why obsidian blades are used in eye surgery). I used to work with a very good knapper and one of his minor peeves was that all the truly impressive accidental cuts he'd made on his hands while learning the craft had left no really noticeable scars.

Interestingly the obsidian blades in the reconstruction image here shows blades that have been polished/ground into their final form not knapped - there are no conchoidal flake removal scars visible at all - this would create a cutting edge much, much duller than even a retouched knapped one. This could be because it's a modern made replica and it's easier these days to find someone to machine grind down chunks of obsidian than it is to find a capable knapper of course (see also the modern 'arrow heads' often sold in new-agey shops and the like). Unfortunately there are no surviving examples of actual Mayan Macuahuitls left but I suspect that their blades will have been knapped not ground.

Maybe it's like modern replica swords for display, purposely left dull for safety? If it's sharp someone's eventually going to try test the theory and decapitate a horse.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Maybe it's like modern replica swords for display, purposely left dull for safety? If it's sharp someone's eventually going to try test the theory and decapitate a horse.

Yeah I mean you hand me one of those and say "btw this can decapitate a horse obvs don't do that" I can tell you right away the first thing I'd be doing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
RIP Gigantesco, thought of a Macuahuitl and died.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I mean you hand me one of those and say "btw this can decapitate a horse obvs don't do that" I can tell you right away the first thing I'd be doing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i've hiked past that multiple times, i wonder what it looks like now...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have heard (but cannot confirm) that macuahuitls were mostly a prestige and ceremonial weapon, because if you actually used it in battle you'd subsequently have to replace a bunch of the blades which was both expensive and a pain in the rear end.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Lone Badger posted:

I have heard (but cannot confirm) that macuahuitls were mostly a prestige and ceremonial weapon, because if you actually used it in battle you'd subsequently have to replace a bunch of the blades which was both expensive and a pain in the rear end.

Otoh, if your enemies know you use one in battle, you will have to fight fewer battles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mesoamerican equivalent of an american guided missile.

Pretty good but probably costs more than the thing you blew up with it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Lone Badger posted:

I guess you could still batter people to death with it like Miyamoto Musashi

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gort posted:

In this vein I think most of the weapons that were actually used (rather than ceremonial) were much simpler to make (much like a boat oar)...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
drat, I never heard of this guy.

"According to the introduction of The Book of Five Rings, Musashi states that his first successful duel was at the age of 13, against a samurai named Arima Kihei who fought using the Kashima Shintō-ryū style, founded by Tsukahara Bokuden (b. 1489, d. 1571). The main source of the duel is the Hyoho senshi denki ("Anecdotes about the Deceased Master"). Summarized, its account goes as follows:

In 1596, Musashi was 13, and Arima Kihei, who was traveling to hone his art, posted a public challenge in Hirafuku-mura. Musashi wrote his name on the challenge. A messenger came to Dorin's temple, where Musashi was staying, to inform Musashi that his duel had been accepted by Kihei. Dorin, Musashi's uncle, was shocked by this, and tried to beg off the duel in Musashi's name, based on his nephew's age. Kihei was adamant that the only way his honour could be cleared was if Musashi apologized to him when the duel was scheduled. So when the time set for the duel arrived, Dorin began apologizing for Musashi, who merely charged at Kihei with a six-foot quarterstaff, shouting a challenge to Kihei. Kihei attacked with a wakizashi, but Musashi threw Kihei on the floor, and while Kihei tried to get up, Musashi struck Arima between the eyes and then beat him to death. Arima was said to have been arrogant, overly eager to battle, and not a terribly talented swordsman."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gort posted:

you batter them senseless so you can take them home with you and offer their livings hearts to the Gods.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was going to make a snide remark about not knowing one of the most famous Japanese swordsman but then I realized I read The Book of the Five Rings as a 13 year-old and the Weeb Alarm went off when I pointed it at the mirror.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I learned about him the way most people learn about history these days, via Kate Beaton's webcomics

quote:

Ohh Sasaki Kojiro you should not have run your mouth

(oh I should also mention that he carved a sword from the boat oar they say, but man it was still a boat oar. There was no room for a carving scene! I squish things enough). Anyway yeah he also knew drat well what he was doin'

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=40

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DandyLion posted:

In this vein I think most of the weapons that were actually used (rather than ceremonial) were much simpler to make (much like a boat oar)...

The aztecs were definitely keen on wooden clubs (often paddle-shaped, but lacking blades) because you got more captives that way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The aztecs loved Dazed and confused too?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
if I recall, there's theories that warfare focused on captives, so that the winners could publicly executing them en masse; it's reasonable to see a practice like this could have served to assert dominance over the population, and reduce the number of actual deaths from battle itself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The aztecs loved Dazed and confused too?

You struck with the thin side. It increases the cross-sectional density of the weapon, partially compensating for the fact that wood isn't that dense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Incas came up with another solution to that kind of problem. They developed a unique polearm with a broad tip designed to crush and bludgeon rather than pierce when the polearm is thrust.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Paddle-shaped wooden clubs may also have been a fairly common weapon in Neolithic Europe:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...BF3E1870044A60B

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Rascar Capac posted:

Paddle-shaped wooden clubs may also have been a fairly common weapon in Neolithic Europe:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...BF3E1870044A60B

Also in some parts of Polynesia, sometimes with shark teeth added for added nastiness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiomano

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

quote:

The tip of the handle also may utilize a marlin bill as a dagger.

Firstly, utterly badass.
Secondly, how on earth were these people catching marlin and great whites ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lots of practice, one assumes. You live in the middle of the pacific long enough you probably figure it out.