Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Noah Caldwell-Gervais videos are just him talking over footage that is basically almost irrelevant to what he's saying. as far as i can tell he just uses whatever footage of him playing the game he has and doesn't do anything fancy like showing what he's talking about on screen. he gets $10,000 a month and has never been a Video Games Journalist Working For Kotaku Dot Com

what i'm saying is, i do not think T Rog needs to worry about making stupid 4K video, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
but also, holy poo poo, even Nicky G is getting 10k a month???

i'm getting in on this racket, baby!!!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Between this and Robert Florence being announced as a host I'm starting to believe this will be legit awesome!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

boz posted:

Yeah but if you had enough people watching to make enough to live on it might not be the same story. That's why I'm glad you keepin it small

There are definitely bigger time streamers who play whatever they want but yeah, a lot of bigger name ones play 1 game or 1 series with a gimmick and that's it. Must be ROUGH.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

boz posted:

I don't see how you could stream video games for a living and still enjoy playing them.

You never get to pick what you want to play, only really able to play games that people want to watch you play.

Yeah I mean, imagine being like a Mario streamer and you have amassed 7000 subs, and then you decide you want to play something that isn't Mario and 90% of your fanbase leaving.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Yeah, some of them seem like monkey paw wishes

"I wish I could make money playing videogames all day"
- gets stuck playing CoD or Fortnite every day until the end of time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ricky Gervais does gamer streams now because the edgy atheist market is tapped dry?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On the contrary, that’s where you find the edgy atheists now.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

boz posted:

Yeah, some of them seem like monkey paw wishes

"I wish I could make money playing videogames all day"
- gets stuck playing CoD or Fortnite every day until the end of time

Sometimes I hop on twitch at like 7am EST when I get to work when it's quiet and I think about how cool it would be to get paid to play video games.

And then I remember that these people got out of bed (or stayed up all night) to performatively play a game they play for 80 hours a week and I realize its...probably not that great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

A lot of streamers have sidegigs in the industry without being 100% dedicated to their channels. Many are actors themselves and play games to keep their audience engaged in between jobs, which seems to work out pretty well for them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I put Tim Rogers’ 3 hour Pac-Man video on in the background while I farted around in Death Stranding all afternoon and I’m a changed man, now firmly on Team Tim.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

History Comes Inside! posted:

I put Tim Rogers’ 3 hour Pac-Man video on in the background while I farted around in Death Stranding all afternoon and I’m a changed man, now firmly on Team Tim.

Now its time for the 6 hour tokimeki memorial video. (it's the best thing he's ever made)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

not he aint, the space dude is.

also lol, are they bringing the mag back too?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

boz posted:

I don't see how you could stream video games for a living and still enjoy playing them.

You never get to pick what you want to play, only really able to play games that people want to watch you play.

lol. you absolutely get to pick what you want to play. bosman does it. veeg does it. lots of streamers do it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/25/horizon-forbidden-west-master-aloys-new-abilities/

Game's gonna be pretty great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real talk if you wanna kick some money into a gamer Patreon that will never finish his projects please consider Ulillillia. He's on Patreon now. He is currently unable to work retail jobs like he was due to anxiety issues around Covid.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Real talk if you wanna kick some money into a gamer Patreon that will never finish his projects please consider Ulillillia. He's on Patreon now. He is currently unable to work retail jobs like he was due to anxiety issues around Covid.

The bubsy 3d pizza degreasing guy?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"clean women"?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Holy poo poo Ulillillia got an actual job around members of the public?

I’m way behind on my Uli lore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still need to find a good SSD for my PS5. I hope to get one with an attached heatsink, but if I can only find a 980 how hard would it be to attach one?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arist posted:

I still need to find a good SSD for my PS5. I hope to get one with an attached heatsink, but if I can only find a 980 how hard would it be to attach one?

They're all super easy to install.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of streamers have sidegigs in the industry without being 100% dedicated to their channels. Many are actors themselves and play games to keep their audience engaged in between jobs, which seems to work out pretty well for them.

This is probably the best way to do it. It's never just one monetization stream, because being beholden to exactly one authority is a real good way to get dicked hard and deep. Entertainment and advertisement are the same exact thing, so the smart ones drop the pretense and just do that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fridge corn posted:

I mean theoretically speaking isnt YouTube/Patreon monetisation sort of democratising content creation/wealth generation in such a way that if you are from a low income background you are more likely to earn a decent living making videos than the traditional route of higher education -> high paying job?

Like in a similar vein how i cant really begrudge how much money star athletes earn, I dont really see the problem with youtubers earning buck for their content

I've found myself in the same boat, now that I'm older. I was still young when YouTube (as a "career") started taking off, and I even had a pretty popular source of entertaining videos (Guitar Hero gameplay.) Of course, I didn't foresee literal children making actual life-changing money just by making YouTube videos, so I didn't stick to it.

Nowadays, I respect the hustle, even if the top 1% are paid ridiculously more than the remaining 99%. I just hope the majority of these kids (or their parents) have the presence of mind to hire a financial advisor. Giving a million dollars to the average teenager is not bound to end up well for them 10 years later, when nobody is around to watch some stinky old adult talk about Roblox, that game that came out forever ago. You can make a lot of money on YouTube, but it's not a career (unless you just happen to break into that 1% -- go hog wild!)

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 25, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
ok qop

ok

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

enojy posted:

I've found myself in the same boat, now that I'm older. I was still young when YouTube (as a "career") started taking off, and I even had a pretty popular source of entertaining videos (Guitar Hero gameplay.) Of course, I didn't foresee literal children making actual life-changing money just by making YouTube videos, so I didn't stick to it.

Nowadays, I respect the hustle, even if the top 1% are paid ridiculously more than the remaining 99%. I just hope the majority of these kids (or their parents) have the presence of mind to hire a financial advisor. Giving a million dollars to the average teenager is not bound to end up well for them 10 years later, when nobody is around to watch some stinky old adult talk about Roblox, that game that came out forever ago. You can make a lot of money on YouTube, but it's not a career (unless you just happen to break into that 1% -- go hog wild!)

very few of those people “broke into” the 1%, they had rich parents who bankrolled their success like usual

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

loool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Actually it’s the kids being successful at streaming videogames that are wrong and owned

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

And don't even get me started on how Bluepoint totally ignored the original Demon Soul's Sugondese influence in their remake.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh poo poo I'll kick into that for a few months. I used to love reading his website to fall asleep.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao he looks like dogshit in RE7, like a GI Joe figurine, and like a normal, slightly heftier guy in the second one. What’s the issue?

I actually like the way he looks in re7 it’s the closest to the original Chris from re1. I hate the insanely buff Chris from 5 and 6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Noob Saibot posted:

I actually like the way he looks in re7 it’s the closest to the original Chris from re1. I hate the insanely buff Chris from 5 and 6.

RE5 Chris looks more like RE1 Chris than 7's does.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Playing Ratchet and Clank for the first time and lol Mr. Zurkon owns

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Playing Ratchet and Clank for the first time and lol Mr. Zurkon owns

Yeah he does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

History Comes Inside! posted:

Holy poo poo Ulillillia got an actual job around members of the public?

I’m way behind on my Uli lore.

He agreed a very good level of independence. Moved to Florida, got his own apartment, and became an employee at Wal-Mart who performed very well in store review metrics, even bought and fully paid off his own car. But when COVID came around he basically could no longer work because wearing a mask gives him crippling anxiety, not the way chuds pretend it's an infringement on their liberty, but the way that he actually has very high levels of anxiety and can't do some ordinary things like walking in front of a mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
mr zurkon is like a borderlands character except somehow funny