Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bad Munki posted:

I’m interested

Would it be suitable for a shop for after hours tidy up or is this more a house kind of thing?

I have no idea honestly I just saw that it was available the last time I bought a tool from them. But it is Makita and therefore superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Literally A Ghost posted:

I have no idea honestly I just saw that it was available the last time I bought a tool from them. But it is Makita and therefore superior.

Yeah nevermind, didn’t realize it was over a grand, ha.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just bought a drat Ryobi glue gun because my wife wanted it. I’m never gonna see my single 18+ battery ever again.

I’m all DeWalt tools, with the exception of a Ryobi backpack sprayer and pool toy inflator.

Anyone ever buy knockoff batteries, or will they just die in 3 weeks and melt my tools?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0Ah-For-RYOBI-P108-18V-One-Plus-High-Capacity-Battery-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-New-/274599228511

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

powderific posted:

I’ve had a few roombas over the years and they’ve all been pretty good. One big nice thing is they’re fairly serviceable for what they are and you can get spare parts and whatnot.

I can attest to how easy they are to tear down - one of my dogs had an.....uh.....unfortunate accident on my friends roomba in the middle of the night (it was super hot and he was over-heated).

:nms:

Was able to do a full tear-down and cleanup with just the basic hand tools my buddy had on hand and zero manual/instructions - it was super clear and obvious how it came apart. God bless the engineer who added this plastic shield above the mother board (seen after cleaning), they saved me from having to clean liquid dog poo poo out of discrete electronics with a toothbrush.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ROJO posted:

Was able to do a full tear-down and cleanup with just the basic hand tools my buddy had on hand and zero manual/instructions - it was super clear and obvious how it came apart. God bless the engineer who added this plastic shield above the mother board (seen after cleaning), they saved me from having to clean liquid dog poo poo out of discrete electronics with a toothbrush.

LMAO my wife wants one of these things, you just sold me on Roomba vs the other brands. I have kids not pets, but I wouldn't put anything past them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
To just continue a bit on the discussion from a couple of pages back. If you want to see creative way that poo poo bought in hardware stores has been used in surgeries, check out the "Rebel Surgeon". Used bicycles spokes to fix fractures, mosquito netting to fix hernias etc. Did this because the people otherwise would be without any help.

His website (Which is super NSFW. Don't go here unless you can handle watching surgeries etc: https://obstetrics.home.blog/

He had a lecture for us interns a while back.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Disappointed that "vacuum extraction" doesn't use a shop vac

Also on robo vacuums I have the Dyson one and can't really recommend it. The machine itself is ok in operation but it seems to somehow forget it's schedule and eventually the battery gets discharged while it's in its station. It's quite expensive as well.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 25, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ROJO posted:

I can attest to how easy they are to tear down - one of my dogs had an.....uh.....unfortunate accident on my friends roomba in the middle of the night (it was super hot and he was over-heated).

:nms:

The high-end roomba has a camera for “dog poo poo detection” now lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just bought a drat Ryobi glue gun because my wife wanted it. I’m never gonna see my single 18+ battery ever again.

I’m all DeWalt tools, with the exception of a Ryobi backpack sprayer and pool toy inflator.

Anyone ever buy knockoff batteries, or will they just die in 3 weeks and melt my tools?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0Ah-For-RYOBI-P108-18V-One-Plus-High-Capacity-Battery-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-New-/274599228511

I usually just use a small battery with the ryobi hot glue gun (some 1.2 or 1.5Ah came with a 7 tool kit I got started with). Maybe get one or two from direct tools outlet which specialized in factory blemished or reconditioned stuff:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/P..._Chargers&text=

Their best deals are when there's sales but right now there's some 2Ah for $30 (factory reconditioned), 4Ah for $40 (factory reconditioned) and the big sale event has a 6Ah for $99 (which is huge but not an amazing deal in comparison but it's factory blemished so new and not reconditioned).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rexxed posted:

I usually just use a small battery with the ryobi hot glue gun (some 1.2 or 1.5Ah came with a 7 tool kit I got started with). Maybe get one or two from direct tools outlet which specialized in factory blemished or reconditioned stuff:

Their best deals are when there's sales but right now there's some 2Ah for $30 (factory reconditioned), 4Ah for $40 (factory reconditioned) and the big sale event has a 6Ah for $99 (which is huge but not an amazing deal in comparison but it's factory blemished so new and not reconditioned).

This is what I would do. I wouldn't trust a 30 dollar ebay battery pack. Can you even buy the cells to put inside that pack for 30 dollars?

If you live next to a direct tools outlet store, you might even grab them a little cheaper. I was there this weekend and they had some bins of just loose batteries for not a bunch of money. I don't need anymore, but it was tempting. I picked up the 330 lumen lantern while I was there. The dual temp glue gun was tempting, but I'd use it maybe once a year so I passed for now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

While we're on the topic of Ryobi battery stuff, we bought the little flashlight on the loose tools deal ages ago, that thing puts out a ridiculous amount of light and we use it nearly every day. I keep a 2 Ah battery in it and it draws so little power I have never seen it draw a battery down even 1 pip. I'll end up burgling the battery for another tool and throwing a charged one in again later before it ever goes down.

It's a crazy good buy if you have any extra 18v Ryobi batteries around, even old dwindling ones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Awesome thanks!

And re: Roombas, don’t buy one unless it has the self-emptying tower. Absolute game-changer and by far the best feature. I’ve got the i8+ Costco version. It’s an i7 and comes with a bigger battery and a handful of spare parts. I have a bunch of kids and this thing rules once you clean up the toy explosion from the floors.

I’ve also got the m6 Braava Jet mop. It’s nice, but it takes 2-3x as long to cover the same area as the Roomba. Which is fine, but the cleaning algorithm definitely has some flaws in it. Sometimes it’ll do a few rooms and call it good and return to home. It has a hard time with tile to hardwood transitions too. It’ll try a bunch of times to get over the bump then just give up on probably 30% of my runs, so I have to go move it 3 inches and hit the clean button again.

That said, even with the bugs and annoyances, I much prefer it over actually mopping the floors.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Friend of mine got given a broken Roomba, that just needed a little fixing to get working. So he got it working, and it worked great in his single story home with tile throughout. 'lil robot could get almost everywhere. He also had two Labradors.

One day while at work, he was checking in on his security cameras remotely to check on the dogs, because one of them was looking a little sluggish and sick that morning. The poor dog had diarrhea, and sprayed a puddle in the middle of the kitchen. Then he got to watch helplessly over the cameras as the Roomba activated and spent the next few hours brushing a thin glaze of doggy diarrhea over about 2/3rds of the floor surface area of his house.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just bought a 2pack of 6amp for $50 as one of my 4amp ones went bad. The Chinese vendor, who has 1500+ feedback says 5 year guarantee which I did not take seriously. But, they both took over an hour to charge from half to full, which I took as initially a good sign. And my drill did not burn up on usage. But, I suppose buyer beware.

In other subjects-
I use a Miele cat & dog upright. It has a bag. We had a shark prior to that, and I gave that thing away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Friend of mine got given a broken Roomba, that just needed a little fixing to get working. So he got it working, and it worked great in his single story home with tile throughout. 'lil robot could get almost everywhere. He also had two Labradors.

One day while at work, he was checking in on his security cameras remotely to check on the dogs, because one of them was looking a little sluggish and sick that morning. The poor dog had diarrhea, and sprayed a puddle in the middle of the kitchen. Then he got to watch helplessly over the cameras as the Roomba activated and spent the next few hours brushing a thin glaze of doggy diarrhea over about 2/3rds of the floor surface area of his house.

:lol: Reddit is full of these stories. With the upper models you can at least stop it remotely via the app if you somehow notice it. Most of the time it’s too late.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have a bunch of oriental rugs in my house with the little tassel strings on the end-do roombas choke on those? I'm thought about getting one but have always worried it would eat one and catch on fire and die or something. There's also about a 1-1.5" transition up to my kitchen and bathroom tile from the hardwood floor, would they be able to manage that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have a bunch of oriental rugs in my house with the little tassel strings on the end-do roombas choke on those? I'm thought about getting one but have always worried it would eat one and catch on fire and die or something. There's also about a 1-1.5" transition up to my kitchen and bathroom tile from the hardwood floor, would they be able to manage that?

If they are more than an inch long or so, yeah. And on the transition....it depends. I have a Neato D7 because it seemed (at the time) to deal with that best. It mostly gets it, but sometimes it gets stuck anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Quoting from the 3d printer thread

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I just discovered proof that everybody in this thread is a loving amateur and we really need to step up our game.

This was apparently printed on an Elegoo Mars 2 according to the person that posted the video.

https://i.imgur.com/o5TlUJH.mp4

EDIT: There's a god drat circular saw at the bottom of the frame, too.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

canyoneer posted:

This is incredible!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Holy poo poo, that is amazing. I didn't know 3d printers could be used as shrink rays too!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
drat! That's like the friendly giant's workshop.

E: or i guess it wouldn't be. More like the workshop where he hangs out with rusty the rooster and the girraffe.

" A drill for drilling, a planer for planing, and a lathe for maiming".

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 25, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Immediately dumping the instruction manual in the trash is a nice touch

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot has a good deal on two M18 5.0mAh batteries plus your choice of free tool for $199

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...1852P/304743962

It’s also “hackable” so if you don’t need the batteries or the tool you can return either one and keep the other for a discounted price.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh god someone is getting rid of a shopsmith for $250. I might have to stab someone to get this thing. Looks like just some surface rust.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ok, but what does it do?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Literally A Ghost posted:

Oh god someone is getting rid of a shopsmith for $250. I might have to stab someone to get this thing. Looks like just some surface rust.

There's one or two perpetually for sale near me, are they any good?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok, but what does it do?

Everything! And a few of those things competently!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok, but what does it do?

It's a pretty typical combination table saw/lathe/drill press/disc sander/bandsaw/jointer with no guards

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bondematt posted:

Everything! And a few of those things competently!

...which ones does it do competently? I've only ever heard of them as all-failing death traps.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

There's one or two perpetually for sale near me, are they any good?

They aren't the most amazing thing in the world but when you have a ~500 ft2 shop the chance to replace some tools with real estate is incredibly tempting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok, but what does it do?

Thirsts for blood

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok, but what does it do?

Theoretically 8 or 10 functions, but primarily sits in a corner once the new has worn off.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Thirsts for blood

Can track saws be calibrated if you use a saw blade with a wider/thinner kerf than what comes stock on the saw?

edit: I don't know why I hit quote instead of reply. Happy halloween!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Theoretically 8 or 10 functions, but primarily sits in a corner once the new has worn off.

:lol:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Mambold posted:

once the new has worn off.
I haven't heard anybody say that since my dad died. Thanks for the memory!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:thumbsup::corsair:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My mom died a couple years ago and I'm still waiting for someone, somewhere to exclaim "holy jumpin' horse poo poo'!

Like legitimately, not just because i mentioned it now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wesleywillis posted:

My mom died a couple years ago and I'm still waiting for someone, somewhere to exclaim "holy jumpin' horse poo poo'!

Like legitimately, not just because i mentioned it now.

I haven't heard that in a long time. Can't remember who from my past used to say it but its definitely a memory.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Home Depot has a good deal on two M18 5.0mAh batteries plus your choice of free tool for $199

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...1852P/304743962

It’s also “hackable” so if you don’t need the batteries or the tool you can return either one and keep the other for a discounted price.

Well I guess I "needed" a OMT and batteries are always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpgXOCk3iI

Drill press tricks. If there's a better thread for this lmk, it seemed to fit here.