Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this is definitely it, thank you. what a weird game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Custard Undies posted:

Nah, def wasn't after burner, as I had played it before seeing this news item.
Well, that at least places it after After Burner's 1988 Australia release

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaodai posted:

I'm at my parent's house today so I remembered to go find my old CD-ROM games and take a look. The game I was thinking of was Operation Combat 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVUMVjpxMw

I didn't play the first one, which came out in 1991 if you're looking for similar but older.

wow this is actually it im like 99% sure

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Custard Undies posted:

Nah, def wasn't after burner, as I had played it before seeing this news item. Also wasn't Galaxy Force.

Wasnt a Nintendo thing either.

It would have been aimed at Adults as opposed to kids. It might have ben running on a Main Frame computer as the graphics at the time were pretty advanced 3D models.

Couldn’t have been a Virtuality machine?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

A video game based around setting up ventilation in apartments/houses? Black wireframe for walls and such on a white background, maybe colors for the different bits and pieces you could place. Probably top down, maybe isometric.

I played it in 2005ish? Probably a Flash game. Just got reminded of it today because it'd be totally up a buddy's alley, but searching has not been fruitful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Looking for a PC game, you play as a normal guy who suddenly inherits a magic grimoire or apprentices to a wizard or something like that. There was a world map (modern Earth), and you would travel from place to place, either for clues to the main plot (big bad wizard wants to conquer Earth) or to gather ingredients to research spells or craft charges for them. Sometimes you'd go into isometric view to blast fantasy evil creatures. The mix of real world and magic was pretty cool.

I think it had King Quest V-ish graphics and colour palette, so early 90's? Maybe?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Looking for a PC game, you play as a normal guy who suddenly inherits a magic grimoire or apprentices to a wizard or something like that. There was a world map (modern Earth), and you would travel from place to place, either for clues to the main plot (big bad wizard wants to conquer Earth) or to gather ingredients to research spells or craft charges for them. Sometimes you'd go into isometric view to blast fantasy evil creatures. The mix of real world and magic was pretty cool.

I think it had King Quest V-ish graphics and colour palette, so early 90's? Maybe?

I haven't played it but the premise of gathering ingredients and crafting spells makes me thing of Spellcraft(?), you might wanna take a look.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

This sounds like Nox apart from the graphics.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pierzak posted:

I haven't played it but the premise of gathering ingredients and crafting spells makes me thing of Spellcraft(?), you might wanna take a look.

People in this thread are wizards. That's exactly it. Thanks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

People in this thread are wizards. That's exactly it. Thanks.
You're welcome. :smugwizard:

Hakkesshu posted:

This sounds like Nox apart from the graphics.
And the real world. And "sometimes".
But thanks for reminding me about Nox, it was neat back in the old days, maybe I should see if it's still playable.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 19, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nox is on GOG so it should be able to run fine on modern systems.

Fond memories of multiple attempts at the multiplayer with a buddy of mine that always got interrupted by chakram fights.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nox was a game I knew of entirely because they put ads for it in Red Alert, and I never got to actually play it. Playing it can never make up for 25 years of wondering so I cant bring myself to try it :ohdear:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Well I just learned that I've had Nox confused with Aquanox for 20 years.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's ok i always had it confused with anachronox

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

that's ok i always had it confused with anachronox

Well they were both made by studios that shut down before their time was up

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Danaru posted:

Nox was a game I knew of entirely because they put ads for it in Red Alert, and I never got to actually play it. Playing it can never make up for 25 years of wondering so I cant bring myself to try it :ohdear:

Do it, it still plays great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay, gently caress, I need this thread's help.

I just read an article about Jonestown and it triggered a memory about a video game with a character, with an evil german accent, that says something like "Actually they were primarily using Flavor Aid at that time." and I cannot remember what game that was.
Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about? I need to figure it out or it's gonna drive me mad trying to remember it.

EDIT: For some reason I want to say that it was one of the Zero Escape games but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe something similar though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 25, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jack Trades posted:

I just read an article about Jonestown and it triggered a memory about a video game with a character, with an evil german accent, that says something like "Actually they were primarily using Flavor Aid at that time." and I cannot remember what game that was.
Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about? I need to figure it out or it's gonna drive me mad trying to remember it.

EDIT: For some reason I want to say that it was one of the Zero Escape games but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe something similar though.

Outlast 2?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nah, I never played that.
I don't think it was a game that took itself seriously. It was something more over the top and tongue-in-cheek.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe a Far Cry?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe a Far Cry?

This is what I was going to post

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It might be a long shot but apparently almost that exact exchange is in Hellsing Abridged, which is video game-adjacent and would explain the German accent.

Found the scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99xMxWNBEg&t=796s

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

It might be a long shot but apparently almost that exact exchange is in Hellsing Abridged, which is video game-adjacent and would explain the German accent.

Found the scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99xMxWNBEg&t=796s

Lmao. Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.
I have no idea why I thought it was from a video game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

movies and tv shows are basically just worse video games, so it makes sense.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It wasn't so much a game as an edutainment package aimed at showing children what the world of work offers, with a bunch of mini games about working in different industry sectors. It was on PC and I was using Win95 at the time, so probably mid 90s.

There was a minigame where you sort different kinds of recycling waste as they move along a conveyor.

The one that really sticks in my mind, though, is the military storyline which culminates in a sequence where your base gets invaded and your immediate superior, who has clearance to fire the big missile, is wounded and orders you to press the big red button.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm not looking for a certain game, but a specific collection of games. 10-12 games, all came on individual CD-ROMS with paper sleeves (so no jewel cases). I originally only remembered Dune (Cryo) and Commander Blood being part of them, but looking at Moby Games revealed that those were both published by Mindscape.

Looking at Mindscape's catalog I now remember it also had these games:
Metal Marines
MegaRace 2
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins
D/Generation
Legions

But what was the name of this Mindscape collection, that was available in the Netherlands/Europe? What are the games I have forgotten about? The collections I have found about while looking online all seem to contain different titles. I feel like I am better off relying on someone else's memory than the internet at this point.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 27, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i got one that's extremely a long shot but hell i might as well try.

around 2002 or so there was a website with a bunch of free games my friends and i spent a lot of time on. i may be misremembering but i'm pretty sure all the games were java, not flash. there was one i played a bunch. it was a vertical scrolling shmup where you controlled the ship just by moving the mouse. black background (space). there were no sprites, all the ships and effects were drawn with simple shapes. I think your ship was tan. at some point there were beam weapons that i remember looking cool. I don't remember if there was music.

that's all I can remember. now someone find it and make it playable somehow, NOW.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

b_d posted:

i got one that's extremely a long shot but hell i might as well try.

around 2002 or so there was a website with a bunch of free games my friends and i spent a lot of time on. i may be misremembering but i'm pretty sure all the games were java, not flash. there was one i played a bunch. it was a vertical scrolling shmup where you controlled the ship just by moving the mouse. black background (space). there were no sprites, all the ships and effects were drawn with simple shapes. I think your ship was tan. at some point there were beam weapons that i remember looking cool. I don't remember if there was music.

that's all I can remember. now someone find it and make it playable somehow, NOW.

Areaflat2

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
folks / twitter addicts in the thread might enjoy this DOS retro gaming account

it puts little bits of nostalgia and things you didn't know you had forgotten in your feed — strictly titles, years, publishers, and screencaps

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Areaflat2

nice this is it thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl34JYx_Gxo

doesn't look as cool as i remember it being but we were basically gaming with sticks and stones back then.

area flat 1 looks almost identical, how did you know it was 2? I think you're right but i'm curious

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

2 is the one I played, that's all

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of cool shmups, does anyone remember a browser shmup where the upgrades would include things like better graphics or audio, or even achievements and the like?

VV: yep, don't even need to look it up, the name alone does it. Nice

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of cool shmups, does anyone remember a browser shmup where the upgrades would include things like better graphics or audio, or even achievements and the like?

Upgrade Complete

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, the entire point of that game was that the base gameplay was a trashy veneer over a grindy upgrade system. Presumably it was a parody or commentary on some aspects of gaming at the time.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Speaking of shmups, I played what I think was probably a doujin shmup back in the early-mid 2000s. UK games magazine PC Zone had a special on Japanese shoot 'em ups and this game was featured, alongside Cho Ren Sha 68k.
The first mission had you flying over a river, like Raptor or River Raid, and I remember distinctly the name of the first boss was Sharpur's Revolubar. Long shot, but does anyone either remember this game or maybe which issue of PC Zone it was?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Slightly different request, because I think I know the name of the game, Goosey, but I can't find any mention of it on the internet. It was a simple vertical space shmup, with a goose pilot (though iirc you couldn't tell in gameplay). This was the early 90s, on a DOS pc (I think?). First or second video game I ever played.

I'd just like the peace of mind of seeing some evidence of it actually existing.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 31, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Slightly different request, because I think I know the name of the game, Goosey, but I can't find any mention of it on the internet. It was a simple vertical space shmup, with a goose pilot (though iirc you couldn't tell in gameplay). This was the early 90s, on a DOS pc (I think?). First or second video game I ever played.

I'd just like the peace of mind of seeing some evidence of it actually existing.

Is this it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Goose

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yup, that was quick. Thanks. Though I pretty distinctly remember the text "Goosey" in large font. Maybe that's just the goose's name.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haha the brain is a strange thing. i didn't remember half of the details including the music, but now everything is immediately rushing back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGvCTGQw1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

dads_work_files posted:

Speaking of shmups, I played what I think was probably a doujin shmup back in the early-mid 2000s. UK games magazine PC Zone had a special on Japanese shoot 'em ups and this game was featured, alongside Cho Ren Sha 68k.
The first mission had you flying over a river, like Raptor or River Raid, and I remember distinctly the name of the first boss was Sharpur's Revolubar. Long shot, but does anyone either remember this game or maybe which issue of PC Zone it was?
A modest degree of Internet sleuthing revealed that this feature was found in PC Zone's Christmas 2001 issue, for what it's worth!