Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Trip report: nothing like an interview to make you painfully aware of how basic your recent employer's offerings are.

Waiting for an offer for this company & I was hoping they could match my 3 weeks + 1 unpaid vacation. It looks like they offer 4 weeks paid.

Then I was thinking about how I'd miss the company wide shutdown between Christmas & New years each year... only to speak to my boss yesterday and hear they may be doing away with that.

Fingers crossed things work out because I'm gonna cya later real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

:therapy:

No, really. I'm not taking the piss here. Sounds like you need some help gaining perspective, and you should focus on that before you focus on making friends.

What do I need to gain perspective on?

I had fun with my friends in college, and I tried not to take it too personally when I lost contact with them afterwards. But now apparently it's an indictment on my ability to be employed as well? I'm fine with my relationships fine but now it seems like I will never get a decent job. How is suffering financially/missing out on income something that can be solved by "fixing your perspective", especially in America?

Also, how am I supposed to afford therapy when I barely have insurance?

CarForumPoster posted:

You’re finishing college with ADHD, that’s something worth celebrating. College for me was not set up for success with ADHD at all, so to actually see it through is a big deal personal success wise.

Thanks. It is good to finish college, but it's really disappointing seeing how I migh not be able to be gainfully employed.

CarForumPoster posted:

You’re finishing college with ADHD, that’s something worth celebrating. College for me was not set up for success with ADHD at all, so to actually see it through is a big deal personal success wise.

I'm not upset about having friends or not. It just seems like I missed the boat on one of the crucial things of getting a job these days. Apparently networking is just a matter of choosing to show up and spend time for everyone else, but I'm too much of a failure to do that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nirvikalpa posted:

1) What do I need to gain perspective on?

2) I had fun with my friends in college, and I tried not to take it too personally when I lost contact with them afterwards. But now apparently it's an indictment on my ability to be employed as well? I'm fine with my relationships fine but now it seems like I will never get a decent job.
3) How is suffering financially/missing out on income something that can be solved by "fixing your perspective", especially in America?

4) Also, how am I supposed to afford therapy when I barely have insurance?

Thanks. It is good to finish college, but it's really disappointing seeing how I migh not be able to be gainfully employed.

I'm not upset about having friends or not. It just seems like I missed the boat on one of the crucial things of getting a job these days. Apparently networking is just a matter of choosing to show up and spend time for everyone else, but I'm too much of a failure to do that.

Words like "failure", "indictment" and an implication that you'll NEVER succeed indicate moral judgements. Job hunting isn't a moral judgement thing. Its a sales process. That you go there with it indicates a lack of perspective.

Companies hire people to make money or save money. The hiring process is the company trying to get the best person they can for the budget they have using the data they are able to gather from applicants. This thread helps applicants describe facts in a way that the applicant is viewed as higher value or lower risk, thus improving the response rate. It can also serve as some market research about how competitive your data is compared to others. If your data is not competitive enough for X% of employers, it means some strategizing should be done about how to best find the employers it is competitive for. Don't focus on what tools you DON'T have and instead focus on what you DO have...or can get. Applying more, learning new skills, and using your network are suggestions to find the Y%. Spending energy focused on how you've "failed" impedes your ability to work the steps and succeed in interviews. It is easier to get hired if you are confident, it's hard to feign confidence for multiple hours of interviewing, so it's important to manage feelings of shame.

The narrative you spin with all these moral judgements about yourself isn't part of the process for the companies you're applying to, so ditch it. (Its also just sad brains bullshit youre telling yourself.) Therapy, hobbies that will let you manage those feelings easier, particularly exercise, talking with friends are good ways to manage this. If you're numbing this feeling through drinking or otherwise, stop it.

Not saying your feelings aren't real or valid, just that you don't need to feel the sense of shame. It's a process. A sucky, amoral process.

EDIT: FWIW there is only one person on this forum ever that posted for resume/interview help and I thought "this person seems like a truly awful employee." They were also a new grad with a low GPA and they found a job they like. AFAIK they're still working there, so I guess I was wrong.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 19, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nirvikalpa posted:

What do I need to gain perspective on?

I had fun with my friends in college, and I tried not to take it too personally when I lost contact with them afterwards. But now apparently it's an indictment on my ability to be employed as well? I'm fine with my relationships fine but now it seems like I will never get a decent job. How is suffering financially/missing out on income something that can be solved by "fixing your perspective", especially in America?

I seem to recall you posted:

quote:

Just seems like college has been a wash for me. I just made bad mistakes at every corner. Now I feel like I will get nowhere. I'm a failure of a human being.

When someone says something like that, it's typically indicative that either [1] they blame themself for no reason, or [2] they have a mental health issue that's causing them to blame themself.

To be completely straightforward, the fact that the economy is fucky-wuckied in our day and age does not make you a failure or a bad person.

One of the next steps in your life should be taking whatever steps are necessary so that you can accept that belief.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Upgrade posted:

As terms of questions for you to ask, do not ask anything HR related. None of these people will have any involvement in things like leave or health insurance - at any decent sized university all of that is handled by entirely separate departments and is not typically something that can be negotiated because it's set. Instead, ask them what they're looking to see for a person in this role. Ask about their work. Ask about opportunities for professional development, travel and publishing (as appropriate).

For salary discussion, that will either be handled (most likely) by the department's budget/HR person, or rarely by the search committee themselves. Talking about money in these rooms would be a major red flag IME.

If you can provide some more information on the job I can probably provide more specific feedback.

Thanks for the info! It helped me to think it properly prepare for this. After 4h of back-to-back interviews, I would say that I am quite happy how it went. Now they are interviewing couple of more candidates still, and will tell me results after a couple of weeks.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

Words like "failure", "indictment" and an implication that you'll NEVER succeed indicate moral judgements. Job hunting isn't a moral judgement thing. Its a sales process. That you go there with it indicates a lack of perspective.

Don't focus on what tools you DON'T have and instead focus on what you DO have...or can get. Applying more, learning new skills, and using your network are suggestions to find the Y%. Spending energy focused on how you've "failed" impedes your ability to work the steps and succeed in interviews. It is easier to get hired if you are confident, it's hard to feign confidence for multiple hours of interviewing, so it's important to manage feelings of shame.

If I can't work, what is the point of life?

I guess I could apply more and learn new skills. However, I have zero network. I think that reflects my failure as a human being because apparently everyone is supposed to be able to do this.

quote:

The narrative you spin with all these moral judgements about yourself isn't part of the process for the companies you're applying to, so ditch it. (Its also just sad brains bullshit youre telling yourself.) Therapy, hobbies that will let you manage those feelings easier, particularly exercise, talking with friends are good ways to manage this. If you're numbing this feeling through drinking or otherwise, stop it.

Apparently I suck at making friends so why should I bother?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Have you considered therapy?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Unironically :therapy:

It really helps!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Not to brag, but I might have an offer on the table.

Do you guys have any golden advice or templates for writing a good resignation letter to exit gracefully?

I'm trying to avoid getting myself locked into consulting for the company until the end of time because deliverables are so unclear on projects.

There's no thread for this, AFAIK, and figured there'd be good experience in the thread.

find a napkin and hand-write "I resign as HC of the NYJ"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nirvikalpa posted:

I guess I could apply more and learn new skills. However, I have zero network. I think that reflects my failure as a human being because apparently everyone is supposed to be able to do this.

for real dogg :therapy:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Everything you do that isn’t your work.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

Unironically :therapy:

It really helps!

I cannot afford therapy.

Anyways, this just seems really gaslighting. Like you are saying that my problems are just in my head. It's not very helpful. Even something like, "You need to lower your expectations because you have serious professional deficiencies" would be better advice.

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 19, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nirvikalpa posted:

I cannot afford therapy.

Anyways, this just seems really gaslighting. Like you are saying that my problems are just in my head. It's not very helpful. Even something like, "You need to lower your expectations because you have serious professional deficiencies" would be better advice.

You need to get mental health support (of which free- or low-cost options likely exist in your area, albeit probably with a wait list) because the framing you are using to describe your problems is indicative of mental health problems.

This is not said to shame you. This is not said to make you feel bad about yourself. This is not said to diminish the problems you are having with employment or life or whatever. This is said to point out something you may not see, and likely can't see because brains are lovely sometimes.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

Nirvikalpa posted:

What worked to help me build a resume when I got laid off during the Great Recession was voluteering, it helped me keep busy with potential networking opportunities. I figure animal shelters right now are hurting and need help with the explosion of animals being given up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nirvikalpa posted:

I cannot afford therapy.

It’s not every day that people are prescribing therapy in this thread but you’re also asking poo poo like “what’s the purpose of life” so what do you expect?

Anyway, you’re a fresh college graduate; by definition you do have serious professional deficiencies. Apply everywhere. Expect 100 applications to translate into 20 callbacks, 5 interviews and maybe 1 offer. It’s a numbers game.

Once you’re three years out of college and have some non-negligible amount of work experience, your college drinking buddies will become useful and can refer you to jobs. Until then you, like 90% of fresh college graduates, have no meaningful network. Nothing unusual about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Ok, for the record I agree 100% with what everyone else is saying and I do think you will need to make some fundamental shifts in how you are looking at yourself, your professional life, and your place in the world in order to succeed at any of those areas, and doing it alone is really tough.

BUT, in an effort to try to get you out of this spiral, here is some basic, practical advice:

1. Learning skills isn't the mountain I think you are making it to be, and can be very good use of time (even just a couple hours a day, make a schedule of it). What skills do you think would be useful?

2. To network, start with meetups. There are virtual and in-person ones. Obv Covid still exists, but in-person will generally bear more fruit, though in any case it may take a while to start building good connections. What are some of the industries/areas you think it would be useful to be involved in?

3. You might be shooting too high to start. Sometimes getting post-college experience is an important first step. Different industry, but I've hired developers out of bartending/dispatch/logistics/healthcare jobs. The fact that they've shown they can manage a 9-5 is actually a plus. If I recall you're kinda targeting a niche job, maybe start thinking about that niche job as the 2nd or 3rd one down the line and think more along the lines of stepping stones.

4. Networking isn't everything. GPA isn't everything. Experience isn't everything. Brain's isn't everything. Luck isn't everything. It's a combination of all these things. If you can do a little in each area you'll improve your prospects. It's incremental but it absolutely can be done. People in a lot worse places than you have pulled together fantastic careers. Think in steps and think about "What can I do to get closer to the next step".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OP has an econ degree, brush up on excel and learn some Tableau or PowerBI or something and you are a Business Analyst. I have suggested this in the past and the OP has obviously not done anything about it.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Nirvikalpa posted:

I cannot afford therapy.

I didn't bother much with networking in college, and I don't think it's been an issue. Is it really a requirement to get hired with an economics degree?

What type of jobs have you been applying for, and how many jobs have you applied for in the last month?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Nirvikalpa posted:

Most people suck at career networking.

Not having friends is another issue entirely. I don't know if I have any advice outside of what's already been said, except you shouldn't pick your friends based on their careers anyway. Find folks who share interests and hobbies and viewpoints on life.

Apply for anything that sounds somewhat interesting or at least tolerable. Once you're on somewhere, you can make work friends and start building your network, if that's important to you. But keep in mind that most of your work network is going to be people on the same level as you anyway.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Life is about pettin kitties not workin

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a dingus posted:

Waiting for an offer for this company & I was hoping they could match my 3 weeks + 1 unpaid vacation. It looks like they offer 4 weeks paid.

Then I was thinking about how I'd miss the company wide shutdown between Christmas & New years each year... only to speak to my boss yesterday and hear they may be doing away with that.

Fingers crossed things work out because I'm gonna cya later real fast.
Sounds like either way you're up so. :yotj:

What I meant about myself was the interview questions illustrated that the kind of work my former employer was happy to sell to clients is not of particularly high standard and I have been left with glaring holes in my professional knowledge that I didn't even know existed until they were poked at.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manwich posted:

What worked to help me build a resume when I got laid off during the Great Recession was voluteering, it helped me keep busy with potential networking opportunities. I figure animal shelters right now are hurting and need help with the explosion of animals being given up.

Here's a funny thing about me working with animals. I actually volunteered at a bird shelter for a few months earlier this year and loved it. I was slow but was really serious at my work, imo, and probably contributed at least $200 in labor there at the very least.

I thought things were going great but all of a sudden I get a call from the shelter's director (who I had never met) telling me I would not be able to volunteer during the summer because my supervisor would be busy. Makes sense right, because there are a lot of tourists. But it turns out they wanted to stick with the older volunteers. Later, when I tried messaging my supervisor about needing volunteer hours for a work contract (where money was on the line), she never responded, even though previously she said she would be happy to even fill out fake hours for me. So I had a feeling they had some sort of issue with my volunteering and didn't bother to tell me.

Turns out people don't even want me to work for free.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Letmebefrank posted:

Thanks for the info! It helped me to think it properly prepare for this. After 4h of back-to-back interviews, I would say that I am quite happy how it went. Now they are interviewing couple of more candidates still, and will tell me results after a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear! Happy to answer more questions about university hiring, too.

(If anyone is ever looking for a good job, university administration!!!!!)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Took the threads advice.

I have an interview at 430 today for an HRIS Project Manager role. I'm a little nervous because while I am qualified for it, its a little outside my comfort zone.

(also have an interview for Payroll Manager role tomorrow, based in HR and not finance, so i am hopeful.)

Update: I did not get past the first interview for the HRIS role.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Upgrade posted:

Glad to hear! Happy to answer more questions about university hiring, too.

(If anyone is ever looking for a good job, university administration!!!!!)

No quesrions yet, we will see if this goes forward. After some retrospection, it was clear that me being not US citizen could cause some timing issues (visas etc). They had some time pressure from the funding agency. Not sure how much that will have an effect in the end, as the position was very clearly intended for international candidates.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My final interviews are scheduled for next week. Three in total, one behavioral interview followed by two job fit interviews, all VIA Zoom. Snooping around on LinkedIn leads me to believe someone who is a senior HR person is doing the behavioral, while the job fit interviews seems to be with a director level and then a team lead. 30 minutes each with a break in-between the behavioral and the two job fit interviews.

Funny enough, I noticed the team lead (as well as her husband I think?) checking out my LinkedIn profile the other day. Not a whole lot to parse there, but it does help a little bit having somewhat of an idea who I'm going to be talking to.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So, after trying and trying, I finally gave up looking for a job in only the US.

My friend insisted on applying to the place he worked, and while the process was surprisingly lengthy, and the visa process was also (thanks, pandemic), I finally have a job. :toot: I have some extremely strong feelings about not being able to live in the US again, but this job looks excellent. Modern C++, machines, all kinds of stuff I'm interested in. They also have computer vision stuff going on, which is where my friend is now, that I might be able to transfer over to later. I'm hoping to finally get that solid 3+ years experience so things will go much smoother in the future.

I really have to thank the posters in this thread. You really helped me break out of my rigid idea of what was "allowed" on a resume or how it "had to" be and helped me make it so much better. Really, thank you so much!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shadow0 posted:

So, after trying and trying, I finally gave up looking for a job in only the US.

My friend insisted on applying to the place he worked, and while the process was surprisingly lengthy, and the visa process was also (thanks, pandemic), I finally have a job. :toot: I have some extremely strong feelings about not being able to live in the US again, but this job looks excellent. Modern C++, machines, all kinds of stuff I'm interested in. They also have computer vision stuff going on, which is where my friend is now, that I might be able to transfer over to later. I'm hoping to finally get that solid 3+ years experience so things will go much smoother in the future.

I really have to thank the posters in this thread. You really helped me break out of my rigid idea of what was "allowed" on a resume or how it "had to" be and helped me make it so much better. Really, thank you so much!

Way to go! Very happy for you!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

You coming to join us in Canada my man?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Way to go! Very happy for you!

Thanks!

VelociBacon posted:

You coming to join us in Canada my man?

I wish! Canada sounds nice! Would love to try bag milk.
I'm headed back to the same German town for a third time. It's far from ideal, but like I said - the job looks really great. Mostly too nervous right now to feel excited about the job, but I'm hoping I do well!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Thanks!

I wish! Canada sounds nice! Would love to try bag milk.
I'm headed back to the same German town for a third time. It's far from ideal, but like I said - the job looks really great. Mostly too nervous right now to feel excited about the job, but I'm hoping I do well!

Ahh I'm sure you'll do fine. I've never bought bagged milk in my life, that's an Atlantic thing.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I have accepted an official offer w/ a tentative start date. I haven't completed the background check yet but there is nothing to find there. When do I submit my 2 weeks notice? Do I wait for the background check to resolve?

Edit* the internal recruiter said the start date can be changed so I am not bound by that date at all

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

a dingus posted:

So I have accepted an official offer w/ a tentative start date. I haven't completed the background check yet but there is nothing to find there. When do I submit my 2 weeks notice? Do I wait for the background check to resolve?

Edit* the internal recruiter said the start date can be changed so I am not bound by that date at all

It’s best to keep their start date if it’s no big deal to you. If you have vacation or something that might be a factor to discuss with them. As the name implies you give two weeks notice two weeks before your last day with the company.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you normally give two weeks notice before the background check clears? And yes I the term '2 weeks notice' is pretty self explanatory.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

a dingus posted:

Do you normally give two weeks notice before the background check clears? And yes I the term '2 weeks notice' is pretty self explanatory.

Historically I'd say yes unless it was a position in which a security check is more likely to actually be a problem (government, sensitive data. etc). I have seen 1 time where a person gave a 2 weeks and then did a "just kidding". In that case the company was fine letting them stay on but it was basically "so we know you're leaving, let's focus on offboarding and replacing".

Nothing wrong with telling new company "push it out a couple weeks" if that's more comfortable to you though.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
a dingus, I was two hours from giving notice at my current job when I had an offer rescinded due to a bankruptcy on my credit report.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Makes sense. I have enough time that I can wait until Friday, give me 2 weeks and still have a week in between to chill so I may just do that. That's scary to have an offer rescinded due to a credit report, but this position is not finance related although it is in fintech. The only thing that ever gives me some concern is an identity theft that happened a few years ago but that could be me being paranoid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wait until you have the formal final offer in hand. They expect 2 weeks from that date at least and it shouldn't be a problem. The company I work for uses a 3rd party Hire Right to do the background check, and it can take a couple weeks for everything to come though. Mine took almost a month I think.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Wait until you have the formal final offer in hand. They expect 2 weeks from that date at least and it shouldn't be a problem. The company I work for uses a 3rd party Hire Right to do the background check, and it can take a couple weeks for everything to come though. Mine took almost a month I think.

Yeah I just went through a Hire Right background check. I didn't give nearly enough info upfront (like W2s, paystubs, contact info for old jobs) so I kept having to submit new info every couple days. All in all it took a couple weeks but eventually went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like either way you're up so. :yotj:

What I meant about myself was the interview questions illustrated that the kind of work my former employer was happy to sell to clients is not of particularly high standard and I have been left with glaring holes in my professional knowledge that I didn't even know existed until they were poked at.
Seems like they weren't as glaring as I thought, since I've moved onto the next step. Moving country has put me back at the "take this technical assessment" level though :gbsmith: