Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with McMagic that they should fire their GM at this point.

Saleh should get another year, but if you fire the GM, you might as well fire the coach he brought in, since odds are you'll fire him the next year otherwise.

It was a mistake to hire a young defensive coach who is completely uninvolved in the offense when you are going to have a rookie QB. So very dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with McMagic that they should fire their GM at this point.

Saleh should get another year, but if you fire the GM, you might as well fire the coach he brought in, since odds are you'll fire him the next year otherwise.

You might head off the gm throwing futures firsts away, trying to save his job by acquiring andrew whitworth or something.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

The Jets were almost completely lifeless yesterday. Corey Davis was going hard, and that's about it. Their defensive effort was just loving embarrassing.

My poor Corey 😢

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean, they've been absolutely brutalized by injuries this year as well. It's not JUST that the roster is bad; all their good players are injured as well. They've have by far the most cap space allocated to IR over the course of the year of any team.

https://twitter.com/TheJetPress/status/1452640865017602050

Nov 6, 2002

There aren't many coaches who were fired too early but sure as poo poo most are fired too late!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't have a reaction to it. But that is a kind of reaction. Mind thoughts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean, they've been absolutely brutalized by injuries this year as well. It's not JUST that the roster is bad; all their good players are injured as well. They've have by far the most cap space allocated to IR over the course of the year of any team.

https://twitter.com/TheJetPress/status/1452640865017602050

Hard to blame injuries when they have been dogshit even when most of these guys played.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It was a mistake to hire a young defensive coach who is completely uninvolved in the offense when you are going to have a rookie QB. So very dumb.

They need to hire a QB whispererer. Is Gase currently free?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Saleh and Douglas are tied at the hip with Wilson. Wilson will get at least 2 years to not be trash; ergo so will Saleh and Douglas.

The Jets haven't hired a retread head coach since Parcells, I want to say? 25 years.

mcmagic posted:

Hard to blame injuries when they have been dogshit even when most of these guys played.
Im not blaming injuries because I dont think their record is too much better if everyone is healthy. But teams look way more trash playing trash players.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

There aren't many coaches who were fired too early but sure as poo poo most are fired too late!

I remember someone saying saying that "it's important to be early at that position". I dunno if I trust that, it was said by someone who went 5-9 last season and 1-4 this season against teams not called The Jets. What could that guy possibly know?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There wasn't a slam dunk hire available to them this last offseason but I think it's unarguable that if they would've hired someone like a Marvin Lewis (which I would've hated at the time) that they wouldn't be this completely hopeless as a team. They completely ignored experience on the staff and it's killing them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There are many examples that prove this sentiment to be wrong. Better to clean house now and not waste another year of your rookie QB and possibly get him ever more injured with incompetence.

I generally agree with this but I think firing Saleh after one year, being stuck with a rookie QB you didn’t draft and have to make work, on top of the general curse of being the Jets would make it a very unattractive job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

There wasn't a slam dunk hire available to them this last offseason but I think it's unarguable that if they would've hired someone like a Marvin Lewis (which I would've hated at the time) that they wouldn't be this completely hopeless as a team. They completely ignored experience on the staff and it's killing them.

Is Jim Caldwell still around. He’d be a good choice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is Jim Caldwell still around. He’d be a good choice.

They should've at minimum had someone like that as OC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets haven't hired a retread head coach since Parcells, I want to say? 25 years.
huwhat? What does that make Adam Gase?

Nov 6, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

a brilliant offensive mind

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not a particularly new observation but in retrospect we really did Caldwell dirty in the court of public opinion.

I'm using that term wrong but don't know how to phrase it better than just saying everyone hated him when he was probably better than he should have been most of the time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I mean, wasn’t part of the original idea with them hiring Greg Knapp as QB coach to help develop Wilson until he died. Doesn’t excuse the others on the offensive staff/organization, but that doesn’t help…

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fartknocker posted:

I mean, wasn’t part of the original idea with them hiring Greg Knapp as QB coach to help develop Wilson until he died. Doesn’t excuse the others on the offensive staff/organization, but that doesn’t help…

Knapp wasn't enough experience even if he didn't die.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

My poor Corey 😢

come back to nashville corey

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

Not a particularly new observation but in retrospect we really did Caldwell dirty in the court of public opinion.

I'm using that term wrong but don't know how to phrase it better than just saying everyone hated him when he was probably better than he should have been most of the time.
I agree, he was handed a barren roster in Indy that was propped up by Peypey then got axed, then went to the Lions a few years later and lead them to the most successful and stable stretch of seasons that the team has had in decades only to get fired by a Pats front office guy so said Pats front office guy could hire a Pats coordinator to take a giant poo poo on the team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

It's very hard to know if a coach has been fired too early, since they have no opportunity to prove otherwise

shyduck posted:

In the first half of Eagles/Raiders game, the Eagles forced a 4th and 4 around midfield, and the Raiders brought their punt unit on the field.

However, there was an offensive holding penalty on the Raiders during the previous play.

Nick Sirianni accepted the penalty. It was now 3rd and 14, and the Raiders offense comes back on the field.

Next play, the Raiders go 30 yards.

After the game, Sirianni said the reasoning was he thought the Raiders were going to go for it on 4th because that's what the Eagles would've done according to his own analytics chart.

The Raiders had their punt unit on the field.

Upgrade that man to mild.

I can understand this was a mistake but can also forgive him for thinking that maybe his defense could NOT give up 30 yards on 3rd and 14.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Caldwell's never the solution, but he can be a very good fix to a very serious problem. The Alex Smith of coaches.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles DC is absolutely getting shitcanned and that's what they'll use to give Sirianni cover for another season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Caldwell's never the solution, but he can be a very good fix to a very serious problem. The Alex Smith of coaches.

This is what the Jets needed. A baseline level of competence.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is what the Jets needed. A baseline level of competence.

I honestly think they still end up this bad even with Caldwell. There's just no way to judge Saleh until next season.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

How could you possibly know if a coach was fired too early

What would you even base that on?

I just think this is a totally fruitless way to think about coaching, and in general I think the way we talk about coaches and drafts is super results focused even though we know the results are significantly if not mostly random.

Nov 6, 2002

It's not random when a team shows up completely unprepared for their opponent week after week. It's not random when a coach makes bad strategic decisions in games week after week. It's not random when a team plays sloppy and undisciplined in all three phases every week.

I think you have to be really incompetent to lose every week in the NFL, especially in embarrassing fashion like the Jets are doing. I think even a baseline level of competence will get a poor roster to 4 or 5 wins and will at least make your team look competitive in games.

When a coach shows you who they are, believe them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They have gotten completely dominated by the patriots, broncos and falcons which are all mediocre at best teams.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

It's not random when a team shows up completely unprepared for their opponent week after week. It's not random when a coach makes bad strategic decisions in games week after week. It's not random when a team plays sloppy and undisciplined in all three phases every week.

I think you have to be really incompetent to lose every week in the NFL, especially in embarrassing fashion like the Jets are doing. I think even a baseline level of competence will get a poor roster to 4 or 5 wins and will at least make your team look competitive in games.

Why would this be true when every other team you play is so much more talented than yours? If you have the worst team in the league talent-wise you are expected to win zero games or maybe just a couple at most. Not 4 or 5.

The fact that they beat the Titans is loving incredible, almost unbelievable. Not something I would've expected with this roster.

I haven't been impressed with him so far but literally everything is against him so you have to give some leeway. Worst team in the league in terms of talent, huge amount of injuries to the exact guys that you couldn't afford to lose, untested rookie quarterback, etc.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m responding to the sentiment that in general coaches are fired “too late” and you should churn through them more often. I haven’t watched a jets game I have some self respect

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mcmagic posted:

They have gotten completely dominated by the patriots
Belichick probably has these games circled to be fair

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Play posted:

I can understand this was a mistake but can also forgive him for thinking that maybe his defense could NOT give up 30 yards on 3rd and 14.

Carr is only behind like, Kyler for most explosive downfield plays

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

shyduck posted:

Belichick probably has these games circled to be fair

So? That's an excuse to be completely embarrassed by a team in your division that isn't even any good?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

No I just think Belichick is a psychopath is all

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

shyduck posted:

No I just think Belichick is a psychopath is all

He clearly is and he enjoyed that game yesterday more than he enjoyed winning any super bowl but that doesn't excuse the way the Jets showed up and played that game.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my brain intentionally hid that fact from me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my brain intentionally hid that fact from me.

You can be forgiven for not putting Parcells and Gase in the same category. Also Parcells wasn't really in the retread category the way someone like Lewis and Caldwell and of course Gase are.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Marvin Lewis is good and not a retread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Marvin Lewis is good and not a retread

He's a 500 coach who lost all 7 of the playoff games he coached, 4 of them at home. He's competent but "good" is a stretch.