Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah that's the one i grabbed for content too, it's not looking good! i am afeared for them

edit: oh god this snype is terrible here:

I [21F] am hell bent on moving out and my BF [22M] doesn't want to until he can buy a house

quote:

I [21F] would like to move out as soon as I possibly can. I make more than enough to live on my own but I love my BF [22M] dearly and would like him to move out with me. We've been together for almost 4 years have had lots of struggles with his parents especially his father integrating himself in his life. I would like us to just become I dependent and start living our lives on our own. I want go get out and have my own area and run my own house hold. I didn't move out of my parents house to live on my own only to live with another families rules... I would just like us to do things independently in our own and learn to run things our way but my boyfriend absolutely refuses to listen or even give any input. Hit excuse is that the dogs would be depressed if we leave. I just need advice on how I should handle this. I'm thinking of just moving out on my own and then telling him first and then telling his parents that I will be moving out on my own.

TLDR: Boyfriend doesn't want to rent an apartment and move out with me because the dogs will be depressed. Any advice?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Some people who are perpetually late are just depressed. It's hard to get up, and when you do your mind is not really on task so you end up making bad commuting choices, or spending too long in the shower or missing your stop etc. But I also know some people for whom it's a passive-aggressive power-play; they're also the people who consistently insist on last minute changes to the plan, like changing the venue or timing or whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tarkus posted:

The habitually late person has entered the thread.

Sorry to hear you have disrespect problems grandpa. :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Invisible Clergy posted:

We're not supposed to poop in the museum.

AITA for forcing our families to only give my child gift cards or cash as presents?
The correct solution is "one present per birthday, please make donations to your favorite charity instead. If you send more than one present, we will be donating the extras to [insert local charity]." At that point it isn't a money grab.

I might add a photo of last year's haul, all put together on the same blanket.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Sorry to hear you have disrespect problems grandpa. :v:

Care to share with the thread why you constantly make others wait on you? I don't personally buy the depression theory but I'm open to being persuaded.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's such a weird post, because why would the law work like that anywhere? It's telling you "always try to steal, either you get a free item, or you have to pay the worth of the item, like you'd bought it." OP of course does not specify the country he lives in. I assume from his behavior, he's an idiot and is confused about how law works.
What? I didn't get the read of him saying that, it seemed to have to do with the value of the item and penalties or something.

No, think of it this way:

If you own a business and you sell object X, you may sell it for whatever you like. It doesn't really matter--even if another business down the street sells the item for $10, you can still sell it for $10000, if you want.

But if someone comes into your business and steals object X, it doesn't become felony level theft just because you've valued a $10 object at $10000.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 25, 2021

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

My boyfriend keeps using my toothbrush

quote:

My boyfriend has been using my toothbrush and I’m not sure how to get him to stop. 2 weeks ago he asked me if I had been performing oral sex on other men I was offended and said no he said “OK I didn’t think so I only ask because I’ve been using your toothbrush”. I was so disgusted the same day I went to Dollar General and I bought a whole four pack of toothbrushes. I replace my toothbrush that he had used as well as told him that they were new toothbrushes in there he grabbed a green one. I chose the purple toothbrush I always have a purple toothbrush and I went out my way to get these charcoal toothbrushes because he started using the charcoal toothpaste that I swear by and I figure well maybe he’s in my toothbrush because I got the black bristles and he wants to use the charcoal toothpaste. Fast fwd to today I had suspected he’s been using my toothbrush again my toothbrush is always moved and he doesn’t even keep his toothbrush in the same location as mine ,so there is no reason why my toothbrush removed. Now what really solidified my thoughts was when I found my toothbrush in the shower. My boyfriend for whatever reason brushes his teeth in the shower only which is a whole other conversation. When he called me on his break at work today I said stop using my toothbrush he said “I used your toothbrush?” I said you know that you use my toothbrush it was in the shower I don’t brush my teeth in the shower he says oh yeah my toothbrush is green he knows that my toothbrush is purple he’s been dealing with me for years and I always pick the color purple. I just feel like he still gonna use my toothbrush and like I don’t know what to do…

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Scaevolus posted:

get some of that hot sauce that's basically just pepper spray

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Scaevolus posted:

Gotta blow another dude for revenge now. He basically gave you permission.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

teen witch posted:

Should I speak to his wife and get her story?
He can’t afford “over 1k” to get divorced and is too deeply in debt to apply for a home loan, but you believe he can reliably pay 50% of a home mortgage for the next 30 years of your life?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dazerbeams posted:

Care to share with the thread why you constantly make others wait on you? I don't personally buy the depression theory but I'm open to being persuaded.

I’m not generally a late person. Anyone who whines about being “disrespected” and says people are being aggressive to them over something that’s extremely common and normal is just fair game in my book.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

does anyone in the thread want to co-sign a loan with me? It would be for a boat. The boat will be mine but if you come over you can ride on it with me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

does anyone in the thread want to co-sign a loan with me? It would be for a boat. The boat will be mine but if you come over you can ride on it with me

I just don't feel secure in this arrangement unless there are multiple children in the mix

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

give me your house baby name boat

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

give me your house baby name boat

Give me your itty bitty baby, your itty bitty boat, and your twinkie house.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I’m not generally a late person. Anyone who whines about being “disrespected” and says people are being aggressive to them over something that’s extremely common and normal is just fair game in my book.

If it seems extremely common and normal for people to be hours late to your events, you should probably get some self-respect and then find new friends

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dewgy posted:

Give me your itty bitty baby, your itty bitty boat, and your twinkie house.

HABEEB IT!

God we're old.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for expecting my ex to reach out after I publicly failed an exam?

quote:

I (M30) broke up with my ex (F25) of 2 years a couple days after we took the bar exam over the summer. The breakup wasn’t smooth at all and she was definitely blindsided, but I thought we were still on ok terms despite everything, and I told her I still want her in my life as she knows me better than almost anyone. We haven’t spoken except to exchange a few texts about post-breakup logistics.

Bar results came out a couple weeks ago and she passed, while of course I failed (which makes sense; she was always a better student than me). Our state releases bar results publicly so everyone in our class knows who passed. I texted her a congratulations message the same day the results came out, but I never heard anything from her and honestly it hurts. A lot. I can see her on FB congratulating people on passing and supporters others who failed, and I know it’s unfair for me to feel this way but I was expecting at least an “I’m sorry you didn’t pass” text. Anything besides total silence.

But on the other hand, I’m the one who ended things with her. I’m the one who broke her heart and said I wasn’t in love and didn’t want to be together anymore… But I still can’t process the fact that she didn’t respond at all to such a devastating thing happening to me. I know it’s selfish and immature but I can’t just turn my feelings off.

I typed up my thoughts in a long letter apologizing for hurting her but also saying that I was hurt by not hearing from her after I failed. She told me that she needed time after the breakup before she wanted to speak with me again and I’ve tried to give her space. It’s just embarrassing as hell to fail the bar and it’s magnified by feeling embarrassed about getting radio silence like this from her. I’m a 30 year old man flailing in my feelings.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here for feeling this way? Am I the rear end in a top hat if I send the letter? Am I having some breakup regret? I believe that if the roles were reversed then I would at least check in on my ex in a situation like this, but I know not everyone feels that way. And I know it’s unfair for me to put that expectation on her. I’m just spiraling and could use some perspective.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dewgy posted:

Some people do it because they don't respect other people's time. Some people do it because they like making other people wait. Disrespect in this context means actual disrespect, not the boomer's "respect=lack of deference to me"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

For a palette-cleanser, a quartet from /r/mensa; the first three are title-only. And as always, I'm glad I never tried to join this group:

quote:

Is there a calculator/formula where I can put in my IQ and my partner’s IQ to get an estimated IQ for our future children?

quote:

What peoples with high IQ make better than peoples with normal IQ ?

quote:

I have zero interest in travel. Is that a smart person thing or am I just strange?

quote:

Being a Mensan with a non-Mensan spouse
... I haven't [joined] yet but I am sort of wondering about events for if and when I do. I don't really want to leave my girlfriend behind to attend [MENSA] events. Is there any such thing as +1 events or does everyone attending always have to be a member?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Admiralty Flag posted:

For a palette-cleanser, a quartet from /r/mensa; the first three are title-only. And as always, I'm glad I never tried to join this group:

I've known a couple of mensa people in my lifetime. They were both exhausting obtuse assholes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

Not the OP but I can, since I've been a lot better about it in the last several years, after having several people close to me tell me it was bullshit and that I needed to make an effort. First, I genuinely don't mind when people are late to meet me, and because of that, it was hard, especially when younger, to really believe that other people cared too. And some of that was just feeling happy that people wanted to hang out at all, and if they were late, who cares. So low self-esteem plays into that too. Also, the smug "well they can make it to [x thing that isn't a friend interaction] so clearly its volitional" is kind of bullshit, because I was also chronically late to various things like work, and doctor's appointments, and class too. First, just underestimating how long getting ready takes, or telling myself that I can keep doing something like scrolling or reading because at least that is numbing and not overwhelming, like going out, or going to work. And then that loops back into how I didnt feel hurt when friends are late, because I get why my coworkers can get upset if I'm late; because they can't leave until I come in. That sucks, and ok, I can force myself to come in to work on time, and do things like plan to get there 15m early so that I'm actually on time when things don't go as planned like not being able to find keys or whatever. (Also I found it a lot easier to create some kind of workplace identity that had a structure and rules for interaction that included being on time to replace the offgoing shift, as well as a lot more poo poo). But my friends should understand general executive dysfunction and delay and forgive me. And they should, sometimes, and from the idea that they should turns into the idea that they must always, so you start rationalizing why its ok that you're constantly being late, because your friends won't get upset, because they're your friends, and if they do get upset that's not fair because you wouldn't get upset with them and it becomes a whole thing.

So then some friends sat me down and were really clear that it does suck, and it is annoying, and that that doesn't make them any less of my friends and if I would just do my loving part of that deal and be up front with that, they would totally understand, but I had to loving tell someone instead of just being late chronically. I'm not saying its a good thing, and I do think its rude, and I am definitely way, way better at being on time now, but I also got therapy and medication so there's that too.

tldr: depression and ADD leading to a combination of not respecting myself and my time and not respecting other's time.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Piell posted:

AITA for expecting my ex to reach out after I publicly failed an exam?

Guess you shoulda just passed the dumb lawyer test you fuckin dweeb.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tarkus posted:

I've known a couple of mensa people in my lifetime. They were both exhausting obtuse assholes.

The funniest way to screw with someone who’s obsessed with their IQ is to ask them what it means. I can’t recall a single time I’ve done that and gotten a correct answer.

It’s just how well you did on the test you took compared to the average in your age or age group, expressed as a percentage.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Dewgy posted:

It’s just how well you did on the test you took compared to the average in your age or age group, expressed as a percentage.
it's not a percentage lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

ur a percentage lol got'em

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dewgy posted:

The funniest way to screw with someone who’s obsessed with their IQ is to ask them what it means. I can’t recall a single time I’ve done that and gotten a correct answer.

Yeah, to be fair though many of those mensa people are genuinely smart. The problem is that when they define themselves by their intellect they tend to fail to put in the requisite effort to actually be better rather than just smart. Also, internet IQ tests are designed to be flattering to the user so you get a lot of dullards believing they have 130 IQ's.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I just stop inviting people like that to things. They can show up on time to work, they can show up on time to doctor's appointments where they'd be out money as a no-show. Dinner? 45 min late because they "lost track of time" or "getting ready took longer than they thought" or the most common excuse of not even bothering to make an excuse. They were just gaming or scrolling or something and knew they were late but their immediate enjoyment was far more important than making their friends wait for them.

Ultimately it's just being a self centered sack of poo poo.

My husband and I stopped seeing one of his oldest friends (they'd known each other for about 20 years) because he and his wife just could not be counted on to be on time anywhere. The straw that broke the camel's back was meeting up to watch a sporting event and drink together. They showed up in the last quarter because "Steel Magnolias was on TBS and we wanted to finish it."

The guy was kind of a douche in a lot of minor ways, but they all added up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I could see thinking it's a percentage it you took it and got less than 100, lol.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Scaevolus posted:

You know too much, your one of Them

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

IQ can be converted to a percentile.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
There's a podcast where a lady join Mensa and chronicles her adventures, and those Mensa people all sound like certified whackos

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for ruining my father's family?

quote:

My (23F) parents separated before I was born due to my father's affair. Growing up, I never had much interaction with my father or his new family because my mother had custody of me. My parents did not divorce on good terms, and my father even asked for multiple DNA tests because he thought my mother was conning him for child support. I didn't find out about the circumstances of their separation until I was older, and by then my relationship with my father was already nonexistent.

Still, when I became a teenager I found out that I had siblings and tried to reach out to them. I had thought I was an only child until I was 15. On the rare occasions I was allowed to visit, I was always treated coldly by my stepmother and my father. It was difficult to get closer to my siblings because of how rarely I saw them. I was fine with that as long as it didn't seem like my siblings hated me.

Recently, I met up with my brother (20M) to catch up. While we were talking, he accidentally let slip that my father and step-mother had been telling my siblings that my mother was the one who came between their marriage. They told them that my mother was a jealous ex who kept hounding them when they were happily married. I was out of my mind with anger. I showed my brother all the documents proving my mother had been married to our father and that he had cheated with my step-mother. My brother refused to believe it, shouted at me and left.

I thought that was that and was feeling pretty sorry that I had ruined my relationship with my brother. The next day, I got a call from him and it turned out that he had confronted his parents about it. They admitted the truth and he got in a big fight with them. He came to my place and is now refusing to speak to his parents and says he'll cut ties with them. My sister (21F) is angry that they never told her and won't come back from college to see them. My youngest sibling (18M) is taking his parents' side and says that I've completely ruined their family.

My phone has been blowing up with texts and calls and even my mother wants me to apologize for what I did. They're saying that I stirred trouble for no reason and am bitter about my own circumstances so I'm trying to put my siblings in the same situation. At the time, I was just angry and I thought I was justified, but now I feel like I made my siblings' life more difficult. I don't want them to ruin their relationship with their parents, and it's not like I was forced to tell them about it, I just wanted to clear my mom's name. My brother is clearly very upset and the whole family is up in arms. I think I should've just kept quiet.

AITA for sharing a secret I shouldn't have and ruining my siblings' relationship with their parents?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

blatman posted:

edit: enhance

Is this Loss?

Anyway, content!

AITA for not sharing the beach house?

quote:

Twelve years ago our grandparents died, leaving their beach house to me (37f) and my brother (35m). The place is within drivable distance of my town; my work is such that I can do it remotely a lot of the time; I now have two small children. Because of all these factors, through the years, I’ve been in the beach house much more, basically summering in it, while my brother, who lives much more distant, only crashes occasionally or requests it for a couple of weeks, while I often nipped in through the winter.

My brother is now married to my SIL (25f). My SIL has very specific ideas of what ‘their new married life’ will be like (Pinterest board, custom hashtag for social media, Cricut affirmations pasted around the house). The beach house features prominently in it. Despite their having to drive four hours to get to it, she insists we should ‘divide time equally’ and ‘leave it free if they want it’ and that she may well ‘redecorate to make it more hers’.

I have redecorated that house to suit me. I asked my brother for no money, except for structural issues. There are three bedrooms, so there are no reasons we couldn’t be there together. My brother literally told me he ‘wasn’t there enough to care’ about swapping use of the main bedroom, which is the only seafront one, and in which my husband has built our bed. She wants that particularly, claiming it would be ‘their perfect love nest’.

I think it’s my bedroom and while she’s welcome to my brother’s, she can’t have mine. As well, we had established how to work it, I have built my patterns around it, and I don’t want to change it now. She says she can’t be there while we’re there because ‘it would ruin the feeling of retreat’. My brother is happy with whatever she’s happy with, but I know very well determined opposition on my part will make him back down. (The last discussion we had about it, when I pointedly asked ‘would she like to decoupage ‘live love laugh’ on the kitchen table?’ He winced and left the room).

So if I want to hold on to the house on my terms, I can. But does it make me the rear end in a top hat?

To be clear:

- I don’t object to their being here more
- I don’t object to their having more alone time
- I don’t object to their redecorating their room/bathroom however
- I don’t object to their bringing some things in

But I object to having to swap my room after 12 years, having her overhaul spaces I redecorated and spent money on, and agreeing to a rigid 50/50 schedule when I already know my brother cba with regular long drives.

ETA: you guys: I'm totally fine with being called an AH. But I find it hilarious that people here think my brother is an unfortunate and bullied soul. He left our hometown to strike out on his chosen career. He did wonderfully. He bought a house before me and my husband did. He adores travelling abroad and until he met SIL he wasn't keen on romantic commitment. I'd spend week-ends pottering about the house and he'd fly to Bangkok to hike. And that was wonderful for both of us.

The issue here is that he is conflict-avoidant and unwilling to discuss this with me and my sister in law. I certainly flipped out and I am happy admitting it and bringing discussion back. But believe you me: he wasn't in the beach house because he was having the time of his life elsewhere

ETA 2: right people, I think I heard enough. I have spoken to a mortgage advisor as to how much I should offer, and will discuss it with my husband re using our savings as deposit. I will then offer to my brother when we meet up to discuss (details being firmed up). If I manage, I'll update.

One thing I want to say: it's pretty laughable to me that people so quickly assume I don't know my brother or am strong-arming him or bullying him or whatever else. I got use of the house, and he got someone else to maintain his private ensuite for the one to two weeks a year he wanted it. Seaview room might be best for lots, but he rather wanted to annex a bathroom and that's what he did.

They also aren't Airbnb'ing this as some of you suggested. This isn't a random vacation share, it's a well-loved family home that (with my brother's full knowledge, consent, and enjoyment of the fact that everything was clean and lovely and updated every time he came here, which was rarely) I used more and more over the years. I trust my brother to acknowledge that.

As for 'people change when they get married': if this was my brother asking me these things, it would be different. What I got was my SIL swanning in with demands and him murmuring noncommittally in the background. You are all very right I should have brought it to him first though, and that's on me. But I hardly denied his wishes. Because truth is: his wishes haven't changed. They've been together two years and his pattern of using the house hasn't changed, she just thinks it will because now she has redone their main home she wants another project/IG backdrop.

Anyway. Thanks to those of you who engaged in good faith, very much including all the YTAs who managed 5o speak to my relationship with the house without implying I was cheating my brother out of it. Reddit, AITA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for ruining my father's family?
family sowing vs family reaping

Quackles posted:

AITA for not sharing the beach house?

Very defensive, but OP's in the right here. If SIL wants to make it an extension of whatever princess fantasy she has, it's only going to get worse and that poo poo needs to get worked out n-o-w now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scaevolus posted:

Maybe calling it a percentage is a bit of an oversimplification but lol if you get anything even close to the right answer when you ask someone who’s jumping to loving eugenics because they got a 130 one time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Could someone repost the fuckin “Torkbuzz” story, it’s one of my favorites

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dongsturm posted:

If a child repeatedly collapses and the parent goes, "no doctor for you", I feel very comfortable calling them a bad parent.

If the family dog did that, it would get a trip to the vet, but hey, hospital is expensive. We gotta save that money for the dog.

Fair call in this specific case, I was speaking more generally since this kind of story is such a staple of this and the estranged parents threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
it sucks the uh, quote attributor is no poo poo :catdrugs: but “great tits and an ashkenazi IQ” is one of my favorite phrases.

Carry on