Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I was riding my Florida Man last night and noticed that when I tried to ride hands free, the front wheel wanted to oscillate back and forth when I was riding on pavement--gravel seemed to dampen things out and I could ride straight.

This is probably because my handlebar bag was loaded more heavily than normal, yeah? Would a bag support rack help eliminate this? This is the first time I've had this happen, and I haven't made any geometry changes to my cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Fork rake and geometry makes a big difference bike to bike, but yeah I would be worth trying again without a loaded bag. I mean, should take you 30 seconds to check that out.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

spf3million posted:

Lube chat: does anyone have a favorite grease gun? I had a cheap metal one for a while but it broke. It was a pain to reload. I'd like to get one of the mini guns that screw straight onto the tube, are the threads on difficult greases tubes generally universal?

$12 Astro 101 has been great. I tried a few of the screw on ones previously and they always leak at the plunger.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I was riding my Florida Man last night and noticed that when I tried to ride hands free, the front wheel wanted to oscillate back and forth when I was riding on pavement--gravel seemed to dampen things out and I could ride straight.

This is probably because my handlebar bag was loaded more heavily than normal, yeah? Would a bag support rack help eliminate this? This is the first time I've had this happen, and I haven't made any geometry changes to my cockpit.

Could be a case of shimmy - although it is usually with a low-trail fork and not something like the Florida Man, you’ll want a needle bearing headset to make it slightly stiffer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I would expect a handle bar bag to contribute to flop but dampen shimmy, but maybe you just happened to find a harmonic frequency of your bike. Next time it happens try putting your thigh against the top tube to see if it dampens it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The current state of my FM build.

Hopefully have wheel rims and remaining bits in a month, and riding by December :ohdear:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have a bike that had terrible headshake when ridden no handed but it's a stable headshake so I got used to riding some the road with a bit of a wobble. It's a weird phenomenon that seems to have to do with a number of things, changing bar bags, bars, wheels, etc seemed to occasionally stabilize things but it ended but being a tweaked fork not sitting quite square to everything else.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Today I learnt the 700cc vs 27 inch thing

Jfc it sucks

I also put a new saddle on

It's rad

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

sweat poteto posted:

The current state of my FM build.

Hopefully have wheel rims and remaining bits in a month, and riding by December :ohdear:

seriously digging the Pepto Pink

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

It's gotten down to just above 0 degrees Celsius over here, but...

...biking still good.
Especially if the weather is otherwise calm and with some sun out.
And with proper warm clothing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable air pump or other way to put air in a tire while on the road? I also probably need to get a bigger bag for my bike if I'm going to start carrying around pump + spare tube on top of everything else...

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I'd recommend a pump with a hose and a lever closure for the valve, like the Silca Tattico or Topeak Mini-Morph. I would not recommend the hose type that screws on (eg Lezyne), since it will probably unscrew the valve and now you're not going anywhere.

Next best thing would be a regular pump that doesn't have a hose. Just have to be more gentle with the valve stem on those.

Any decent pump will come with a mount that goes on the bottle cage bolts and sits next to the frame, so you don't need to carry it separately in a bag.

If you're not far from gas stations you could also get a little presta-schraeder adapter so you can use the gas station inflator in a pinch.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 24, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

would not recommend the hose type that screws on (eg Lezyne), since it will probably unscrew the valve and now you're not going anywhere.

Learned this the hard way. Continental tubes in particular seem to come with their removable cores only hand tight from the factory. Why even bother with removable cores in tubes idk.

But now I also keep a valve core tool in my saddle bag since it’s tiny and weighs nothing. I’ve also converted to tubeless

The Lezyne road drive is otherwise pretty good

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Screw on chucks are fine and preferable to flip chucks. Fight me.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

sweat poteto posted:

I'd recommend a pump with a hose and a lever closure for the valve, like the Silca Tattico or Topeak Mini-Morph.

2nd rec for the Tattico, I've owned various Lezyne's and lifelines and it's by far the nicest pump. I feel you get to really appreciate a good pump when it's pouring and you need to fix a flat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Screw on chucks are fine and preferable to flip chucks. Fight me.

With non-removable cores, totally agree. I didn't realize removable was a thing until i was helping a stranger with their flat one day and it kept removing the core and dumping the air.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Tighten the core before threading on the pump and it's fine. I have two different thread on pumps and a thread on CO2 chuck and they're all great.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The screw on lezyne pump has a button which releases air pressure so it doesn't take the valve out

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guinness posted:

Why even bother with removable cores in tubes idk.

For one thing, valve extenders

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've put sealant in latex tubes. Works great.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

spf3million posted:

Lube chat: does anyone have a favorite grease gun?

An irrigation syringe with a curved tip

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

wooger posted:

How much do they depreciate then?

For tax purposes in the UK (we have a tax dodging cyclescheme bike purchase system), the market value of a bike is assessed at 25% of original value after one year.

I bought a 2ish year old used bike for close to 1/3 of its value new.

Compared to that 20% a year seems optimistic if anything.

There's always Bromptons. They don't seem to depreciate much at all.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I bought a nice used bike a couple months ago and have ridden it a few times. I've been storing it in my basement, but it's a pain in the rear end to get it up and down from there. I'm wondering whether there are any issues with storing it in my barn (locked of course). It's not insulated and I'm in upstate new york, so it gets very cold over the winter - potentially sub-zero (F) temps from time to time. Is that going to destroy my tires, etc?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

truavatar posted:

I bought a nice used bike a couple months ago and have ridden it a few times. I've been storing it in my basement, but it's a pain in the rear end to get it up and down from there. I'm wondering whether there are any issues with storing it in my barn (locked of course). It's not insulated and I'm in upstate new york, so it gets very cold over the winter - potentially sub-zero (F) temps from time to time. Is that going to destroy my tires, etc?

I used to have the same issue with my tandem. I used to keep it in an uninsulated shed under moving blankets to try and keep the moisture at bay. It worked pretty well.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nah it's fine. Just check your tire pressures before riding and keep stuff lubed.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
cold doesn't matter, water and salt are killers. Keep it dry and clean well after a winter ride, and you'll be fine

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Awesome, thanks all!

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

truavatar posted:

I'd check if the frame has a hole for water to get out under the bottom bracket. I've seen a few bikes with cracked chainstays when the water has had no way out and it has frozen and expanded. Few millimeters is big enough hole and it's fairly easy to drill (steel or aluminum frame) but requires removing the cranks and bottom bracket. If it's a steel frame the sewer helps with rust too. A shop should be able to do this for you pretty cheap.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for 28-30 wet weather road tires? Currently using Michelin Pro 4 endurance and they have no tread, I live in a very rainy climate and it's getting pretty slippery out there. Thanks!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

blk posted:

Anyone have recommendations for 28-30 wet weather road tires? Currently using Michelin Pro 4 endurance and they have no tread, I live in a very rainy climate and it's getting pretty slippery out there. Thanks!

On wet pavement tread doesn't matter, and in fact can even be slightly worse because it means less rubber contacting the surface. The only reason for tread on wet pavement is to prevent hydroplaning, which is not a concern on bicycles. The tire profile is too narrow and the speeds are too low that it simply does not happen.

Praise Sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

When it is wet it will be slippery regardless of your tires. Adjust your riding accordingly.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 25, 2021

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Guinness posted:

On wet pavement tread doesn't matter, and in fact can even be slightly worse because it means less rubber contacting the surface. The only reason for tread on wet pavement is to prevent hydroplaning, which is not a concern on bicycles. The tire profile is too narrow and the speeds are too low that it simply does not happen.

Praise Sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

When it is wet it will be slippery regardless of your tires. Adjust your riding accordingly.

TIL, thank you. Would the hardness of the material matter at all? I notice these tires are a lot more "rigid" than, say, my GP 4 Seasons that I had on last time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

blk posted:

TIL, thank you. Would the hardness of the material matter at all? I notice these tires are a lot more "rigid" than, say, my GP 4 Seasons that I had on last time.

Sure, tire compounds and sidewall stiffness/suppleness will vary. A super soft compound race tire isn't necessarily designed to operate in sub-freezing temperatures, for example. Or a several years old aged tire will not be as soft and supple as a brand new tire.

I'm not personally familiar with the Pro 4 Endurance but it's marketed as an all-season/all-weather road tire. Maybe your pressures are too high if it feels too rigid? Or maybe it's just overall a stiffer tire. If you previously had GP 4 Seasons that you liked better there's certainly no harm in switching back to them. My wife rides on GP 4 Seasons and has been happy with them.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 25, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

blk posted:

Run slightly lower pressures

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I have a set of the Pro 4 Endurances and they seem pretty soft to me. I'd try lower pressures like MrL_JaKiri recommended before anything else.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMx_JooERQ

Lachlan Morton taking on the Alt Tour, great stuff.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMx_JooERQ

Lachlan Morton taking on the Alt Tour, great stuff.

This is good but I want 8 hours of it not 30 minutes

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Bike thread. I’ve been looking at getting into cycling after a recent trip to Detroit and riding e-bikes around the city and having loving blast doing it. Currently I have two old road bikes my grandfather gave me. I’ve had fun just riding them around the block when I want to be outside but they seem way to small for me and my entire body just hurts after riding them. Plus they have massive sentimental value and would be pretty upset if anything happened to them.

So I’ve been looking at the local stores and I guess what I’m interested in is a gravel bike/some kind of commuter that I can beat up and not give a poo poo about. Where I live cycling (seems to) sucks. I live on a massive hill and to get anywhere I’d want to go I’ve got to climb other huge hills over busted up pavement with no bike infra.
I’m on the west side of Cincinnati if anybody is familiar.

I guess what I’m asking is it even really worth getting a bike if I’m just going to put it in my truck to go ride it somewhere else? Seems like it defeats the point. And if anybody knows the area where is a good place to ride?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

I guess what I’m asking is it even really worth getting a bike if I’m just going to put it in my truck to go ride it somewhere else?

There are plenty of bikes where you can only do this (eg downhill mountain bikes). Ride bikes if you enjoy it, do it how you want.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Bike thread. I’ve been looking at getting into cycling after a recent trip to Detroit and riding e-bikes around the city and having loving blast doing it. Currently I have two old road bikes my grandfather gave me. I’ve had fun just riding them around the block when I want to be outside but they seem way to small for me and my entire body just hurts after riding them. Plus they have massive sentimental value and would be pretty upset if anything happened to them.

So I’ve been looking at the local stores and I guess what I’m interested in is a gravel bike/some kind of commuter that I can beat up and not give a poo poo about. Where I live cycling (seems to) sucks. I live on a massive hill and to get anywhere I’d want to go I’ve got to climb other huge hills over busted up pavement with no bike infra.
I’m on the west side of Cincinnati if anybody is familiar.

I guess what I’m asking is it even really worth getting a bike if I’m just going to put it in my truck to go ride it somewhere else? Seems like it defeats the point. And if anybody knows the area where is a good place to ride?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ride bikes if you enjoy it, do it how you want.

Bikes are great fun but if you have bad infrastructure around where you live then yeah, nothing much is going to make that better (aside from moving! :v:) - you'll have to take the bike elsewhere to have fun - like a downhill centre or a trail centre like MrL_JaKiri suggested.

Hey, if you really enjoyed the e-bike, have you thought about getting one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ebikes are a great solution for living on big hills. If that’s the only part of the ride you would need much assistance on you could get something fairly lightweight (for an ebike) and short range.

I live on a giant hill and used an ebike to commute for a long time, I would use the lowest assistance mode the entire ride until I got to my hill and then I would crank it and blast up it.