Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the poppy is to remember all the weak british men who died during war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

where would you like americans to decolonialize themselves to? most of us don't have any ties to anywhere but america, despite the protestations of racist idiots that they're actually european because they allegedly had a great-great grandparent that was

i want you to reread what i said and think very hard

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

forkboy84 posted:

The British Legion do wee lapel poppies every year in the lead up to November 11th, Rembrance Day. And at some point it turned from remembering people who died in pointless wars into a very American style bonkers SUPPORT R BRAVE BOYS thing. And if you don't wear one (or wear a white poppy which is made by some pacifist charity) it really gets the gammon redder & madder than usual

I think because poppies grew in the fields in Flanders after WW1 battles. British Legion was started by Field Marshall Haig as a charity to support ex-servicemen hosed up by his own callous disregard for their wellbeing in the course of an utterly pointless example of imperialist willy waving.

I'd say about the Iraq invasion is when it went full SUPPORT ARE BOYS FUTURE SOLDIER, though maybe that's just when I was old enough to really notice it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Would like to see all of Boston relocated to Ireland & being stunned how left wing Sinn Fein are

well lets not go crazy

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Thanks for the answers everyone. Does this supporting r troops include getting those hosed up by the war they've been in any psychological/psychiatric assistance or assistance getting back into normal society, or is it all performative ?

And no, I am not British, I'm barely Dutch.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Absolutely not, and it's also pro war

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the British Legion does do ex-forces support work with the proceeds, but it is absolutely a secondary concern when buying a poppy to telling people how much you love our brave beautiful troops

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

poppy season becomes an escalating game of insane one-upmanship to prove how patriotic you are to your fellow gammonfolk. If at any point you think 'hmm that seems a bit gauche' a horde of wobbling angry red faced men will loudly berate you as a traitor

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kecske posted:

poppy season becomes an escalating game of insane one-upmanship to prove how patriotic you are to your fellow gammonfolk

ah there he is

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they made cookie monster wear a poppy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The final boss of Remembrance Day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this is are country

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

Thanks for the answers everyone. Does this supporting r troops include getting those hosed up by the war they've been in any psychological/psychiatric assistance or assistance getting back into normal society, or is it all performative ?

And no, I am not British, I'm barely Dutch.

So yes & no. The people who do the poppy, the British Legion, do actually do a lot of good work with helping people (well, specifically British ex-forces, gently caress them Iraqi civilians) traumatised in war physically & mentally. I remember as a kid, & we're only going back 25 years, it seemed a good cause: a lot of soldiers do get forgotten about, especially the ones who end up damaged in some way by the conflict, & more than that a lot of them were obviously conscripts. But more than that, Rembrance Day was about everyone who died in war: "our troops", the enemy, civilians, didn't matter. It felt like an important thing, remembering the human costs of war.

It definitely started to change during the endless War on Terror but tbh I'd pinpoint it to when the last men to serve in World War 1 died off the jingoism ramped up. Because Harry Patch was pretty clear what he thought about war

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ro5s posted:

I'd say about the Iraq invasion is when it went full SUPPORT ARE BOYS FUTURE SOLDIER, though maybe that's just when I was old enough to really notice it.

It was after Harry Patch died, or at least that's when it became obvious to me

Like so many things I'm sure there's no absolute distinct line

e; f,b

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What the gently caress, between poppy golems and the loving captain tom effigies I feel like I'm losing my loving mind.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I used to work with an Irish lad and fondly remember the day when he explained in detail why no, he wouldn't be putting any money in the poppy tin

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m old enough to remember when there was a charity whip round to raise enough cash to buy our boys body armour because we either didn’t have any or the stuff they gave them was garbage

not sure the poppy helps that though, more for physical and psychological support for those who came back maimed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

forkboy84 posted:

The British Legion do wee lapel poppies every year in the lead up to November 11th, Rembrance Day. And at some point it turned from remembering people who died in pointless wars into a very American style bonkers SUPPORT R BRAVE BOYS thing. And if you don't wear one (or wear a white poppy which is made by some pacifist charity) it really gets the gammon redder & madder than usual

I think because poppies grew in the fields in Flanders after WW1 battles. British Legion was started by Field Marshall Haig as a charity to support ex-servicemen hosed up by his own callous disregard for their wellbeing in the course of an utterly pointless example of imperialist willy waving.

the timing of this transformation seems to have been the literal day that harry patch died

e. goddamn it, should read more posts before responding!!!!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

V. Illych L. posted:

the timing of this transformation seems to have been the literal day that harry patch died

e. goddamn it, should read more posts before responding!!!!

it was on its way long before then. the poppy appeal started out as pro-war distraction from post-WW1 poverty among demobilised soldiers, and the last 20 years especially have been an escalation of militarism. but patch's death was definitely the go signal for just outright zero-contradiction lying about how wonderful war

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah it always seemed conflicted before his death, but once he died there was no more conflict it just became an uncomplicated jingoistic thing immediately - i recall seeing a real shift in tone from my foreign vantage, at least

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
the shift towards 'Poppy Week' instead of Remembrance Sunday happened at least in 2013 with the BBC running a full week of pro-war programming (about how wonderful Afghanistan was now, etc)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Relevant Tangent posted:

where would you like americans to decolonialize themselves to? most of us don't have any ties to anywhere but america, despite the protestations of racist idiots that they're actually european because they allegedly had a great-great grandparent that was
By virtue of the US being a continuation of a British colony, all Americans should be repatriated to Britain. Possibly Floridians and the citizens of former Mexican territories might be allowed to go to Spain instead.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah it always seemed conflicted before his death, but once he died there was no more conflict it just became an uncomplicated jingoistic thing immediately - i recall seeing a real shift in tone from my foreign vantage, at least

timing is a bit suspect, i think it might be a correlation rather than causation thing. he died ten months before the conservatives got in and well into the culture war around iraq and afghanistan and how the veterans were being treated and remembered.

it's symbolic to say that it was the last vet that did it but it's not like there was any shortage of awful british empire veterans they could roll out in times of national crisis.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I think FUTURE SOLDIERS, CHARITY SINGLE was before Harry Patch died, the big difference was that politicians (and especially Gove) started going on long Imperialism Is Good, Actually tangents during interviews and ranting about how history textbooks need to be more balanced, by insisting every third page that Britannia is the hero and main character of history.

And the press loving loved it, so they decided to never have former soldiers on tv again, just politicians talking about how war is a bangers lark. Public figures just weren't willing to risk being told to gently caress off by decorated ww1 vets.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Do we go through this again when there's 10 surviving WW2 vets? Or is the cat out of the bag now?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no they were clever enough to paint that particularly conflict a lovely shade of rose decades ago. we don't pity ww2 vets, we alternately venerate or envy them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

no they were clever enough to paint that particularly conflict a lovely shade of rose decades ago. we don't pity ww2 vets, we alternately venerate or envy them.

be fair nazis were v. bad

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

wait inflammable means flammable??

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is that like a climate change graph or something, because there is absolutely no chance that newfoundland was more habitable than the british isles? geographically it's literally the other chunk of scotland with less arable land and a much less hospitable climate.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also biiiiiig chunks of canada at least were extensively human habituated before european colonialism and continuously since. i'm pretty sure i went to high school somewhere right under an A, lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I seem to remember it was Tony Blair that kicked off the fetishization of the military. I'll see if I can find a reference.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
going off what i think their definition of "habitable" is that is being way too generous to canada

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It's a hilariously poo poo and suspect infographic for a lot of reasons but the UK being totally uninhabitable is the reason I posted it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I seem to remember it was Tony Blair that kicked off the fetishization of the military. I'll see if I can find a reference.

i sometimes read peter hitchens' blog and i enjoy that he consistently calls him "the Blair creature"

it captures better than anyone else just what an abomination the guy is

hitchens is generally crazy, but he does vindicate the decision from time to time and was for a while one of corbyn's biggest defenders in the press, out of nostalgia and contrarianism

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
isn't that a big chunk of the great plains in western NA too? huge slam on the people of...montana maybe?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CoolCab posted:

i want you to reread what i said and think very hard

you can just say get in the sea

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CoolCab posted:

isn't that a big chunk of the great plains in western NA too? huge slam on the people of...montana maybe?

that's the Rocky Mountains

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
OK there was a thing called Veterans' Awareness Week in 2005. (Blair was PM, post-Iraq). This focused more on living veterans rather than Remembrance Day which focuses on the dead.

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/28381/veterans-awareness-week-july-2005

This then turned into Veterans' Day for 2006/7/8 and thence to Armed Forces Day from 2009 onwards.

https://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/about/

And here is a blog article someone wrote back in 2010:

https://labelledamesanssouci.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/the-growing-fetishisation-of-the-military-in-the-uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

you can just say get in the sea

you might well think that, i couldn't possibly comment

Zoran posted:

that's the Rocky Mountains

oh, then huge slam on the people of...idaho? god my american geography is terrible