Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

if the fandom at large is to be believed every character is dating every character

i see no reason to think otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Amber is eula's only friend. It's not like they could have pictured her with anyone else.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
A question on team comps now that I'm starting to look at abyss: clearly national team is very powerful due to putting all the overpowered 4* together, but doesn't it make it much harder to form a second team? Would it be better to spread the supports among both sides, or are there strong teams which don't use any of Bennett/Xiangling/Xingqiu?
My 5* characters are Raiden and Diluc who seem to also rely on the same core of supports.

I'd experiment with it more myself but frankly farming hilichurl masks and the like sucks so I'd like to get it right on the first try.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hazdoc posted:

Saying the Genshin world has ties to a past earth cuz one guy is named after a mythological character kinda means nothing when the 7 nations are modeled after real-world places, use real-world iconography in places, etc etc.

Additionally, of all the theories, the "traveler is using copies of people's memories via constellations" or whatnot is probably the worst, IMO. That implies that we're able to use the 7 elements -already-, and the fact that we only limit ourselves to the elements we've encountered in story scenes is just misdirection. In the fight against Childe, we only use Anemo and Geo, which also apparently impresses Childe. Against the Raiden Shogun, we use Electro. If we copy the memories and abilities of other characters, there's been zero overt hints to it in the story, all of it coming from people's own theories.

Lastly, the the Sibling doesn't have a special element. The Traveler also has white highlights, after they wake up but before you synchronize with Anemo from the first Statue of the Seven in Monstadt.

The lore tidbit deliberately references the myth of Ajax. As in, an actual ancient myth. Unless they pull a fake out later on and make Ajax exist in Teyvat (entirely possible) they're linked.

Keep in mind that every Impact story and crossover has had something to do with Earth. It and the moon are focal points of the parts of the story that has to do with any Kiana lookalike. Even that alternate universe Durandal visited was a batshit crazy alternate history of events that ended up taking place in an alternate history of Earth where various notable figures were basically super powered.

Heck, even the sequel with the train only exists because they've finally started moving beyond the original plotline of Honkai to explore the sci-fi aspects of the setting.

Also, you're entirely wrong about the sibling. Go back to one of the later cutscenes that feature them and you'll note that the male sibling (It's easier to note it on him due to the way he's positioned. Though the female sibling has the same glow on her clothes if you look carefully.) has a white light coming out of his bits on his clothes where the themed colored lighting for an element is. Notably, this happens in the intro before they get their powers taken away and in later cutscenes when they reunite with the one you choose in the intro cinematic when they're supposed to have been depowered.

Contrast this with the post intro cinematic tutorial before they interact with the statue, where the bits and bobs are explicitly not glowing. Which probably means that the sibling got their powers back already and there's probably another element there given that colored lights=element type thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPwDweBzFc
(2:13 shows what I mean about him not having the elemental glow effect. Unfortunately it's a pain to find a character screenshot of the traveler before interacting with a shrine.)

Not going to post a screenshot of the spoilered bit above since it's a big moment in the story. But you get the idea. Instead, here's an elemental notecard description that also points out that the seven aren't really a laid in stone thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 25, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

Amber is eula's only friend. It's not like they could have pictured her with anyone else.
Eula and Jean seem to get along too going by their bios/voice lines, but they don't interact in Eula's character quest unlike Amber.

Redmark posted:

A question on team comps now that I'm starting to look at abyss: clearly national team is very powerful due to putting all the overpowered 4* together, but doesn't it make it much harder to form a second team? Would it be better to spread the supports among both sides, or are there strong teams which don't use any of Bennett/Xiangling/Xingqiu?
My 5* characters are Raiden and Diluc who seem to also rely on the same core of supports.
you could run raiden/bennett/xiangling/sucrose on one end and diluc/xingqui/diona/kaeya on the other, maybe? Diluc wants Xingqui more than Raiden and Raiden can give Xiangling the energy she needs to ult. Sucrose can help group enemies up to make up for the lack of electricity bouncing around, Diona and Kaeya can add melt/shattering freeze damage for Diluc.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its Eula's birthday and pretty much the closest friend she has is Amber.

Its why I saw a bunch of amber + eula art on pixiv yesterday.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Endorph posted:

you could run raiden/bennett/xiangling/sucrose on one end and diluc/xingqui/diona/kaeya on the other, maybe? Diluc wants Xingqui more than Raiden and Raiden can give Xiangling the energy she needs to ult. Sucrose can help group enemies up to make up for the lack of electricity bouncing around, Diona and Kaeya can add melt/shattering freeze damage for Diluc.

That's good feedback regarding the Diluc ideas. I've been shying away from forming teams with multiple reaction types since I've no idea how they're supposed to work but I guess I should suck it up and read some dissertations about elemental gauges or whatever :v:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

AshtonDragon posted:

It's true, though? I feel effectively invincible whenever I'm in Bennet's burst, and I honestly forgot it scaled off his HP until just now. It's fine when you're still new and don't have any decent artifacts to put on him, but I definitely would encourage people to use something else.

I'd rather have "too much" ER/HP and keep him off the field as much as I can. I tried atk/pyro/CR and I saw his level 11 ult crit for 25k damage. the difference between that and what he does with support artifacts is 1/2 of a xiao plunge, or two eula AA hits.

with no support artifacts, mine has just under 16k hp and heals 3,200/tick. with the condition on his healing, max HP after taking some damage is ~12k-14k. the frostarm lawachurl in the blizzard strayer domain charges for ~13-14k. that's too small a margin to play around with on someone who's supposed to keep my team alive

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sexual Aluminum posted:

People really like their wifus

Edit: does this count as queer baiting?

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1452485066525794311?s=20

dont be gay with members of the posh slaveowner class who spit on peasants imo
even if she only spits on peasants because she's a massive idiot with 0 critical thinking, empathy, or social skills who thinks that's a "normal" greeting because of how she was raised

god i hate how eula's character is written

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its pretty simple

fire + water = vape. this one does a ton of damage so its good.
fire + ice = melt. this one does less damage so its not as good.
fire + electricity = i forget what its called but it causes an explosion. its okay but explosions can throw enemies around in annoying ways.
water + ice = freeze. this one makes it impossible to die if you lean into it.
water + electricity: i forget what its called but it makes electricity bounce around. the damage is kinda low but it has a big aoe.
ice + electricity: superconduct. it does basically no damage but shreds the enemy's physical resist so its good for all two viable physical dps's in the game. otherwise sucks.

wind: wind causes swirl which is just an additional application of the non-wind element, and spreads the element its reacting with around.

earth: sucks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

even if she only spits on peasants because she's a massive idiot with 0 critical thinking, empathy, or social skills who thinks that's a "normal" greeting because of how she was raised

god i hate how eula's character is written

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

she isnt a member of the posh slaveowner class tho. shes loving broke. their entire familys broke and has been for years. eula's uncle lives out in a tent in the mountains. thats the whole idea.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah and he spends the whole time he's sitting in that tent thinking "i am a posh slaveowner, i deserve a mansion and slaves, this wrong needs to be righted!!!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but eula, does not think that. that is also the idea.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

its pretty simple

fire + electricity = i forget what its called but it causes an explosion. its okay but explosions can throw enemies around in annoying ways.
water + electricity: i forget what its called but it makes electricity bounce around. the damage is kinda low but it has a big aoe.
ice + electricity: superconduct. it does basically no damage but shreds the enemy's physical resist so its good for all two viable physical dps's in the game. otherwise sucks.

wind: wind causes swirl which is just an additional application of the non-wind element, and spreads the element its reacting with around.

melt does more damage than vaporize (when triggered by pyro -- it's the opposite when the hydro/cryo is the trigger element)
the downside is that it removes the cryo status much faster than vape removes the hydro status, so although it's better for single hits it's worse when you want to cause many reactions in a row
and there's no cryo xingqiu

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Endorph posted:

its pretty simple

I mean more like, if you have fire/water/ice with Diluc being DPS, is that better than just having fire/water for vaporize? Is it like you do half the melt and half the vaporize, or double, and how does freeze affect this? I know I've seen multiple elements on a monster at the same time, how does that work and why don't they react? I don't know how to analyze things like that without actually doing it in-game (and even then it's not clear how to come up with the proper rotation).

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah and he spends the whole time he's sitting in that tent thinking "i am a posh slaveowner, i deserve a mansion and slaves, this wrong needs to be righted!!!"

Hey he's also actively trying to overthrow mondstadt society and place himself at the head give him some credit.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

melt is actually more damage (2x) for pyro than vape (1.5x), but as a result it clears more cryo gauge than we can currently apply and usually results in pyro becoming the aura for cryo to reverse melt (in this case, a character likely less geared than Diluc and thus lower damage)

the same happens with applying hydro to pyro and it's part of why Childe can both outpace multiple pyro sources but also why his teams prioritize gear for Xiangling first, because he's just setting up the reaction for her to do 1.5x damage.

e: in a team with Xingqiu i wouldn't be surprised if things combine such that you end up clearing elements and applying a pyro aura occasionally, but you should be able to reset bc Diluc only applies pyro at the beginning and end of his attack chain while XQ applies hydro with every wave of swords and will rebuild the hydro aura

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 25, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Redmark posted:

I mean more like, if you have fire/water/ice with Diluc being DPS, is that better than just having fire/water for vaporize? Is it like you do half the melt and half the vaporize, or double, and how does freeze affect this? I know I've seen multiple elements on a monster at the same time, how does that work and why don't they react? I don't know how to analyze things like that without actually doing it in-game (and even then it's not clear how to come up with the proper rotation).
its almost always better to have multiple reactions going on instead of just one yeah. im not someone who knows the exact numbers but i can tell you that freezing, melting, and vaping dudes is gonna do more work than just vaping them over and over

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

She's opposed to her stupid uncle's plans to take over monstadt or whatever but isn't much better in terms of classism
like in her story quest she wants to show you the 'traditional manners of her people' so she just stops a random passerby and basically says "hey gently caress you kneel on the floor and kiss my boots, peasant' and it's framed like it's ~so wacky!~
meanwhile that guy was probably around 60 years ago when her grandparents were doing the same thing unironically
she never at any point shows compassion for the people that her family historically oppressed she just kinda makes a joke out of doing it again 'ironically' and then leaves without apologizing and laughs about it with the traveler

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

She's opposed to her stupid uncle's plans to take over monstadt or whatever but isn't much better in terms of classism
like in her story quest she wants to show you the 'traditional manners of her people' so she just stops a random passerby and basically says "hey gently caress you kneel on the floor and kiss my boots, peasant' and it's framed like it's ~so wacky!~
meanwhile that guy was probably around 60 years ago when her grandparents were doing the same thing unironically
she never at any point shows compassion for the people that her family historically oppressed she just kinda makes a joke out of doing it again 'ironically' and then leaves without apologizing and laughs about it with the traveler

it was pretty wacky

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Eula walked around monsdtadt calling everyone peasants and telling them to kneel to her. She seemed to get sad when this made people angry. I'm not even sure she was being ironic, I don't think she seemed to understand why it was inappropriate and paimon's conclusion was that the people of mondstadt are unfairly mean to her (???). It really didn't make any sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shes demonstrating how her uncle would expect you to talk.

quote:

'So you knew all along that we'd encounter these kinds of problems?'
Paimon: Yeah, why were you so willing to try and demonstrate for us?

and also she, you know, stops her uncle from trying to enslave them. i feel like that shows some compassion.

its a pretty poorly done quest and her vengeance shtick is insanely overplayed but its pretty clear what's going on there. everyone in monstadt already hates her because of her being from the lawrences so she doesnt care about hamming it up just to help you figure out how to approach her uncle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
lmao what is this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

how are you still able to post on SA with this much surface level comprehension

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
ITT people debate whether the slaving family of literal aristocratic elitists that introduced and brutally upheld a classist society that benefitted only them to the detriment of all else are alright people now because one is an old jackass with no practical power living in the mountains while plotting to destroy the country and the other "ironically" acts like the pricks of old and is in need of a good rear end kicking and/or lesson in how to actually treat people decently in social situations.

Say, as a completely unrelated question that surely has no bearing whatsoever to this discussion: Whatever happened to all those chucklefucks online that "ironically" made racist jokes on places like /pol/ for years on end? Surely nothing ever bad came of that, right?

Even if it's done in a "Oh, isn't this out of touch spawn of a power hungry sociopath so funny." sort of way it still has some nasty implications locked up within it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

ITT people debate whether the slaving family of literal aristocratic elitists that introduced and brutally upheld a classist society that benefitted only them are good guys now because one is an old jackass in the mountain plotting to destroy the country and the other "ironically" acts like the pricks of old and is in need of a good rear end kicking and/or lesson in how to actually treat people decently in social situations.

Say, as a completely unrelated question that surely has no bearing whatsoever to this discussion: Whatever happened to all those chucklefucks online that "ironically" made racist jokes on places like /pol/ for years on end? Surely nothing ever bad came of that, right?

Even if it's done in a "Oh, isn't this out of touch spawn of a power hungry sociopath so funny." sort of way it still has some nasty implications locked up within it.

what

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

lmao what is this

Archonex
May 2, 2012

This is literally the conversation happening up above. Someone points out that Eula is kind of a lovely person within the narrative and then someone went "Nah man it's okay she's not like them." like that actually matters when her quest has her pulling off some spectacularly dickish moves and then wondering why everyone hates her.

Endorph posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also, this whole debate is intensely dumb.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 25, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Archonex posted:

Also also, apparently Honkai is getting a sequel. And it possibly involves the train from the many crossover and alternate universe events. So expect the possibility of more crossovers soon.

The ongoing sequel to Honkai that is built into Honkai which is itself still ongoing is getting a sequel. Unless it's an AU or something, which it might be.

Some of the characters look pretty Genshiny to me,
so if they wanted to tie lore together more without crowding it into the main games where it doesn't particularly matter, seems like a good way to do it.

But man, Honkai Impact 3rd containing it's own sequel in the form of A Post Honkai Odyssey feels weird as hell even before THAT gets a sequel.

Also I have missed most of the events but didn't see it mentioned in summaries, what's this about the train showing up before?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

This is literally the conversation happening up above. Someone points out that Eula is kind of a lovely person within the narrative and then someone went "Nah man it's ironic douchebaggery." like that actually matters.
i... iunno how to tell you this but a video game character being mildly socially awkward and rude in order to make a point and help someone out is not at all the same as people making jew jokes on 4chan.

and im that 'someone.' and im not saying its ironic, im saying she doesnt care how other people see her, because

quote:

Before I'd joined the Knights, good grief... I couldn't even buy groceries. Even Good Hunter and Mondstadt General Goods wouldn't take my money. I literally had to go out and hunt my own food and cook it over a campfire if I wanted to eat dinner.

her story quest is pretty badly written as an introduction to her and she has two jokes that they hammer on constantly but what are people even talking about here. she was a poor starving child who was treated terribly due to her last name. she became a knight to try and escape it, but both the citizens of the city and her own family treated her terribly and raged about it. therefore, she stopped caring how other people saw her and just decided to protect the city without really caring how other people saw her. hence, her hamming it up to show the protag how her uncle will talk to them and the kind of treatment he expects, as well as her explicitly stopping her uncle from doing anything that would actually advance the lawrence's power.

if it was 'ironic' in quotation marks why would she stop him. why are people saying she had any power in this situation when she was broke and starving. how can she be classist when she is the lowest class possible.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Captain France posted:

The ongoing sequel to Honkai that is built into Honkai which is itself still ongoing is getting a sequel. Unless it's an AU or something, which it might be.

Some of the characters look pretty Genshiny to me,
so if they wanted to tie lore together more without crowding it into the main games where it doesn't particularly matter, seems like a good way to do it.

But man, Honkai Impact 3rd containing it's own sequel in the form of A Post Honkai Odyssey feels weird as hell even before THAT gets a sequel.

Also I have missed most of the events but didn't see it mentioned in summaries, what's this about the train showing up before?

I mean, Honkai already has a Post Honkai Odyssey (yes, they released a sequel episode that confirmed a lot of particulars of how the story ends and what happens afterwards long before the actual story was done. It's pretty :psyduck:.) so maybe it's more like another Post Honkai Odyssey sort of thing?

Granted, the train thing is confusing as gently caress. It's like someone was really a fan of the sequel to Sunless Sea. The only way i've found that it figures into the lore is if it's the inter-reality train that has an alternate version of the captain during some crossover events.

One gets the feeling that they kind of want to move away from HI's current layout given how limited it is in terms of the back end. Genshin was supposedly developed partially because of that, according to one of the lead devs.

Edit: So, gotta get some videos to even begin to explain the train thing. Trainposting incoming in an edit/reply in a few as a result of that.

So in Honkai Impact 3 it's established that there are many universes and alternate timelines. This is used for a whole variety of both main story and side event purposes. Genshin is one of these universes/timelines, as confirmed by a cutscene in Honkai.

https://houkai3rd.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse

One of the big events way back when introduced the idea of traveling between these universes. For reference and understanding, the PC in the main storyline is a captain of an aerial battleship. The AU captains take various different roles depending on the universe. Sometimes they're captains of a large vessel, sometimes they're commanders of a base, sometimes it's even crazier with them being the head of an Olympic tier contest, etc, etc.

One of the more prominent versions of the Captain is the conductor of what's essentially some sort of hosed up interdimensional train that keeps showing up to rescue/collect characters and was the focus of a mostly long forgotten event that I never got to see. Note that when I say hosed up I mean that rescuing and collecting includes stuff that absolutely shouldn't show up in HI3 at all, like crossover characters from entirely other series like Evangelion.

Can't find a screenshot, wiki post, or video describing the HI3 train (especially with Star Rail cluttering up search results now) so I can't really visually show that part of the whole thing off. If I find one i'll post it here. :shrug:

The "sequel" to Honkai Impact (which has already gotten a main line sequel within the game itself called Post Honkai Odyssey :psyduck:) is using some of those same elements. This sequel is called Honkai Star Rail. Not only is it referencing trains in the name but the symbol for the game appears to be a high tech train colliding with a crescent moon (Remember how I said the moon is a focal point of the series of Impact games?). Furthermore, the game is confirmed to involve a more space oriented version of the interdimensional train.

quote:

Honkai: Star Rail is a new strategy RPG in the Honkai series that features a cast of adventures who travel across space on a cosmic train.

Hope that answers your question about the train. Presumably it'll be used to actually involve crossover events with the main HI3 timeline alongside whatever plot they've got, assuming Star Rail isn't an AU itself like Genshin.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 25, 2021

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Archonex posted:

Also, this whole debate is intensely dumb.

eula? yeah she's at risk of becoming a school shooter because of irony. anyway, this is all very beneath me,

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Lawrence Clan fell during Vennessa's rebellion, 1000 years before the present day. Her grandparents did their nasty aristocrat shtick unironically for sure, but they were deposed looooooong ago. People still hate the Lawrence Clan because of what their ancestors did, but also because the family at large thinks that what the old Mondstadt aristocracy did was great and glorious and they cling desperately to their traditional jackassery instead of being ashamed of it and/or accepting their new status.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Personally, I like using her with Raiden shogun and left clicking a lot but these are all interesting ideas too

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

On a completely note from insane poor situation comprehension

Honkai over a 12 month period released 11 characters recently, while Genshin released over 20 since 1.1 and that's not counting anything in November. And they both have 6 week patch cycles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endorph posted:

its pretty simple

I’m gonna adopt this approach to elemental combos because it’s true and correct

But I also like wind

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

On a completely note from insane poor situation comprehension

Honkai over a 12 month period released 11 characters recently, while Genshin released over 20 since 1.1 and that's not counting anything in November. And they both have 6 month patch cycles.

tbf presumably a lot of the honkai team is busy with star train or whatever

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Eula has a pretty color scheme and once swore revenge on someone for giving her a free salad, she's great :colbert:

(Also when she was being lovely to the "peasants" it was a demonstration for the sake of your undercover mission, she presumably doesn't usually act like that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

But I also like wind
wind is my favorite element and i hope someday they give us wind gorou