Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lord Bob posted:

I really liked this - there's absolute near zero "interactivity", you just float like a ghost and things just happen around you while you watch, but the fun is in deciding what to watch, and the way you naturally find huge twists just by following people around and watching where they go and who they talk to was a really great experience - and because everything is happening simultaneously you need to use the time jumps to go back and follow different people to see different events that you only heard about / heard at a distance.

They pack a surprisingly dense number of mad twists and turns into it.

I played it on psvr early in my vr days so I don't know how many transport options it has, but it's a real cool concept and I wish there were more games that played with the same idea of like "walk around a big complex stage play as it's just going on its own".

Oh that's cool, sounds like Sleep No More!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Bigsteve posted:

Hmmm, trying to use the oculus tray too to check on performance and it seems to act odd. When I launch a game it will only report 60fps. Very occasionally it will show the 120fps then alternate between 60 and 120. Is this normal?
Got a 3070 so should be good for most games, it seems smooth as silk playing. Nothing show on line. Not using ASW or anything odd, just using it for FPS.

Unless you've disabled it, that sounds like ASW kicking in. As soon as your fps drops below 120, it will cap it at 60 and engage ASW.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

King Vidiot posted:

I finally got back into Blade and Sorcery after that last big update, and it's looking a lot more stable and a lot closer to a real game. But every time I swing at an enemy my weapon just falls out of my hand when I hit them. I'm on an Index so I thought maybe I just wasn't gripping hard enough, but it only happens when I strike an enemy.

If anything the grip is too sensitive. It's basically impossible to throw because the slightest finger bend registers as me gripping the weapon.

Try going to the options menu and setting "max arm length reached" to "block"

This will give you SUPER KUNG FU GRIP and you won't ever drop your weapon or anything you pick up no matter what afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

There's no way for me to chat on a Discord voice channel while playing on my Quest 2, is there? Short of me being in the same room as my PC which is connected to it, I mean. I know how to stream it so my friends can watch me, but it kinda sucks that I can't chat back until I wrap up and head back to the computer.

Standalone, not to my knowledge. As a tethered/Air-Linked PC headset? Just set the microphone as the input device.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

Hmmm, trying to use the oculus tray too to check on performance and it seems to act odd. When I launch a game it will only report 60fps. Very occasionally it will show the 120fps then alternate between 60 and 120. Is this normal?
Got a 3070 so should be good for most games, it seems smooth as silk playing. Nothing show on line. Not using ASW or anything odd, just using it for FPS.

Well, you don't specify the game or what resolution/supersampling you are using. Maybe it's normal, maybe it isn't. I will say people underestimate the hardware needed right now for VR. Don't believe you can move every game at 120 fps, high supersampling and max settings with a 3070.
The performance hud in Oculus can be useful, as it shows the remaining % of free gpu resources you have available.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 25, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Goodguy3 posted:

Try going to the options menu and setting "max arm length reached" to "block"

This will give you SUPER KUNG FU GRIP and you won't ever drop your weapon or anything you pick up no matter what afterwards.

I guess that really was a feature then, not a bug. I knew something had to be fucky because if anything I grip too much. Don't even know why they'd have that as an option... for masochists?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber has now MP on PSVR (but no crossplay, lol), and they released a ~spooky Halloween~ (not really) song.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

did B&S have instant snap turning before or am i mandelaing myself?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Pimax event should have started already, but it seems it had a (literal) last minute delay, it will be in 3 or 4 hours now.

In any case , there are leaks that their new device will be a 'Pimax QLED 12K', for Q2 2022.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bigsteve posted:

You could try dropping your Quest to 92 fps. If the game is hovering around 120 it may be able to keep steady 92.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, you don't specify the game or what resolution/supersampling you are using. Maybe it's normal, maybe it isn't. I will say people underestimate the hardware needed right now for VR. Don't believe you can move every game at 120 fps, high supersampling and max settings with a 3070.
The performance hud in Oculus can be useful, as it shows the remaining % of free gpu resources you have available.

Tried it on Alyx and Lone echo 2 today. Alyx will sit at 120 then down to 60 for a bit then back up. Everything set at default. Have tried Lone echo on different visual settings and that just sits at 60. Guess you guys are right and it's just ASW kicking in. Will just try dissablin that to see if there is an effect.

Does turning off 120fps mode make a difference? As in ASW doesn't come on if it can handle 90 fps?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Saukkis posted:

You could try dropping your Quest to 92 fps. If the game is hovering around 120 it may be able to keep steady 92.

Answered while I was typing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

Tried it on Alyx and Lone echo 2 today. Alyx will sit at 120 then down to 60 for a bit then back up. Everything set at default. Have tried Lone echo on different visual settings and that just sits at 60. Guess you guys are right and it's just ASW kicking in. Will just try dissablin that to see if there is an effect.

Does turning off 120fps mode make a difference? As in ASW doesn't come on if it can handle 90 fps?

It will handle 90 fps, I think. Like another one said, surely it's falling to 115 fps, and then it has to go back to the 60 fps.

But make sure everything is at default, in both Oculus app (you can change the resolution for Link, wired or wireless) and SteamVR (which has some fame for putting whatever resolution supersampling it wants, careful it isn't auto).

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is the sword and sorcery dungeons update pretty substantial? Is it more of a real game yet?

Enjoyed Gorn and wanted something like it.,

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mang Tomas posted:

Is the sword and sorcery dungeons update pretty substantial? Is it more of a real game yet?

Even just having a goal of getting through the rooms/areas to the end point is enough to make it feel like a real game to me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mang Tomas posted:

It's the first step to have a real game. Now they have to put more dungeon rooms, goals, loot, progression, ....
Wait one more year.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Gorn with an actual full game behind the cool fighting mechanics would've been stellar.
Any decent dungeon crawlers or roguelike experiences out there? VR Dungeon Knight was shaping up to be fun but it hasn't updated in almost 2 years now and looks big time abandoned.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Well, Pimax new headset is what I wanted, its Wireless, 200fov, qled etc.. just a small catch.. starting price of 2400$ and Q4 2022.

Stuff stolen off reddit:

6k per eye
200deg Horiz, 135deg Vert FOV
35ppd, 1200 ppi
QLED backlight with array of 5,000 LEDS
newly designed hybrid aspherical and fresnel lens
claim of practically no distortion due to new processing algorithm
up to 200hz refresh rate
eye tracking
dynamic foveated rendering
Auto-IPD adjustment
facial tracking, hand tracking, etc. 11 cameras in total
Wireless 60ghz module
Deluxe Speaker Module included with standard 12k package
Changeable faceplate modules for MixedReality cameras

Oovee fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 25, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If someone wants to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfEDlAUGU0

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdw3WdkZgOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrURe07Q1lw

panic state fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So is there a consensus for Quest 2 between AirLink and Virtual Desktop? I own both but have been out of the VR game since AirLink came out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chin Strap posted:

So is there a consensus for Quest 2 between AirLink and Virtual Desktop? I own both but have been out of the VR game since AirLink came out.

I'd say if you own VD just use that, I find the UI much more usable and I also paid for it so I might as well keep using it.. I've heard VD works better on stable networks and AirLink better on slower/less stable networks but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Latency and quality were very similar for me, performance hit was slightly bigger with VD. That was some months ago.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

explosivo posted:

I'd say if you own VD just use that, I find the UI much more usable and I also paid for it so I might as well keep using it.. I've heard VD works better on stable networks and AirLink better on slower/less stable networks but I have no idea if that's true or not.

That’s roughly been my experience. Right next to my main router it’s pretty even, but farther away or next to the repeater AirLink is usually the safer choice

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oovee posted:

Well, Pimax new headset is what I wanted, its Wireless, 200fov, qled etc.. just a small catch.. starting price of 2400$ and Q4 2022.

Stuff stolen off reddit:

6k per eye
35ppd, 1200 ppi
up to 200hz refresh rate
eye tracking
Auto-IPD adjustment
Wireless 60ghz module

Sounds like a list of everything I wanted as well.

Aside from the year wait. And the price.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ever since they added that link sharpening thing to Airlink, I've found the visuals better on Airlink than VD in some games. They're basically comparable though. If you own both, boot up the same game back to back in each and see if any differences stick out to you.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

B&S looks like a lovely youtube video even on USB link. playing at 72Hz might help but ew

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Chin Strap posted:

VD is (much) better for anything 2D or SBS 3D. For VR, you’ll probably take a slight hit to performance - particularly with Oculus native stuff. You also trade ASW running on the PC for SSW running directly on the Quest 2 which is kind of a mixed bag since you gain a bit of performance but it looks noticeably worse (imo).

There’s also some edge case stuff like alternate eye rendering Vr mods and old abandon ware like DolphinVR where you’ll need to be running AirLink if you don’t want to vomit everywhere.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Bigsteve posted:

ASW kicks in as soon as you drop below your target framerate. So if you set refresh rate to 90, ASW won't kick in as long as you stay above 90. As soon as you drop below ASW will kick in and halve your target frame rate (45fps when your refresh is set to 90).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

This is kinda where I am.

Airlink is fine when it works but VD always seems to work sooo I use VD 99.99% of the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a bit they glossed over with the Sword controllers finally seeing the light of day... only they've given up on finger-tracking, cancelled the thumbstick version altogether, and removed one of the buttons on the touchpad version because... :shrug:. Which is really weird considering they showed off their own Touch-esque controllers.

So the Swords are now basically just redesigned Vive Wands in functionality. TBH if the trackpad's decent, and they'll play nice with a regular SteamVR headset without the Pimax software, I might actually consider grabbing a set to retire my old Wands for good.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Virtual Desktop also recently got a visual update that brings image quality up to more or less AirLink standards.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That would explain things then, I tried VD the other day and was surprised at the sudden uptick in quality.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a bit they glossed over with the Sword controllers finally seeing the light of day... only they've given up on finger-tracking, cancelled the thumbstick version altogether, and removed one of the buttons on the touchpad version because... :shrug:. Which is really weird considering they showed off their own Touch-esque controllers.

So the Swords are now basically just redesigned Vive Wands in functionality. TBH if the trackpad's decent, and they'll play nice with a regular SteamVR headset without the Pimax software, I might actually consider grabbing a set to retire my old Wands for good.

They made this announcement a while ago complaining how SteamVR doesn't have support for third-party finger tracking and buttons, which is weird since SteamVR drivers are supposed to let you slap on whatever you want onto controllers. Maybe they're limited to using Valves built-in lighthouse driver or something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/pzc70d/sword_sense_controller_update/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Walking Dead S&S has done $50M in revenue

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Oovee posted:

Stuff stolen off reddit:

6k per eye
35ppd, 1200 ppi
up to 200hz refresh rate
eye tracking
Auto-IPD adjustment
Wireless 60ghz module

After this and the new Varjo I get the feeling that if the rumors about Valve's next headset features are even only like 3/4ths true it is going to be in the $1500-$2000 range as well. This tech is amazing, but drat is it getting real expensive to get on the cutting edge.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I got onto my Quest 2 after the last major software update ( 33? ) and I found Airlink superior to tethered performance ( based on my time with Alyx ) so I'm super happy with that. I did upgrade my wireless card in my PC to Wifi 6 as well as getting a cheap Wifi 6 router in anticipation and didn't need to bother with VD so I don't have comparative context, so I'm in the Airlink is super cool and you don't have to get VD if you don't already have it camp.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 26, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is new? Never heard of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagUdtLtxyg

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just started playing Into the Radius. Very, very impressed so far!

I really really like how hands-on it is. Holster for the pistol, over-the-shoulder for a bigger weapon, pistol magazine slots in front, pouch on the left for bits and pieces. Whole freakin backpack for storing boxes of ammo with which to refill your magazines. And the cherry on top is it doesn't suffer from that "walk backwards while hand is by my side" issue!

(which I'm starting to think is caused by people not actually developing for the Index controller correctly. I think Zero Caliber predates it, and I see in the H3VR videos they put out they're using Vive wands. Anyway...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

I just started playing Into the Radius. Very, very impressed so far!

Looking at the latest change logs, it makes me think it's still really in Early Access phase, he put it out of EA and advanced to 1.0 because... reasons.
One of the latest entries mentions a new location, he refers to it the 'end game level'. I mean, it's good he is creating new free content in updates, of course! But it makes me think the game still should have the 'early access' label and he removed it to increase sales.